Schell's Pale Ale - August Schell Brewing Company

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.75% ABV

Beer added by: budgood1 on 12-03-2002

replaced by Hopfenmalz
1.82/5  rDev -49.7%

The little label-text for this beer begins, "Pale ale is far from a traditional German style..." or something like that. Basically, it reads like an admission of guilt, or at least "hey we gave it a shot" subtext. Out it comes, a strange washed-out pumkin color with a thin layer of off-white bubbles. The nose is very faint and of herbal hops.

The taste is completely overwhelmed by biscuity malt,but distinct vegetal and metallic off flavors forge through. I can taste evidence of old hops, but hardly what I'd call "hop flavor". Pale Ale may be far from a traditional German style, but this is far from a Pale Ale, in any country. Drain-pour. (648 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -39.8%

Maybe the sampler my friend bought is bad? I tried this beer and their Pilsener they are a bit funky. Not really good at all. I thought the Pale ale tasted more like an American swill lager... Not like any Pale Ale I have ever tried. It did have a decent malty backbone, but the flavors imparted by the malt were bland at best. Where are the hops. This is an APA and I expect a decent amount of hops. I was totally disappointed in this beer and I am hesitant to buy any of their other brews after my experience. They are a local brewer and I wish they were worth supporting, but I'd rather drink Budweiser than this horrible crap. (630 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -32.9%

12 oz bottle.

Crystal clear yellow...white head is somewhat fizzy and fades pretty quick.
Faint smell of grainy pale malts. Did they forget to put hops in the mix? I can taste only a light malt with a twinge of alcohol.. ugh. Very harsh mouthfeel..I truly can't believe this has this high of a rating, but to each his own. Not a pale ale I'd recommend, that's for sure. (373 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -31.5%

Should be noted: I am uncertain about the freshness of this bottle

poured a murky caramel color with a big white head with big bubbles. lots of lacing, good retention.

smell: floral, hops, some citrus

taste: not wild about it...definitely has a unique character and some will like this, but it's not my thing. light mouthfeel. initial taste has subtle hint of grapefruit...followed by and very much overpowered by a very sharp, very spicy, almost painful hop bitterness, which i do not appreciate lingering on my tongue. the aftertaste is still growing seconds after the drink, and in my opinion becomes almost chemical tasting. I normally enjoy a good bitter hop aftertaste but this is different than anything I have tasted and I do not like. The very light mouthfeel does not go well with the powerful aftertaste. I don't recommend.

PS: early fruit taste improved with slight warming, making the aftertaste contrast slightly less dramatic. (953 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Schell- Pale Ale

On tap at The Copper Stein- Terminal B Minneapolis Airport.

Appearance- light copper brown with no head.
Smell- light skunky malt with a macro adjunct hay/ straw/ corn aroma.
Taste- like it smells skunky malt with a cheap corn/ syrup blend.
Mouthfeel- sweet at first followed by a light syrupy sourness.

Overall- I think it turned. This is skunky bad, not horrible but I drank half and gave up! (423 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -26.8%

I thought this beer entirely too malty and not hoppy enough to be a good APA. Its considerable maltiness (like an amber) and its anemic hoppiness lead me to a pretty marginal rating. Given a very strong field of APAs, I must admit this is one of the weaker ones I've had recently.

There was some sort of date code on my bottle, but its white ink was so badly smeared I could not read it.

The beer pours a somewhat dull reddish color, with a good amount of head. Aroma is of caramel malt, with some slight Cascade-hop aroma. Taste is almost entirely malt. It is extremely malty in the nose, and there is barely a hint of citrus in the finish. Mouthfeel is OK. (664 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -25.4%

Thank you to Maximum12 for sending me this beer in the Secret Santa '08 BIF. Served this slightly chilled, in a pint glass, from a twelve ounce bottle.

Appearance: Schell Pale Ale pours out a yellowish golden color that is completely clear. A somewhat vigorous pour gave about a finger of fluffy, bone white head. Head faded quickly, but left some spotty white lace behind after each sip.

Smell: Nose is full of grainy malt aromas. Slight hints of the East Kent Goldings hops. Has a earthy yeasty aroma to it. Touches of citrus fruits in the background.

Taste: Taste seems a bit rough at first. Malty, with a bitter, chemical like hoppiness. A bit sweet as well with an almost metallic flavor. Not a big fan so far.

Mouthfeel: Mouthfeel is medium bodied with plenty of fizzy carbonation. Quite crisp.

Drinkability: Another tough aspect of this beer. Just can't get past the tough bitterness. (898 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: A medium amber color with a very thin white head. The head was gone instantly. There is a light steady stream of carbonation rising to the top.

Smell: Very light on the nose. Grapefruit, lemon, and spices mae up the majority of the smells in this one. Nothing too stand out though.

Taste: Malty and bitter which is to be expected. Like the Pilsner I just had there is a metallic taste to it.

Mouthfeel/drinkability: Medium bodied and highly carbonated. It is dry like a wine. I was a bit disappointed in this one. (528 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -24.6%

Nice deep bronze color...1/4 inch creamy head...

Nose is more malt than hop....some toasted shredded caramel...some light fruity hop fragrance as well..

Body is medium to light...

Not a super flavorful beer....more subtle...the malt again leads...but then on the finish a real hit of bitter hops..not pleasant though...more of a "bad" bitter....

As I drink this I find I don't really care for it that much. An odd tasting pale ale in some regards....Summit blows this away...Barely passable.. (504 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -20.7%

Cheers to jjanega08 for another shot at Schell
Pours a clear amber with bubbles rising fast up the middle. A thick white head billows up and doesn't want to dissipate. Smell is a little adjunct grainy, with some pepper-spicy hops. That grain-like malt hits first and forms the backbone, followed by some watered down and sugar-added pineapple and grapefruit. Some slightly herbal hop characteristics crop up as the bitterness lingers on the tongue. No winner between the malt and hop battle, quite balanced if a little heavier than most in the style and slightly sweeter. Again a faintly metallic twang I noted in the Firebrick. Carbonation is fairly assertive, body thin-to-medium and a little sticky. Decent, but not the first in the style I'd reach for. (756 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -19.6%

Aroma: A hint of DMS and some citric hops.

Appearance: A nice copper glass with a bit of chill haze.

Flavor: Harsh metallic note at first sip, but it mellows to a firm hop presence. A bit earthy in the hops for me.

Mouthfeel: Firm carbonation bring outs a bit more of the bitter in the hops.

Overall Impression: A fair, if run of the mill Pale.
Big thanks to Chad for bringing some Schell beers back from Minnesota for us! (436 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -18.8%

The appearance is probably what I liked most about this beer. It was a pit deeper of an amber color than most PAs, with a small head that dissapated quickly. You could tell there was enough hops by smell to make this a PA, but there was a not so much sweet as a grainy type smell that really turned me off. That flavor also came through in the taste, especially at first, thought a more sweet flavor came through in the finish. Some pine, a little citrus, but mainly floral type hop flavor. The mouthfeel and drinkability were average. Not something I would want to drink a lot of in a row. (590 characters)

Poured this 12 oz. brown bottle into a Samuel Adams glass. Dated 8/30/08. The body was pale honey color. Head faded to a ring and stayed throughout.

Smell was fruity. Caramel. Mild.

Taste was well balanced and reflected the aromas. Mild bitterness countered the sweet caramel malts.

Mouthfeel was medium in body but it had a lingering zestiness. (349 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -16.6%

Appearance: Pours copper amber with a thin off white head rather unimpressive no lacing to be seen either.

Aroma: Slightly citrus in nature and sweet malt fruit tones derived by the ale yeast, a sort of bready character with an off metallic finish to it.

Taste: Unimpressed here an astringent blend of hops bitterness with the slight caramel flavor in the malt, just harsh and hard to swallow down this beer is not my flavor.

Mouthfeel: Thin and sharply carbonated summing this beer up as a solid one.

Drinkability: Can’t say I will ever buy this one again in fact I may just pass on the whole August Schell line of beers they are lacking in crucial areas this one mainly lacks in balance of flavors. (714 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -15.7%

Appearance: Pours a golden carmel and clear with a tan/ivory head.

Smell: Nice smell! A hop and citrus aroma with some sugary sweetness in the background.

Taste: Spicey and peppery. There is some malt sweetness that brings up the rear but no real hop presence. Kind of disappointing in that regard.

Mouthfeel: Light and watery. Not very good.

Drinkability: Easily drinkable but kind of disappointing overall. The appearance and smell set you up for great expectations but the taste and everything after that pretty much misses the mark. (551 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -14.6%

Pours an orange-amber color from the bottle with about two fingers of fluffy white head that leaves a touch of lacing. Smell is unremarkable with pine and a bit of breadiness most apparent. Taste is more of the same, though the piney hop flavor comes through stronger. There's also a metallic note that I tasted most when I started drinking. Mouthfeel is crisp and carbonated with a rather bitter aftertaste. Overall, this is an average pale (IPA? I can buy that), but I certainly didn't mind drinking it. (505 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Presentation: Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into a standard pint glass. The label depcits what I assume is the Schell brewery, ti is on every label in some manner. No clear freshness date.

Appearance: Pours with 3/4 inch of off white head. Settles slowly itno a thin layer of foam, leavinglots of lacing. The beer itself is amber. Clear, but with lots of suspended sediment.

Smell: Sligth aroma of piney hops, but not very strong.

Taste: Spicy hop flavor upfront with a bitter/citrus finish.

Mouthfeel: Average carbonation level. Mouthfeel is good.

Drinkability: I like it. Good full flavored beer with enough hops, but not a hop bomb. The suspended sediment ditracts form the overall enjoyment. Doesn't really bother me, but not something I expect to see in a fresh pale ale. Maybe a 5 year old Belgian, but not this style. (842 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -13.8%

I decided to give their Pale Ale a try.

While it's supposedly "steeped in German heritage"--which seems a bit odd for an English style--it can definitely be described as an American pale ale. It has more body than I expected and an East Kent Golding dry finish, which is rather pronounced. While perhaps a little thinner than most locally brewed versions, it's actually not too bad--in fact, it's surprisingly tasty--and fair representation of the style.

I'm curious to try a few more of their efforts. (505 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -13.5%

The beer looked great in the glass. Had a nice deep clear amber color with a perfect thick off-white head and a moderate carbonation.

The smell is good as well, but it is nothing mindblowing from a pale. Has a bit of a floral hop and a gentle caramel malt aroma to it, but smells like it might be a bit soapy.

The taste is almost unpleasant. There is a metallic taste to the hops. The hops overwhelm the malts as well, though not overly bitter. This is not a well balanced pale. It is not very refreshing either.

I was looking forward to finally trying a beer from Schell, even though they've been available to me for quite some time. After this, I'm almost skeptical to try others. (691 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -12.7%

Appearance: Pours an orangey-copper body with a lush, frothy white head. Very nice lookin'.

Smell: Pale maltiness with a hint of day-old breadcrusts, watered-down citrus, and a faint buttery note.

Taste: Pale malts with a slight, toasty breadiness. Thin measure of sweetness. Thinned down taste of citrus. Tiny hint of butter. It's as though they took a potentially pleasant taste and cut it with water. Rats.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Medium carbonation. Very watery.

Drinkability: They blew it. And things had started off so well, too. (544 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -12.2%

When I toured the brewery a few years ago, the director told us they wanted to call it "German Pale Ale," but the gummint wouldn’t let them put a non-existent style on the label. So the label said "Garman Style" Pale Ale. And what does Schell make that isn’t German style? Pours a lighter coppery brown, thin head. Smell is indeed a bit more English than German. Interesting blend of English and German tatstes, as promised. Lighter in hop load than a "normal" APA would be, but a well-executed hybrid style. (510 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -12.2%

A 12 oz bottle from a trade with DarkerTheBetter.

A: The ale is a pale amber color, a brighter orange color that is clouded by sediment. A two finger head sat atop the beer on pour and has laced nicely.

S: The nose is all malt, grainy with a touch of buttery note that is ringwood-esque. Some floral fruitiness also emerges.

T: The taste matches the floral (non-hoppy) flavors from the nose. A touch of hops is present to add some needed bite. The ale is nothing to get excited about.

M: The mouthfeel is dominated by the grains, full of bready flavors.

D: A good sessioner with the moderate abv but it's nothing to get excited about. The flavor profile is that of an APA, not an IPA. (689 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -11.6%

A-Basically a heavy golden transparent body with a ring-a-round the outter glass white-ish head.
S-Slightly caramel and toasted notes detected with a faint hop presence.
T-Sweet and pleasant on the uptake with lasting hopped finish.
M-Thicker/ higher gravity on the intake with a tingled dry lasting aftertaste.
D-This beer is drinkable, but not for me because it's overly average. (381 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -11.3%

Pours a nice ruby red color. However, no head, no lacing, it was not the glass, I tried two seperate bottles. Had a very inviting nutty-toasty malt aroma. Kent Goldings are very predominant. Has a burnt caramel taste, that finished dry. Long carbonation, it lasted the entire session. This is acceptable for a pale ale, but I have had better ones, and even my homebrew pale ale was better in my opinion. (403 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -11.3%

Purchased as part of a mixed six pack. The bottle says Pale Ale, its listed as an IPA, which I will rate it as such. Date stamp on bottle of 060908.

Appearance: Poured into a pint glass a clear, light orangey, copper color. My vigorous pour produced a thick white head, about one and a half inches in height. Head stuck around for a long time, settling to a thick cover half way through.

Smell: As is typical for the style the hop-related aromas come through. Floral hop scents, a touch piney as it warms.

Taste: A bit of a caramelly malt backing, with a decent hop bitterness. Not as hoppy as I would hope for for in an IPA though.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium in body and well carbonated. Finishes clean (low hoppy aftertaste) and a little dry.

Drinkability: My first beer in a mixed 6 pack that I bought. I believe Schell is fairly new to Nebraska, I just noticed this about a month ago. A decent beer, easy to drink for an IPA, I usually like my IPA's a bit more hoppy than this though. (993 characters)

Schell's Pale Ale from August Schell Brewing Company