Schell's Shocked Radler - August Schell Brewing Company

August Schell Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.60% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: mothman on 08-01-2012)

3.04/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours slightly hazed golden with a thin head.

The smell is of musty grapefruit soda.

The taste is of grain and grapefruit juice/soda.

Maybe more of a malty base would help this? Not much too it, on the fizzy side with a musty character that doesn't blend so well with the grapefruit character.

To be honest, I prefer Stiegl's version.

3.38/5  rDev +0.6%

Don't know too much about this other than it is a massive grapefruit beer. I heard rumors that they are trying to get the abv up and put it in bottles.

Pint at old Chicago

Little white head with little retention. Color is a clear light pale yellow. Very clear!

This beer is hardcore grapefruit. It is hard to tell if this is a beer or some kind of wine cooler or mikes. It honesty tastes like ruby red squirt.

Mouthfeel: crisp and clean. Light bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Ends clean.

Overall, this beer was really ligt and easy to drink, especially after a long run. I don't know how much of it I would normally want, but on a hot day a bottle or two would be refreshing.

3.25/5  rDev -3.3%

Coming out with a Radler other than just with lemonade to me is just genius. This beer pours rather good bright yellow with no haze. Smells mostly of sweet grapefruit (not as sour as I hoped) with mild malt base and residual sugars.

Taste is smooth and it goes down easy but it doesn't have much of a beer taste. More of a sweet alcoholic grapefruit soda. Body was super light and easy to chug.

Overall these guys make some pretty good beers and even though it was less bitter than Harpoon's version I kind of longed for more actual bitter grapefruit juice taste. Just average

3.95/5  rDev +17.6%

Pint can into a Gandhi-Bot tulip; thanks to mnbearsfan for this extra.

A: Clear pale straw body under a half-inch of frothy white head that settles quickly into a ring and leaves light, spotty lace. Average.

S: Quite sweet, with grapefruit essence minus the bitterness. Simple, to the point, and quite enjoyable.

T: Follows the nose - clean, sweet grapefruit dominates, along with some even sweeter citrus notes and some peach. The finish has a bit of citrus rind and bitterness, which is a pleasant counterpoint to the sweetness. Refreshing and enjoyable.

M: Light and frothy, verging into creamy as it progresses. Really nice.

O: Definitely not my favorite style, but this was quite good. The grapefruit is flavorful and well-balanced. Tasty stuff.

Cheers!

3.51/5  rDev +4.5%

I've written a bunch of dumb crap lately about how surprisingly difficult it is to brew a good pre-made radler/sandy. To make my point, I will point to some badly made ones, and then hold them in contrast to the okay-to-good one I am reviewing. This will allow me to justify giving it a score higher than it's average, I figure, since all you plebs ain't approaching the beer from the same enlightened vantage point as me.

Trouble is, every goddamn brewer in the country released a radler this summer, and more than half of them were good. Even Coors Light's Summer Brew was totally okay.

So... I don't know. I just do not know. There might be some kind of artistry to these. Maybe it's just cheating. Don't know, don't care.

3.95/5  rDev +17.6%

Very pale straw color with just under a finger of head that settled quickly to a thin cap. Some spotty lacing is left down the glass.

Aroma is all grapefruit. Very similar to the aroma after cutting a grapefruit in half. Impressive natural aroma.

Mothman said it tasted like Ruby Red Squirt. That is spot on. Very little beer flavor left but there is some malt flavor that sneaks in the finish that lets the drinker know he is not drinking soda or some malt beverage concoction. Even leaves a grapefruit aftertaste.

I think this beer could of benefitted from a higher level of carbonation. Low for even a more conventional German lager. The body is light but does not finish really crisp.

Impressive Radler. Schell's produced a beer that is refreshing and not too sweet. I would not get tired of drinking this after a couple. I would like a little more beer flavor and more lively carbonation to put this solidly in the outstanding level.

2.89/5  rDev -14%

Looks like a BMC light beer- pale fizzy yellow beer.

Grainy BMC light beer nose with a light yet syrupy grapefruit undertone. Pretty light smell.

The taste is like a light lager mixed with a grapefruit syrup. I know they did use real grapefruit juice and it does come through more in the end, but the sweetness is just too much for me and is presenting itself as artificial flavored syrup. Grapefruit peel on the finish with a little lingering bitterness.

Light, fizzy, dry finish from all of the grapefruit.

This is my first radler and probably my last. Like a Mike's Hard Lemonade really. My ratings reflect my thoughts, but taking into account style also which gives it a higher bump than if I just rated it on straight up opinion. I'm glad Schell's used real grapefruit instead of artificial, but it still has a fake corn syrup sweetness to it. Definitely not my style and if you're a radler fan, I would suggest it. If not, move along.

3.63/5  rDev +8%

On tap at Veigel's Kaiserhoff in New Ulm.
Had a flat appearance with little head and looking mostly like an Am. lager. Golden body and mostly clear.
Grapefruit aroma with only a hint of the base lager.
A nice grapefruit flavor that wasn't too tart or too sweet, but more on the sweet than tart. Again the lager base was foundation and background. No real hop quality to discern.
Light body, but certainly with more of a lager quality than water. Smooth and on flatter side of carbonation.
I was surprised with how much I liked this. A nice easy drinking beverage that's soft on the beer qualities, but not without them. It went nice with the meal and was nice for a hot day. Good for lawn mowing and enjoying outdoors in hot weather when looking for the thirst quenching aspects of drinking.

3.84/5  rDev +14.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams "Perfect Pint" glass.

Appearance: Pours a bright and clear golden straw yellow with a lot of rising bubbles. Big four finger white head with decent retention. Leaves a lot of clingy lacing around the glass.

Smell: A very spritzy grapefruit forward aroma with some grainy pale malt. Big scent of grapefruit leaps out. Also some fruit hints of orange, apple, and berry. Pale malt with hints of grains, wheat, straw, and crackers. Some sugar adds to the sweetness. Very crisp smelling. Decent for what its going for.

Taste: Like it smells, a very crisp and spritzy grapefruit forward taste with some grainy malt notes. Big taste of grapefruit juice throughout along with some subtle notes of orange, berry, and apple. Sugary sweetness and mild tartness. Pale malt with notes of wheat, cereal grains, straw, and crackers. Light, very crisp, and decent tasting.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied with a fairly high amount of carbonation. Very crisp and fairly tart and juicy. Starts sweet and finishes fairly dry.

Overall: A decent summer quencher. Nice grapefruit flavor although there isn't much there besides the fruit and grain. First "Radler" I've had.

3.25/5  rDev -3.3%

4.25/5  rDev +26.5%

4.05/5  rDev +20.5%

Clear pale gold, with a two finger white head, which slowly fades to one finger. Lots of bubbles streaming up from the bottom of the glass. The aroma has sweet grapefruit. It smells like a grapefruit soda such as Squirt or Fresca.

It tastes sweet like sweetened grapefruit juice. This might actually be sweeter than a soda. This is a nice beer for a warm summer's day.

Light bodied with soft carbonation. Smooth and easy to drink. Has a sweet grapefruit aftertaste. I had a good idea what to suspect when I bought this, so I am not surprised or disappointed. I like this for what it is. It's different, but I also think it's quite good.

3.13/5  rDev -6.8%

Serving glass: Poured from can into Weizen glass.

Appearance: Pale straw color with impressive foamy head, at least at first. The head disappears rather quickly, leaving little behind.

Smell: Apple, grapefruit, straw and pepper. Dry aroma.

Taste: The taste is much sweeter, borderline cloying. It tastes like a sweet apple cider with just a touch of grapefruit. Some pepper, straw and bitter grapefruit on the finish, but it is hard to escape the sweetness.

Feel: Light bodied with a finish that could use a serious dosage of dryness.

Overall: I was prepared to hate this beer, but still gve it a decent score because I have a bias against grapefruit. However, this isn't nearly as grapefruity as expected, as it veers off into sweet cider territory. It would have been better if I had hated it for tasting like grapefruit juice, as I would have accepted it as my own bias. Instead, I found sweet apple cider. If I was a big grapefruit fan, I would be pissed.

4.4/5  rDev +31%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Tasted 7 September 2014. A warm day after a string of cool ones - just the right time to go back to summery radlers.

Pours a very pale almost-golden sunshine yellow. Two fingers of white head, surprisingly good retention for a beer like this, and decent lacing.

Smell is a fine mix of potent sweet and lightly bitter grapefruit and gentle lager aromas. I like it.

Taste is excellent. It's sweet - a touch sweeter than I'd like it to be. But it's a fantastic combination of sweet grapefruit soda and, hmm, anonymous beer. The beer is there, but only at maybe 1/3 strength. The rest is that delicious grapefruit, sweetened just a touch beyond where I'd like it.

Feel is excellent as well. Light body, tingly prickling carbonation. Everything is light light light and refreshing. Fades out quickly, leaving only a smooth aaahh in my mouth.

I really like this. Sure, it's more soda than beer. But the two pieces work together really well. Shockingly well, I might say.

Schell's Shocked Radler from August Schell Brewing Company