Schell's Shocked Radler - August Schell Brewing Company

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: mothman on 08-01-2012

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
3.39/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Interesting to try this the day after having the Grapefruit Sculpin. Whereas the grapefruit flavors in the sculpin are very fresh this Radler seems more sweet, artificial and soda-like. The flavor itself is still enjoyable but uncomplicated. Soda-like is the best way I can think to describe it.

2.17/5  rDev -36.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

Not my cup of tea. Tired of the radler beers. This one has strong grapefruit taste but otherwise a boring lager. But in all fairness I'm more of a dark beer guy.

4.39/5  rDev +28%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Tasted 7 September 2014. A warm day after a string of cool ones - just the right time to go back to summery radlers.

Pours a very pale almost-golden sunshine yellow. Two fingers of white head, surprisingly good retention for a beer like this, and decent lacing.

Smell is a fine mix of potent sweet and lightly bitter grapefruit and gentle lager aromas. I like it.

Taste is excellent. It's sweet - a touch sweeter than I'd like it to be. But it's a fantastic combination of sweet grapefruit soda and, hmm, anonymous beer. The beer is there, but only at maybe 1/3 strength. The rest is that delicious grapefruit, sweetened just a touch beyond where I'd like it.

Feel is excellent as well. Light body, tingly prickling carbonation. Everything is light light light and refreshing. Fades out quickly, leaving only a smooth aaahh in my mouth.

I really like this. Sure, it's more soda than beer. But the two pieces work together really well. Shockingly well, I might say.

3.75/5  rDev +9.3%

Finally! Got my hands on this one!

Appearance (3.75) : pours a 2 finger fluffy white head that recedes slowly and leaves lace. The head is stable and shave foam-like in its appearance. The body is a pale pear juice color with depth and opacity. I'm reminded of a quality Hefe when I look at it. Slightly hazy with a tad of sediment.

Aroma (3.75) : Grapefruit, 7up, wheat (upon deeper inhalation). The grapefruit is dead on with the sour and sweet mixture. Bouquet is medium strength.

Taste (3.75) : good. Kind of like a seasonal 7up or Sierra Mist, but its beer. The taste is sweet at first and then quickly turns tart as it drifts to the back of your tongue. It starts out light and seems to swell or bloom up into a fuller, creamier mouthfeel upon impact. It is tasty but is a sipper, as the taste is quite strong. A little bitter grapefruit hop appears at the end.

Mouthfeel (3.75) : Fizzy, slightly creamy. Ends fully creamy. Light bodied and swells or blooms into a medium body. Interesting.

Overall (3.75) : A good radler, worth a try.

3.25/5  rDev -5.2%

Coming out with a Radler other than just with lemonade to me is just genius. This beer pours rather good bright yellow with no haze. Smells mostly of sweet grapefruit (not as sour as I hoped) with mild malt base and residual sugars.

Taste is smooth and it goes down easy but it doesn't have much of a beer taste. More of a sweet alcoholic grapefruit soda. Body was super light and easy to chug.

Overall these guys make some pretty good beers and even though it was less bitter than Harpoon's version I kind of longed for more actual bitter grapefruit juice taste. Just average

3.51/5  rDev +2.3%

I've written a bunch of dumb crap lately about how surprisingly difficult it is to brew a good pre-made radler/sandy. To make my point, I will point to some badly made ones, and then hold them in contrast to the okay-to-good one I am reviewing. This will allow me to justify giving it a score higher than it's average, I figure, since all you plebs ain't approaching the beer from the same enlightened vantage point as me.

Trouble is, every goddamn brewer in the country released a radler this summer, and more than half of them were good. Even Coors Light's Summer Brew was totally okay.

So... I don't know. I just do not know. There might be some kind of artistry to these. Maybe it's just cheating. Don't know, don't care.

3.03/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours slightly hazed golden with a thin head.

The smell is of musty grapefruit soda.

The taste is of grain and grapefruit juice/soda.

Maybe more of a malty base would help this? Not much too it, on the fizzy side with a musty character that doesn't blend so well with the grapefruit character.

To be honest, I prefer Stiegl's version.

4.28/5  rDev +24.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Sampled last night on 5/23/14. Love the art work as the plane is a U.S. F6F 'Hellcat' that was used in the Pacific during WWII. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a handled glass stein.

Pours a light straw-yellow in color with no head and no lacing really to speak of. the aroma is of sweet citrus and malts. The taste is the same but with LOTS of red grapefruit taste coming through with the ale taste for the finish. Great taste and goes down very easy. Perfect carbonation for this type of brew. Really liked this summer seasonal.

2.69/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a 12 oz. brown bottle into a clear beer mug.

Appearance: Very pale yellow with light carbonation that leaves little or no white fizzy foam on top. No retention or lacing at all. Leaves a slight cap of white fizzy carbonation throughout.

Smell: Faintly sweet and malty. Not much grapefruit or hops going on in the aroma.

Taste: Very sweet and fruity with slight malty beer beneath it. No crisp grapefruit hops aroma or flavor at all. Not what I was expecting, it's far too tame and watered down.

Mouth feel: Watery, thin and just lightly carbonated.

Overall: I have had quite a few Austrian Radler's by Stiegl Brewing and Schofferhofer Grapefruit Hefeweizens over the years, and I was really hoping Schell's was trying to duplicate that, or maybe even go a bit bolder with flavors...but this rendition is far too sweet, watery and lacking in grapefruit bite to compare. This one just leaves me wanting to go get some Schofferhofer Grapefruit Hefeweizen instead.

4.26/5  rDev +24.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours a light straw-yellow that is almost completely clear. Small, 1 finger head forms and retains very well. Lacing is ok.

S- Light and fruity. Plenty of grapefruit is displayed in the smell along with a little lemony flavor.

T- Light and fruity, just like the scent. Starts with a big dose of grapefruit and moves toward a slightly grassy, lighter beer flavor at the end. Grapefruit is sweet, almost like a soda. The beer flavors on the back end shows just a little bit of grain and the tiniest bit of hops.

M- Light, highly carbonated, and very refreshing. This is my definition of a summer beer. Incredibly easy drinking; I could have a sixer of this while mowing the lawn.

Overall, a very refreshing, somewhat sweet, and pretty much delicious beer. The style is one that lends itself to refreshing summer drinking.

2.66/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.25

Appearance - A clear straw color. A normal pour yielded a 2 finger head which stuck around for awhile. Decent lacing.

Smell - Sweet Grapefruit. That is all I'm getting

Taste - This is very one dimensional. Puckering grapefruit. Very sweet. A hint of pale malt but I really have to search for it.

Mouthfeel - Thin body and low to medium carbonation.

Overall - The grapefruit is really overpowering in this beer. I like grapefruit, but this is hard to finish. If it had higher carbonation and less grape fruit / more malt - it could be good. Disappointing for something I had been looking forward to trying.

2.37/5  rDev -30.9%

Shocked Radler pours a bright straw color with a small non lacing head. There is a mellow grapefruit aroma. The taste is sweet, and fruity, lots of grapefruit, as it warms up the grapefruit gets overpowering. Very light flavors, yet the grapefruit still gets overpowering. refreshing, decent carbonation. Overall its a funky beer, light fruity, very refreshing, however its nearly undrinkable.

3.13/5  rDev -8.7%

16 oz can into a pint glass

Ap- pours a slightly hazy, very light yellow color with 1/2 inch head that doesn't stick around long

Ar- grapefruit definitely and maybe some other citrus notes, but really all I'm getting is grapefruit

T- very, very sweet, almost tastes like a wine cooler more than a beer, the grapefruit really only comes through at the end

M- sticky, very light bodied with decent carbonation

O- hmmm, not sure about this one. It would be super, super good on a really hot day on the lake, but I'm not really sure if I would want this any other time. Just too sweet and too much like a wine cooler for me. That being said it is very refreshing!

2.99/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

16-oz can into craft pint glass

A - 4-finger white head, transparent (slightly cloudy) body of straw yellow, moderate amount of carbonation

S - sweet pink grapefruit

T - sickly-sweet pink grapefruit, strongly resembles a soft drink

M - thick medium body, high carbonation

O - The cloying sweetness is a major drawback. I'd prefer a citrus soda to this.

3.94/5  rDev +14.9%

Pint can into a Gandhi-Bot tulip; thanks to mnbearsfan for this extra.

A: Clear pale straw body under a half-inch of frothy white head that settles quickly into a ring and leaves light, spotty lace. Average.

S: Quite sweet, with grapefruit essence minus the bitterness. Simple, to the point, and quite enjoyable.

T: Follows the nose - clean, sweet grapefruit dominates, along with some even sweeter citrus notes and some peach. The finish has a bit of citrus rind and bitterness, which is a pleasant counterpoint to the sweetness. Refreshing and enjoyable.

M: Light and frothy, verging into creamy as it progresses. Really nice.

O: Definitely not my favorite style, but this was quite good. The grapefruit is flavorful and well-balanced. Tasty stuff.

3.68/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this on tap at a good local burger joint and was a little disappointed. Was a light gold with terrific lacing. Smelled very sweet and citrusy. Taste was too sweet with no bite whatsoever.

Overall I wasn't impressed. Expected something more like Deschutes Chainbreaker and this doesn't touch that.

3.6/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Not a bad beer... kind if a letdown was expecting the crisp sour notes similar to stiegels radler...but then again this is higher % and uses natural fruit juice...the tastes is crisp and refreshing grapefruit aromas and flavs but its at the "almost" too sweet level.... definitely cant drink more than 3 myself...

3.84/5  rDev +12%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams "Perfect Pint" glass.

Appearance: Pours a bright and clear golden straw yellow with a lot of rising bubbles. Big four finger white head with decent retention. Leaves a lot of clingy lacing around the glass.

Smell: A very spritzy grapefruit forward aroma with some grainy pale malt. Big scent of grapefruit leaps out. Also some fruit hints of orange, apple, and berry. Pale malt with hints of grains, wheat, straw, and crackers. Some sugar adds to the sweetness. Very crisp smelling. Decent for what its going for.

Taste: Like it smells, a very crisp and spritzy grapefruit forward taste with some grainy malt notes. Big taste of grapefruit juice throughout along with some subtle notes of orange, berry, and apple. Sugary sweetness and mild tartness. Pale malt with notes of wheat, cereal grains, straw, and crackers. Light, very crisp, and decent tasting.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied with a fairly high amount of carbonation. Very crisp and fairly tart and juicy. Starts sweet and finishes fairly dry.

Overall: A decent summer quencher. Nice grapefruit flavor although there isn't much there besides the fruit and grain. First "Radler" I've had.

3.26/5  rDev -5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pretty tasty warm weather beer. You can tell it is pretty light bodied from the pour. Looks like a light lager.

Smells grainy. Sweet. Some grapefruit.

Starts off like a light beer and finishes with sweet grapefruit.

Thin on the palate. Fairly refreshing but perhaps just a bit on the sweet side. It makes it a bit of challange for me to finish.

3.15/5  rDev -8.2%

Serving glass: Poured from can into Weizen glass.

Appearance: Pale straw color with impressive foamy head, at least at first. The head disappears rather quickly, leaving little behind.

Smell: Apple, grapefruit, straw and pepper. Dry aroma.

Taste: The taste is much sweeter, borderline cloying. It tastes like a sweet apple cider with just a touch of grapefruit. Some pepper, straw and bitter grapefruit on the finish, but it is hard to escape the sweetness.

Feel: Light bodied with a finish that could use a serious dosage of dryness.

Overall: I was prepared to hate this beer, but still gve it a decent score because I have a bias against grapefruit. However, this isn't nearly as grapefruity as expected, as it veers off into sweet cider territory. It would have been better if I had hated it for tasting like grapefruit juice, as I would have accepted it as my own bias. Instead, I found sweet apple cider. If I was a big grapefruit fan, I would be pissed.

3.53/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured 16oz pint can into a pint glass

Appearance: Pale, yellow, light. Slightly fizzy.

Smell: Reminds me of a Ruby Red squirt mixed with alcohol. Grapefruit and sugar.

Taste: Sweet and sugary. Once again reminds me of a ruby red squirt.

Mouth feel: Much less carbonation than I was expecting. Slightly watery and mild carbonation.

Overall: I appreciate the attempt at creating a Stiegl style radler that actually contains sufficient alcohol (unlike Stiegl) but this is just average. Not too bad, but nothing special... Just like everything else Schell has to offer.

2.9/5  rDev -15.5%

Looks like a BMC light beer- pale fizzy yellow beer.

Grainy BMC light beer nose with a light yet syrupy grapefruit undertone. Pretty light smell.

The taste is like a light lager mixed with a grapefruit syrup. I know they did use real grapefruit juice and it does come through more in the end, but the sweetness is just too much for me and is presenting itself as artificial flavored syrup. Grapefruit peel on the finish with a little lingering bitterness.

Light, fizzy, dry finish from all of the grapefruit.

This is my first radler and probably my last. Like a Mike's Hard Lemonade really. My ratings reflect my thoughts, but taking into account style also which gives it a higher bump than if I just rated it on straight up opinion. I'm glad Schell's used real grapefruit instead of artificial, but it still has a fake corn syrup sweetness to it. Definitely not my style and if you're a radler fan, I would suggest it. If not, move along.

3.95/5  rDev +15.2%

Very pale straw color with just under a finger of head that settled quickly to a thin cap. Some spotty lacing is left down the glass.

Aroma is all grapefruit. Very similar to the aroma after cutting a grapefruit in half. Impressive natural aroma.

Mothman said it tasted like Ruby Red Squirt. That is spot on. Very little beer flavor left but there is some malt flavor that sneaks in the finish that lets the drinker know he is not drinking soda or some malt beverage concoction. Even leaves a grapefruit aftertaste.

I think this beer could of benefitted from a higher level of carbonation. Low for even a more conventional German lager. The body is light but does not finish really crisp.

Impressive Radler. Schell's produced a beer that is refreshing and not too sweet. I would not get tired of drinking this after a couple. I would like a little more beer flavor and more lively carbonation to put this solidly in the outstanding level.

4.05/5  rDev +18.1%

Clear pale gold, with a two finger white head, which slowly fades to one finger. Lots of bubbles streaming up from the bottom of the glass. The aroma has sweet grapefruit. It smells like a grapefruit soda such as Squirt or Fresca.

It tastes sweet like sweetened grapefruit juice. This might actually be sweeter than a soda. This is a nice beer for a warm summer's day.

Light bodied with soft carbonation. Smooth and easy to drink. Has a sweet grapefruit aftertaste. I had a good idea what to suspect when I bought this, so I am not surprised or disappointed. I like this for what it is. It's different, but I also think it's quite good.

3.79/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

First tried this beer at the minnesota state fair. Instantly became on of my favorite beers i have tried... been looking all over for this beer but found out it is only available on tap.

Pours light in color, some lace

Taste delicous, you get a mouth full of the grapefruit flavoring along with other characteristics that balance it out nicely.

Smells Sweet

Overall this beer is at the top of my list and i hope thye release in bottle/cans soon

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast