Schell's Goosetown Gose - August Schell Brewing Company

August Schell Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Gose |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: jera1350 on 04-05-2013

Schell's Goosetown is our interpretation of a traditional, German-style Gose. The beer pours clear, golden orange in color, with a thick white foam head. It has a bright lemon zest and coriander aroma with a slight saltiness reminiscent of a cool ocean breeze. A refreshingly light and citrusy tartness greets your palate, backed by a bready, wheat malt character and a touch of coriander spice. Lighter bodied, yet full flavored with a lively carbonation that gives the beer a crisp, dry finish. A uniquely refreshing session beer, perfectly suited for a warm summer day from the August Schell Brewing Company.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 192 | Reviews: 44

4.25/5  rDev +19.7%

3.35/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a brown longneck 12 oz. bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear amber color with a foamy white head that fades quickly but leaves a little sticky lacing behind. Nothing to special about the appearance.

Smell: Malt, spices and some light hops. Very minimal aroma.

Taste: An interesting flavor of lemony citrus with a slight salty finish. Tastes better when it is very cold, as the salt gets more prominent as the beer warms. Otherwise just a malty amber style beer with a lot of malt. The lemony citrus flavor is a nice touch. Not a fan of the saltiness.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with moderate carbonation

Overall: Not a style I like very much, but I appreciate the effort to bring a style like this to the masses. I would like to try it on tap or from a cask to see if it changes the flavor profile a little.

4.25/5  rDev +19.7%

3.09/5  rDev -13%
look: 1.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Goosetown Gose pours a copper color with very little head, no lacing. There is a sweet crisp malty aroma, but its rather weak. The taste has a nice crisp malty backbone, with hints of lemon and wheat. Flavors are present even though its a lighter beer, but its rather easy to drink. Overall a decent refreshing beer.

2.5/5  rDev -29.6%

2.91/5  rDev -18%

Pours a clean deep yellow color with a white head. In the aroma, coriander and some sweeter spices. In the taste, sweet cinnamon, coriander and sweet orange, and a touch malty. A spice bite and a lighter bodied mouthfeel, with a lightly dry light spice in the aftertaste. A bit sweet but light in flavor, eh!

3.85/5  rDev +8.5%

I have zero experience with the gose style. I've read about it, but I am not consulting those sources to see if I find this beer "to style." I'm just basing my review on whether I like the beer.
I do.

The appearance is clear and golden. I would guess that an authentic gose should be cloudy? So this it the kristal version. It pours with a billowy white head, but that disappeared pretty quickly.

The aroma comes across as bready, with something of a hefeweizen character that permeated my senses quickly and was less obvious after that. I cannot decide if some of the spice character I perceive is coriander or if it is all yeast derived (e.g., as a hefe). It seems subtly different than a hefe to me.

Initially, the hefeweizen character came through in the tastes, as well as some sweetness the malt. The saltiness is present in the finish and on the lips. As I become more familiar with the beer, the salt character seems more persistent. Always there to acknowledge, but never in an obtrusive way in my opinion. As I drain the beer, the sweetness starts to be a little candy-like and slightly cloying

This is a pleasant beer. I find it interesting enough to savor slowly. I only picked up one bottle as part of a mix pack; I am not sure I would want to drink two in a row because of the sweetenss, although I think the sweetness and slariness could be interesting in combinations with foods. I am remembering that goses are typically sour, and maybe that would help this beer. Or maybe even a grist that leaves the beer a bit dryer.
EDIT: Ah yes! Gose has lacto sourness, which is lacking here. But I still like it and am not readjusting scores. I suppose if I tried to score it to style, taste would be docked for this reason.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Schell's Goosetown Gose from August Schell Brewing Company