Schell's Deer Brand - August Schell Brewing Company

August Schell Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 07-10-2002

Schell's Deer Brand was developed prior to Prohibition and has been Schell's flagship beer ever since. Brewed from 70 percent barley malt, 30 percent corn, and our unique 'Schell' yeast, Deer Brand is full flavored American Lager.
4.85/5  rDev +49.2%

This is what a man drinks. This is what I consider to be a great beer. Good price, and something I can enjoy in all seasons. Great to have while hanging out in the yard over the summer, and also a great remedy after a day of shoveling heavy snow. An interesting flavorful beer with a unique dry finish, a dryness thats pleasing and not off-putting like alot of the dry beers of the '90s. My tastes change, and I typically don't buy more than a 6 pack because by the time I'm done the 6, I'm ready for something new. This is not the case with Schell's. I buy this buy the case because I will always be in the mood for it. A perfect beer.

4.17/5  rDev +28.3%

12oz bottle, single bought at the corner liquor sto'

typical light corn yellow look, bone white rocky head. smell is light grain, cooked corn, freshly cut grass. taste is light and wheaty, crisp, with a light sprinkling of herbal hops.

this blows away most others in the category

3.86/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

First off I want to say, even though I'm right next door to minnesota, I had one heck of a time finding this beer. When i finally DID see it in the wild, I grabbed onto it like it was the last six pack on earth for fear I'd never see it again. Literally this search went statewide for about 1 year. So I am now the proud owner of six bottles of "Deer Brand" aka, Schell's Original.

Appearance : An unusually very, very pale body that almost looks crystal clear. It's got a slight tint to it that borders on yellows, but pale is definately the word here. The head is a stark white gorgeous fluff on top and recedes to a ring within a couple minutes' time. Lacing looks like icing on a cake.

Aromas : A dirty herbal aroma from hop comes out immediately, followed by some calmer, more delicate malt notes. The grain heads are apparent here, perhaps slightly baked. A faint metallic smell carves a backbone to the nose.

Taste : very smooth malts - a very delicate dance of barley and perhaps rice or wheat; it follows with an unusual "pasty" hop flavor that has a moderate bite; finally ending with a slight breadiness with some yeasty aftertaste.

Mouthfeel : very smooth yet retaining moderate carbonation to keep things interesting. The end contains a sandpaper-like parch, it's nice and adds character.

Overall : I was glad I found this. A solid beer with few caveats.

3.84/5  rDev +18.2%

I've got to get this off my chest. Straight from the Schells website it puts this at 70 grain/30 corn. Therefor, shouldn't be a munich helles... whew... ok

A- Pours a clear yellow with faint sediment dancing around. The head is 1 finger in height, white, and short lived as it recedes down to a micro cap in about a minute.

S- Not a bad nose at all. I get notes of some hops, some graininess, a bit of nutmeg,caramel, some breadiness and sweet malt.

T- Starts out rather malty but a hoppy edge comes in to balance out the caramel and biscuit notes. The finish retains a bit of the caramel and grainy bread notes. I can't help but to gather bits of green apple skins on the finish.

M- Medium carbonation scrubs the palette in a delicate manner. The finish is long and actually has CHARACTER!

D- What a great beer. I tended to shy away from this beer as the deer just screamed macro, however, this turned out to be a nice sessionable beer with ample character for what it is.

3.76/5  rDev +15.7%

I guess they actually use cascades in this although you'd never guess it...still not a bad beer...depends on how you look at it....compared to top quality lagers this falls a little short(but is in the same ballpark)..but compared to the basic macros this is better than most (if not all)and quite good.

Pours a nice looking clear golden color...one inch head fades to nothing in seconds....nose is strained barley and corn...body is creamy and smooth...no bitterness....it is on the lighter side of medium bodied for this style....very drinkable...

Taste is sweet malt...like a helles light...I really think this is a decent every day beer and actually I'm surprised....Unfortunately this costs a little more than the macros but fortunately less than the micros....If you like regular macro beers this is worth trying....and if you hate macros you still might give it a shot because it could surprise you a little...Much better than their Schells Dark...

This would be my top choice for a basic every day...macro like lager...a great summer beer that won't break the bank....highly drinkable..

3.75/5  rDev +15.4%

Ok, this is much better than I ever expected. If you are craving an IPA, well no. But an awesome beer when craving a lager. Love the malt taste and simple mouth feel. My new lawn mowing beer and I think this one is a hidden gem.

3.74/5  rDev +15.1%

Cheers and deer beers!

Cracked an ice cold can of deer beer and poured into an old school shorty mug.

Clear and pale straw with little to zero foam head.

Faint sweet grain aroma. Not offensive.

Clean and crisp, balanced slightly sweet grain with just a kiss of bitter. Clean finish. Again, not offensive.

Sparkling water mouthfeel. Nothing there.

Slammable, poundable, crushable drinkability. Car wash squeaky clean. This is where this beer shines, unbelievably drinkable. Goes with everything. I wish the average beer Schell's drinker would reach for one of these instead of a Grain Belt Premium Light. But hey, all the more for me.

3.74/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I gave Schell's Deer Brand such high marks because it is one of the best American lagers I have had. Compare it to Coors, Bud, etc and you will know why. I view an American lager as a beer that doesn't get in your tastebuds way. Every gulp should be a nice experience and not leave you thinking "what else can I drink." I do prefer other styles of beer over American lagers, this is the one I enjoy drinking.

3.7/5  rDev +13.8%

Appearance - Pale in color much like a mass produced beer.

Smell - Presence of hops, not overpowering.

Taste - Hops and some sweetness are present.

Mouthfeel - Smooth and clean.

Drinkability - It would be easy to drink several of these in one session. Very drinkable.

Serving type - 12 ounce bottle.

3.68/5  rDev +13.2%

A= a darker than macro fizzy yellow color with a pretty decent head
S= corn and rice
T= sweeter than I expected. Really tastes like minnesota grown bi color sweetcorn. Pretty good I must say
M= average all around
D= high. I like the sweetcorn taste. Good summer beer I think. Not bad at all

3.62/5  rDev +11.4%

"Helles" indeed, pouring a bright and clear yellow, capped with a two-finger head that settles too quickly and leaves no lace.

Flowery hops and lemon in the nose, a little fruity...a very clean, uncomplicated aroma.

Flavors are flowery, lightly sweet, mild citrus fruit (esp. lemon), mild grains, a slight honey-ish stick to the finish.

Extremely light in the mouth without being thin or watery...pretty crisp...raised up by healthy carbonation.

It would be easy to knock this if you're looking for a big beer...but this isn't even trying to be a tastebud-ripper. This is good, solid and enjoyable for the style...it's completely hitting the spot on this hot final day of August...and it's the best of the August Schell stuff I've had so far.

3.62/5  rDev +11.4%

I drank this straight from the 12 oz. brown longneck, with a brown deer label. The smell of this beer was dominated by malt, but I was expecting that. The taste was full and robust, but the thing that stood out from macro offerings, was the absence of any adjunct/corn flavors whatsoever. In the price range, and the lager category, this is one of my favorites.

3.59/5  rDev +10.5%

My thanks to Chaz who sent this to me and has been awaiting my review since its arrival. The CANQuest (TM) soldiers on in its march to 500 and beyond!

The Crack & Glug produced a finger of bubbly bone-white head that gave up some huge, burpy bubbles before it gassed itself out of existence. It was entertaining to watch, anyway. Color was a lightly hazy light-lemon yellow. Nose was pretty typical for the style - a light lager-sweetness underlain by the adjuncts. Not much corn, though, or if there was, it was not blatant. Mouthfeel was medium with a cleaner lager taste than in many examples of the style. I am not recommending rushing out to find some, but if the price were comparable to a Bud/Miller/Coors product, I would throw my money this way rather than that way. Finish was pretty clean for the style, whether it was a case of not going overboard on the adjuncts or what, I CANnot say, but this was pretty tasty and worthy of my cooler.

3.57/5  rDev +9.8%

Pours a light golden color, quite clear, with little head or lacing. I smell some malty sweetness, corn, ... and thats about all. Not at all very strong aroma, but still decently pleasant. Taste is nothing special or complicated, but I expect that out of lagers. Indeed, it is one of my least favorite styles of beer, but I can still tell that this is a decent lager. Bright, clisp and clean is how I'd discribe this beer. A good lager taste that fades quickly, which isn't so bad. When I first saw this when I poured it, I thought it'd be somewhat tasteless, flat, thin, but it turned out to be quite the opposite. Good taste, good body, good carbonation. So this doesn't score too high, but still its a quality beer. Schell lived up to my expectations... yay!

3.54/5  rDev +8.9%

12 oz into a pint

A - Pours a light straw to golden color. Incredibly clear. Light bubbling. Head formation is light, only a film left.

S - A light pilsner malt note comes off the beer. Overall, nothing potent of note.

T - Starts off with a light pilsner malt note. Gets a bit bitter, dry, balanced through the mid-stream. Somewhat grainy. Finishes with a smooth pilsner malt note - almost sweet. Seems more pils like than a macro lager.

M - Somewhat light beer body. Carbonation sting is present, not overwhelming. Finishes clean. Can be a bit empty at times.

D - Very easy drinking. Well hidden abv, which is manageable. Not filling. Clearly designed for sessioning.

Nothing very distinctive about this beer - but that may be the point. It pulls off a smooth drinking beer with light easy flavors.

3.53/5  rDev +8.6%

Even for an adjunct lager, this thing is pale. Almost no color at all. Looks like Seven $ 7 where there was just a few drops of whiskey and the rest of the glass was filled with soda. This thing developed a massive head that had very good retention. Heavy lacing is left on the glass. This would score higher in appearance if it had some color. Very weak aroma. A little graininess and sweet malt. No hops detected. The taste is also weak but somehow it tastes better than the big 3. Slightly sweet with some real malt flavor. No bitterness or hop flavor. The mouthfeel is where this beer really stands apart from other adjunct lagers. Smooth and creamy with a nice texture. Carbonation is kept in check. Easy to drink but not as good as Lakemaid, Grain Belt, or Dave's Brewfarm Select, but this is a lot cheaper than those other three.

3.5/5  rDev +7.7%

12 oz bottle, marked 06158 and 00024676, poured into a pilsner glass

A—clear pale yellow with a ¾ inch fizzy white head that quickly dissolves to a thin sheet, no lacing produced by this one

S—sweet grains, some lemon notes, a bit sour as well

T—not as sweet as the smell, mild grains overall, not much in distinct flavor really, just a bunch of mild grain flavors blended together

M—a bit thin, light bodied, mild carbonation

D—not bad, but nothing outstanding. Easily drinkable in mass quantities if you are going for that.

3.5/5  rDev +7.7%

A) Bright yellow body with a white cap that leaves spotty lace

S) A richer, deeper aroma than expected, mild orange rind gives some complexity

T) Some fruit in the taste, some hops that are citric (the orange rind and grapefruit), fairly balanced

M) Medium light body, medium carbonation

O) A very nice flavor lends drinkability. The citric notes along with some honey aspects make for an easy session beer.

3.49/5  rDev +7.4%

Ahhh... good ole deer brand. This is the only beer at the parent's house so I had to get used to it unless I bring my own beer.

Poured into a pint glass.

Pours a 1 finger of fizzy white head that lasts seconds. Lots of carbonation bubbles in the glass. Color is a golden straw color.

Aroma: It is odd, because I seem to get banana flavors from the aroma. This isn't the first time this has happened (different beers) and I think it is odd. Besides that, I get grain, corn, and a low level of hops.

Taste: Again, I get some fruity banana flavors mixed in with the grain and corn. I find this to be very odd and not something I would expect from the style. However, I do seem to enjoy it. The beer is fairly malty with a low amount of grassy hops present.

Mouthfeel: Dry and dry. Yep, that is about it. Lighter bodied with a lower amount of carbonation. Ends malty and very dry.

Overall, it is a decenmt beer for the style. It is a home town beer of mine, but I prefer there other offerings. However, I am glad I get to drink this over the BMC crap. This actually has some flavors. Very easy drinking.

3.48/5  rDev +7.1%

hay in color with lots of carbonation. A nice big head of fizzy white on top that only hangs around for a few moments before settling back down into virtually nothing. Dull aroma of musty bready notes with hints of light grain and a very light overall presentation. Taste is crisp, clean, and not long lasting. What is there is your traditional wet hay like flavor, hints of malts, and just the slightest bit of bite from a bitter note toward the end.

3.48/5  rDev +7.1%

A - Poured out a clear, fizzy, auburn color with a bubbly, foamy, white, two-finger head. It left minor trails of lace.

S - It smelled of caramel malt, grains and barley. It had a very subtle floral aroma.

T - It tasted of sweet caramel malt. It wasn't overly sweet but it was good. It had a slight bitter hop kick.

M - It was crisp, sharp and a little fizzy. A light bodied lager.

D - This is a nice solid, sessionable lager.

3.48/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

One of the beers that I used to hunt back when regionals were the white whales of the day. Schell was the brewery that made it clear to me that there were better beers than BMC to be found.

A -- Pours a clear, very pale straw yellow color with a sudsy white head that settles pretty quickly.

S -- Fresh-type DMS, grainy malts, some mild citrus esters.

T -- Initial sip was unremarkable, didn't think I could really taste anything. Then the grainy malts came thru with some of that light citrus character. The finish was mildly bitter and lingered into the aftertaste. There was nothing off in character, no bad carb bite or syrupy adjunct sweetness, very smooth.

M -- Light body with a crisp mouthfeel.

O -- This is a nostalgic beer in the sense that it's probably the same as it was from the 1950s to now. I can remember drinking beers like this on Northwoods vacations back in the 70s and it conjures good memories. It's not a good craft lager, but it's a few notches above the typical macro brew -- it even out-performs Leinekugel's original at its own game. A good throwback regional.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours a clear pale straw color. The head is half an inch in height, and recedes quickly into nothing. The bready malt with soft hints of caramel. The taste is like the aroma. Malty and straight forward. The bodied is a little fuller than light bodied with appropriately high carbonation. Overall, this is a pretty good American Lager. I could drink this again on a hot day.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Color is a clearish golden yellow, very thin white head fizzed away super fast as it poured. Smell is all sweet fruity malts, very close to a white wine fruity likeness in the aroma, late notes of popcorn as it warms. Taste is smooth, crisp, mostly malts of light fruityness and grain, over quite quickly with a light creamy feel with a light fizzy carbonation and just a touch of hops carries over in the swallow. End is lightly crisp and dry. Nothing heavy here, its all about the light drinkin' and easy-goin'-down-smoothability. Which it has alot of. Its just a bit boring on the palette, basic, run of the mill, slightly-better-then-macro beer. Perhaps with a little help in the longer lasting taste dept., this could be a very good Munich Lager style brew.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The label proudly proclaims "'Deer Brand' original beer" with no mention of the actual style. I've heard of near beer, but never deer beer. Venison-flavored perhaps?

Mildly hazy, soft lemon-gold with a modest number of tiny floaters swimming amidst the fine carbonation. The head is small, off-white and falls to a thin film rather quickly. I've seen higher quality heads on some macros. The nose is nice though; not a hint of skunkiness, adjuncts or off-aromas. It's mostly lightly toasted grain, but is pleasant for all that.

The flavor is mildly enjoyable as well and is sweeter than most Munich Helles Lagers. It's softly malty, and therefore almost wheat beer-like, and has a nearly nonexistent hop profile. Thankfully, there's no hint of venison. Even though this is not great beer by any stretch of the imagination, neither does it have any serious faults. The body could be more full, but it's a pretty drinkable offering and might even be considered a sessionable one.

Schell Original is a decent effort. I'll be on the lookout for more of their beer.

Schell's Deer Brand from August Schell Brewing Company