Sleeman Cream Ale (64*) - Sleeman Breweries Ltd.

Sleeman Cream Ale (64*)Sleeman Cream Ale (64*)

poor

Sleeman Breweries Ltd. visit their website
Ontario, Canada

Cream Ale |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: John on 10-26-2001

Created by George Sleeman in the late 1800s, Sleeman Cream Ale was the first brand produced by the two Guelph breweries, and still remains our most recognized brand.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sleeman Cream Ale (64*) Alström Bros
1.03/5  rDev -63.7%

Bottle: Poured a light yellow ale with a thin white bubbly head that’s disappearing way too fast. I can already smell skunk has a poured the beer. The taste is quite weak with a mix of light malt and a weak creamy feeling. This is truly a bad beer (could be a bad bottle but what do people expect with clear bottle!!!).

1.2/5  rDev -57.7%

Crystal clear in appearance, perhaps from filtering and pasteurizing. Seriously, Indistinguishable from MGD except that its a little more orange, but head retention is the same, non-existent. The lacing is decent enough, but still white and foamy, not great for the style. Very unimpressed.

Smells like a weak glass of white wine, perhaps a white zinfandel. I'm not trying to be mean to this brew, but that's really all I get. No hops, though I suppose the very light fruitiness is from them, but you wouldn't know them from white wine so...Also I may, it's really hard to tell, get a hint of some European hops, though they would have to be a lot lighter than Saaz. Also not impressed, hardly recognizable as beer.

A little sweet, like apple juice. Not even cider for this one, the taste is non-existent. Once again, I feel bad saying all this, but I'm just telling it like it is.

Mouthfeel is dry and mildly bitter and mildly sweet. I really want to stress mild here. Seriously, like a weak white wine, almost exactly. At least it feels like something.

I find no redeeming qualities in this beer. It's a light beer, a light beer that costs $10 a six pack. I know I'm sounding like a broken record with this one, but I would rather have an MGD, which I consider having superior carbonation and at least tastes and smells like a weak pilsner, not a glass of white wine. I won't spill it out, oh no, since I could use it to wash dishes, water the plants, or at the very least its like 5% abv water, which almost sounds like fun...almost.

1.42/5  rDev -50%

A: pours a straw color with a fizzy head. A significant amount of carbonation rises continually to the surface.

S: Putrid smell. Awful vegetal aroma - something like a mixture of corn and peas - combined with vomit and diapers. I've never had a beer that smelled worse.

T: Light and bland adjunct malt flavor. Somewhat sweet.

M: Light bodied with fizzy carbonation.

D: Awful. I need a Bud or Corona or something to chase this one. Yuck.

1.47/5  rDev -48.2%
look: 1 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Originally reviewed April 9, 2005. On tap at the Gitchee Gumee Brewfest 2005. Wow, this is one of the most putrid beers I’ve ever had. It stinks of bad fruit and must. Tastes bland and skunky, even on tap. Extremely watery and almost painful to drink.

1.65/5  rDev -41.9%

The word "Sleeman" just sounds dirty for some reason. Pours a clear light gold color with a thin white head that was gone quickly. Very little lacing. The aroma is lightly skunky and sweet at the same time. Light-bodied and kind of fizzy with a nondescript flavor. Bland hops and vague sweetness here and there is about it. The finish is clean, bubbly and faintly sweet. Doesn’t do much for me.

1.69/5  rDev -40.5%

I tried this once and it taste horrible. I thought that maybe it was skunked. So I tried it again, still horrible. After reading other reviews I think it just might be the beer and not the clear bottle (WHY!?). Well, this beer simply smelled and tasted pungent. Pilsner like skunkiness times 10. Real grainy taste in the mouth and some residual sweetness. Strong alcohol flavor, which is weird since it's very moderate in abv. A slight creaminess in the middle was the only thing I liked about this beer. Not recommended.

1.83/5  rDev -35.6%

Second beer from a Sleeman sample pack. 330ml bottle poured into a pint glass. Pale clear straw color with a fizzy and puny white head that holds in exactly the way the Miami Dolphins defense doesn't. A little bit of fairly sticky lacing, but that's the sole redeeming quality of the appearance of this beer.

Aroma is adjunct-laden and just a hint of musky hoppiness.

The flavor is sweet rice and just a tiny hint of pale roasted malts. A bit of skunkiness. All in all, bad.

The mouthfeel finishes in sort of the same way as a cream soda, which is sort of expected. But it's thin, watery, and bubbly. I think this is the beer Stone had in mind for its "Fizzy yellow beer is for wussies" slogan. Do yourself a favor and skip this one.

1.9/5  rDev -33.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Pours a clear light amber with fast fading white head. Smell: alcohol and grains. Taste: grains, alcohol, slight tannin-ness. Mouthfeel: watery thin and harshly crisp with a slimy finish. Basically it tastes like a poor attempt at a cream ale, watery and too much alcohol upfront for 5%. Not even on the Genny Cream level.

1.94/5  rDev -31.7%

pours out a very light straw colour...huge white head and lots of lace...again, looks nice in a glass. more adjuct aroma in the nose...cooked corn and some earthy grassiness. i'm not sure what a cream ale is supposed to taste like in all it's glory, but i'm not too terribly impressed by this. if cream ale and cream corn are one and the same...this one hits its mark perfectly. the body is medium with a creamy smooth mouthfeel that leads to a slightly crisp finish. it's tastes like miller high life...i'm not kidding...i don't mind my high life tasting like a cream ale....but i don't expect my cream ales to taste like a cheap macro lager.

these sleeman's offerings are totally lame. don't even waste your time on these adjunct ridden, syrupy sweet "beers".

This was really a letdown, the buyer at a new store that opened up near my house big-dealed this to me...I had never heard of the brewery so I thought i'd give it a shot. Got this and thier porter, both were atrocious. This pretty much has the same flavor profile as a typical macro adjunct lager, I realize that some of this is part of the style but there is nothing here which would make it worthwhile to drink this rather than a Bud, Coors, or the like. avoid.

BTW, I'm not sure what the difference is between this being the " cream ale 64" and the regular cream ale.

2.11/5  rDev -25.7%

341ml clear bottle poured in a dimpled mug. I like the relief on the bottle of a beaver and maple leaf as well as just the neck label, but I still don't understand the clear bottle. I guess it's just their gimmick on the Canadian market.

Clear, gold colour. Off-white head is 1/2 inch at the pour buy disappears almost immediately leaving just a thin ring around the edge. Some sporadic thin lacing.

The aroma is mild, but mostly corn with a little grainy background.

Taste is corn and grain at the start with a mild candy corn finish. There is a harsh chemical/floral accent to the finish which carries over to dominate the aftertaste. Not to my liking.

Light bodied and fizzy mouthfeel.

I really think they should rename it as an Adjunct Ale instead of Cream Ale. Move along, nothing to see here.

EDIT: Tried one of these again recently (thanx to my friend Shawn for the brew) and I think it was definitely better. Still not great, but not as harsh as in the past.

2.2/5  rDev -22.5%

Appearance- A very seltzery head with no retention or film or ring. Color is a pale blonde with some alright lacing. This looks more like a pilsner than a cream ale. More like a lager than an ale!!

Smell- Smells like a lager that tried in vain to be some kind of ale, maybe cream. Maybe some cream soda aroma if the soda was diluted with seltzer water, heavily.

Taste- Very light hint of watery cream. Some alright carbonation hint at the light malting in this beer.

Mouthfeel- Very light for any so called ale I've had. This was not a good intro into cream ales. But I'll continue to try.

look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a very pale yellow straw color with a minimum white soapy head. The smell is a bit funky, through that you get hints of rye and grain, small amount of lemon. The taste is light and smooth, it is light refreshing, I expected more. If to pair with food I found it nice with a good Chicken Caesar salad. Clean and drinkable in hot sticky summer heat.

look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Purchased as part of "build-your-own-six-pack" at local grocer. Poured a very light yellow, with a thick head. Smell was light, but had a distinct "dustiness" to it, rather unflattering. Taste was completely unremarkable. Nothing there, really. Left a slight coat in my mouth. I felt there really wasn't anything exciting about it at all. Not terrible, just boring.

2.23/5  rDev -21.5%

Pours yellow to light gold. Sweet corn & rice smells mix with a sour? smell. Taste is starchy sweetness with a little skunkiness. A hint of bitterness and alcohol at the finish. As it warms the starchy sweetness is more pronounced. Very little body to speak of.

2.28/5  rDev -19.7%

Another in the series of beers brewed from a nearly forgotten little black book of pre-prohibition family recipies (do you sense my skepticism?) Without doing a side-by-side, I couldn't be sure, but I really don't know that this is much different, if any, from the regular production cream ale. A bit tinny and tired, with poorly melded flavors. The end result is both harsh and boring.

2.28/5  rDev -19.7%

A bottle of this mysteriously showed up in my beer fridge. Pours a golden color with virtually no head or lacing. Smell is like apple cider, no skunkiness detected. The apple cider follows through with the flavor as well, except it has a sour note to it. Tastes more like a sour hard cider though there is a touch of sweetness that sails in on the tail. Not something I would buy in the future, in fact this is one of the worst beers I've had in some time. The last inch or so was a drain pour.

Sleeman Cream Ale (64*) from Sleeman Breweries Ltd.