Schell's Dark - August Schell Brewing Company

Schell's DarkSchell's Dark

August Schell Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.80% ABV

This beer is dark because the barley is roasted longer– a flavorful lager that everyone will enjoy.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-17-2002)

4.75/5  rDev +43.5%

4.75/5  rDev +43.5%

4.63/5  rDev +39.9%

After drinking mainly dark beers and stouts since I started throwing down and subsequently enjoying the brew, I wanted to find a dark beer that was satisfying but not filling. I found this in Schell Dark. When I bought my first case of Schell Dark, it was in a colorful package calling to mind the region it was born, but not in an overtly exploitative manner. The bottle is clear with a colorful wrap, the contents are a dark caramel color. The smell is sweet, with a nice barley aroma. For a dark beer, I was expecting more of a bite, but there was very little bitterness. There was a medium amount of carbonation. The beer went down smooth and it would be good as a session beverage.

4.5/5  rDev +36%

4.5/5  rDev +36%

4.33/5  rDev +30.8%

This was poured into a pilsner flute from the bottle.

A- clear, deep ruby/amber color with a decent head that settles quickly into a lacing

S - caramel and light roasted malt with a touch of hops

T - light roasted malt flavor, malty/grain with a slightly dry hop finish (more of a hop finish as it warms)

M - medium/light body, moderate-high carbonation

D - I rated this based on the Dark American Lager style, as I believe this was the brewery's intent based on the packaging. For BA purposes, this would probably fall into the Dark Euro Lager category. Nonetheless, it is extremely well crafted and should be recognized as such (I think). It's a very clean lager and extremely 'quaffable'. It kind of reminds me of my memories of Lowenbrau back in the day.

4.25/5  rDev +28.4%

4.2/5  rDev +26.9%

From a sampler pack. Since Miller and Anheuser still control the distributors and retailers here this good stuff has to fight for space. I could drink a lot of this. I am pretty new here and very unprofessional. That said, what I do not understand is the biases of other reviewers. Rules are... do not criticize your fellow reviewers. But, I gotta say .. Art is in the eye of the beholder. I rated this beer high BEFORE I read anybody elses reviews and after I rated it high and reviewed the balance of the thread, I had second thoughts until I started reading comparisons to some beers that would be skipped if I had some of this stuff around. I do every much like this beer. Anyway..this is above average..darn good beer leaving a fresh after taste. Slightly fruity I guess. You certainly aren't even tempted to add a lemon.

4.19/5  rDev +26.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.5

Served from a bottle

I usually steer clear of dark beers and resisted trying Schell's Dark. I often associated dark beers with being bitter and filling. This was not the case. I loved there was very little bitterness. A very refreshing beer, light malt with a great aftertaste. Not a lot of carbonation though. With some types beers I have one and I am done. I will usually have one after work and one with dinner. Goes great with meat and potatoes.

4.15/5  rDev +25.4%

Picked up in a 12 pack sampler today.

Poured from a clear 12oz bottle into an oversized snifter.
Aroma on this is very similar to, if not identical to the 2008 Snowstorm brew. Which I enjoyed the hell out of and am very disseminated it wont be back again in a new label form, like the 2006 snowstorm, no stout.
Bits of rye, Vienna malt, lots of cereal grain aroma, honey, chocolate grains. This is an absolute malt bomb. Some hops do come through, although laid back, allowing the malt to shine.

Appearance is a bit of a darker brown with ruby red highlights. The head formed about an inch of white and somewhat quickly melted away to leave a thin layer and thicker collar. Lace is thin and spotty, leaving oily streaks.

Mouthfeel is slick and pillow like with a fluffiness from carbonation. Mostly thin after the carbonation fizzles out, which also is laid back and does not bite the palette.

Taste is extra malty, with a darker roasty quality, chocolate grains, semi sweet all the way through. A bit more rye and vienna malts.

Finishing with a long malt linger and a bit of grassy hops.
Solid brew for a clear bottle. Very much the sessionable beer at 4.8%

4.13/5  rDev +24.8%

Schell's Dark was a transparent Munich dunkel lager with a light beige head that faded rapidly to a thin collar.

The aroma was underwhelming but neutral grainy.

The taste was where Schell's Dark really shone. Roasted caramel malt, nutty and yes, some chocolate too.

The mouth feel improves with warming to barely medium bodied, but oily and adequately carbonated.

The drinkability was excellent. I had purchased it in a Schell sampler pack, but if I could find it in a six pack, I'd rush out and buy one or two.

A very underrated beer, though not aesthetically pleasing enough for a huge rating. For those of you that rated this poorly, take another look, with an open mind and warmed slightly.

4.13/5  rDev +24.8%

Mahogany color with a two finger light beige head with nice retention and lacing. The aroma has caramel malt, light toasted bread, and hops.

The taste is much like the aroma, with caramel malt, light toasted bread, and hops. The flavor is also sweet, and there is a bit of nuttiness in the background.

Light to medium bodied, smooth, with average carbonation. This is a dark lager done right. I have had this before many times. Not sure why it took so long for me to review.

4.03/5  rDev +21.8%

From a six-pack sampler bought in Minnesota. Appearance is a dark shade of amber, somewhat small head and very little lacing. Smell of grain and caramel while the taste is similar with an interesting sweetness at the end that entices another sip. Mouthfeel is not quite chewy but not thin either. Kind of wish I had more than just this bottle. Very good beer that can't be found out here.

Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

Now this is what I am talking about.

Great taste!!! Great drinkability!!

This is the beer that made me a Schell's fan.

Dark beer that isn't too dark. Light enough that you can drink several without feeling full.

Light on the tongue and light on the waist. Not a heavy beer by any means.

This isn't a porter or stout. This is just a darker beer done right. Who cares what it smells like, or what flower it tastes like....Let's be honest...this is a good tasting beer that happens to come from the 2nd oldest family brewerys in the USA. Please don't get all girly on us. If you want a good tasting beer that will go down smooth and would make a great addition to deer hunting camp, then this it the beer for you. HELLO!!!

A- pours a light amber/brown color, crystal clear, with a 1 finger head that recedes pretty quickly leaving some nice thick lacing.

S- Nuttiness, toasty caramel, light cocoa, and a nice light hop edge.

T- Starts with a nice creaminess that I don't often see in munich dunkels, with notes of caramel, roasted grains, light cocoa, and a light hop finish. A bit on the sweet side, but nice.

M- Mouthfeel is right were it needs to be on the low side. I enjoyed the creaminess of the beer.

D- This beer surprised me. I wasn't sure what to expect so it really impressed me. the sweetness can sometime be a little cloying making it a bit less sessionable.

Schell's Dark from August Schell Brewing Company