30th Anniversary Pilsner Series - Mandarina - August Schell Brewing Company

to view more.
Ratings: 50 | Reviews: 12
Reviews by HoistinBrews:
3.8/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Another shout out to Chaz & Grant for their huge generosity in allowing me to try some of these beers I'd otherwise never see.

I'll admit up front that I'm skeptical of a Pilsner using Mandarin hops, but I'm going to base opinion on my taste buds. 6.5 ABV Pilsner?

A -- Clear, deep gold with a smooth, off-white head that settles to a thin and persistent cap.

S -- Mildly piny and spicy with some mellow breadiness and peppery alcohol fighting for attention.

T -- Bready, crackery malts up front followed by a spicy -- slightly citrus hop character. Finish is breadiness with an aftertaste of citrus that turns to dry spiciness from alcohol. Hard to believe this is 60 IBU because the bitterness is very subdued and balanced by the malts.

M -- The mouthfeel is soft to dry with a light to light-medium body.

O -- Okay, I'll admit that I like this modern-day take on the style and would buy more when available. It's not a dead on, to-style Pils, but the hop character doesn't get carried away and send this into the APA zone, at least -- no APA I've tasted so far.

3.79/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12oz brown bottle with a freshness date.

Brilliantly clear golden hue, tight tiny bubbled lacing does a great job sticking around. Thick citrus rind hoppiness in the nose, kiss of cracker-like malt as well. Lovely crispness and smoothness, dry malt backbone is a good foundation. The Mandarina hop is very unique with grassy, pithy, rind and slightly spicy flavors. High level of bitterness keeps this one lively sip to sip.

3.69/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Pilsner glass.

Appearance: Light, slightly hazy, yellow with moderate white head and slight lacing lines.

Smell: Mostly straw and citrus, with some apple, pear and peppery hops.

Taste: More citrus than in their standard Pils. Grassy, grainy and straw-like, with sweet apple and pear. Has a peppery finish that is just a little bit bitter.

Feel: Moderately high carbonation, light body that is almost creamy, not quite as dry as I like in a great Pilsner.

Overall: Just a more citrusy version of their standard Pils. Solid but hoped for more variation.

3.89/5  rDev +8.7%

Clear, pale straw color with just over a finger of head that had good retention before settling to a thin cap. Moderate amount of lacing is left down the glass. The four different pilsners in this 12-pack looked very similar with the exception of the Roggen which had much less carbonation.

Light fruity and citrus hop aroma that is vaguely of tangerines. Mild pilsner malt adds its complimentary bready hints. Smells well rounded.

The Mandarina Bavarian hops do add some unique flavor but they hardly dominate the flavor and aroma as the label claims. Even if I perceive the bitterness as being a little bit more than Schell's other pilsners, it is hardly hop dominated. Dry malt with a touch of citrus with hints of grass and pepper. Almost like some Noble hops snuck in there.

Light body and nicely carbonated. Nice crisp feel that fits light lagers nicely.

I like this new hop and hopefully it makes its way into more beer. A good, solid beer.

3.28/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Light as can be almost clear. Metallic grainy smell synonymous with German pils. Dry earthy hop flavor, metallic aftertaste. Nothing special, I'd grab a mass produced adjunct lager before I sought this out again

3.75/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

BB 072414
A- pours a clear sunshine yellow color with a pure white 1 finger head that recedes to a fresh cap very little lacing
S- pils smells of grain and malt with bread and cracker wet grass slight citrus
T-clean malts and hops just a slight touch of tangerine in this would have liked more of this hop,pepper and light spices end with baked bread and lemon grass
M-clean and crisp on the palate slight metallic bitterness
O- its a pils and its good would like more of the tangerine to shine

3.73/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Deleted my old review.

Appearance : flowing, foamy head, about four fingers tall. Mostly transparent, with a very light golden color.

Aroma : crisp, clean aromas with mild corn and wheat, I mean - this is what I envision a good pilsner should smell like. It's fabulous.

Flavor : it's a bit on the bitter side but its not at all bad. I think when I was reviewing it before (I gave it an overall 2.14) I wasn't used to the style. The hop is slightly dirty, or earthy maybe, but the rest of it finishes clean and just like a pilsner should.

Mouthfeel : like sucking on a cloud. That's the best I can come up with. It's so light, almost nonexistent. It ends a bit dirty and dry, but crisp at the same time.

Overall : I'm not one for bitter but id buy this again. It's a damn good representation of a pilsner and I'd drink them with ease. Nice work fellas.

3.76/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle with a date. Made with the Mandarina Bavaria hop.

clear, golden color with a small fluffy white head. smell is light - wheat, grass, and citrus. taste is grain, sweet bread, and an odd pink-grapefruit-esque bitterness. crispy, smooth, fruity hops with a spicy finish.

3.79/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Another from the 30th anniversary of the pilsner series.

Pours a white head. Color is a straw yellow. Active carbonation in the glass.

Flavor profile: Earthy, floral hop noes. Bready/biscuity malts. It really doesn't taste too different from the regular pils. I was expecting more of a fruit flavor, but the tangerine and citrus notes don't really come through.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and clean. Lighter bodied. Good carbonation. Ends clean.

Overall, a bit of a disappointment as this was the one I was most excited about. I am glad it still tastes like a pilsner, but I was hoping for a bit more fruitiness.

I gave the rating I did because it still tastes like a good pilsner, but I didn't go any higher because I don't think it turned out as intended.

3.38/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Mandarina Pils is a golden colored beer with a thick head of foam and bubbly body. There is some citrus in the nose and some bread. The beer drinks clean and leaves little or no lacing.

With the taste, this pils offers flavors of grassiness, light pale malt, grain, and some hints of citrus and pear. The body of the beer is medium to light, with a crispness that makes the beer drinkable and refreshing. There is a somewhat off- putting metallic flavor at the end, but not enough to spoil the experience.

August Schell is one of America’s oldest breweries and its Anniversary Pilsner series is an enjoyable one overall. This beer is the fourth I have tried in the series and while it doesn’t rank as my favorite among the four, it is still interesting in its own way. At first, I wasn’t too thrilled with the somewhat metallic taste, but I liked the beer more as I drank more and appreciated the other contributing flavors. It’s a good pilsner from Schell and I hope to see more special edition beers in the future.

3.65/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Gold, good head.

Smell: Sweet, touch of orange, bready.

Taste: Vaguely fruity, tangerine/orange flavor. Finishes moderately dry.

Overall: Beer #3 from the Schell pilsner mix pack. An interesting beer that reminds me more of a pale ale than a pilsner. The mandarina hops definitely give an orange-y flavor which pushes it away from the traditional pilsner flavor. Still gives a dry finish but seems like a different style due to the hops. Tasty.

3.43/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Golden in color, and with near-excellent clarity. Slightly hazy. Off-white head settles after a couple of minutes, leaving a touch of lace around the edge of the glass.

Although there is no yeast character (very neutral) on the nose, it still offers more than average fruit esters, being a bit more "Ale-like"than your average Pils. Prominent citrus character, and yes, Mandarin orange-like. A bit odd at first, but I think many might like this -- even in a Pils!

Right away this one is sweeter and more full of malt backbone on the first sip than your average, lighter-bodied and crisper Pils. Lighter bitterness toward the end of the drink, and it settles in and lingers mildly at the end. Bittersweet at the finish.

Citric character of the hop translates to a lemon/lime rind (not quite orange peel, at this point) and there's a slight note of oxidation*, as well.

There's a bigger, bolder mouthfeel, here. I believe this is 6.5%? So it's in Maibock territory, really. When this first hit the shelves I remember getting the impression that I couldn't drink more than two of these in a sitting without having to really -slow down- whereas that wasn't the case for the other recipes included in the 30th Anniversary Pils sampler.

Thankfully, the hop bitterness, although mild,really hangs in there and offsets the punchy-sweet malt in this almost boozy beer.

Overall it is unique and certainly -different- than your average Pils rendition, so I would rate it as being "above average" -- even though I didn't particularly care for it upon it's initial release. Mouthfeel has improved, and drinkability has improved with a bit of age.

Altogether this is a good beer, and this particular bottle (stored in its unopened 12-pack in the back of my 'DBF') held up very well, and perhaps even improved over the fresh rendition. The unique flavor characteristics of the Mandarina Bavaria hop and the alcoholic strength of the beer have finally come to balance one another out, and it is no longer as 'hot' as I found it to be, initially.

*Note: This is another 'year old' bottle.

to view more.