Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Sleeman Fine Porter (68*) - Sleeman Breweries Ltd.

Sleeman Fine Porter (68*)Sleeman Fine Porter (68*)

Sleeman Breweries Ltd. visit their website
Ontario, Canada

English Porter |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: DrJay on 10-30-2004

The first in the John Sleeman Presents series, Sleeman Fine Porter is straight from page 68 of the family recipe book. The original Porters were the drink of the working class in 1700s England where they were seen to be more nutritious. Take a sip of history today and experience this brew just as George Sleeman presented it back in the 1800s.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sleeman Fine Porter (68*) Alström Bros
firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
1.92/5  rDev -37.3%

Poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass. Prior descriptions have pretty much nailed the overall look and smell of the beer. I got a 3 inch head out of my pour though. This particular porter is quite bitter and not as rich as I'd hoped due to the excessive carbonation. The mouthfeel is slightly frothy (as expected with this level of carbonation) and the aftertaste seems to be more alcohol than anything else. At only 5.5% ABV I'm surprised the alcohol flavor is as noticeable as it is.

Overall, not what I would call a good representation of the style.

4.52/5  rDev +47.7%

Fantastic beer! I think it might be the best porter that I've ever tasted.

A: Dark Dark Dark, with hints of red around the edges. Pours with a nice head with faint lacing around the edges.

S: Hoppy, very faint here.

T: Very balanced. Definitely malty but the hops clear the palate nicely. There is a mild fruity note here.

M: Thick, creamy mouthfeel.

D: I could drink these all night. Again one of the best!

3.06/5  rDev 0%

Looks good in the glass - very dark brown - just like a porter should. The off-white head was also appealing. After all that, the taste was a bit disappointing though. I love porters and this didn’t quite live up to my expectations. I liked it well enough to finish the six-pack I received through my beer club but I don’t believe I’d purchase it on my own.

3.02/5  rDev -1.3%

Served in a frosted glass at 40-45 degrees.

A: Probably what I liked the most about this brew. Poured a dark brown that could barely be seen through.The head was a 1" tan head that disappeared fast. The lacing was tight and present all the way down to the end of the glass.

S: Nothing jumped out at me.

T: Mild everything. Not that it is bad, I just prefer more. There is a mild smokiness along with a sweet maltiness. Then you get a slight bitterness. Then it was over.

M: A little weight here. Pleasent balance. Here, middle of the road counts.

D: Yeah. Nothing unpleasant here.

2.14/5  rDev -30.1%

I was so disappointed in this beer. Drank this along side fuller's london porter and it does not stand up.

A: Deep brown light enough to see a reddish colour

S:Slight sweet smell but very macro grain smell also.

T: Bitter with a weird fruit licorice roasty taste.

Mouthfeel: Light bitter

Drinkability: Not good

Not goo get Fullers London Porter for sure

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
Sleeman Fine Porter (68*) from Sleeman Breweries Ltd.