Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Brick Waterloo Dark Lager - Brick Brewing Co.

Brick Waterloo Dark LagerBrick Waterloo Dark Lager

Brick Brewing Co. visit their website
Ontario, Canada

Euro Dark Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-02-2002

Looks dark, tastes light. It's Ontario's favourite dark lager. A dark beer that is slowly brewed with Canadian grown malted barley, specialty coloured malts, imported hops and pure cultured brewers yeast.

Dark lagers are enjoyed all year long, and they're not as filling as ales. Waterloo Dark will cut some of the heaviness in sauce-based meat dishes. Waterloo Dark is an equally perfect beer to go with appetizers suitable for watching sports games, or used as an actual ingredient when preparing a meal.

Experience what this great dark "light tasting" lager has to offer and why it has won multiple awards at the World Cup of Beer, Canadian Brewing Awards, Ontario Brewing Awards and the Monde Selection International Institute For Quality Selections.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brick Waterloo Dark Lager Alström Bros
4.36/5  rDev +47.3%

Serving Type: A 341 mL bottle poured into a glass.

A: Dark dark dark dark, with a red tint if held to the light. Nice.

S: Hints of malts, chocolate, sweet, dark fruits.

T: Very smooth, chocolates, coffee, goes down smooth without an aftertaste.

M: Stings the tounge a bit, but goes down very nice with a nice aftertaste.

D: This is by far my favorite from Brick. This will allow the non dark beer drinkers to sample a dark beer, but still please the dark beer lovers alike.

4.3/5  rDev +45.3%

This is a delicious example of an accessible dark beer for the average palate. While it will not be a favourite of the most hard-core fans of dark lagers, it is of admirable quality! Much more interesting than the average Brick beer. The rich brown colour and creamy head is appealing, its smell nutty (though not overpowering), and its taste leaves little to be desired. Feels a little thin in your mouth, but goes down like a dream come true!

3.9/5  rDev +31.8%

Overall an average beer. It is extremely carbonated, has a slight hint of liquorice in the taste while leaving a pleasant aftertaste. The smell is neutral and ultimately tastes relatively smooth going down. Compared to the other beers brewed by Brick brewery, this beer is at the top of their range.

Served in pint glass

3.73/5  rDev +26%

inky brown with dissipating head, although it could be the rinse/chill all glasses get at this particular bar.

smell is almost nonexistant; with close concentration I could make out some dark malt (chocolate) scents, but nothing else. no hops, to be sure.

taste is very smooth; very well-integrated. it's familiar to me in some way, and I can't help but wonder if they're using the harrington/klages malt blend which is so prevalent in the pacific northwest. the chocolate character comes out with some sweetness but never gets astringent at all.

mouthfeel is on the thin side, although it is bolstered some by the chocolate malts.

all of this is completely appropriate for a dark eurolager, but it doesn't fit with the munich dunkel style. this is on the path to schwartzbier as far as smoothness and chocolate goes, and if I get a chance to do the brewery tour, I'll certainly mention this.

3.69/5  rDev +24.7%

Some rough calculations indicate that, in the past three years, I've drank approximately a metric ass-ton of Waterloo Dark. It's our standard keg-beer (necessitated in part by our close proximity to Brick), and I often find myself drinking it in pubs, and even picking up the occasional case. I can't explain this behaviour for the life of me because there are so many better beers readily available in this area. But there's something comforting and familiar about it.

Nevertheless, along with a recent rebranding - they gussied up the labels, cases and caps - fellow BA pootz mentioned a tweak of the recipe late last year. So I thought that I'd take a second look.

Waterloo Dark pours a nice cola brown, perhaps a bit more reddish than I recall, with a nice two fingers of off-white cap that has just a bit more staying power than it used to; the head does die down relatively quickly, to about a half-finger, but it stays pretty well constant at that level for the rest of the drink. Moderate lacing, but nothing to write home about.

The smell is interesting, but time has dulled my impressions, and I can't tell if I'm smelling the same thing as I did before. An interesting combination of lager-y cereal grain and darker, roasted malts. Just a hint of coffee, nuts, and chocolate, though in sparse supply. An interesting, almost berry-like scent that I've never detected before - tangy - I think they may have notched up the hopping in this brew a bit. All in all, similar, but perhaps slightly improved; you don't have to strain so hard for those sweet malty notes.

The taste remains relatively constant; you can certainly notice the added hops, but the malt dominates here. However, it seems like the quality of the malt has improved a bit - cocoa, coffee, and nuts abound (insofar as any flavour note 'abounds' in such a straightforward beer). Some lighter malt sits under the surface, giving it enough lager-y character to earn the style distinction. A bit bitter at first, it mellows and sweetens, though it ultimately finishes just a bit dry. Quite nice, and pretty tasty for such a simple, straightforward brew.

Mouthfeel is still average - I don't think Brick has ever been able to get their carbonation levels perfect, but I can't complain, as this isn't quite as bad as others for that. It certainly lacks the ultra-effervescent of macro beers. Drinkability, however, also remains high. The light-ish body make this a beer that's virtually designed for mass consumption. And yet it's just barely erudite enough to be appreciated by a beer nerd. It may just be nostalgia, but Waterloo Dark will probably always get my recommendation.

3.68/5  rDev +24.3%

Served on-tap in Kitchener, Ontario in a nice 20-ounce Waterloo Dark pint-style glass with the boar head logo and "Pour The Boar" lettered on the rear.

A= dark chestnut, modest head with nice lacing & pooling.

S= light smoke, some soured-apple.

T= very nice, then a bit watery, then some dark and maybe also light malts, some caramelization. Modest on the hops and bitters, but has an interesting tartness.

M= some toasted caramelized malts, light bitters, some tartness, interesting.

D= oddly, did well before and also with seafood pasta. I'd drink it again.

3.68/5  rDev +24.3%

To start, I must say that I didn't have much hope for this tasting, since I don't find the bottled version to be all that appealing. So here it goes...

Appearance: Very clear light brown colour with red highlights. It had a dense tan head composed of small bubbles and showed good retention and excellent stickage. So far so good.

Smell: Malty aroma with a bit of roasted chocolate and a light hop spiciness.

Taste: Malty and sweet with some nuttiness and chocolate. Light bitterness gave it a bit of balance, especially towards the end. The finish was of medium length and had some sharpness due to carbonation.

Mouthfeel: Medium/light body and a fairly smooth texture. Not bad.

Drinkability: Surprisingly good. Overall, there's nothing outstanding about this brew, but having it on-tap is much more pleasant than my experience with the bottled version. I'm glad that a friend basically bullied me into trying it again.

3.65/5  rDev +23.3%

This was much nicer than I was expecting. People seem like they may have a prejudice against this beer— that, or I guess my taste preference might just be more unique/broad.

For what it is (which I'll get to), it's very good in my opinion, although obviously not everyone likes what it is.
This is a sweet tasting (not necessarily added sugar or anything, but a sweet vibe), malty beer, with a bit of roasted flavor as well. The hops are very minor in this beer. Not particularly noticeable neither at the start nor lingering afterwards. Some people may not like that, but I certainly like it.

The carbonation consistency is average, and carbonation level is medium high in my opinion. It looks similar to many stouts that aren't using nitro; very dark with average beige head.

Highly recommended to anyone that likes very malty beers and/or sweet-FLAVOR beers and who don't like much hops in their beer. If you like lots of hops and/or don't like lots of malt, stay far away from this. I bought some of these on clearance for just under 2$ per 473 can, and will buy more if I can get them cheap. Great value for Canadians (best I've had for under 50¢/100ml)

3.63/5  rDev +22.6%

I remembered enjoying this beer while in school years ago and wondered if I still would after starting this journey along the path to premium craft beer enlightenment. I'm glad to say that I still like Waterloo Dark and think it makes for a good session or lawn mowing beer. This is another beer that I would choose over a macro beer at a bar any day.

A good looking dark beer with a red hue when held against the light. It has a nice head to start that recedes to a thin layer with some lacing. The aroma is very clean like a good lager but has no distinctive notes. Some mild chocolate and nutty notes in the glass as the glass empties later.

The taste is smooth and lightly nutty with balance between the sweet malt and hops. Some faint sourness and low bitterness. Nothing outstanding but certainly not offensive. Definitely not complex for the style (if Munich Dunkel Lager is correct). It's somewhat refreshing for a dark lager and I could drink this beer all night on any session occassion.

3.55/5  rDev +19.9%

Pours out cola brown, and started with a nice large tan head. However, by the time I had taken a few smells of the beer, the head was gone.

Smells like root beer. Maybe just a hint of coffee and nuts in there.

Flavours are fairly light. Bit of that nuttiness and coffee, but neither is powerful. A little bit sweet. Inoffensive all the way through.

Mouthfeel is thin, but not too thin, with a mild carbonation. Comfortable. The beer goes down easy due its light flavour, body and carbonation.

I was expecting to be very disappointed by this beer, as it was given to me by a friend who really didn't like it. After trying it though, I wouldn't mind having it again.

3.51/5  rDev +18.6%

Noticeable Pours a nice dark brown with ruby notes when held up to the light. The light brown head lasted a few minutes and there was a little bit of lace on the glass.
Noticeable lager smell. Some faint roasted malts. Slightest hint of sour fruitiness and some hops to go with it. Overall a very mild smell.
Again, very mild tasting. Not at all what one might expect from the colour, but then again, it’s a lager, not an ale. Somewhat sweet but not overly. Some mild roasted malts flavours. A little bit vinous if you look for it. You have to search for the hops too.
Light to medium body with moderate carbonation.
Overall this beer is quite mild and easy to drink. Looking at it I’d expect more punch from it. Easy beer to introduce macrobrew drinker to.

3.5/5  rDev +18.2%

Pours a dark brown colour with thick tan head that dissipates to leave a nice ring. Some rings of lacing. Smells quite nutty, with typical macro lager smell. Flavour is much nicer than a typical lager, but still pretty muted. Smooth mouthfeel. I used to drink this a lot when I went to university in Waterloo, I seem to remember it being better then, but I also hadn't tried too many beers at the time.

3.5/5  rDev +18.2%

A - Pours with two fingers of light brown foam on top of a dark brown body with clear, amber highlights. The head settles fairly quickly and leaves moderate lace.

S - Light, malty notes on the aroma with some caramel malt and a bit of molasses.

T - Sweet, dark bread up front with some toasted malt notes. Carmel and light molasses in the middle as the beer transitions to a malty finish with notes of cola, brown sugar, and light hop flavor.

M - Medium body, moderately high carbonation, and a lightly sweet finish.

D - Not bad, reasonably pleasant and quite drinkable. There is plenty of malt character and while it is certainly nothing I would trade for or go out of my way to find, there is nothing off putting about it. It is, if nothing else, quite a bit better than the one other beer from this brewery that I had a chance to try.

3.49/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: pours a dark amber (think yuengling black and tan) with a 3 finger head that slowly settles to about a finger and a half
Smell: Malt forward, grain, roasted chocolate
Taste: Surprisingly light, malty, roasty, grassy finish
Mouthfeel: Thin
Overall: Interesting, but not exceptional

3.45/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Re evaluating this beer after hearing it was recently reformulated.

The pour produced a decent dark cola colored lager with a rocky-sticky 2 finger cap that lasts well and laces the glass.

Aromas are subtle: some cocoa and sweet bready tones light musty earthy yones.

Medium bodied, fair malt spine, silken mouthfeel, and a more rounded toasy malt character than before.

Up front the toasted dark Munich malts depart some cocoa sweetness that is quickly balanced by light pearl hop presence..mid palate there is more substance in the body with some dried fruit and nut notes and some light souring ...finish is clean and lightly drying with lingering bready aftertastes.

This transition seems to have given Waterloo dark some dunkel characteristics as the hops have been slightly attenuated and the malts beefed up...a pleasant change.

3.42/5  rDev +15.5%

Now, I go to school in Waterloo, so I've drank gallons of this stuff. I can't explain it, since it's not exactly phenomenal, but somehow it just reminds me of the city, and I have a feeling that I'll always have that nostalgic connection to this beer. Anyways, the beer. It's definitely better on tap (creamier, deeper taste) but I've got a bottle in front of me, so that's what I'll be reviewing.

Dark, chestnut-brown colour, very deceptive once you've tasted it. (The beer advertises with a "don't be afraid of the dark" gimmick.) Thin, off-white head subsides quickly. Smells sweet, with some fruitiness as well as some burnt, chocolatey malty goodness, but not overwhelming.

Chocolatey sweetness to the taste, a tiny bit cloying, limited bitterness or hoppiness. A bit unbalanced, it needs a bit of hoppiness to grip it all together. Still, I enjoy the offbeat, sweet aftertaste. Definitely not what you'd expect from the dark colour. Thin, almost watery taste, but I don't necessarily think of it as a bad thing. It's an enjoyable, quaffable brew in my books, but maybe it's just that I've developed a soft spot for it. Try to get it on tap, it's worse in bottles and the worst out of cans.

3.38/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 473 mL can into a conical pint glass.

3-finger head (in this narrower glass) shows significant carbonation in this beer.
Very dark red-brown appearance, as the name tells. Head settled to half a finger
in about a minute or two.

Nice smell. Some breadiness, some bitter sweetness. Hints of some other fresh
scent that I can't quite name.

First sip has a nice taste, though with a slightly metallic finish. This blood-like
taste went away after a few more sips. Taste is a little roasty, turning into bitter
fruitiness. Almost coffee-like notes in the finish.

As hinted by the tall head, the mouth can feel a fair amount of carbonation.

Overall, a nice beer. As far as dark goes, I prefer porters, but this is very
acceptable. I'd order it if I went to a bar or restaurant that had it.

3.38/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle. Julian date on neck. The fact that this is imported by Esber, out of Canton, OH (printed right on the label) has me intrigued..

Pours a translucent, dark-brown ruby-red. A small tannish ring happens. The smell is different - peaty, almost woody and dirty. Taste = lots of mineral. Sweet sugars and slightly smoked malts. Carbonated well, lively. A "backwoods" kinda beer, not the best thing in the world, but decent imo.

3.37/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 473mL can into a pint glass. Held to the light, this looks pretty much exactly like Coke, with a slightly foamy lace of head instead of bubbles. It's appealing looking, actually -- pretty much exactly what a dunkel should look like. (I'd classify this as a dunkel rather than the "Euro Dark Lager" it's labelled as, because I'm pretty sure that's what they're attempting.) The smell isn't particularly impressive -- wet malts and brown sugar -- and these flavours continue in the taste, with the occasional odd sour note, which I think must be a yeast thing. Despite being pretty nondescript taste-wise, this does improve in the creamy mouthfeel, light chocolate with the slightest linger of herbal hops. (But there's that odd sour note again, too...).

I buy a can of this once every couple months because I like dunkels and it's one of the two widely available in Ontario (the other being the markedly superior King Dark Lager). So the fact that I'm even drinking this stuff is more a testament to the neglect of this underrated style than evidence of any real fondness for it. Still, until I can get the King more readily, or until another local craft brewery starts making a dunkel, I'll keep drinking this once in a while.

3.35/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a 6 pack of this with a pig's head bottle opener. Hadn't had this one in a while so I decided to give it another shot.

This poured nicely into my pint glass with a head that lasted only a short while. Smell is of slightly roasted barley malt. The barley malt aroma makes the flavor of this brew with a slight nuttyness. Not too bad, Unfortunately however the beer was a little flat and could use a bit (more like a lot) of carbonation.

Even with the lack of carbonation, it still was not an unpleasant experience, this beer isn't that bad.

3.31/5  rDev +11.8%

12 oz bottle.
Nice smooth feel, judge right amount of soft carbonation, and good looking, with a large pillowy head.
The aroma is only acceptable but the flavor is fine.
Good dark lager.

3.31/5  rDev +11.8%

Pours a dark reddish-brown with a thick off white head, some decent lacing.

Not much of an interesting smell, grainy, malty.

Tastes like a lager with a bit more malt, not bad, but nothing to write home about. Some subtle nuances of caramel and chocolate but the lagerish taste dominates the palate.

Decent, carbonated mouthfeel, pretty drinkable. Not something I would ever buy.

3.3/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

My store had a sale on the Waterloo Brewing Sample Pack, which offers two cans each of this, IPA and Amber. It was a great deal, and I've never had anything from this brewery, so I decided to give it a go.

It pours, as expected, very dark brown to the point of being black. I'm picking up some faint red wine aromas fro m the beer, although the smell itself is very mild for such a dark beer.

The taste was not what I was expecting from a can that said DARK on it; it tastes like a well made lager with some more heavy malty flavours, and a very clean finish. The body was quite light, it felt as if I was drinking a can of Canadian or something - it's just light and very bubbly without much flavour to it. Is it better than Canadian/Kokanee and the like? Yes. However, the flavour doesn't quite match the colour that the beer has.

These beers are tricky to find in Alberta, so I'm likely not going to search out this particular one out. Overall, it's okay; it is very drinkable, has no harsh aftertaste, and the nice dark colour can make it seem like you're drinking fancy beer if your friends are having Canadian. Still, i wouldn't have minded a little more caramel or vanilla flavour, and a heavier body.

3.29/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

A: A: Dark brown with a ruby tinge, little carbonation, clear filtered, 2 fingers of slightly tan head

S: Skunk, sourdough, offal, cheesy.

T: Bready, then a slightly clean linen but one that’s slightly cheesy, a yeasty clean slightly dough finish. Much cleaner than the scent.

M: Medium body, medium low fine bubbled almost foamy carbonation.

O: A little cheesy on the nose, flavor is not too bad and mouth feel is fine. Not too bad overall.

3.27/5  rDev +10.5%

Dark brown apperance with litte head that disappears quickly leaving little lacing. Smell is sweet with a hint of caramel and malt, fairly light.

Taste is sweet with a hint of bread, roasted caramel and some nuts. Taste is fairly light overall. Creamy and light bodied with low carbonation. Aftertaste is dry with a lingering toffee taste.

Not a bad dark lager, very light tasting with no strong features, but it is refreshing and creamy. Good summer beer.

Brick Waterloo Dark Lager from Brick Brewing Co.