Grain Belt Premium - August Schell Brewing Company

Grain Belt PremiumGrain Belt Premium

August Schell Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Although the Grain Belt Premium recipe has changed hands over the years, one thing has remained the same–its legendary unique taste. And now that Premium is in the capable hands of a brewery with an even longer tradition than Grain Belt–the August Schell Brewery–may you rest assured that the flavor and heritage of Premium will live on forever.

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 07-04-2003)
Reviews by LightEnthusiast:
LightEnthusiast

South Dakota

3.4/5  rDev +4.3%

I opened up this beer from a sampler 6-pack that I hand chose to see what was good from the store's pick-and-choose case. Immediately I smelled it and it reeked of cat poop - I'm not even kidding... it's like a cat took a crap in the bottle and there's a hint of corn going on there.

I was scared to take a drink but when I did I was pleasantly surprised. Either I am ignorant or this cat crap beer tastes pretty good.

It was refreshing and cool, went down easy - I didn't really take the time to swish it around for a good mouthfeel, I was just thirsty.

If you get a chance to pick this up on sale, I'd say go for it. It's much better than most Buds, Miller, Coors, Busch, etc out there. Not quite as good as Rolling Rock but close.

***Update 4/15: I went out and purchased a 12 pack and there's no "cat poop" smell in these bottles. I may have gotten an old one before. At $8.99/12pk here in the midwest, it's not too bad. I like its smoothness. I possibly may get tired of it after 5-6 bottles over the course of a week or so. Still not as good as Rolling Rock (my current fav) but not a bad beer nonetheless.***

04-02-2010 20:27:50 | More by LightEnthusiast

03-14-2014 18:19:04 | More by DaftPatrick
grynder33

Wisconsin

1.95/5  rDev -40.2%

Clear light gold color, small head, terrible old corn aroma, very light corn taste, just a touch of malt sweetness. I guess you can tell its not a light, but I would take any Miller product over this. The third worst beer I've ever tasted. From the past reviews I'll assume its better when its fresher.

04-04-2004 00:53:21 | More by grynder33
mjwoolley33

Iowa

Couldn't resist throwing in my 2-cents on this one. Grain Belt has become my go to grilling, boating, America-loving, hot-day beer. Strong but smooth carbonation balanced with a light and corn-driven taste. Pours with a big, 1/2 - 1 inch head but goes down smoother straight from the bottle.

Is it fantastic? Not really. It's cheap, tastes decent, and really beats the heat. Thumbs up.

10-26-2011 02:56:26 | More by mjwoolley33
ryancl

08-02-2012 21:40:36 | More by ryancl
bsp77

3.08/5  rDev -5.5%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into water glass while at work. Yea!

Appearance: Very clear golden yellow but head does not last. Nice bubbles.

Smell: Grainy, sweet and some corn.

Taste: Clean and crisp with corn flavored grains and very slight hops at end. Aftertaste is mostly corn.

Feel: More moderate carbonation than some for the style, which are often way too fizzy.

Drinkability: Easy to drink but I am not a fan of corn in my beer. Of course, I would be happy to drink this in the right situations.

This is considered a local favorite in the category, but I just don't like the corn.

04-29-2009 21:59:53 | More by bsp77
NilocRellim

09-17-2012 22:15:15 | More by NilocRellim
MattyG85

3.95/5  rDev +21.2%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams pint glass.

Appearance: Pale golden yellow with lots of bubbles. Decent white head and good retention. Decent lacing.

Smell: Sweet corn and grain up front followed by a hint of lemon. Slight hint of hops in the background.

Taste: Sweet grains and wheat followed by a hint of lemon zest. Finishes with a slight hint of hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with medium carbonation. Very crisp.

Overall: A very tasty beer for an adjunct lager. By far my favorite for the style and a great tradition here in Minnesota.

04-30-2011 23:07:18 | More by MattyG85
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

2.4/5  rDev -26.4%

Wizz colored yellow, like you've been working out heavily or smoking 2 packs a day. Good head, large bubbles. Aroma was of a grain belt or elevator, or maybe I'm just projecting that out of the name. Smelled kinda like old beer.

Taste, pretty bland, mild sweetness, almost nonexistant hopping or malt character. Fractional bitterness. When I think 'grain' I don't think corn, but that seems what its all about. Mild, inoffensive.

I think a lot of people just dig this beer for the old school, retroness of it, its like PBR, but for the working man who doesn't smell and dress like hipster shit. My homie from MN swore by this stuff in school. Wasn't bad. Wouldn't be buying it anytime soon other, but it does belong in that cool class of adjunct beer like Blatz, Schlitz, Rhinelander etc. . .

05-11-2011 22:34:52 | More by Beerandraiderfan
ADR

2.68/5  rDev -17.8%

In order to better evaluate how Schell is brewing the Grain Belt formula, and to give a lighter Lager its due, I poured this side by side with the new Pig's Eye Pilsner -- another brand re-born...

Clear pale straw, decent head of short duration, but a left over ring laces the glass. Slighly metallic but sweet aroma, light corn syrup malt indications. The taste is similar, fairly corn husk in nature. Decent body, sturdier than Pig's Eye, but with flavor demonstrating less fruit. Slighly less carbonated late in the profile than the Minnesota Brewing version to my tongue. Hops are a little disappointing and sort of Miller High Life typical. A decent macro for those who like to support local economies but won't stray from American Lager. Thanks to Schell for preserving the brand, it meets a need...

07-24-2003 14:52:32 | More by ADR
schoon

03-27-2013 03:03:11 | More by schoon
IchLiebeBierZu

09-22-2013 15:14:26 | More by IchLiebeBierZu
Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

12-03-2011 21:24:08 | More by

bif_fat_sellout

11-09-2012 23:41:44 | More by bif_fat_sellout
LordofTime25

4.43/5  rDev +35.9%

I have had it in a can, bottle, and on tap.

Has a light amber almost straw apperance with a white foamy head that will last for a few drinks.

Smell is fruity with a hint corn.

Has a sweet fruity finish with a tangy corn taste.

Very light taste in your mouth with a full flavor.

I would drink this often. One of the beers I keep on hand. Found that women who like a casual beer like this.

10-14-2008 23:25:45 | More by LordofTime25
RDW

Nebraska

03-04-2012 06:04:44 | More by RDW
zjungleist

2.53/5  rDev -22.4%

I had this one night on my recent trip to the twin cities. Light yellow in color with a white head. As for taste and smell, there is not much you can say about this beer that you couldnt say about PBR or Hamm's. However, I would say that Grain Belt wins by a nose. There was a little bit of canned corn in the smell, and a slightly metalic taste. The mouthfeel was wet and bubbly. I think that freshness played a factor in it's moderate drinkability. I woudln't really got for this stuff after it had been shipped 2 or 3 states away. This beer served it's purpose, and I can't really complain about that.

09-13-2006 23:47:29 | More by zjungleist