Brick Red Cap Ale - Brick Brewing Co.

Brick Red Cap AleBrick Red Cap Ale

Brick Brewing Co. visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Blonde Ale |  5.00% ABV

Red Cap is a multi-award winning North American Style Golden Ale. It was Canada's most popular beer in the 50s and 60s, owning almost half the market at one point.

Brewed to the original Carling recipe, Red Cap has been honoured with multiple awards from both the Canadian and Ontario Brewing Awards and has also captured an award at the World Beer Cup Competition!

(Beer added by: Shiloh on 10-02-2002)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
4.25/5  rDev +38%

4.5/5  rDev +46.1%

2.25/5  rDev -26.9%

4.08/5  rDev +32.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I used to drink this from the classic brown stubbie bottle when it was released first.

The appearance is a nice golden color with a nice burst of bubbles. The aroma is slightly malty with a light fruity hint from the hops. The taste is of a nice malty balance from the grain bill with levels of bready tones making their way to the fore. Red Cap has a light body but with a good level of carbonation which makes it very drinkable. A very drinkable beer!

3.5/5  rDev +13.6%

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

341 mL bottle from TBS, pulled from a 12 pack. I've had this a few times before (including a Had last summer), and while I already know it's nothing spectacular, I was in need of something affordable to toss back and this stuff happened to be on sale.

Pours a bright golden-blonde hue, topped at first with 1.5 fingers of fizzy, soapy white head that is in a hurry to be somewhere else. Its only remnants are a smooth, soapy film on the surface and a thin collar around the edge. Very little lacing. Pretty lame looking, and the aroma doesn't exactly wow me either - pale grains, honey and corn make up the bulk, with some fruity red apple notes as well. Tolerable at best.

For all the ragging I've done on this beer so far, it doesn't actually taste that bad. The flavour is mostly pale grain malts, with a mixture of fruity apple and vegetal corniness rounding things out. Some weak grassy hop notes manage to dry things up a bit toward the finish, lingering briefly on the palate. Not as clean/bland as most macro-type beers, but there is definitely a lot of overlap in terms of types of flavours, so that may or may not be a good thing depending on the judge (I don't mind it). Light-bodied and watery, with high carbonation that gives it a fizzy, spritzy mouthfeel. Easy to toss back when it's cold.

Final Grade: 3.00, a mediocre C grade. Red Cap Ale isn't an awful beer, but it's not a particularly good one either. If I were in the mood for a sort-of passable blonde ale I'd probably prefer Molson Export before this, but since this stuff is much cheaper, realistically I'd probably just stick with Red Cap. Reminds me of a marginally superior James Ready, and likely to appeal to the same demographic - in addition to fans of the old Carling brand, who are probably the main consumers. Value-brand beer drinkers might as well give this stuff a try to see if it's up their alley, but other than that, I probably wouldn't recommend this.

4.9/5  rDev +59.1%

This Ale is a Golden Ale. I think it is an acquired taste. It is very dry and crisp. It is also old and bitter much like this reviewer.
I was a young man when I first experienced Red Cap Ale, camping in Vermont, and I am happy to learn that is still available. I will be looking forward to buying a six pack soon.

3.25/5  rDev +5.5%

2.5/5  rDev -18.8%

3.25/5  rDev +5.5%

3.2/5  rDev +3.9%

Picked up a 12 pack of bottles directly from the Brick Brewery in Waterloo, Ontario. Came in a normal 12 oz style brown glass bottle, not the shorter vintage style bottle in the photo. First off, this is not a red ale. Seems like some people got that impression from the name. This is a blonde or golden ale. It does have a great golden color. Supposedly it is a recreation of an old Carling recipe that was popular in the 1950s. Texture is slightly sparkling and it drinks very smooth, but pours with almost no head. Like other blondes, it sits a little heavy on the palette. Flavor is subtle and pleasant with a very slight hint of fruitiness. Has a solid, quality taste, but not exactly inspiring. There is a red hunting cap on the label and this would be a great beer for sitting in the woods when it gets a little colder. My grandfather would love this beer. I think that's what they were going for.

2.93/5  rDev -4.9%

Red Cap Ale pours a light yellow with a thin head that fades quickly. The aroma is slightly vegetable like with some faint graininess. The flavor is dry and grainy, with a solid, slightly astringent bitterness. There is some mild fruitiness, and the beer is slightly creamy in the finish. Overall, not a bad budget beer, but not a red ale.

3.95/5  rDev +28.2%

I got a half-case of this for my birthday from a friend, and decided to review it.

Edit: just so you know, this stuff is NOT in stubbies anymore.

The stuff pours a nice golden colour. The head is minimal, and seems to dissipate rather quickly. I kinda like a little bit of head, but colour is nice

Smells grainy, and oddly somewhat fruity - maybe it's the hops.

I must say I absolutely love the taste, it starts out kinda grainy, then moves to some fruitier tones, finishing with some good hoppy bitterness. Throughout there seems to be some flavour, I guess an undertone maybe, that I just can't seem to find an appropriate word for.

Mouthfeel was pretty allright, it was lightly bodied. It also had good carbonation.

I think this stuff is pretty drinkable, The head seemed a little lackluster, but doesn't seem to decrease the experience. I think the taste and smell were great, and if they served it at more local bars I would drink it more often.

2.5/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Stubby Bottle- Pours a sparkling gold body. Head is diminished, white. Aromas consist of some malt, grassyness, and mild hops. taste is mildly bitter, with some faint sweet malty notes. Pretty average, but it is certainly preferable over any of the macros.

3.1/5  rDev +0.6%

Served from a 341ml brown stubbie bottle( clearly a gimmick, but if the beer is ok then awsome, i love gimmicks. Its like a medicine bottle...and beer is my medicine.) My father saw me with one and was like "wow, havent seen one of those for a while" Apparently the term "Red Cap" came from hunters, and this was apparently "the hunters beer" because hunters used to wear red caps.

A- super macro, very fizzy at the start of the pour but really no head-at all. nice golden color. lots of bubbles.

S- grainy. a little malty. slightly fruity hops.

T- nice malt balance, a little bread, bittersweet and fruity. slight earthy background.(doesn't taste like an ale at all really)

M- good. light body with nice carbonation.

D- very drinkable for people looking to sit back and hang out with some friends.

Overall not bad and a cut above your typical macro swill. If offered give it a shot.

2.95/5  rDev -4.2%

This has got to be one of the confounding beers I've reviewed during my relatively short BA membership.

As many have already mentioned, I have no idea why this is classified as an amber. It poured a clear, dark gold into my glass with a foamy one-finger head. The aroma was good: floral hops, biscuity malt, grain husks, and fruity esters. Green apple, I'd say.

The flavour was unlike anything I expected or had before. I would describe it as sweet, but with a hint of tartness — it tasted like white grape juice! The sensation wasn't entirely unpleasant, just strange. Husky malt flavours were there to keep it in balance but I didn't detect much of a hop profile other than a vaguely crisp finish. Low carbonation and thin body didn't leave me wanting more. I bought a six-pack and could only stand one at a time.

Relatively speaking, this beer compares favourably to your standard macro swill, but isn't worth the craft beer pricetag. If I had to choose between this and Molson Export at a bar, I'd order an Ex.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Brick Red Cap Ale from Brick Brewing Co.