Schell's FireBrick - August Schell Brewing Company

good

August Schell Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Vienna Lager |  5.00% ABV

FireBrick was introduced in 1999, and is named after the bricks that line Schell's old boilers. It is the culmination of an effort to bridge the gap between the "popular-tasting" beers and the heartier, hand-crafted ones.
FireBrick is a refreshing all-malt lager with an amber-red hue that reflects the feeling of the brewery itself.

It has been described by Ted Marti as having a "subtle maltiness combined with a hint of hoppy taste that creates a mild, pleasantly drinkable beer." It is made with four specialty malts, along with Vanguard, Chinook and Hallertau hops.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-17-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schell's FireBrick Alström Bros
Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

1.25/5  rDev -65.9%

2.17/5  rDev -40.9%

best by 10/19/09

pours amber clear with a 1 finger head that left no lacing

smells like your average lager - carmel malts and some earthy hops

taste is bad - bitter macro malts

moutfeel is very over carbonated

drinkability is bad - bad taste with a sharp bite = drain pour

well my 4th out of the schell sample 6er and they are 2-4

2.38/5  rDev -35.1%

A= pours an orange amber color with a smaller head and no lacing.
S= Hmmmm really just sort of smells like an empty bottle.
T= hmmmm really just sort of tastes like an empty bottle. There's some metallic taste as well for some reason
M= Average all around
D= not too great. I wanted to like it. maybe I just had a bad sixer???? not too great

2.45/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear red color with a small cream white head. The aroma is thoroughly unimpressive. Faint malt tones can be detected through a cardboard backbone, but only if you concentrate extremely hard. The taste is a lot like the smell, but without the cardboard. It's mildly sweet and very wet. The mouthfeel is far too thin for a vienna lager. Overall, I'm not enjoying this beer. It is smooth and goes down easily, so I can see how certain demographics could find it enjoyable.

2.48/5  rDev -32.4%

Originally reviewed on September 24, 2005. Poured from a bottle on the Beer Train. Orange-amber pour, with white head. Stinky malt aroma. Dry dusty old malt flavor. Finish doesn’t exist. This beer has no value, as it's full of off-notes, corn fusels and water. In theory this is worse than some swills, because it's overrated and falls flat on it's face for the style.

2.5/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

I'm befuddled by the praising reviews as this beer is nothing more than an amped-up macro lager with more malt than say, Bud. The hops are macro acrid as in bitter, not floral or zesty like a good hopped beer.

The saving grace of this beer is that it's served on Northwest Airlines domestic flights, and it got me over my worst turbulence nerves going out and coming home. At $5 a can I was hoping it would deliver and at 5% alcohol it does the trick.

2.58/5  rDev -29.7%

Night 3 of my birthday gift sampler pack. Tonight I will be reviewing firebrick in a 12 oz bottle.

Smell - toasted barley, bitter sour pilsner grains. Blueberry syrup. Spice.
Lots of character! I honestly get an image of "firebrick" in my head when I smell it.

Taste - Bitter and sour. "Eye-twitching" bitter. Really not used to the style. Can tell you off the cuff I am not a fan here. Some say this beer doesn't represent the style well. I can tell you if the rest of the Vienna's are like this, I'll never drink one again.

I'll try to be subjective though : grass, dirt, wine vinegar. Starting to sound like a Tide commercial. Some yeasty barley.

Mouthfeel - Full bodied yet thin. Carbonated zing.

Overall - Gross? I won't be trying this again. I'm sure this beer is great for its style (300 beer reviewers can't be wrong?), however it is definitely not one I'll be coming back for. A class "A" nominee for drain pour. Tonight I'm gonna save my sobriety and calories for a beer ill enjoy. At least I can say I've "beer there, done that".

2.6/5  rDev -29.2%

2.65/5  rDev -27.8%

This beer pours extremely clear and copper/red in color with a dense, off-white head that fades quickly. The aroma is severely lacking. I don't smell anything here that I might not smell in a macro, unfortunately. I detect faint grassy tones and perhaps a bit of corn, despite the fact that this is an all-malt lager. The taste isn't bad, but isn't as good as it could be, either. Hints of roastiness and spice work well with the flavor, but it's far more diminished than I would hope for. The mouthfeel is weak and watery. If the bitterness weren't there, I don't think I'd want to drink this. Overall, not as good as what I've come to expect from Schell, but still better than most macros.

2.75/5  rDev -25.1%

Schell FireBrick: If this beer’s not flat, then it’s the least carbonated beer I’ve ever had. Name is dead on, however, this is a fire brick red beer in appearance. Malt aroma is very apparent, and there is a malt sweetness to this beer, but there is an unpleasant sourness as well. Not worth your while.

2.78/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bought in the 6-pack Sampler. Very disappointing.

Appearance-- nice amber with a light-brown thick foamy head. Looked great.

Smell-- gentle scent of dried grasses.

Taste-- No taste in the foam-- very disappointing. The beer didn't prove much better. Burning carbonation on the back of my throat, not really over-carbonated, just something that wasn't all that pleasant. Very lackluster taste, overall. I kept searching for the malts. HIdden remnants of what might be some mild stale hops-bitters. The finish was.... well, I was so tired of this by the last gulp that I dumped my stein in the grass.

Mouthfeel-- distant feelings of some residual hops bitterness if I focus on it. Constant foamy belching and basically a very boring nothing.

Drinkability-- too boring to drink much of this. It's fairly drinkable but .... not worth the time.

2.8/5  rDev -23.7%

Pours a nice medium amber color. Very inviting.
A very light muddy/earthy aroma, plus somewhat sweet.
Nice head that calms down at an acceptable rate.
The lacing wasnt much, but was around for a while.
Close to no mouthfeel, I couldnt determine how it felt, neither thick, creamy, or slick. Basically to me no initial flavor whatsoever.
After going down, there was a predominant bitter dry aftertaste, much like an import pilsner. A decent beer if you have a meal to go with it.

2.8/5  rDev -23.7%

my second beer by schell's, and while it is an improvement on the first--the caramel bock--it too is a bit of a cipher: looks good (amber-red in a pint glass, with a very quickly dissipating head), has a better aroma than the bock, but on the palate it is a bit of a nothing. nothing complex about the flavours or the finish. nice mouthfeel and quite drinkable but completely middle of the road. i don't know much about vienna style lagers, which this purports to be, so can't say if it is a good example of the style. i would drink it again, but i would not buy it to stock at home.

2.8/5  rDev -23.7%

She’s a brick…house. Pours a coppery color with good clarity and some lighter golden hues in the light. The head was pour with big bubbles and quickly faded. No lacing really to speak of.

The smell is malty with a caramel kick. A grainy touch with a sprinkle of what I think is crystal, but its rather limited. Some fruity esters with a spicey nod at the end. Maybe a mix of yeast.

The taste is limited overall. The malt presence is light and wisp and then fades from there. Rather bland malt with basic flavor. Some lighter caramel malts if you look for them. Not much of a finish, but there is a dry feeling which may cover up some.

The body is light and really deters the taste. Overall it’s a boring brick house.

2.83/5  rDev -22.9%

Pours a copper color with a thin head that disappates quickly with no lacing. The aroma is of caramel malts and maybe a hint of hoppiness, the aroma is kinda faint and hard to get to. The taste is of caramel malt backbone and a little toastiness, along with a slight hop bite. The mouthfeel is very carbonated and fizzy. Overall the drinkability is okay, you could have a couple, but there are better beers in this style out there. A little faint in the aroma and taste department.

2.85/5  rDev -22.3%

12 oz bottle: Aroma is sweet grainy malt, hay, toasted, very light malt backing poking through with a grassy note but way in the background. Appearance is a clear amber with a thick off white head that diminishes after a few minutes. Taste is nicely malty, slightly metallic, and a lot mellower than the aroma. Aftertaste has the more of the roasted, toasted an caramel note of the malts. OVerall, Decent to Average. Cheers!

2.88/5  rDev -21.5%

From the brewery that I get my BA name, I am sorry to say that this is my least favorite beer from Schell's.

Pours a medium to dark brown orange color. When I get to the taste, I need to complain. This beer has a funky aftertaste that I don't really enjoy. Really noticable when one gets to the bottom 1/4 of the bottle. Overall, just not for me since I am a Porter and Stout guy.

Shell's....you have made better but I won't hold this against you. Keep up the great work. Fantaistic that Minnesota has the 2nd oldest family brewery in the USA.

Schell's FireBrick from August Schell Brewing Company