Brick Waterloo Dark Lager - Brick Brewing Co.

Brick Waterloo Dark LagerBrick Waterloo Dark Lager

poor

Brick Brewing Co. visit their website
Ontario, Canada

Euro Dark Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-02-2002

Looks dark, tastes light. It's Ontario's favourite dark lager. A dark beer that is slowly brewed with Canadian grown malted barley, specialty coloured malts, imported hops and pure cultured brewers yeast.

Dark lagers are enjoyed all year long, and they're not as filling as ales. Waterloo Dark will cut some of the heaviness in sauce-based meat dishes. Waterloo Dark is an equally perfect beer to go with appetizers suitable for watching sports games, or used as an actual ingredient when preparing a meal.

Experience what this great dark "light tasting" lager has to offer and why it has won multiple awards at the World Cup of Beer, Canadian Brewing Awards, Ontario Brewing Awards and the Monde Selection International Institute For Quality Selections.
Ratings: 164 | Reviews: 90
Reviews by JustinBathurst:
2.4/5  rDev -21.3%

I spent a week in Kitchener-Waterloo and as a result got a crash-course in local brews. This one was usually available. I tried it first on tap, then in a bottle. On tap was better for sure, as the bottled dark tasted like sap.

Dark appearance, still somewhat watery on tap, faintly sweet, but with absolutely no life to recommend it after one glass. If I was offered it, I think I'd pass.

2.5/5  rDev -18%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

473 mL can purchased at the Niagara Falls The Beer Store.

Thin lacing, the head is lacking big time. Very dark color with shades of chestnut glowing in the light. Very sweet aroma, smells of caramel and nutella ... cloying at that. Medium body, slick crispness with a bit of smoothness. Wet thin maltiness, vaguely toasted and very sweet. Very little hop character, small bitterness that has a problem to keep balance. Sweetness is borderline cloying, caramel and sugary ... almost like unfermented wort. Obviously sweet in the finish.

A tad boring and not very drinkable. Bland comes to mind.

2.99/5  rDev -2%

A smallish light brown head settles into a nice lacing above a clear dark red wine to amber colored beer.

Very thin nose, maybe a little dark roasted malts in the aroma.

A very light taste of dark roasted caramel malts, kind of reminds me of a watered down Amber Bock but in a good way almost. When one thinks of something watered down they almost always got to it getting a more negative taste, but this might work in this beers advantage given the situation.

A very light almost dryish aftertaste on this light to medium bodied beer.

This is another beer that to me would appeal to people that are trying to get away from the typical Bud Light type beer. This to me could be considered a gateway beer for future Rogue and Stone drinkers.

2.44/5  rDev -20%

473ml can. After their amber lager, and against my better judgment, I present to you...

This beer pours a clear, very dark reddish amber colour, with three fingers of thin puffy, foamy beige head, which leaves some broad porous rock face lace around the glass as it quickly (almost with perceptible guilt) fades away.

It smells of sour grain, a bit of stale bread, and dying, somewhat skanky grass. The taste is more sour, skunkiness, hard to tell if the grain or the hops are at fault - it's an opaque aluminum can, so who the hell knows. All I know is that I'm getting flavours that just don't mesh with what I'm looking at. Ok, so after settling down a wee bit, I do get some mild caramel notes, but this doesn't eliminate the aforementioned ugliness.

The bubbles are a tad frizzy and loose, but not really all that impactful, the body a lightweight, bordering on thin, and not smooth, a rising metallic edge taking care of that. It finishes off-dry, a mix between old bread and cooked veggies.

Urg. What is it with the stuff that Brick sends West? Both this and the Amber Lager taste like a buck-a-beer, with a stingy dose of caramel syrup stirred in. Not even up to Rickard's Red's oh so lofty standards. Uneven, and unappetizing.

2.63/5  rDev -13.8%

Dark, sourish, true to its style but certainly not the best example of it. Quaffable but weak mouthfeel. Modest taste some chocolate malt.Spot of coffee and nuts, the latter like a brown. Even a hint of licorice. Reasonable carbonation. Malty but not cloying sweet.

2.62/5  rDev -14.1%

Strange colour...dark-brown with blood-red where light shines through. It's really dark but clear at the same time. It looks like a glass of store-brand cola. A hard pour resulted in almost no head, what did appear fading to a thin ring around the glass. No lacing.

While the head is around it smells completely different then after it disappears. Head version: chicken salad, iron, astringent wheat, some roastyness. Weird smell. Glass of cola version: faint chocolaty malt. This is more like what the beer actually tastes like.

The taste is thankfully better than the look or smell would have you think, though only marginally. For a dark beer this is really lacking in flavour. It's not offensive, just quite thin tasting. Watered-down tastes of roasted malt and wheat with the faintest trace of molasses. Way too thin. Not particularly well-balanced, it's a little on the sweet side. No aftertaste, almost like you have to wonder if it was even in your mouth. It just disappears.

Oddly enough, there's actually something I like about the feel but I can't quite put my finger on it. It's thin-bodied and oddly carbonated, feeling artificial. Maybe there's nothing here to experience but the bubbles tickling my tongue and so I'm left to enjoy only that.

Yeah, this is drinkable but not a beer I'll ever be buying again. It goes down alright and tastes like a macro. Easy drinking but no reason to be drinking it other than if you didn't know any better. I bought this one because it called itself a craft beer on the can. Too bad it doesn't taste like it is.

Also, where does it say this is a dunkel? The can I have only says premium dark, nothing else.

3.55/5  rDev +16.4%

Pours out cola brown, and started with a nice large tan head. However, by the time I had taken a few smells of the beer, the head was gone.

Smells like root beer. Maybe just a hint of coffee and nuts in there.

Flavours are fairly light. Bit of that nuttiness and coffee, but neither is powerful. A little bit sweet. Inoffensive all the way through.

Mouthfeel is thin, but not too thin, with a mild carbonation. Comfortable. The beer goes down easy due its light flavour, body and carbonation.

I was expecting to be very disappointed by this beer, as it was given to me by a friend who really didn't like it. After trying it though, I wouldn't mind having it again.

3.26/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Purchased at the LCBO for $2.20 for a 473ml can. Served at 7deg C in a draught glass

A- Opens well and pours a tiny white head that is gone in 1min. Very dark brown. Filtered clear

S- Not much here at all. Was expecting something but got next to nothing.

T- Not too good. Has some roasted body but not much else. Some nuts and malt

M- Dry and tart.

O- Not a very good beer. I rated it high and still not a good rating. Will not buy again. Thank goodness I can try beers 473ml to 500ml one at a time as I would be upset if I bought a case of 24 bottles.

Food Pairing

This beer pairs well with...... Potato chips, just to get it down LOL

Enjoy

2.98/5  rDev -2.3%

A - dark - hint of deep cherry - 2 finger head that disappeared quickly - the only appearance of carbonation in the experience - no laciness

S - burnt malt and sweet - nothing too complex

T - Straight up malt and molasses - too sweet for me - not entirely bad though for the price - something artificial about the taste - a wee bite on the end but little in the way of hops - unbalanced

M - not much to say here - little carbonation - light body - dry on the end

O - I prefer this when I have no money and grab this over other buck a beers but it is a somewhat weak facsimile of a dark beer (lager) - glad I live close to Grand River Brewery and not the Brick

2.55/5  rDev -16.4%

Bottle: Poured a clear above average brown color lager with a large foamy head with good retention and minimal lacing. Aroma of lightly sweet caramel malt. Taste is also dominated by lightly sweet malt note. Definitely too thin for the style with some average carbonation. Refreshing but a bit thin and lacing some flavour.

2.8/5  rDev -8.2%

A-Pour a dark reddish brown, forming a small head that rapidly falls into a thin ring around the edges. No lacing.
S-Thick, sweet chocolate and caramel w/slightly roasted malt and no apparent hop presence. Smells cloying.
T-Flavors of light caramel and sweet chocolate and roasted malt. Light clean mineral and faint salt before finish.
M-Slightly cloying and on the sweet side w/residual sugar. Carbonation is modest and adequate, remaining through the midpalate but fading before the finish. Lack of rounded bitterness leaves it unbalanced. Finish is cleaner at lower temperatures, but the brew gets more cloying and heavier as it gets warmer.
D-Not impressive, but decent enough to finish.

3.65/5  rDev +19.7%

This was much nicer than I was expecting. People seem like they may have a prejudice against this beer— that, or I guess my taste preference might just be more unique/broad.

For what it is (which I'll get to), it's very good in my opinion, although obviously not everyone likes what it is.
This is a sweet tasting (not necessarily added sugar or anything, but a sweet vibe), malty beer, with a bit of roasted flavor as well. The hops are very minor in this beer. Not particularly noticeable neither at the start nor lingering afterwards. Some people may not like that, but I certainly like it.

The carbonation consistency is average, and carbonation level is medium high in my opinion. It looks similar to many stouts that aren't using nitro; very dark with average beige head.

Highly recommended to anyone that likes very malty beers and/or sweet-FLAVOR beers and who don't like much hops in their beer. If you like lots of hops and/or don't like lots of malt, stay far away from this. I bought some of these on clearance for just under 2$ per 473 can, and will buy more if I can get them cheap. Great value for Canadians (best I've had for under 50¢/100ml)

3.13/5  rDev +2.6%

As the last reviewer noted, I'm not sure this is a dark ale - seemed much more like a dark lager. I checked the brewery's website, and they did not identify which branch of the beer family tree this is from. A pleasant dark beer, whatever it is. Mild roasted malt with a touch of grainy sweetness. Firm bittering at the finish. Quite mild, overall.

2.06/5  rDev -32.5%

Hmmmm, this would be the 3rd sample from Brick that I've tried (first review though), and I've come to the conclusion that from my experience their beers seem to be very lacking in flavour and body. I do however love the stubbies though.

This dark lager poured out of its stubbie a clear mahogany colour, reddish highlights when held up to the light. No real head to speak of. Aroma is practically non-existant, I'm picking up nothing on the radar. There, I went and blew my nose. Now I get the faintest of sweet malt on the first whiff, but the longer I smell I lose the scent after that first whiff. Looks like I've spent my whiff now, all the aroma is gone. I've seemingly smelled all of the aroma right out of the beer. But what I did catch was sweet toasted malt.

The flavour at first sip is nearly cloyingly sweet, but then gets up on two wheels, spins out and heads in the opposite direction with a more husky grain finish. Right there in the middle, that's when it happens, you can see the blue smoke and the skid marks even. Still, flavour is lacking. I'd like to say the mouthfeel is watery, but it does possess a bit of body to it. However the flavour is quite watery, and that's what throws me off.

I can't say I could recommend this to anyone else at all, not in good conscience at least, it is very mediocre and not worth your hard earned money (especially what I paid for it here in Alberta). I do like the stubbie bottles though.

2.48/5  rDev -18.7%

A: practically opaque dark cola.
S: simple, pine, yeastiness. Simple lager smell.
T: Not much maltiness. Close your eyes and you couldn't tell it has a speck of dark malt. Clean, simple. Not much there. Noticeable bitterness and maybe even some sourness in the finish.
M: fine.
O: Bias declaration: I just don't see the point of dark lagers. Either buy a lager or buy an ale. A dark lager tries to be both and ends up being nothing. Last time I try one.

2.54/5  rDev -16.7%

Clear dark amber with a slight creamy tan head that quickly fades. The smell is faint and malt heavy. The flavors also are tilted to the maltier side.. sweet maltiness with just the slightest suggestion of hops. Light bodied with seltzery carbonation, finishes a little too sweet. Cool looking bottle but the stuff inside just doesn't deliver much.

2.56/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Stubby bottle. Poured a dark reddish black colour with a tan head that dissappeared quickly. Smelled of caramel, and not much else.

After seeing this dark colour, I expected quite a bold, rich taste...

Was I ever wrong. I cannot understand how a beer of this colour could have even less taste than some of the macro lagers out there. After a little initial bitterness, there wasn't much else. A little maltiness on the palate

Save for a nice looking pour, there isn't much else to say about this beer.

3.29/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

A: A: Dark brown with a ruby tinge, little carbonation, clear filtered, 2 fingers of slightly tan head

S: Skunk, sourdough, offal, cheesy.

T: Bready, then a slightly clean linen but one that’s slightly cheesy, a yeasty clean slightly dough finish. Much cleaner than the scent.

M: Medium body, medium low fine bubbled almost foamy carbonation.

O: A little cheesy on the nose, flavor is not too bad and mouth feel is fine. Not too bad overall.

3.69/5  rDev +21%

Some rough calculations indicate that, in the past three years, I've drank approximately a metric ass-ton of Waterloo Dark. It's our standard keg-beer (necessitated in part by our close proximity to Brick), and I often find myself drinking it in pubs, and even picking up the occasional case. I can't explain this behaviour for the life of me because there are so many better beers readily available in this area. But there's something comforting and familiar about it.

Nevertheless, along with a recent rebranding - they gussied up the labels, cases and caps - fellow BA pootz mentioned a tweak of the recipe late last year. So I thought that I'd take a second look.

Waterloo Dark pours a nice cola brown, perhaps a bit more reddish than I recall, with a nice two fingers of off-white cap that has just a bit more staying power than it used to; the head does die down relatively quickly, to about a half-finger, but it stays pretty well constant at that level for the rest of the drink. Moderate lacing, but nothing to write home about.

The smell is interesting, but time has dulled my impressions, and I can't tell if I'm smelling the same thing as I did before. An interesting combination of lager-y cereal grain and darker, roasted malts. Just a hint of coffee, nuts, and chocolate, though in sparse supply. An interesting, almost berry-like scent that I've never detected before - tangy - I think they may have notched up the hopping in this brew a bit. All in all, similar, but perhaps slightly improved; you don't have to strain so hard for those sweet malty notes.

The taste remains relatively constant; you can certainly notice the added hops, but the malt dominates here. However, it seems like the quality of the malt has improved a bit - cocoa, coffee, and nuts abound (insofar as any flavour note 'abounds' in such a straightforward beer). Some lighter malt sits under the surface, giving it enough lager-y character to earn the style distinction. A bit bitter at first, it mellows and sweetens, though it ultimately finishes just a bit dry. Quite nice, and pretty tasty for such a simple, straightforward brew.

Mouthfeel is still average - I don't think Brick has ever been able to get their carbonation levels perfect, but I can't complain, as this isn't quite as bad as others for that. It certainly lacks the ultra-effervescent of macro beers. Drinkability, however, also remains high. The light-ish body make this a beer that's virtually designed for mass consumption. And yet it's just barely erudite enough to be appreciated by a beer nerd. It may just be nostalgia, but Waterloo Dark will probably always get my recommendation.

2.95/5  rDev -3.3%

473ml Can

Appearance – Reddish brown colour with an average size frothy and fizzy beige coloured head. There is a low amount of carbonation and there is some fairly good lacing. The head lasted for 3 minutes before it was gone.

Smell – Malts, dark fruits, grains

Taste & Mouth - There is an average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts, chocolate and some dark fruits. The beer comes across as feeling a little bit thin and watery. It finishes with slightly sweet malty aftertaste.

Overall – The beer was quite drinkable, but also not very exciting. There is nothing about it that would want to make me purchase it again.

2.89/5  rDev -5.2%

Can from the Beer Store, 473ml into a pint glass. Canned March 7, 2011.

Pours a dark brown, with some mahogany highlights. Creamy beige head that's fairly persistent. Leaves no lacing. Nose has some grain, very generic lager notes if that means anything. Extremely mild chocolate and some faint grassiness. Taste is some mild chocolate, metallic, some general creaminess (in the mouthfeel too) and a bit of caramel. Highly carbonated but too watery in the mouthfeel to leave any impression. Metallic in the finish again, and not a really pleasant drink to be had overall. A couple of redeeming qualities however.

2.53/5  rDev -17%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Here goes #300 time flies when you're having fun. Another tallboy from the Canadian tour, the can thanks me for supporting a craft brewery, cheers. Popping the top and pouring the brew into a glass yields a dark brown barely translucent color with a tan head that foams then recedes. The smell albeit weak is of some caramel malts and red licorice. Taste of this brew is not too impressive. The taste is a very mild roasted malt flavor with some sweetness and no real hopping stands out. For the style I was expecting some body and backbone but this brew has neither. Mouthfeel though it is well carbonated is rather watery and bland. The best thing this brew has going for it is the art on the can. As for the brew inside the can, nothing stands out.

4.36/5  rDev +43%

Serving Type: A 341 mL bottle poured into a glass.

A: Dark dark dark dark, with a red tint if held to the light. Nice.

S: Hints of malts, chocolate, sweet, dark fruits.

T: Very smooth, chocolates, coffee, goes down smooth without an aftertaste.

M: Stings the tounge a bit, but goes down very nice with a nice aftertaste.

D: This is by far my favorite from Brick. This will allow the non dark beer drinkers to sample a dark beer, but still please the dark beer lovers alike.

2.11/5  rDev -30.8%

This beer is not very good at all, the appearance is the high point at average, and the sample goes down from there.
The aroma is lacking character, maybe a thin element of nuttiness but little else.
The taste again is very thin and that is mostly cardboard.
The colour is dark brown, almost black with medium carbonation and thin crown leading to a pleasent glass ring and thin island lace.
The taste also leaves you dry and lacking, lacking for something else.

2.54/5  rDev -16.7%

Pours a deep chestnut brown with ruby red highlights and a one and a half finger cream coloured head. Okay retention and minimal lace.

The nose is quite muted with hints of sweet dark fruit, nuts, biscuit, and grassy hops barely make their way to the surface.

The taste seems almost as muted as the smell with quick doses of dark fruit, bready malts, a funky chemical like aftertaste, and a bit of biscuit and hazelnut in the end.

Mouthfeel is light and watery. I think the only thing this is made for is to be a dark, quaffable lager, and even that it fails to succeed at.

The only good thing that seemed to come out of this beer was its muted quality, solely for dumbing down the strange chemical aftertaste. Not recommended. If you're buying local, get something else a shot.

Brick Waterloo Dark Lager from Brick Brewing Co.