Brick Waterloo Dark Lager - Brick Brewing Co.

Brick Waterloo Dark LagerBrick Waterloo Dark Lager

poor

Brick Brewing Co. visit their website
Ontario, Canada

Euro Dark Lager |  5.00% ABV

Looks dark, tastes light. It's Ontario's favourite dark lager. A dark beer that is slowly brewed with Canadian grown malted barley, specialty coloured malts, imported hops and pure cultured brewers yeast.

Dark lagers are enjoyed all year long, and they're not as filling as ales. Waterloo Dark will cut some of the heaviness in sauce-based meat dishes. Waterloo Dark is an equally perfect beer to go with appetizers suitable for watching sports games, or used as an actual ingredient when preparing a meal.

Experience what this great dark "light tasting" lager has to offer and why it has won multiple awards at the World Cup of Beer, Canadian Brewing Awards, Ontario Brewing Awards and the Monde Selection International Institute For Quality Selections.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-02-2002)
View: Beers (34) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brick Waterloo Dark Lager Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next › last »
tfinn

Oregon

3.75/5  rDev +23.8%

inky brown with dissipating head, although it could be the rinse/chill all glasses get at this particular bar.

smell is almost nonexistant; with close concentration I could make out some dark malt (chocolate) scents, but nothing else. no hops, to be sure.

taste is very smooth; very well-integrated. it's familiar to me in some way, and I can't help but wonder if they're using the harrington/klages malt blend which is so prevalent in the pacific northwest. the chocolate character comes out with some sweetness but never gets astringent at all.

mouthfeel is on the thin side, although it is bolstered some by the chocolate malts.

all of this is completely appropriate for a dark eurolager, but it doesn't fit with the munich dunkel style. this is on the path to schwartzbier as far as smoothness and chocolate goes, and if I get a chance to do the brewery tour, I'll certainly mention this.

05-15-2006 03:56:27 | More by tfinn
Shiloh

2.1/5  rDev -30.7%

This beer is not very good at all, the appearance is the high point at average, and the sample goes down from there.
The aroma is lacking character, maybe a thin element of nuttiness but little else.
The taste again is very thin and that is mostly cardboard.
The colour is dark brown, almost black with medium carbonation and thin crown leading to a pleasent glass ring and thin island lace.
The taste also leaves you dry and lacking, lacking for something else.

01-28-2006 18:53:53 | More by Shiloh
Derek

British Columbia (Canada)

2.88/5  rDev -5%

A: Ruby-black, initially with some head. Unfortunately there's no head retention or lacing.

S: Very little smell, slightly malty.

T: Very little flavour, definitely not rich or complex. Faint hints of caramel, roasted nuts & bread from the malt. I wonder if most of the colour comes from Black Patent malt?

M: Light-to-moderate body, moderate carbonation.

D: Taste is quite bland and unoffensive, so it's easy to drink. Perhaps it'll win a few customers from the macro's?

10-10-2005 18:58:20 | More by Derek
Viggo

2.78/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a rich dark brown/red, big off white head and some lace. Smell is sweet malt, some roastiness and faint hops. The taste is not very present, a little malt and roast but pretty bland. The mouthfeel is pretty smooth, medium carbonation and an easy drinker.

06-25-2005 17:29:58 | More by Viggo
BigBry

3.13/5  rDev +3.3%

Another brand that Brick has put in stubbies. The beer pours a a dark brown / mahogony color with a short tan colored head. Too bad the foam is gone in less than a minute. A little bit of sweet malt smell, but not much else. I was expecting a full flavored, full bodied brew, but wasn't there. There is some malt flavor, and I found it quite sweet. Overall it is quite thin and watery, yet still very smooth. That fact does make it easy to drink, especially is people are a bit tentative because of the dark color. Still a bit pricey for a slightly above average lager beer.

06-11-2005 13:36:51 | More by BigBry
DrJay

3.68/5  rDev +21.5%

To start, I must say that I didn't have much hope for this tasting, since I don't find the bottled version to be all that appealing. So here it goes...

Appearance: Very clear light brown colour with red highlights. It had a dense tan head composed of small bubbles and showed good retention and excellent stickage. So far so good.

Smell: Malty aroma with a bit of roasted chocolate and a light hop spiciness.

Taste: Malty and sweet with some nuttiness and chocolate. Light bitterness gave it a bit of balance, especially towards the end. The finish was of medium length and had some sharpness due to carbonation.

Mouthfeel: Medium/light body and a fairly smooth texture. Not bad.

Drinkability: Surprisingly good. Overall, there's nothing outstanding about this brew, but having it on-tap is much more pleasant than my experience with the bottled version. I'm glad that a friend basically bullied me into trying it again.

01-30-2005 18:31:21 | More by DrJay
elricorico

3.58/5  rDev +18.2%

Pours out cola brown, and started with a nice large tan head. However, by the time I had taken a few smells of the beer, the head was gone.

Smells like root beer. Maybe just a hint of coffee and nuts in there.

Flavours are fairly light. Bit of that nuttiness and coffee, but neither is powerful. A little bit sweet. Inoffensive all the way through.

Mouthfeel is thin, but not too thin, with a mild carbonation. Comfortable. The beer goes down easy due its light flavour, body and carbonation.

I was expecting to be very disappointed by this beer, as it was given to me by a friend who really didn't like it. After trying it though, I wouldn't mind having it again.

12-01-2004 09:05:55 | More by elricorico
ramrod666

1.73/5  rDev -42.9%

tried this dark lager on a return trip to jack's in niagra falls. the first time i was there it was kicked so, i waltzed across the street from my motel on the next day to see if the had aquired another. they had. i was exited to try this dark lager that iwas told to be good. it pours a nice opaque black with a mohogany head that looked delicious. that was the last good thing i have to say. this was one foul swill. it had to be a bad keg or dirty lines. it totally ruined this brew. the smell was a rancid vinigar. the taste was dominated by a strong vinigar, creamy grossness although i couls talse some decent malts in the very far back. mouthfeel was almost impossible to register due to the overwhelming vinigar flavor. i choked down 3/4 of this pint and told the bar maid it was bad. she had almost no reaction. probobly because she was really busy. so i left.

08-27-2004 00:29:01 | More by ramrod666
beals

2.75/5  rDev -9.2%

I picked up a case of these (stubby bottles) on the way back over the border from Toronto. Unfortunately, I was expecting more out of the beer than I received. While definitely a drinkable beer, it lacks subtle tastes and flavors often found in dark lagers - I was left wanting more. Almost no head to speak of, thin flavor, could not detect any hoppiness.

This beer needs some added 'kick'.

08-02-2004 04:09:20 | More by beals
baiser

2.53/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Stubby bottle. Poured a dark reddish black colour with a tan head that dissappeared quickly. Smelled of caramel, and not much else.

After seeing this dark colour, I expected quite a bold, rich taste...

Was I ever wrong. I cannot understand how a beer of this colour could have even less taste than some of the macro lagers out there. After a little initial bitterness, there wasn't much else. A little maltiness on the palate

Save for a nice looking pour, there isn't much else to say about this beer.

07-15-2004 17:07:42 | More by baiser
IronDjinn

2.05/5  rDev -32.3%

Hmmmm, this would be the 3rd sample from Brick that I've tried (first review though), and I've come to the conclusion that from my experience their beers seem to be very lacking in flavour and body. I do however love the stubbies though.

This dark lager poured out of its stubbie a clear mahogany colour, reddish highlights when held up to the light. No real head to speak of. Aroma is practically non-existant, I'm picking up nothing on the radar. There, I went and blew my nose. Now I get the faintest of sweet malt on the first whiff, but the longer I smell I lose the scent after that first whiff. Looks like I've spent my whiff now, all the aroma is gone. I've seemingly smelled all of the aroma right out of the beer. But what I did catch was sweet toasted malt.

The flavour at first sip is nearly cloyingly sweet, but then gets up on two wheels, spins out and heads in the opposite direction with a more husky grain finish. Right there in the middle, that's when it happens, you can see the blue smoke and the skid marks even. Still, flavour is lacking. I'd like to say the mouthfeel is watery, but it does possess a bit of body to it. However the flavour is quite watery, and that's what throws me off.

I can't say I could recommend this to anyone else at all, not in good conscience at least, it is very mediocre and not worth your hard earned money (especially what I paid for it here in Alberta). I do like the stubbie bottles though.

06-11-2004 22:39:19 | More by IronDjinn
TerryW

2.08/5  rDev -31.4%

Short, short head that, within muntes, leaves behind only a partial ring. Couple of spots, but no meaningful lace. Dark cola coloured beer.

Slight alcohol smell, weak malt. Watery, weak barley flavour. Marginally beer-like.

Quite undistinguished I'm afraid.

03-07-2004 21:24:07 | More by TerryW
JustinBathurst

2.35/5  rDev -22.4%

I spent a week in Kitchener-Waterloo and as a result got a crash-course in local brews. This one was usually available. I tried it first on tap, then in a bottle. On tap was better for sure, as the bottled dark tasted like sap.

Dark appearance, still somewhat watery on tap, faintly sweet, but with absolutely no life to recommend it after one glass. If I was offered it, I think I'd pass.

11-29-2003 04:52:44 | More by JustinBathurst
Brent

Kentucky

3.13/5  rDev +3.3%

As the last reviewer noted, I'm not sure this is a dark ale - seemed much more like a dark lager. I checked the brewery's website, and they did not identify which branch of the beer family tree this is from. A pleasant dark beer, whatever it is. Mild roasted malt with a touch of grainy sweetness. Firm bittering at the finish. Quite mild, overall.

01-01-2003 15:33:40 | More by Brent
John

1.55/5  rDev -48.8%

Amazing beer. I find it quite fascinating that someone has managed to brew a beer as dark as this with zero flavor. The appearance of this beer is indeed a little suspicious. Wait, I think I tasted something...a twinge of some kind of bitterness, burnt toast maybe. Strange brew...kill what's inside of you...

08-06-2002 09:55:40 | More by John
« first ‹ prev | 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next › last »
Brick Waterloo Dark Lager from Brick Brewing Co.