Brick Red Cap Ale - Brick Brewing Co.

Brick Red Cap AleBrick Red Cap Ale

Brick Brewing Co. visit their website
Ontario, Canada

American Blonde Ale |  5.00% ABV

Red Cap is a multi-award winning North American Style Golden Ale. It was Canada's most popular beer in the 50s and 60s, owning almost half the market at one point.

Brewed to the original Carling recipe, Red Cap has been honoured with multiple awards from both the Canadian and Ontario Brewing Awards and has also captured an award at the World Beer Cup Competition!

(Beer added by: Shiloh on 10-02-2002)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by ThinkAgain:
2.75/5  rDev -9.8%

ThinkAgain, Mar 17, 2012

Picked this up at the duty free in Niagra Falls thinking this was something a little different,comes in a "stubby" bottle pours a clear yellow with a rather fizzy head this is no red or amber thats for sure.Aroma is of a little toasted grain but there isnt much there to be had,taste also has a light toastiness and a touch of grass but pretty uninspring.A easy drinker but quite a no-brainer, alot better golden ales to be had out there.

oberon, Oct 09, 2004
3.5/5  rDev +14.8%

H8B8, Apr 04, 2013
2.38/5  rDev -22%

A passable macrobrewery's brew. Maltiness works and can get it down. Not too thin. Thanks Pootz for the fresh sample. Taste like these beers used to taste 40 years back, if I have a faint memory of it. Can refresh better than fizzy soda pop or fizzy macros.

Sammy, Apr 03, 2005

traumaqueen, Oct 17, 2012
2.95/5  rDev -3.3%

This has got to be one of the confounding beers I've reviewed during my relatively short BA membership.

As many have already mentioned, I have no idea why this is classified as an amber. It poured a clear, dark gold into my glass with a foamy one-finger head. The aroma was good: floral hops, biscuity malt, grain husks, and fruity esters. Green apple, I'd say.

The flavour was unlike anything I expected or had before. I would describe it as sweet, but with a hint of tartness — it tasted like white grape juice! The sensation wasn't entirely unpleasant, just strange. Husky malt flavours were there to keep it in balance but I didn't detect much of a hop profile other than a vaguely crisp finish. Low carbonation and thin body didn't leave me wanting more. I bought a six-pack and could only stand one at a time.

Relatively speaking, this beer compares favourably to your standard macro swill, but isn't worth the craft beer pricetag. If I had to choose between this and Molson Export at a bar, I'd order an Ex.

vanrassel, Apr 05, 2007
4.08/5  rDev +33.8%

I used to drink this from the classic brown stubbie bottle when it was released first.

The appearance is a nice golden color with a nice burst of bubbles. The aroma is slightly malty with a light fruity hint from the hops. The taste is of a nice malty balance from the grain bill with levels of bready tones making their way to the fore. Red Cap has a light body but with a good level of carbonation which makes it very drinkable. A very drinkable beer!

Mountainmanbrewing, Aug 28, 2013
2.25/5  rDev -26.2%

irishkyle21, Sep 08, 2013
2.15/5  rDev -29.5%

I have a feeling it's the gimmick of the token stubbie bottles that tends to sell it's fair share of beers to the unknowing masses, because from my experience so far I'm not sure what kind of die-hard market these beers would possess outside of the immediate local market.

Pours out of its stubbie a very pale clear straw colour, a small dose of fizzy white head that's there one moment, gone the next. Slight metallic grains on the nose, some corn, and even a bit of sweet esters. I'm not sure if this beer has completely decided what it wishes to be yet. The flavour is akin to a macro adjunct lager, along with the mouthfeel. In fact this would be a passable lager, it's a shame that it's being marketed as an "ale". I'm also having difficulties picking up any discernable "ale" attributes to it in the first place. Disappointing, and a confusing style. Yet the stubbie bottle has lured in another unknowing purchase.

IronDjinn, Apr 24, 2005
3.48/5  rDev +14.1%

Red Cap Ale is certainly a beer that must sell on nostalgia - a beer, as I understand it, quite popular back in the 70's in Ontario that went under, Brick brough the brand and recipe and began producing it again. They've even gone so far as to put it back in those stubby bottles. Unlike many others who have reviewed this brew, I'd like to think that I'm a bit more immune to the nostalgia factor (being freshly 19 and having no knowledge of this 'Red cap' business).

Red Cap pours from the stubby into my pint glass a reasonably clear gold-straw colour (think Molson Export), with only a tiny bit of almost soapy-looking head that dissapated quickly, leaving only a ring and some slight amount of lacing. This looks very much like a macro lager, I must say - not very appealing. Let's move on, though.

Smell is pretty non-distinct. I could swear the adjuncts dominate if I didn't know that Brick Brewery prides itself on not using adjuncts in any of its brews. A trick of the mind, maybe? Beyond that, all I can really detect is a simple, grassy hop aroma, slight graininess, with a faint buttery-ness. Once again, I'm thinking along the lines of Molson Export, though less 'spritzy' and 'adjunct-y.'

The taste, however, is surprisingly pleasant, I must admit. The buttery-ness plays through a bit on the taste, but what I notice most is how pleasant the hop taste is. I can't pick out much in the way of malts, but there's a real fruity, almost candy-ness (ever so faintly bubblegum-like) to the hops. Very well-balanced, I think. Initially a little sweet, but balances out on the finish with a very smooth, easy-drinking taste that's miles ahead of the macro I was using as a comparison. II'm actually a fan of this brew. It's miles ahead of most macros in the taste department, where it counts most.

Mouthfeel is also good. A tad overcarbonated, though not to the extremes of most macros (I can actually taste the brew, and it has to sit on my tongue for a few seconds before the spritziness of the bubbles really interferes with my taste buds). Body is neither thin nor thick, definitely not watery, but definitely not heavy at all either.

Drinkability is quite good. I could have several of these, I think, with absolutely no problem. Because it doesn't feature that excessive macro carbonation, it sits well in the stomach, and goes down smooth. It's tasty and easy-drinking, something I'd have out in the backyard around a camp fire or after mowing the lawn on a hot day.

I guess the Red Cap army isn't merely a product of nostalgia - there's something here, though it's definitely more of a good-times, relaxing beer than it is a beer advocate-friendly beer. And at $30 for a 24 (an excellent price in Ontario compared to the $33-40 you'll pay for cases of macro or premium micro brands), it's an exceptional quality.

headlessparrot, May 24, 2006

Serving Type: A 341mL stubby bottle.

A: A nice head that quickly falls to a decent layer with good lacing. Golden in color.

S: Tart, grassy, earthy, with faint sweet aromas.

T: A very nice taste. First a slight sweet taste that quickly turns into a earthy tone and finishes with a butteryesque aftertaste.

M: Stings a bit, but smooth going down. Easy to drink.

D: This is another decent beer from Brick. I would stock this in the fridge, if i did not live so damn far away.

ThirdCoast, Oct 19, 2006

Dougwillhike, May 22, 2014
2.53/5  rDev -17%

This particular ale, a remake of an old Canadian standard, currently being brewed under a different brewery, has a lingering after taste and does not posses, in my humble opinion, the same character and rewarding flavour of the original brew. However, it just may be that it is an acquired taste beyond my grasp.

Shiloh, Oct 02, 2002
2.5/5  rDev -18%

Stubby Bottle- Pours a sparkling gold body. Head is diminished, white. Aromas consist of some malt, grassyness, and mild hops. taste is mildly bitter, with some faint sweet malty notes. Pretty average, but it is certainly preferable over any of the macros.

mrmanning, Aug 02, 2009
2.9/5  rDev -4.9%

Canadian Stubby bottle - I don't remember Red Cap, but do remember Molson in stubbies. Cool, retro look drinking dtraight from the botle. Pours clear straw-yellow color, short white head which is gone in a minute. Average macro "beer" smell - slight grain, but not much else. Taste has light toasted grain or grass, on the sweeter side, no hops to balance. Sharp taste with a slightly sour finish. Thin, almost watery which makes it refreshing and easy to drink.
PS. Red refers to the color of the cap, not the beer. Really should not be catagorized as an amber/red ale IMO

BigBry, May 28, 2005

341 mL bottle from TBS, pulled from a 12 pack. I've had this a few times before (including a Had last summer), and while I already know it's nothing spectacular, I was in need of something affordable to toss back and this stuff happened to be on sale.

Pours a bright golden-blonde hue, topped at first with 1.5 fingers of fizzy, soapy white head that is in a hurry to be somewhere else. Its only remnants are a smooth, soapy film on the surface and a thin collar around the edge. Very little lacing. Pretty lame looking, and the aroma doesn't exactly wow me either - pale grains, honey and corn make up the bulk, with some fruity red apple notes as well. Tolerable at best.

For all the ragging I've done on this beer so far, it doesn't actually taste that bad. The flavour is mostly pale grain malts, with a mixture of fruity apple and vegetal corniness rounding things out. Some weak grassy hop notes manage to dry things up a bit toward the finish, lingering briefly on the palate. Not as clean/bland as most macro-type beers, but there is definitely a lot of overlap in terms of types of flavours, so that may or may not be a good thing depending on the judge (I don't mind it). Light-bodied and watery, with high carbonation that gives it a fizzy, spritzy mouthfeel. Easy to toss back when it's cold.

Final Grade: 3.00, a mediocre C grade. Red Cap Ale isn't an awful beer, but it's not a particularly good one either. If I were in the mood for a sort-of passable blonde ale I'd probably prefer Molson Export before this, but since this stuff is much cheaper, realistically I'd probably just stick with Red Cap. Reminds me of a marginally superior James Ready, and likely to appeal to the same demographic - in addition to fans of the old Carling brand, who are probably the main consumers. Value-brand beer drinkers might as well give this stuff a try to see if it's up their alley, but other than that, I probably wouldn't recommend this.

thehyperduck, Jan 29, 2013
3.33/5  rDev +9.2%

Appearance is yellow, nothing to special, your average beer appearance. The aroma is sweet and light.

Taste wise, very smooth and malty. A bit sweet, refreshing. Not as strong as most ales, but kind of good in it's own way. Aftertaste is a bit watery but overall sweet.

In a bar situation, if you have the choice between this and other big name Canadian beers, Red Cap is always a wise choice. Otherwise, for your average Micro Brewery beer, still a good choice.

CrazyMike, Apr 11, 2006
2.33/5  rDev -23.6%

This beer has a promising name, but all else disappoints. A pale yellow color, and thin white head greet you as you pour it into your glass. You have to try hard to detect a faint hops aroma in the air above the beer. The flavor did nothing to assert itself, either. A malty presence, but no hops to balance. A watery mouthfeel is the final nail in the coffin of this beer that never should have made it across the border.

soilguy, Jul 22, 2003
3.23/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured a very light yellow with a finger of white head that didn't stay long at all before becoming a fine lace. Very sub-par to average. Sub-par for its style I'm thinking.

Smells of sweet malt, and floral, or maybe grassy hops. Besides the word "ale" on the bottle. I can't tell the difference between this and a standard macro so far.

Well there's the ale I've been looking for in the taste. Nothing macro about this part. Good blending of malt and hops, as well as a sort of candy taste. I'm thinking red licorice. Haven't experienced something like that before.

Alright mouthfeel, but could use more body and less carbonation in my opinion.

I don't think this should be classified in the style that it's in, because I for one review not only on the beer itself, but on how it matches with others of its sort. Because of this, I'm going to have to have to say that there are MANY greater examples of the style, but reccomend not passing on this if it's offered to you at a social gathing or on sale.

jayc333, Mar 18, 2006
4.9/5  rDev +60.7%

This Ale is a Golden Ale. I think it is an acquired taste. It is very dry and crisp. It is also old and bitter much like this reviewer.
I was a young man when I first experienced Red Cap Ale, camping in Vermont, and I am happy to learn that is still available. I will be looking forward to buying a six pack soon.

Brewster7777, Aug 19, 2012
2.95/5  rDev -3.3%

I had this on-tap at M.E. & Suzie's in Port Stanley, Ontario.

Despite the name, there's no way this is a "Red" Ale... it's not even amber. In terms of macro lagers, the colour might be on the dark end of the scale. But this is an Ale. A Canadian Ale to be precise... and one of the last of its kind!

"Canadian Ales" often used 6-row barley, with less than 15% sugar adjunct... resulting in a slightly heavier, grainier brew (than their American counterpart).

A: Slightly darker than a pilsner; the white head isn't retained for long, but it leaves a little lace.

S: Grainy, sweet, with a touch of catty hops (cluster).

T: Sweet, husky grain, with a modest bitterness in the finish. The hop profile is much more pleasant than most of today's macros. The grainy flavour is certainly a little rustic. Slight hints of fruity esters (in a Molson Export sort of way).

M: Moderate body (a little heavy for its strength); moderate carbonaton.

D: It's a little rough to session.

Derek, Jul 03, 2006
3.13/5  rDev +2.6%

A: This is not an amber / red ale. No way, not by a long shot. Pours out to a clean and clear golden yellow color with a short lived white foam head. Bubbled off in seconds. No lace.

S: Grain. Malts. Some sweet notes of husk and hops. Some musky notes as well.

T: Nice. Real malt and earthy grains with a light vegetal note. Bittering hops toward the finish smooth things out.

M: Some carbonation is noted, along with a heavier (but not dense) mouthfeel.

D: Decent enough. Re-classify the beer and i'll have it as a lager any day.

Notes: Not bad, but not worth breaking your back over to find.

Frozensoul327, Oct 22, 2006
2.13/5  rDev -30.2%

Ah, Red Cap. My youth returns as I taste thy sweet liquor (and yes, I mean liquor in the classical sense: this sure isn't 40% ABV).

Points to Brick for buying the name and bringing back Red Cap. Extra points for the funky, distinctly Canadian stubby bottle.

But anti-points for reminding me just how limited a beer taste the 70s offered. Red Cap is ordinary by today's standards and, I suspect, by yesterday's.

Points for style. Anti-points for ordinariness.

bmacaskill, Apr 11, 2003

DenisKolkin, Jul 12, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -9.8%

oldp0rt, Nov 24, 2011
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Brick Red Cap Ale from Brick Brewing Co.