Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Good Juju (Ginger Ale) - Left Hand Brewing Company

Good Juju (Ginger Ale)Good Juju (Ginger Ale)

Left Hand Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-27-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Good Juju (Ginger Ale) Alström Bros
Reviews: 408 | Hads: 1,207
3.6/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A - Very bright, clear copper. Quickly fading fizzy head. Leaves little lacing.

S - Mostly malt. The ginger is pretty subdued. Toffee, caramel.

T - Malt upfront then the ginger makes it's presence felt. Medicinal flavor, but the ginger isn't overdone.

M - Light body, high carb, finishes dry and the ginger lingers.

O - This is the second ginger beer I've ever had. The other was way too heavy on the ginger, this one balances it pretty well. I wouldn't seek try again, but it was nice to see what it was like.

3.82/5  rDev +12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: Beer poured a very clear light copper color. Good head that dissipated quickly. Good carb. Lots of bubbles streaming toward the top.

S: Malty breadiness and ginger spice. I actually really love the ginger spiciness when I get a nose on this beer. Awesome.

T: Some caramel malt notes that quickly are overpowered by strong ginger. A little floral hop profile, but mostly ginger. Crazy drinkability to this beer.

MF: Crisp and light. Not overcarbed but good enough. Leaves a dryness on the back of the palate that is refreshing.

O: I love ginger, and I commend Left Hand's usage of it in this beer. It's real good. Right now it is 80 degrees outside and I about chugged half the glass in a couple minutes. This beer is fantastic while in the recommended 40-45 degree range. Once it started warming up it started losing its pop. But I will say it is crazy drinkable in this weather.

3.5/5  rDev +2.6%

A-pours a soft copper color with a fizzy white head that fades rather quickly
S-ginger dominates with some sweet malt aroma in the background
T-More ginger, with some bitterness following and finishes dry
M-medium-light bodied with tight carbonation
O-drinks almost like a dry club soda with ginger. Very interesting brew and I honestly enjoyed that it wasn't complicated by a lot of other flavors or sweetness

3.02/5  rDev -11.4%

Perhaps a ginger beer is not my forte, as I'm not a big fan of ginger root even on sushi, but this seemed to have a weakness and one dimensionality that just didn't sell. The color was light and watery but presented a thick fluffy head. The aroma and taste were the same as ginger pervades with a watery herb twangy finish. Perhaps ginger beer is not my forte....oh yeah, I already said that.

3.83/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a beautiful clear orange with lots of bubbles that constantly find their way to the top. Thin head not much lace. Nose is authentic ginger. Crisp with a bite and an vivid scent. Maybe a bit fo hops on the nose to ffer some grass and herbal. Malt is a touch of dark brown sugar on a soft and light bread. Smells like a ginger snap cookie with a touch of vanilla. Taste is lovely. I love it. It's not an IPA. It does not drink like an IPA. It has a beaucoup ginger flavor on a beautiful light cracker. Touch of brown sugar,vanilla and a nice grass take you to a finish that is not dry but that has all kinds of ginger to tempt, to whet the appetite & to satisfy.

Perky, cheerful and just lovely.

3.73/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Poured from a bottle into a tumbler glass.

Appearance: Pours a light copper color with a minimal head that dissipates incredibly quick and leaves no lacing. (Maybe that's just a bad pour on my part?)

Smell: Very up front ginger aroma, but I also get hints of pumpkin and honey with some herbal hop aroma as well.

Taste: This beer goes through three stages. The initial gulp is very heavy on the ginger and quickly gets followed up by sweet, bready malt flavors. After swallowing is when the herbal, grassy hops show themselves on the sides of the tongue.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and light without being too thin or watery. Not too much carbonation, but it is a bit fizzier than I typically like.

Overall: Quite an enjoyable beer. It definitely deserves the right food pairing to go with it, though. I'm thinking I'll have a few with my next trip to my favorite Thai restaurant. With that being said, I can't see it being a staple in my refrigerator for the season. It will, however, be an interesting diversion from the same session ales I normally take to get togethers.

3.48/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Light amber color with 1/2 finger creamy head. Dissipates into nice ring with good lacing.

Smell: Big time ginger. Bready with super light piney and citrus hops underneath. Being a fan of ginger, this is really inviting to me.

Taste: The ginger is the star of this beer. Toast with super slight pine and citrus underneath. Flavor is actually pretty bland. Doesn't live up to the smell.

Mouthfeel: On the light side with light carbonation. Has a slight drying effect. Lingering ginger spiciness.

Overall: The smell made it worth it; otherwise, I was pretty uninterested. I doubt I'll have again.

2.76/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

A-Pours a clearer, yellow orange. Good, foamy head. Dies off a bit. Light lacing speckles.

S-Ginger definitely. The aroma really screams of it. I had some trouble pulling out much else.

T-Where is the sushi I am supposed to dip into this? Ginger is spicy and blatant. Could stand to see a bit more going in here.

M-Light, goes does easy enough. Prickly bubbles. I powered through it just to end its time with me.

O/D-Not a fan. I enjoy ginger with my sushi, as do I love me some ginger ale. Keep it away from my beer, though.

3.28/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I poured a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance- Clear golden-amber color with a fingers worth of head. Fair amount of lacing.

Smell- Ginger with a hint of malt.

Taste- Ginger flavor with a light amount of toasted malt.

Mouthfeel- Light bodied and crisp. Slightly above average amount of carbonation.

Overall- A grown-up ginger ale. Not bad but not something that I would try again.

3.7/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pure, simple, natural ingredients: rocky mountain water, malted barley hops, yeast and organic ginger. This beer tastes like ginger ale for grown-ups. It is more delicate than I expected, balancing the carbonation, malt and ginger to make it taste...quite honestly, more like a real soda that isn't too sweet. It's a very drinkable, refreshing summer beer if you like ginger ale.

3.31/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a perfect pint.

3.0 A: Clear medium yellow color. A little over one finger of fizzy white head. Retention is below average and just a wisp or two of lacing is left.

3.25 S: Pickled ginger and a light maltiness. That's about it. I love ginger, so smells good enough for me.

3.25 T: Taste is more of the same. Plenty of ginger and some neutral maltiness.

3.5 M: Light to lighter medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Moderately creamy and super smooth.

3.5 D: I will probably drink this more than my scores suggest. While it isn't a great beer overall, it has a lot of ginger in it, which is a flavor I can't get enough of.

3.49/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a crystal clear medium yellowish amber in color with some moderate amounts of visible carbonation and some orange highlights. The beer has a finger tall fizzy beige head that reduces to a medium sized patch of thicker film and a very thin film covering the remainder of the surface with a slight bit of mottling and a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Light amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of spicy ginger over the top of some lighter notes of toasted malts.

T: Upfront there are light flavors of biscuit malts with hints of toasted malts and just a touch of caramel sweetness. That is followed by an initially subtle but building to moderate flavor of ginger with hints of spiciness. Minimal amounts of bitterness are present in the finish which fade almost instantly.

M: Slightly heavier than light bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation. Slightly thin but still smooth.

O: This beer tastes a lot like real ginger ale (not the sweetened stuff like Canada Dry of Schweppes) with a very light amount of ginger spiciness but enough to be enjoyable. Easy to drink and refreshing with a low ABV - this would pair well with Asian foods and could be sessionable in the right pairing.

3.85/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Clear golden/amber. The white, small bubbled head retains well. Lacing is sparse and patchy.

S: Bread and grain with slight hints of caramel and toffee. Hops are oily and piney. Spicy ginger plays a supporting role.

T: Grainy malt base. Slight caramel and toffee. Bready. Hops are floral and lightly piney with a soft bitterness. Subtle hint of clementine. Ginger plays the supporting role perfectly, picking up toward the end and riding into the finish.

M: Lightish body. Creamy and smooth. Modest prickling carbonation accentuates the ginger just a bit more.

O: Pretty much a pale ale with ginger. The ginger is incorporated nicely, adding flavor without becoming overbearing. A refreshing quaff that really hit the spot on this hot and humid night.

3.75/5  rDev +10%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

poured from bottle into a pint glass after sweating my tail end off on my way home...

a: nice honey gold with a hint of amber. thin head that goes away quickly to thin lacing...

s: yep, ginger... and beer

t: really mild ginger taste on a refreshing lager. not as overwhelming as some other ginger beers I've tasted have been. Just a hint of nice bitter on the finish.

mf: light and bright. not super fizzy.

This is another pleasant surprise for the summer... I am a fan of ginger so I tend to pick up ginger beers/ales when I see them. Most of them tend to be of the novelty variety that no matter how much i might enjoy them, i never want more than one at a time... This one is different. I could drink this all the time. I spent most of my early beer drinking summers with a tecate and lime... this has the same refreshment with out the skunk.

3.72/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

This beer makes me want some sushi! Nothing much going beyond the pickled ginger flavor though.... If it's a hot day and you love the taste of ginger, then this guy is a really easy drinker, and at 4% it's an easily manageable session beer. If you don't like ginger, I'd stay away because you're not gonna find anything else to review from this beer.

3.47/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

From a 355 ml bottle into a pint glass.

A-The brew is light golden in color and clear. There is not much in the way of head and only a few bubbles of carbonation floating up. Not ugly, but nothing special, either.

S-Credit is due for the honest flavor of the ginger: it really smells like crystalized ginger, not some candy/synthetic ginger imitation. Unfortunately, there is not much else happening. The pale, lightly doughy malts do not do much and there is very little complexity.

T-The taste is like the smell in that I get a honest-to-goodness ginger flavor, but not much of a beer behind it. There is a bit of hoppy bitterness on the mid-palate, but the hops sort of compete with the ginger flavor and very little malt backbone.

M-The feel is light, pretty crisp, and readily drinkable with a few prickles of chunky carbonation. For the style of this beer the feel is actually pretty good.

O-There is not much going with this brew once you move past the ginger flavor. I understand that this is a warm-weather session-type beer, but the ginger is a bit cloying for all-day drinking and, regardless of the summertime intentions, I would like to see a bit more beer/malt backbone to support the surprisingly real ginger flavor here. Save this brew for the hottest dog days of summertime.

4.23/5  rDev +24%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A - Orange pour with good clarity. No lacing of note. Foam retention is minimal. Some carbonation.

S - The smell of ginger dominates this beer. There is some scent of light grains but this is a ginger lover's dream.

T - Fresh taste of ginger gives this brew a one note flavor, but one that is done so well that it is a standout. Very refreshing flavor. The ginger root stays on your palate and gives a spicy and sweet taste throughout.

M - Awesome beer for the summer, and easily one that could attract a non craft drinker. If the carbonation were higher I might think they just poured me a Seagram's Ginger Ale. Light tasting beer.

O - People will either love or hate this based on their preference for the spice. I thought this was a really interesting beer that does one thing, and does it very well.

3.68/5  rDev +7.9%

12 ounce bottle into signature pint glass, best before 9/7/2013. Pours lightly hazy golden amber color with a 1-2 finger fairly dense white head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Light foamy lacing clings on the glass. Aromas of lemon zest, ginger, honey, bread, floral, grass, light clove, light caramel, and herbal earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with good balance of ginger, hop, and malt notes; with good strength. Taste of lemon zest, ginger, honey, bread, floral, grass, light caramel, light clove, and herbal earthiness. Lingering notes of lemon zest, ginger, honey, bread, floral, light clove, and light caramel on the finish for a short bit. Nice balance of malt, ginger, and light hop flavors; with a fair amount of flavor robustness, and no cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and light-medium bodied; with a smooth and crisp mouthfeel that is good. Alcohol is very well hidden with no warming noticed after the finish as expected. Overall this is a nice spiced session beer. Good balance of malt, ginger, and hop flavors; and extremely smooth to drink. A nicely enjoyable offering.

3.99/5  rDev +17%

This may be light. This may be low in alcohol. This may be simple and just citrusy. But it surely is refreshing and tasty. This could be a great summertime session beer, much better than your run-of-the-mill lawnmower beer. Very fine flavors and superb drinkability. Great with food. I enjoyed this. Give it a try.

2.75/5  rDev -19.4%

Pours an orangish golden with a slight white head. Smell is pretty much straight up pickled ginger, like I what you get at a sushi bar. A touch of sweet malt is hiding out in there too though. Flavor follows suit, A crisp, active mouthfeel. Overall, the beer is bright, crisp and refreshing but you better love pickled ginger to dig this. Unfortunately for me, I don't like picked ginger.

3.04/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

You know, this is rated pretty low outside of Beeradvocate. But you know what? Although it's nothing to write home about, it's a decent beer. I only bought one bottle at a store where I usually buy a bunch of singles, but had I bought a 6-pack, I wouldn't be upset. I don't always have the best vocabulary when describing beers, but I can at least say that I'm not one to favor one style too much over another, and I've tried over a thousand different beers (although I've only rated a few), and this one doesn't belong at the bottom of the list; maybe just below the middle. Not bad.

3.87/5  rDev +13.5%

The beer pours a clear honey-golden color with almost no head or visible carbonation. The nose is spicy, profoundly gingery, with a touch of molasses-like sweetness. The taste is as expected with good malt sweetness playing off the ginger like a ginger snap. Unfortunately, this beer was severely undercarbonated and came across as being a bit too syrupy. It also lacked the ginger bite that I was expecting in the aftertaste. Overall, this beer is tasty, worth trying, probably pairs well with many spicy food options, but isn't a repeat.

3.63/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into a tulip. Best by 10/14/13.

A: Pours a clear amber with a one finger off white head. Lots of tiny bubbles visible in the body. No real lacing.

S: Ginger is very prevalent as soon as you pour the beer into a glass. A bit like a kitchen cleaner.

T: As anticiapted this has a load of ginger in it. There is some malt in the background that evens it out. Reminds me of a ginger chicken.

M: Light to medium body with a decent amount of carbonation. Fairly clean finish from the ginger. Easy drinking.

Overall very refreshing and a good summer beer. If youre not into ginger stay away but worth a try if youre into the flavor. Can only imagine pairing this with some Thai food.

3.68/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Type: 12-oz. bottle
Glass: Hotel glass (half pint, half snifter)
From: Wilbur’s Total Beverage in Fort Collins, Colo.
Price: Part of a variety 6-pack for $9.99
Purchased: May 2, 2013
Consumed: May 2, 2013
Misc.: Best by Sept. 18, 2013 (I think, tough to read on bottle)

Poured a copper orange clear color with 1-2 fingers of off-white head. Minimal lacing. Below average retention.

Smelled cough drops, ginger and Lemon Drops. Felt like I was sick, but this is a good smell!

Ginger dominates the taste, but that isn’t necessarily a bad thing. After ginger I still got cough drops, lemon and honey. Not ideal for a beer, but something different for sure. Felt like I was preventing myself from getting sick.

Light body. Thin texture. Soft carbonation. Long, cough suppressant, watery finish.

Probably the first Ginger-type beer I’ve tried, but I didn’t hate it. I’d probably try it again.

3.69/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A-Pours a pale orange color with a thin, carbonated white head and poor retention.

S-Ginger (obviously), ginseng, orange spices. Pretty up front

T-The ginger mellows out but comes in strong again in the back of the palate. Simple brew.

MF-Carbonated, crisp, and a dry finish

O-First time I've had the style and it's not too bad. A good, unique session beer

Good Juju (Ginger Ale) from Left Hand Brewing Company