Laker Red - Brick Brewing Co.

Laker RedLaker Red

Brick Brewing Co. visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Amber / Red Lager |  5.50% ABV

This medium-bodied reddish copper lager is brewed with malted Canadian barley giving this brew all the flavour and satisfaction one would expect from a premium ruby red beer.

(Beer added by: Sammy on 08-26-2004)
Reviews by thehyperduck:
2.36/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

341 mL bottle from a 12-pack picked up at TBS. At $15 a 12-pack (with a free tallboy of Laker Ice included inside!), this has got to be one of the better deals at the Beer Store right now. But perhaps I'm being too hasty - I mean, this beer has reviews going back to 2004, and I'm only the 10th soul brave (or bored) enough to offer any feedback on it. How bad can it really be? Served well-chilled.

Pours a bright orange-amber colour, generating a half-finger of dense, frothy, off-white coloured head at the surface. It vanishes quickly over the next minute or two, leaving behind a soapy cap and narrow collar. A serviceable-looking amber, although I can't really say the same of the aroma, with cereal grains and caramel/butterscotch sweetness being the only things I can readily identify. This is pretty much what I'd expect an amber buck-a-beer to smell like.

And for the record, it tastes that way too. The malts dominate throughout, grainy at first, but this is quickly subsumed by the butterscotch and caramel sweetness, which remains relentless and annoying into the finish. Sweet aftertaste of brown sugar and cardboard, leaving a somewhat syrupy feel behind on the palate. Light-bodied, with relatively high carbonation that makes this brew a little bloat-inducing. Not the most drinkable amber I've ever had, or the most drinkable cheap beer for that matter.

Final Grade: 2.36, a disappointing D+. Not my cup of tea; I generally don't mind cheap beers, but I've yet to find a value-brand amber that I wanted to drink in quantities of any consequence. With its cloying, one-note flavour and sticky, gross mouthfeel, Laker Red 5.5 is one of the weakest amber lagers I've ever had, and it is easily outclassed by macro equivalents like Sleeman Honey Brown or Rickard's Red. This is more poorly balanced than either of those, and I can't seriously recommend it to anyone that I'm not trying to obtain revenge upon. If you're looking for a cheap amber beer to slog back socially, pass on this and give Upper Canada Dark a try.

1.95/5  rDev -31.6%

Some malt, some hop, watery, taste is marginal carmel. OK for cooking. Some aroma but could turn off others. Big head but temporary. Metallic cheap bitter aftertaste. Junky Brick beer for a distracted TV sports fan with fatty food to cover up a cheap quick high.

3.21/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Got it free in a 24pk of Ice. Served at 4deg C in a draught glass

A- Opens well and pours a high head that dissipates in 1min. Yup it's got a red color is so amber

S- Not a lot here.

T- Not bad. Not great but not bad.

M- Nice and light on the tongue. Excellent carbonation.

O- Pretty good. Excellent for free but would not buy

Food Pairing

This ok beer pairs similar to Bud or Millar

Enjoy

1.73/5  rDev -39.3%

5.50% abv, 341mL bottle. No freshness date. Fridge temp. Into a Leffe goblet.

Almost maroonish red. Looks like it was food coloured. A few mm of head.

Nose is a bit sour and astringent. Very grainy. Noble hops. Lager yeast.

Very sweet palate, aggressively carbonated mouthfeel but watery. Ends on fruity, pungent notes, herbal hops. Metallic. Bad.

A waste of barley.

1.63/5  rDev -42.8%

Bottle- Dark amber colour pour, with a thin and semi active off white head. Cereal, corn and whacked out caramel malt in the nose. Bittersweet poor/stale malt flavours, sweet grain and corn. Skunky and stale finish. Not that great. Maker' a laker!!!

4.5/5  rDev +57.9%

3.05/5  rDev +7%

This beer looks good, nice amber-red color. The smell however isn't anything to call home about. It however doesn't taste too bad, a little watery however. That in itself makes it fairly easy to drink. Overall i'd say if you want a cheap drinkable brew, this will do the job.

3.05/5  rDev +7%

A: Coppery reddish color with a big, yet artificial head of foam. Crystal clear presenation. Medium low levels of carbonation. No lacing in the glass.

S: Watery grain and malt extract. Some bland bread and biscuit notes. Mild grassy aroma is present, with some cloying sweetness and spice. Mild caramel backbone.

T: Mild buttery malt and refined sugar sweetness. Slight notes of hay and grass. Reminds me of mineral water mixed with beer. Hops are nearly non-exsistant, with carmel overtones mending the flavors together.

M: Somewhat flat, with little carbonation being noted on the palate. Watery, albeit still refreshing.

D: Not an outstanding beer by any means, yet I could see this coming back during the dog days of summer.

Notes: Special thanks to biegaman for the 12 oz sample.

2.35/5  rDev -17.5%

Second of the terrible trio of "dollar" beers I got from Brick. Same fizzy carbonation and poor head retention as the other Buck a beer Bricks....except it’s a light amber gold color. Same near odorless aroma of wet rice paper except there are hints of caramel. Spritzy weak mouth feel but at least there is a light caramel malt taste and some fruity esters that come in in the fast finish ( possibly flavored and colored with an adjunct agent)...probably the best of the Laker line for what that’s worth....still too weak and watery to be taken seriously.

2.6/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

served from brown 330 mL bottle.
it says "strong beer" on the side of the bottle, which is funny. it's only half a percent stronger than the regular laker products. also, this site lists the beer as an american pale ale, but that really surprised me, because the taste is strictly lager-ish. there's absolutely no body to this beer at all. it pours a nice reddish color, but there's no head, just fizzy carbonation. even at 5.5% abv, you can taste the alcohol. very little flavor other than a slightly sweet tinge of malt. definitely a cheapo beer that is pretty drinkable, but doesn't offer much else.

it's also one of ontario's cheapest beers...at only $5 CDN per 6-pack.

2.5/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Pours a copper red color with an off white patchy head and moderate streaks of lace left behind. The aroma is malty and vegetal, with a measure of caramel. The taste is sweet first with some apple, caramel and herbal hop flavors. The finish is too sweet. The mouthfeel is syrupy but also light. Its hard to describe, there is a light feel yet a mouthcoating feel.

This is a passable red ale. It lack balance and any sort of depth, but its at least drinkable... and cheap.

3.5/5  rDev +22.8%

4.75/5  rDev +66.7%

3.35/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Honestly, this beer has got a bit of a bum rap on here. It is definitely not my go to beer, and never will be. My typical cheap, casual beer (Red Cap) was not available at TBS I was at today, so I picked up a 12 pack of this on price point alone, and I am impressed overall with what I got.

The beer had a lot more flavour than I was expecting going into it. There was a little less hoppiness than I would expect from an amber-red, but it was still well orchestrated with enough of a caramel finish that I was pleasantly surprised with what I got. I haven't experienced the metallic after taste in any of the bottles I've drank this far, so it's possible they have altered their recipe since the reviews that noted that were posted.

As for appearance, the beer definitely looked amber in colour, which I was fretting if it would live up to it's name going into it. The smell is not pleasant and could definitely put people off. It reeks of cheap.

Overall, I'd still rather have my Red Cap, as it is better than this, but this beer should not be written off. Worth a try. If you are ever in the mood to switch it up with a cheap beer, or want to have some variety at a party or get together, I would definitely recommend picking this up.

EDIT: I came across a little more negative that I would like earlier. This may not be my go to, but I would definitely purchase it again. I might mix and match with this (a 12 pack of this and another). The smell eventually grew on me as the night went on, and I think the beer was quite tasty. Definitely try it if you get a chance.

Laker Red from Brick Brewing Co.