Schell's Deer Brand - August Schell Brewing Company

August Schell Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 07-10-2002

Schell's Deer Brand was developed prior to Prohibition and has been Schell's flagship beer ever since. Brewed from 70 percent barley malt, 30 percent corn, and our unique 'Schell' yeast, Deer Brand is full flavored American Lager.
4.85/5  rDev +50.2%

This is what a man drinks. This is what I consider to be a great beer. Good price, and something I can enjoy in all seasons. Great to have while hanging out in the yard over the summer, and also a great remedy after a day of shoveling heavy snow. An interesting flavorful beer with a unique dry finish, a dryness thats pleasing and not off-putting like alot of the dry beers of the '90s. My tastes change, and I typically don't buy more than a 6 pack because by the time I'm done the 6, I'm ready for something new. This is not the case with Schell's. I buy this buy the case because I will always be in the mood for it. A perfect beer.

3.25/5  rDev +0.6%

2.5/5  rDev -22.6%

3.04/5  rDev -5.9%

3.75/5  rDev +16.1%

Ok, this is much better than I ever expected. If you are craving an IPA, well no. But an awesome beer when craving a lager. Love the malt taste and simple mouth feel. My new lawn mowing beer and I think this one is a hidden gem.

3.25/5  rDev +0.6%

3.16/5  rDev -2.2%

3.06/5  rDev -5.3%

4.25/5  rDev +31.6%

3.48/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

One of the beers that I used to hunt back when regionals were the white whales of the day. Schell was the brewery that made it clear to me that there were better beers than BMC to be found.

A -- Pours a clear, very pale straw yellow color with a sudsy white head that settles pretty quickly.

S -- Fresh-type DMS, grainy malts, some mild citrus esters.

T -- Initial sip was unremarkable, didn't think I could really taste anything. Then the grainy malts came thru with some of that light citrus character. The finish was mildly bitter and lingered into the aftertaste. There was nothing off in character, no bad carb bite or syrupy adjunct sweetness, very smooth.

M -- Light body with a crisp mouthfeel.

O -- This is a nostalgic beer in the sense that it's probably the same as it was from the 1950s to now. I can remember drinking beers like this on Northwoods vacations back in the 70s and it conjures good memories. It's not a good craft lager, but it's a few notches above the typical macro brew -- it even out-performs Leinekugel's original at its own game. A good throwback regional.

3.74/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I gave Schell's Deer Brand such high marks because it is one of the best American lagers I have had. Compare it to Coors, Bud, etc and you will know why. I view an American lager as a beer that doesn't get in your tastebuds way. Every gulp should be a nice experience and not leave you thinking "what else can I drink." I do prefer other styles of beer over American lagers, this is the one I enjoy drinking.

Schell's Deer Brand from August Schell Brewing Company