Bavarian Forest Dampfbier - August Schell Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

August Schell Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Dunkelweizen |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: garymuchow on 08-19-2008)
Reviews by mothman:
4.38/5  rDev +6.3%

On tap at the Sidestreet in Fargo. Poured into a pint glass.

Color is orange/ruby amber. There was only a little head, but I think it was because the way the server poured it, must not be experience. Hence, there was no lacing.

Smell is of cloves and a little smoked/toasted malts. Taste is of bananas and cloves. A slight hint of hops.

Mouthfeel is very, very smooth and crisp. Leaves a great aftertaste.

Overall, this was a great beer! I am excited that I had the chance to try it. I am looking forward to No. 4!

mothman, Nov 21, 2008

Appearance is clear copper-brown with ruby highlights and a frothy tan head. Good lacing. Aroma has tons of banana and spices like clove, nutmeg, anise, along with a dose of Bazooka bubblegum. Hop aroma has some flowery noble hops. Taste has, again, the same yeast character as found in aroma and a full German malt character reminding me of toffee, caramel, and fresh bread dough. All that malt character lends to a medium mouthfeel and the finish is rather sweet due to the yeast. To sum it up, it smells like a Hef but tastes like a combination of a Vienna lager and a Hef. A very interesting brew.

beerkittycat, Sep 01, 2008
4.88/5  rDev +18.4%

Wow. It's been a few months since I had this at Buster's, but I just wanted to say that I hope this is the Anniversary beer that gets the nod to stay. Why???

1. It's unique to Schell's. They have nothing else like it.

2. It's tasty. I generally don't like clove/banana tasting beers but this one was GREAT!

3. I couldn't stop drinking these - what a flavor.

4. High marks all around. A real "find" as far as that old recipe book goes. In the spirit of old-time traditional beers for a historic German brewery, THIS IS THE ONE!!!

Wingman65, Apr 15, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +0.7%

To start off, I agree with Gary's listing of this beer as a dunkelweizen. It certainly isn't one, but it isn't anything else either, and is it closer to a dunkelweizen than anything else. It is a clear light amber color. The head is minimal. The aroma is close to that of a dunkelweizen. There is a lot of banana and clove with tons of malt behind it, but the malt is barley malt instead of wheat. This gives the beer the taste of something like an amber ale brewed with weizen yeast, and I like it. Dampfbier is traditionally brewed without hops, but from what I read this beer was brewed using a very small amount of them. I couldn't detect any in the aroma, taste or mouthfeel which was soft like all of the Scottish Gruits I have tried. Overall, this is a very interesting beer. It is more than just an odd style of beer. It is an odd style that is so unique, yet so much like so many other styles. This has caused a lot of debate on this site, which in turn has caused all of us who participated in that debate to learn something new about beer. For that I think this beer is a true winner.

KarlHungus, Aug 21, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +5.1%

Alright, this has been debated enough and it doesn't appear a new category is going to be added, so in order to move on with our lives I'm adding this beer. It's too good to wait.
Dunkelweizen is chosen 'cuz it's the closest, but it's not completely accurate for a malt exclusive beer, i.e., no wheat, with a hefe yeast.
Aroma is a hefe yeast full of banana and rounded out with some clove. Fresh and appealing.
Remarkably clear beer with amber of brown and a really white head which does subside somewhat quickly.
The banana yeast quality is still primary in the flavor, but there is a nice subtle malt flavor, not sweet, but present, subtle but there. Overall simple, but very tasty. Kind of a banana bread flavor, but with barley base. It tastes a lot better than that sounds.
Nicely carbonated with soft and fine bubbles. There is a very mild slickness. This is smooth and it holds some body, but isn't soft and fluffy like a wheat beer. It feels more barley based.
This beer drinks quite nicely. A very good summer beer. The bananas may be too much for some, but not me. I like this a lot more than I expected. Kudos to the brewers and Schells!
Also, thanks to Bryan for the opportunity.

garymuchow, Aug 19, 2008
3.95/5  rDev -4.1%

Very neat! Can't imagine I'll ever have the chance to savor another brand of this style. Poured with an off-white head that dissipates somewhat. Some lace. Clear medium dark amber color. Yeasty, malty, spicy aroma. Great barley malt/ bavarian weiss yeast flavor. Perfect carbonation. Fresh finish. Session beer. Clean. Masterfullly done. Great beer.

drpimento, Oct 18, 2008
3.25/5  rDev -21.1%

I'd been hearing about this beer quite a bit, but I've never seen it. I happened across it at the Dubliner (an irish pub) of all places.

Poured in a Schell's Anniversary pint glass, this beer comes off w/ a deep amber to brownish color. Good carbonation present, but not overly lively. The aromas are odd. I first get cloves, bananas, and some spicy yeastiness. Not what I'd expect from a Schell's lager. I do get some maltiness, but it doesn't mesh well with the yeasty aromas. The flavor of this beer is odd, to say the least. First I'm hit with a great toffee, caramel, sweet maltiness. After that, I'm tasting a strong clove flavor with some banana as well. It isn't terrible, just not what I was expecting. I've never had a dunkelweizen before, so I can't compare this with that style. Based on what others are saying, this isn't a classic dunkelweizen either. The mouthfeel was smooth and light, which makes this a little more drinkable.

Overall, this was a slightly above average beer. I would recommend trying it due to its uniqueness. However, I would never pick up a six pack myself. It was at least an interesting experience.

brewdoc75, Sep 06, 2008
4.05/5  rDev -1.7%

Clear, amber-colored, small white head on this pour.

Distinctive banana esters in the aroma, light spice.Sweet and inviting.

Banana/clove flavor pops up right away, and then it's smooth and clean thereafter.
"Dampf" is German for steam, and this is a lager/ale hybrid, much like Anchor Steam. Weissbier yeast in an all-barley lager, yet brewed like an ale. With light hopping.
Light bodied, soft finish, persistent weissbier flavor lingering on the palate. Great drinkability.

I think #1 is still my favorite in the series, but this is not bad at all. Quite approachable, and tasty. And if they hadn't made this, I don't know when I would have finally heard of "dampfbier."

feloniousmonk, Oct 06, 2008
Bavarian Forest Dampfbier from August Schell Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 8 ratings.