Good Juju (Ginger Ale) | Left Hand Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |

Good Juju (Ginger Ale)Good Juju (Ginger Ale)

Left Hand Brewing Company
Colorado, United States | website

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-27-2001

Reviews: 413 | Ratings: 1,229
3.68/5  rDev +7.9%

12oz. Brown Bottle; bottled 12/28/2007
A: Not a touch of cloudiness in this golden yellow beer. It's white head that does not linger too long.
S: Ginger, pumpkin, and faint grassy hops, in that order.
T: A decent amount of carbonation up front eventually yields to the predominant ginger with nutmeg and clove finishers. The sweetness is in the form of peach. Nice crisp and clean finish.
M: Light bodied.

This is a great summer beer. Ginger can be offensive when used in extremes (think of those little pink slivers they give you with sushi), but this beer doesn't over do it. A unique, refreshing break from your typical.

3.16/5  rDev -7.3%

Juju delivers a fairly light, ginger spiced, pale ale. Orange-gold in color with a decent sized white head. Sweet ginger in the nose with some spicy hops and light citric oranges. Much of the same in the taste, with a light body and light carbonation. Not bad in the least, but not really my thing either. One is probably enough for me.

3.5/5  rDev +2.6%

12 ounce bottle. The beer pours a hazy gold/orange color with about an inch and a half white head. Head retention and lacing are both OK. Aroma is mainly ginger, with some orange, apple and hops noticable too. Taste is also mostly ginger, but I can also taste some lemon, grains and hops. Mouthfeel/body is light, with average carbonation. Drinkability is decent, it's easy to drink but with the ginger I don't think I could drink more than 2-3 of these at a time. Overall I think this is a good, drinkable brew. I'd probably enjoy this more on a hot day, but it's still good on a cold day as well.

3.6/5  rDev +5.6%

A - Slightly hazy dark golden colour with a centimetre of white head that quickly falls away.
S - Ginger & clove spiciness. A bit of malt.
T - Lighter ginger spiced ales tend to be unbalanced. This one is fairly decent. The ginger is obvious but is balanced with some nutty maltiness & grassy hop notes.
M - Medium bodied with pretty high & crisp carbonation.
D - Probably the best Ginger spiced ale I've had. Not something I'd drink often but I also wouldn't turn one down.

1.76/5  rDev -48.4%

All over the board on this one, I like the appearance. Nice head that actually retains well on top of a yellow unattractive beer. Aroma is not real present as it has a sweet ginger nose. Taste is lost, Ginger comes through, but I don't like the profile of spices with the ginger. Mouthfeel is creamy and chewy, pretty good considering the appearance of this beer, I probably won't be buying this one again as it came in a mixed pack and I used the second one for cooking (better for that).

3.45/5  rDev +1.2%

Golden yellow and frothy head with fair retention, nice lacing. Smells of ginger, freshly mowed grass and a hint of chamomile. Taste is a little thin with hints of ginger, chamomile and orange pico tea. Mouthfeel is good albeit a little thin, almost seems slightly flat. This would make a good summmer refresher/session beer however the various flavors coming through seem a little unfocused.

Date on bottle is smeared but appears to be 8/10/07. Purchased 11/22/07, today is 01/16/08. It may be just a tad on the flat side...I dunno....maybe not.

3.72/5  rDev +9.1%

Served from a bottle in a pint glass. Clear, straw yellow color with a little bit of a white head. Aroma is overwhelmingly ginger. The taste is like no beer I've ever tried. Powerful ginger flavor; little bit like a cross between a cough drop and a Chinese stir fry. Little hint of hops in the aftertaste, but fairly thin once you get past the ginger. Probably a better summer beer than one for a cold January, but a nice change from the usual beer styles.

3.52/5  rDev +3.2%

(T 01-08 BB 06-08)

Pale yellow brew, not much of a head.
Ginger all over, very fruity with raisins, peach and lots of ripe fruits. Somewhere there is a aroma I can't describe, but it is very familiar.
Neutral base taste, but almost every aroma I mentioned earlier returns in the taste.
Light body, not much of an aftertaste.
Marvelous aroma, but it can't keep that promise. Not a bad beer, but I would not care for another now. Maybe next month, since I have two more of these.

3.87/5  rDev +13.5%

12oz bottle with a bottled on date of 8/19/07. It pours a rich golden color with bronze overtones. It has a sticky white head with decent retention.

Ginger dominated the aroma of course, along with notes of citrus and other more ambiguous spices. Ginger is also the predominant element in the flavor profile, accompanied by bright citrus fruitiness, along with understated malt, some berry, and a slight nutty hoppiness on the finish, as along with that piquant ginger sizzle.

It's light-bodied and displays some decent complexity. It possesses ample carbonation and is bright and lively on the tongue. It's very drinkable and refreshing. It's very solid for the style.

2.67/5  rDev -21.7%

A- pours a pale yellow with a slight dark golden hue. White head that leaves rather quickly.

S- Slight sweetness, almost candi sugar, with a hint of soap.

T- Mild ginger tones. Slightly metallic. Sweetness tastes almost of honey, but the metallic kept bothering me.

M- Feels odd to the palate. Watery feel, but leave you wanting another sip to try to analyze this beer.

D- it is drinkable , but its flavors are all over the board. Try it if you like to try off the wall brews.

3.97/5  rDev +16.4%

A- Golden yellow color, semi-clear, thin white lacy head

S- Ginger, apples, hops, cinnamon, nuts, slightly floral smell

T- Mostly ginger, mild hops, apples, lemons, grains, sweet

M- Medium body, medium carbonation, creamy, clean but lingering after taste

D- Very drinkable

I wasn't quite sure what to expect w/ this beer but I actually like it. Definatly the first time I've ever had a beer that tasted anything like this. Actually doesn't taste like much of a beer at all.

3.21/5  rDev -5.9%

Poured into a pub glass.

Appearance: Pours a golden straw color with a half-inch of white head. When held up to the light, the translucent brew glows orange. There is plenty of carbonation present, as there are plenty of bubbles rising to the top of this brew.

Smell: Ginger, as expected, is the defining characteristic. There is also a tinge of malty sweetness below the ginger as well. Nothing complicated, but it smells like what is advertised.

Taste: It begins with a splash of sweet ginger taste, which spreads all over my palette. It then gives way to a crisp, grain finish that tends to cleanse the palette. There aren't really any notable hop qualities here. It pairs well with spicy foods and seafood. I had this with sushi at a beer tasting party, and it performed well in that environment.

Mouthfeel: Light and very carbonated. I feel that the carbonation is a little over done, but nothing offensive.

Drinkability: These are light, and have a delicate, non-complex flavor, so it would be quite easy to knock back a few of these. The ginger taste may be a bit much for some, but I like it well enough.

An interesting change of pace. It's best paired with a food, as it was seemingly brewed for that purpose. It's worth a try if you get the chance.

3.21/5  rDev -5.9%

330ml bottle bought from GapWines, Belfast...

Poured a light golden straw colour. Creamy head poured tight, thick and foamy then faded slowly to good thickish coating. Barely any carbonation... fair amount of thick sticky lacing...

Aroma - Pretty strong fresh ginger spiciness - maybe slightly sickly, some quite sweet nuttiness, spicy fruits (apples, lemons, limes), the faintest of tobacco hints, light floral honey, some yeasty notes, hard to make out any malts or hops...

Taste - Light biscuity malts mixed with fresh ginger, obvious ginger ale notes, faint toastiness, spicy fruits (apples, pears, lemons), faint mint traces, grassy, some saltiness, some sweetness - but not as sweet as the aromas indicated, peppery hop bitterness just coming through the ginger...

Feel - Sharp initially then smooths out.. light body... pretty refreshing and drinkable if you like ginger - thankfully i do although it's not something i would want to drink to much of..

Overall - A decent enough brew if you like ginger.... worth a try..

3.53/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a deep dark golden yellow color with a sticky white head that leaves a pretty decent amount of lacing around the edge of the glass. You can definitely pick up some ginger in the nose along with some slightly buttery malt. The taste is malt up front with the ginger lingering in the finish with a dry and slightly spicy finish. Overall, this is a pretty straightforward brew that is not overly exiting. However, despite its simplicity I did enjoy drinking it. Not something I would like to drink ever night, but it is something different that gets extra points in my book. Recommended.

3.95/5  rDev +15.8%

I was curious about this beer when we got it at work. This was my first beer from Left Hand, and I must say that I was overall impressed by the beer.

The bottle was cooled a good 48 hours in the fridge, then side poured into a standard Pint glass.

The straw to yellow color was as expected. Nice bubbles with minimal head. Pleasant on the nose with no major smells - slight ginger aroma.

To me, it tasted like Red Stripe on tap, with a definite hint of ginger. I was able to drink three of the four pack that evening, and would have had the fourth but I'd given it to a friend.

This is a great summer beer and I think that it would go great with a salad, pacific rim dishes/sushi and, of course, Island Cuisine.

3.35/5  rDev -1.8%

Purchased one bottle as part of a mixed 6 pack.

Appearance: Poured into a pint glass the beer is dark gold in color. My pour produced a nice white head, about 1/2 inch in height. Settled surprisingly quick and left little lacing.

Smell: Not surprising here is ginger. There are some other spices as well (nutmeg?) with some grainy malt. Nothing hop related, although I did not anticipate there would be.

Taste: Spicy, with the prerequisite ginger. A little malty with no hop bitterness. I guess this about what I would expect for a spiced beer.

Mouthfeel: Lighter in body (lighter than expected) with a decent amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: Not knowing what to expect when I threw this in the mixed 6. I would say it is ok. I would not go out of my way for it again, though. An interesting beer, but not a repurchase.

3.3/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: fairly light in color, golden. clear.

Smell: Light, clean aroma, with ginger in the background - not as intense as I was expecting.

Taste: Ginger bite, ginger flavor, followed by.... nothing, a weak, watery finish. No hops flavor or bitterness to follow up on the ginger, no real malt character. Refreshing, I suppose, but left me wanting more flavor besides the ginger.

Mouthfeel: light-ish body, good carbonation

Drinkability: A fun idea, and more drinkable, perhaps, than SA's attempt at a ginger beer, but not something worth buying again.

3.25/5  rDev -4.7%

Serving Type: Standard 12 oz bottle

Appearance: Pours a off gold colour w/ a 2 finger head that dissipates quickly w/ some lacing left behind

Smell: Ginger, a touch of spice and something slighty sweet at the beginning. Caramel perhaps

Taste: This taste like a light ale that has a touch of ginger. It is not overpowering like some beers that go this route(ginger being the theme of this one)

Mouthfeel: Light, crisp and a touch carbonated. A touch to fizzy for my personal taste

Drinkability: A touch to heavy on the carbonation but the ginger is quite refreshing. Very light beer that is enjoyable on a hot day

1.36/5  rDev -60.1%

Definitely not a beer for me. The mouthfeel and taste were that of wet, moldy grass. Ginger is barely present over the over powering disturbing and bad herbal taste.

I couldn't even finish the beer. Highly recommend you avoid this one, which is disappointing given the normally excellent Left Hand selections.

2.61/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

355ml served chilled in a La Chouffe tulip

Pours with a light amber body, lots of bubbles emanating from the bottom of the glass. Thick puffy white head with good retention, forms about half an inch thick but settles to a modest dense whisp. Lots of patchy lacing

Smell, fresh and pickled ginger, galangal and a touch of aniseed. Slightly spicy on the nose, some thin bready malt in the background and a tiny alcoholic aroma

Taste, crisp and biscuity malt followed by tonnes of fresh ginger flavours. Gingerbread and some slightly metallic malt character on the finish. Some identifiable hop character, some citric hop flavour and sweet malt

I have to admit that ginger is one of the few flavours that I've not fond of in food or beverages, subtle ginger flavours backed up by garlic or a strongly flavoured main ingredient are fine but if the dominant flavour is of ginger I'm generally put off. Thus this beer seriously doesn't do it for me, tthe myriad of various strong ginger flavours put me off therefore I didn't enjoy this. If you are a ginger fan especially a fan of non-alcoholic ginger ale then you'll probably go for this, but not me...

3.52/5  rDev +3.2%

A - Pours with a large, creamy white head and a golden orange color. Clarity was good, but the second half of the bottle had some wisps of yeast that contributed a dense haze, but no chunks.

S - Strong fresh ginger aroma with slight grassy hops and a bit of caramel malt.

T - Distinct ginger flavor backed with herbal hops and moderate bitterness. The finish is clean without any real lingering flavor.

M - Light, smooth texture with moderate to high carbonation. There is just a little bit of astrengency present.

D - This beer is light and fairly easy to drink with a strong ginger character, but I can't say I really enjoy it. The problem for me here is the type of ginger character; the aroma it good but the flavor is too medicinal and lacks depth. There is none of the spicy, flavorfull ginger that I have occasionally experianced in some other beers. A bit more malt sweetness to balance out the ginger and hops would really help here.

3.82/5  rDev +12%

I suppose you have to really enjoy the flavour of ginger to enjoy this beer. Being that I do, I really liked this. It poured up a clear orange red colour with a pretty nice looking white, soapy head. Not bad.
Obviously, there is ginger present here, but it isn't nearly as powerfu as I was thinking it would be, which was a pleasant discovery. Too many beers in this category are "over-done" with incredibly assertive smells of what the beer is "supposed" to smell like. This was mild. I like. Taste is very "pale ale" like with the ginger showing up briefly and gently on the finish. Quite drinkable. Nice.

3.33/5  rDev -2.3%

IRIE!!

AP: big carbonation, fast and furious bubbles racing to the top to form a tight but bubbly white head 1/2" deep.

nose: Major ginger, herbal and meaty scented wheat malt + yeast, mild and subtle...very subtle zesty, spicey hop.

Flavor & Feel: Very light and crisp wheat malt with ginger taking over and a hearty, herbal yeast and subtle green- leafy hop underneath. Overall: Taste's much like a hefe-weizen ginger snap.

DA: ginger is really good for you mon, Rastafari!

3.84/5  rDev +12.6%

Pours a pleasant dark golden color, nice lacing and heavy carbonation. Smell is a little weak, but the ginger does come through.

This has a strong wheat base to it which does come through and almost overtakes the ginger and spice which isn't quite as strong as I have had in other ginger beers. It does leave a pleasant not too gingery after taste and a nice crisp, refreshing mouthfeel.

I have to say this one of my favorite beers for the ABV. The first time I had a ginger beer, I was a bit skeptical but it had quite a bite and really surprised me (it was a homebrew, and a bit over gingered). That experience made me a fan of gingers and this is a solid, refreshing example of the style. I'm glad I can get a constant supply of this over the summer.

3.53/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 fl oz brown bottle; served in a tumbler.
Bottled on 05.09.2007.

Tanned straw with a slight, chill haze. Half-inch, creamy white head with an enduring retention as an intact sheet. Patches of condensed lacing around half of the glass.

Slightly sweet honey, toasted malts; bright, citrus hop aroma. Lingering, ginger spice and saffron over a faint wheat-based mustiness.

Intense lemon-flavored hops that nearly overshadows a noble wheat base. The ginger-spice is clean and true in flavor; additional Asian spices add a nutty quality.

Light bodied; crisp, but a bit too carbonated.

An interesting summer offering; too heavy in citric hops and over-carbonated, but I enjoy the Asian spices for the novelty.

Good Juju (Ginger Ale) from Left Hand Brewing Company