2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Sleeman Fine Porter (68*) - Sleeman Breweries Ltd.

Sleeman Fine Porter (68*)Sleeman Fine Porter (68*)

Sleeman Breweries Ltd. visit their website
Ontario, Canada

English Porter |  5.50% ABV

The first in the John Sleeman Presents series, Sleeman Fine Porter is straight from page 68 of the family recipe book. The original Porters were the drink of the working class in 1700s England where they were seen to be more nutritious. Take a sip of history today and experience this brew just as George Sleeman presented it back in the 1800s.

(Beer added by: maxpower on 11-06-2005)
View: Beers (19) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sleeman Fine Porter (68*) Alström Bros
Ratings: 95 | Reviews: 80 | Show All Ratings:
baxterbrew

Tennessee

4.6/5  rDev +48.9%

Fantastic beer! I think it might be the best porter that I've ever tasted.

A: Dark Dark Dark, with hints of red around the edges. Pours with a nice head with faint lacing around the edges.

S: Hoppy, very faint here.

T: Very balanced. Definitely malty but the hops clear the palate nicely. There is a mild fruity note here.

M: Thick, creamy mouthfeel.

D: I could drink these all night. Again one of the best!

05-15-2007 01:12:13 | More by baxterbrew
rm0312

Idaho

3.05/5  rDev -1.3%

Looks good in the glass - very dark brown - just like a porter should. The off-white head was also appealing. After all that, the taste was a bit disappointing though. I love porters and this didn’t quite live up to my expectations. I liked it well enough to finish the six-pack I received through my beer club but I don’t believe I’d purchase it on my own.

05-22-2007 20:10:32 | More by rm0312
Popkorn615

2.9/5  rDev -6.1%

A - Pours a dark brown, near black, body with a two-fingered, light tan colored head that slowly dissipates to a 1cm covering. Low carbonation, but decent lacing.

S - Nutty, malty, and dark chocolatey.

T - Coffee and dark chocolate flavors push through the most. The Sleeman Porter *68 leaves a little bitter, nutty aftertaste which personally I did not find too appealing at all. The taste isn't that strong either. An overly strong taste can be a negative, but so can a weak taste, and I believe that's what this beer possesses.

M - Although there are a sporadic few moments (very few) where the beer feels slightly "fluffy" at times, for the most part it is a touch too watery for my taste. It lacks actual body and feels as if you are almost drinking water with its low carbonation and lack of warmth and thickness.

D - I've recently become a dark beer connoisseur, and this was one beer that I had to try just to add it to my list of beers that I've tasted before. Unfortunately, it will probably remain there - on the list of beers that I have 'once' tried, for I don't think that I will be voluntarily choosing, or even recommending, this beer, as I was very displeased with its overall rating. I think I need to go pick me up a case of Sam Adams Cream Stout to refresh my taste buds.

06-09-2008 02:23:32 | More by Popkorn615
drlumps62

3.03/5  rDev -1.9%

Served in a frosted glass at 40-45 degrees.

A: Probably what I liked the most about this brew. Poured a dark brown that could barely be seen through.The head was a 1" tan head that disappeared fast. The lacing was tight and present all the way down to the end of the glass.

S: Nothing jumped out at me.

T: Mild everything. Not that it is bad, I just prefer more. There is a mild smokiness along with a sweet maltiness. Then you get a slight bitterness. Then it was over.

M: A little weight here. Pleasent balance. Here, middle of the road counts.

D: Yeah. Nothing unpleasant here.

06-24-2007 22:25:15 | More by drlumps62
SuperSnake

Ontario (Canada)

2.13/5  rDev -31.1%

I was so disappointed in this beer. Drank this along side fuller's london porter and it does not stand up.

A: Deep brown light enough to see a reddish colour

S:Slight sweet smell but very macro grain smell also.

T: Bitter with a weird fruit licorice roasty taste.

Mouthfeel: Light bitter

Drinkability: Not good

Not goo get Fullers London Porter for sure

10-02-2010 06:28:31 | More by SuperSnake
Sleeman Fine Porter (68*) from Sleeman Breweries Ltd.