Grain Belt Premium - August Schell Brewing Company

August Schell Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: TastyTaste on 07-04-2003

Although the Grain Belt Premium recipe has changed hands over the years, one thing has remained the same–its legendary unique taste. And now that Premium is in the capable hands of a brewery with an even longer tradition than Grain Belt–the August Schell Brewery–may you rest assured that the flavor and heritage of Premium will live on forever.
Ratings: 506 | Reviews: 190
2.13/5  rDev -34.9%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Easy drinking light summer beer

3.34/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours straw yellow as seen through the glass. A fizzy white head leaves lacing.

The smell is clean. Smells like a typical adjunct lager - perhaps even a bit cleaner.

The taste is clean overall...there is a hint of blueberry for some reason. Finishes crisp and clean.

An easy-drinking, inexpensive "lawn mower" beer.

I just have to have it

2.88/5  rDev -11.9%

Tastes like a typical adjunct lager.

4.24/5  rDev +29.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

My go to beer when I'm out at the bar, or really anywhere for that matter. This is my answer to a domestic boring American lager. Price point matches your Buds, Coors, & Millers. The taste blows said beers out of the water. This is one of the most drinkable beers I've ever had. I've been drinking GBP for 10 years, and it's my overall favorite beer. It's definitely sessionable, as I know all too well. If you're looking for an affordable beer that isn't too sophisticated yet actually tastes like beer, you've found your match with Grain Belt Premium.

3.7/5  rDev +13.1%

This beer is fantastic on a summer day.

3.91/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

If you open the bottle looking for something mind blowing you'll be disappointed. There's no complexity, just a simple yet unique American adjunct lager. There's always been a strange hint of blueberry as far back as I can remember.

3.5/5  rDev +7%

A: Brilliantly clear straw to yellow, off-white quickly dissipating head leaves some delicate lacing.
S: grainy, no hops, a little apple, some corn sweetness, no appreciable malt aroma.
T: Tastes thin, grainy with corn-grain sweetness, no hops, and slight apple, faintly malty. Low hops make it lean to the malt, a light white bread or white flour tortilla after taste.
F: less highly carbonated than some, no carbonation bight, smooth, a little slickness on the tongue, refreshing and dull.
O: bland, low flavor, lower carbonation makes it less interesting than better standard American lagers.

3.68/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

This is my favorite adjunct lager. It has a very unique taste, and it looks great. Pours a nice, foamy head. Also gets points for being brewed in my home state of MN.

4.32/5  rDev +32.1%

This is a classic beer, with rich flavor, and an unpretentious reputation originating in Northeast Minneapolis. I rate it so highly based on its simplicity, full flavor, and also quite if bit of nostalgia.

2.78/5  rDev -15%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Smells fruity, kinda like bananas.

3.18/5  rDev -2.8%

This is what I drank before before the craft beer explosion. Well, this and Summit Pale Ale. It's got a whole lot more flavor than Bud, which isn't saying much, and I still buy it for making beer brats--then save the leftovers for guests who don't appreciate the "good stuff." Overall? It's okay. But if I want to really enjoy a lager, I'll pick up some Brooklyn.

3.34/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

As a Minnesotan, this is what I "grew up" with, as far as my early beer-drinking days went. It's better than your typical American lager, and is sometimes what I'll buy when I need a break from my beloved stouts and other heavier beers, especially in the summer. Is it a world-class beer? No, but it's a quality, easy-drinking beer that's a good value. It's like a friend you occasionally hook up with, but don't feel awkward or ashamed about afterwards.

4.15/5  rDev +26.9%

This is my fallback when not drinking craft brews. It doesnt taste like water like most macrobrews, easy drinking when you plan on having more than one. I also like that it is brewed in my home state of MN.

This is my go-to, favorite beer. Same for my grandfather and his grandfathers. Goes down smooth and easy, and tastes soo good. Beats Bud Light, Coors light, etc. for me on every level.

2.25/5  rDev -31.2%

watery, very little taste.

True American original

2.99/5  rDev -8.6%

Poured from a 16 oz. can into a stange style glass.
Very pale yellow color, almost a washed out gold. 1 finger fluffy white head, left a decent amount of lacing left in the glass.
Smells of stale wet cardboard, corn and an underlying almost white wine smell.
Taste isn't terrible, it's just not good at all. A step above Coors Light, but a small step at that.
Super thin mouth feel, almost like water: no after taste at all, what is there is unappetizing.
Yeah this is just not good, unless you want to dump a macro-lager down your throat.
Not gonna finish this one, although I did drink more of this than their Nordeast.
Drain pour.

3.5/5  rDev +7%

OK, by rights this is a 3, but I'm giving it another .5 because - hey, Grain Belt.

Crisp, clean - a good summer adjunct lager, but then there's the sweet kick at the finish. The much superior Grain Belt Nordeast has this as well, but Premium's is noticeable and a little surprising if you haven't had one before.

Going by appearances, you're ready for some Blatz, right on - just something to knock the dust down a little while you finish hanging that garage door, but then - there it is. A little bit like the after-taste of Corn Flakes, including the sugar.

That might not be everyone's idea of a good time, but I always have some Grain Belt standing by.

4.5/5  rDev +37.6%

Poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: pours a 2" sudsy white head that slowly falls with plenty of lacing left behind. Color is clear light golden with plenty of streaming carbonation.

Aroma: nice aroma of light barley, a bit of corn, some grassy hops.

Mouthfeel: light and crisp, slightly sticky, with a pleasant and refreshing finish.

Flavor: yeasty white bread, some corn sweetness, a bit of hop bite for balance.

Overall: well balanced and outstanding in the adjunct lager style. Perhaps the best I have had thus far.

2.77/5  rDev -15.3%

Grain Belt... because it's like being smacked in the face by a belt of corn syrup! (Or something to that effect...)

Seriously, man. This is a very sweet beer. Pretty thin, and one note -- corn. It tastes like creamed corn or something and that's about it. I'd liken it to Old Style in a way, but something about it (likely just misconstrued memory or a thing to that effect) makes this almost off-putting. I can see this being popular with people who like adjunct lagers that are on the sweeter side, but it's not for me. On the plus side, it's not skunky or metallic or anything like that, which is always a good thing. It's a better-than-average AAL, but it's still very "meh."

In short: You get what you pay for.

3.83/5  rDev +17.1%

had one of these a few years back and still wish I could find it again. I will admit, I'm a fan of a number of AALs after all, that's what over 90% of beer drinkers probably start on. If they tell you different, they're probably lying. It bothers me, like I said in a forum, that these beer snobs rate all AALs low just because its not some overly
hopped crap. there's a ton of AALs, especially grain belt, that are (in my opinion) better than most craft beers. anyway, overall a great beer and staple of the Midwest.

3.6/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Ah, I love a good Schell beer. Grain Belt is no exception. I haven't had this one for awhile so I'll review it with a fresh mind (and palate).

Appearance - as always, in bottle. I almost never pour. Average rating at 3.0.

Smell - cracking the cap...buttered and very lightly sugared popcorn; deep sweet smelling grain husks, fresh corn, salted and sweet malts. A lot like High Life. Enough smelling, I want to dive in.

Taste - Fantastic. Nice and sweet with a bit of bite that dissolves into a musty grain flavor. Very low bitterness but it's there. A hint of sour chemical at the end that I wish wasn't there so it gets docked half a point. A very easy drinker.

Mouthfeel - Carbonated right from the get go but still smooth.

Overall - This beer is a clear winner. It's got the right flavor in the right areas and keeps it simple. This beer is like High Life but better. Grain Belt is a beer I would recommend to friends for almost any occasion. The friendly beer!

3.67/5  rDev +12.2%

Not going to lie, I'm a homer and this is the home town beer. Well, GBP and EPA are THE home town beers, but this is the original. It's a corny lager, not my favourite, but probably my second favourite. It's sort of sweet, which is my only complaint, but it's a nice sweetness. We like sweet here. Give me a Jucy Lucy and a Premo and some fries and I'm in fucking heaven. GBP is liquid history, a regional brand that somehow didn't get sucked into the multinational brewing conglomeration, a fucking time capsule. Your grandfather drank this beer. And so do his grand kids. I'm grateful for that and I'm proud that Pennsylvania and Minnesota somehow managed to keep the wolves at bay and retain their regional brewers (Schells in Mn's case, who keep the GB torch alight). A far from useful, but from the heart drunken review. You are welcome.

What can I say. This is the greatest beer in the world for the price. Where else can you get a case of tasty suds for so little. I know you beer snobs will turn your noses up at this awesome Midwest treat that's been passed from father to son for over a hundred years. Clean,smooth and sweet. I love it goes great at the ball game,deer camp,or avoiding the wife. Take my recomendation and pick up a six pack of this you won't regret it. All hail to the big friendly!

Grain Belt Premium from August Schell Brewing Company