Schell's FireBrick - August Schell Brewing Company

good

August Schell Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Vienna Lager |  5.00% ABV

FireBrick was introduced in 1999, and is named after the bricks that line Schell's old boilers. It is the culmination of an effort to bridge the gap between the "popular-tasting" beers and the heartier, hand-crafted ones.
FireBrick is a refreshing all-malt lager with an amber-red hue that reflects the feeling of the brewery itself.

It has been described by Ted Marti as having a "subtle maltiness combined with a hint of hoppy taste that creates a mild, pleasantly drinkable beer." It is made with four specialty malts, along with Vanguard, Chinook and Hallertau hops.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-17-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schell's FireBrick Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +22.6%

4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

3.76/5  rDev +2.5%

3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

3.76/5  rDev +2.5%

3.84/5  rDev +4.6%

3.87/5  rDev +5.4%

3.98/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Serving type: bottle chilled to ~40F. poured into hefeweizen glass

Appearance: Well as the name suggests, it has a deep red color with maybe a bit of orange. A very conservative pour produces a half-finger sudsy white head that quickly goes down to lace. Lacing is moderate

Smell: sweet, lightly roasted and delicious malts. I could be wrong, but it reminds me a bit of red ale. Not much going on with hops.

Taste: I guess the best I can describe it is rich, flavorful lager. There’s some iron in the aftertaste, which reminds me of the water from the northern MN iron range. The first time I tried it the thought of bread came to mind. This wasn’t white bread, but hearty whole grain.

Mouthfeel: Moderate, it adds a good amount of heft to this lager and makes it really enjoyable.

Overall: Schell’s did a good job with this malt extravaganza. If you’re looking for something else from the hop-forward IPA’s that characterize craft beer, this is a good change of pace. FireBrick is a nice, very approachable beer to introduce to your non-BA friends.

2.75/5  rDev -25.1%

2.58/5  rDev -29.7%

Night 3 of my birthday gift sampler pack. Tonight I will be reviewing firebrick in a 12 oz bottle.

Smell - toasted barley, bitter sour pilsner grains. Blueberry syrup. Spice.
Lots of character! I honestly get an image of "firebrick" in my head when I smell it.

Taste - Bitter and sour. "Eye-twitching" bitter. Really not used to the style. Can tell you off the cuff I am not a fan here. Some say this beer doesn't represent the style well. I can tell you if the rest of the Vienna's are like this, I'll never drink one again.

I'll try to be subjective though : grass, dirt, wine vinegar. Starting to sound like a Tide commercial. Some yeasty barley.

Mouthfeel - Full bodied yet thin. Carbonated zing.

Overall - Gross? I won't be trying this again. I'm sure this beer is great for its style (300 beer reviewers can't be wrong?), however it is definitely not one I'll be coming back for. A class "A" nominee for drain pour. Tonight I'm gonna save my sobriety and calories for a beer ill enjoy. At least I can say I've "beer there, done that".

3.58/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured on tap at a rochester honkers game. Pours reddish amber with a small white head. Smells of some dark roasted malt but not much else. Tastes of some dark roasted malt with a slight berry aftertaste. Beer is light bodied nice carbonation very crisp. Overall, an above average beer.

4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

2.88/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

FireBrick pours a dark reddish color with a decent sized head. The aroma is non-existent. The taste has a harsh malt backbone and finishes with a very grainy taste. Nice body, unusual flavors. Overall its a bit harsh, and has some adjunct like flavors.

3.5/5  rDev -4.6%