Grain Belt Premium - August Schell Brewing Company

Grain Belt PremiumGrain Belt Premium

August Schell Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Although the Grain Belt Premium recipe has changed hands over the years, one thing has remained the same–its legendary unique taste. And now that Premium is in the capable hands of a brewery with an even longer tradition than Grain Belt–the August Schell Brewery–may you rest assured that the flavor and heritage of Premium will live on forever.

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 07-04-2003)

Nickhagin, Aug 06, 2014
3.85/5  rDev +18.1%

had one of these a few years back and still wish I could find it again. I will admit, I'm a fan of a number of AALs after all, that's what over 90% of beer drinkers probably start on. If they tell you different, they're probably lying. It bothers me, like I said in a forum, that these beer snobs rate all AALs low just because its not some overly
hopped crap. there's a ton of AALs, especially grain belt, that are (in my opinion) better than most craft beers. anyway, overall a great beer and staple of the Midwest.

flagbearer, Aug 04, 2014

kbaker91, Aug 03, 2014
3.65/5  rDev +12%

Ah, I love a good Schell beer. Grain Belt is no exception. I haven't had this one for awhile so I'll review it with a fresh mind (and palate).

Appearance - as always, in bottle. I almost never pour. Average rating at 3.0.

Smell - cracking the cap...buttered and very lightly sugared popcorn; deep sweet smelling grain husks, fresh corn, salted and sweet malts. A lot like High Life. Enough smelling, I want to dive in.

Taste - Fantastic. Nice and sweet with a bit of bite that dissolves into a musty grain flavor. Very low bitterness but it's there. A hint of sour chemical at the end that I wish wasn't there so it gets docked half a point. A very easy drinker.

Mouthfeel - Carbonated right from the get go but still smooth.

Overall - This beer is a clear winner. It's got the right flavor in the right areas and keeps it simple. This beer is like High Life but better. Grain Belt is a beer I would recommend to friends for almost any occasion. The friendly beer!

The-Adjunct-Hippie, Aug 03, 2014

Mheider, Jun 29, 2014

vwbus7, Jun 24, 2014

TX-Badger, Jun 22, 2014
3.65/5  rDev +12%

Not going to lie, I'm a homer and this is the home town beer. Well, GBP and EPA are THE home town beers, but this is the original. It's a corny lager, not my favourite, but probably my second favourite. It's sort of sweet, which is my only complaint, but it's a nice sweetness. We like sweet here. Give me a Jucy Lucy and a Premo and some fries and I'm in fucking heaven. GBP is liquid history, a regional brand that somehow didn't get sucked into the multinational brewing conglomeration, a fucking time capsule. Your grandfather drank this beer. And so do his grand kids. I'm grateful for that and I'm proud that Pennsylvania and Minnesota somehow managed to keep the wolves at bay and retain their regional brewers (Schells in Mn's case, who keep the GB torch alight). A far from useful, but from the heart drunken review. You are welcome.

mjryan, Jun 20, 2014