Good Juju (Ginger Ale) - Left Hand Brewing Company

Good Juju (Ginger Ale)Good Juju (Ginger Ale)

Left Hand Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-27-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Good Juju (Ginger Ale) Alström Bros
Beaver13

2.3/5  rDev -31.8%

12 oz bottle. Pours a clear yellow gold with a small white head that quickly goes to a thin film that leaves a little lacing.

The aroma is wheaty malts, ginger and some lemon and pepper.

The flavor is sweet vegetal malts and ginger with a kind of skunky slightly bitter finish. The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with spritzy carbonation.

Overall, not very good in my opinion. The ginger is interesting but there are too many off-notes.

04-23-2010 23:54:14 | More by Beaver13
Mora2000

3.8/5  rDev +12.8%

The beer pours a golden-amber color with a white head. The aroma is strong ginger. It smells about like a batch of ginger snap cookies. The flavor is more of the same. This is liquid ginger snaps. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Not sure how often I would drink this, but I am glad I got to try it at least once since it is definitely different.

04-22-2010 21:00:26 | More by Mora2000
sedapuda

Maryland

3.45/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a light gold with nice white head that rudely disappears without saying goodbye. The aroma is incredible, though, with killer ginger up front and mild floral notes in the background. The taste is nothing to shout from the rooftops, but is exactly what this Thai chili stir-fry needed to battle the burn in my chest. Refreshing and zesty.

04-21-2010 04:06:54 | More by sedapuda
ocelot2500

Arizona

2.98/5  rDev -11.6%

Pours a clear orange golden color with a small white head that fades quickly and leaves some lacing on the glass.

Smells of light ginger and pale malts.

Tastes of a dash of ginger spiciness up front followed by a small amount of malt. Malt is lacking and there is little beyond the ginger.

Mouthfeel is thin and watery, carbonation is fizzy.

04-17-2010 00:46:13 | More by ocelot2500
travduke

3.28/5  rDev -2.7%

Appearance: Dark copper, 1 finger head that quickly dissipates. Decent lacing.

Aroma: Fruity, bready, ginger. Hops in the mix.

Taste: Ginger dominates. Some honey.

Feel/Drink: Thin mouth. I can only drink one of these guys, I really don't care for the taste.

04-15-2010 02:59:16 | More by travduke
allengarvin

3.6/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This beer has a pleasant bright-gold color and sports a small head. The aroma is light, fruity, with a modest amount of ginger. The taste is nothing special, but the ginger does add a nice refreshing quality to it. Other than that, clear sweet maltiness and lightly fruity at the finish. The mouthfeel texture is soft, medium-thin.

Drinkable enough, and a nice thirst-quencher. I can't see seeking it out, though.

04-11-2010 20:02:40 | More by allengarvin
silentjay

3.13/5  rDev -7.1%

pours clear, light orange with a big frothy white head that disappears quick and doesnt lace the glass too well.

some pepper ,definitely ginger, earthy, moldy, some hops too: tropical fruits. a bit of toasted and bready malt.

Tastes very strong of ginger, some honey. those two flavors pretty much dominate. some crisp hops, and very little malt detectable up front. malt sweetness shows itself in the aftertaste.

light bodied. carbonation is ok. finishes dry.

drinkability is fine. refreshing, you have to like ginger, though, to be able to enjoy it.

04-04-2010 00:52:17 | More by silentjay
tpd975

3.4/5  rDev +0.9%

On tap at Mellow Mushroom.

A: Pours a nice clear golden hue with a nice tall white head. Little retention with no real lace noted.

S: Aromas of fresh grated ginger, honey, and bready malt.

T: The ginger stands out without being too bold. Nice light honey malt sweetness, light floral notes as well.

M: Medium in body, smooth.

D: Just okay. I really wanted to like it, but it just didn't quite come together.

03-23-2010 22:08:40 | More by tpd975
GarrisWH

3.25/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle with the new 'Good Juju' name and the spiffy new label

A - Pours a crystal clear, golden color with a pretty minimal, white head that quickly drops down to a spotty cap.

S - Spicy ginger aroma blends with a bit of earthiness and sweet malt.

T - Somewhat spicy ginger character is backed up by some bready, grainy, pale malt flavor. Very light, earthy hops in the background. Finishes clean, leaving just a touch of ginger lingering into the aftertaste. The flavor (minus the ginger) reminds me of an adjunct lager, which detracts a bit.

M - Light to medium bodied with somewhat heavy carbonation.

D - I don't really know how I feel about this beer. It isn't offensive by any means, and the ginger flavors are fairly enjoyable. I just couldn't help feeling like I was drinking a BMC with ginger added, as the base beer just isn't that impressive. An interesting brew, but I probably won't be seeking it out again anytime soon.

03-21-2010 05:13:42 | More by GarrisWH
BARFLYB

2.85/5  rDev -15.4%

12oz bottle into a pint glass. I have not had this since July 4th 2005, I remember the date because i had it at Monk's Cafe and I was focusing on American beers, being patriotic.

A- JUJU splashes in the glass a light bronze color/dirty penny look with some haze within, it's not exactly clear. A very hard pour yielded a inch of beige/off white head that vsanished within a minute. Small islands of clumped lace scattered on the surface among loose fading bubbles. Poka-dot lacing.

S- The name does not lie, a whole bunch of ginger, that pretty much sums it up. A little malt sweetness hiding in there also. No sign of hops, they are drowned out completely by the ginger snaps. This is a fresh bottle so i'm sure they are in there.

T- Ginger on top of ginger with some sweet malt and a little bit of corn that I may be thinking in my head. At times I sense a Amber Ale so maybe that's the base beer before the addition of ginger, however Left Hand uses it, I don't know.

M- It's a little full tasting, I would say above medium. A big addition of ginger really takes over the mouth for a while, it's hard to get around. Carbon is at a point where it's noticed with a little prick, but not over steping bounds.

D- It's impossible to take anymore but small sips of this so drinkability suffers. Not a chugging or gulping beer. I enjoy the taste, it's not horrible, but it's overpowering. I would not mind having this around while i'm eating some sushi for small sips in between, along with another beverage of course. Too much ginger, one sided.

03-01-2010 04:57:06 | More by BARFLYB
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

1.76/5  rDev -47.8%

Ah, if this beer only tasted like it looked and smelled. You'd be like, hey, here's a normal looking beer, something weird to the aroma, like vanilla and ginger.

Taste, uh, you know, I don't like ginger with my sushi, and I guess its something psychosomatic, but the beer tastes like fish and rice. Mouthfeel of that, and drinkability, must suffer, like a Cubs fan.

02-27-2010 23:03:41 | More by Beerandraiderfan
isualum12

Idaho

1.6/5  rDev -52.5%

let me be clear before starting this was bad...

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tall clear pint glass.

A: Clear almost see through golden yellow with a white head that is almost not there at all...

S: I got no ginger out of it...

T: I thankfully now I know what as$ taste like. This was bad. In all fairness I can't tell you what the after taste was like because I spit it out...

D:I couldn't finsh the first drink so i can't figure out how someone is suppose to drink a whole bottle of it...

Sorry for the neg post but it was that bad for me...not my standard review.

02-27-2010 22:19:58 | More by isualum12
alli4051

2.88/5  rDev -14.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint.

A: Clear golden yellow with a white head that recedes quickly leaving little lacing.

S: Not a whole lot going on here. Hints of ginger.

T: Again, surprisingly little going on here. Mostly graininess up front with some very faint hints of ginger in the finish. Everything about this beer implies that you should expect more.

M: Light bodied with a crisp, clean finish.

D: I will say that I could easily drink quite a few of these; however, there isn't enough here to keep me interested for more than a pint.

02-26-2010 04:44:20 | More by alli4051
beeragent

3.2/5  rDev -5%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12oz bottle.

A - Poured a light gold forming a 1/2 inch white head. Very little spots of lace on the glass.

S - Strong aroma of ginger and spices in the nose. Very light hop aroma lingers in the back.

T - The flavor is lighter than expected, consisting of the ginger and spices dominating the palate with a well balance between the hops and malts in the background.

M - Light bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

D - Very unique flavor. Light in body and very clean in the finish. More of a summer beer IMO. A very easy drinker.

02-04-2010 19:47:19 | More by beeragent
wnh

Missouri

3.95/5  rDev +17.2%

Bottled on 08.24.09
12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours a bright orange-tinted copper topped by a bright cream-colored head. Murky, with lots of suspended sediment.

Clean, sweet honey is the first thing out of the glass, but is fleeting and quickly gone. Fresh, spicy ginger aroma dominates the nose without being overwhelming. Perhaps some sweet caramelly malt underneath, but it's difficult to say due to the strength of the ginger.

As expected, ginger dominates the palate as well, spicy and zesty and a bit earthy. Fades into subtle toasted malt with a bit of lingering fruitiness. Finish is clean and relatively quick. Ginger fades as I continue to drink, becoming more of an accent than the focal point.

Medium bodied and moderately firm. Clean and quite drinkable, surprising given the amount of spiciness. Kind of a one-trick pony, but would make a good food beer. Try it with sushi.

01-31-2010 23:43:12 | More by wnh
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

2.8/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle poured into a Sierra Nevada Imperial Pint. Bottled on 10 22 03 (?) [Could be 08 or 09, the last number was pretty rubbed off.]

A - Totally clear honey gold with a low white head. Poor retention left it at a thin layer rather quickly. An arch of lace on the glass was left too.

S - The whole nose is really shallow. Almost nothing there besides a hint of ginger giving it an aroma similar to ginger ale soda. Spicy and crisp with a clean finish. Decent, I just wish there were...more.

T - The flavor is an odd, disjointed combination of spicy ginger root and hops. No malts come out in the flavor. It's not overpowering, it's just not very good.

M - Light-medium in body, the juju ginger is a little thin albeit soft and smooth. The finish has a lingering spice to it.

D - I've had their stuff on tap but this is my first Left Hand review. Not too great. The flavor just doesn't come across well even if it is unique. I don't know that it could be a seven-year-old bottle. I don't think its bad in that way. Just not a delightful brew for me. I'll never pick it up again. Stranger even that I actually love ginger ale soda.

01-19-2010 03:21:26 | More by BeerFMAndy
mullenite

3.93/5  rDev +16.6%

Glassware - Allagash Tulip

Appearance - Clear golden in color with visible carbonation and a two finger white head that leaves a lot of sticky lacing on the glass.

Nose - Not as much ginger as I had expected but it is really nice and balanced in the nose. A little spicy too, aside from the ginger. Some clove or coriander in there, I'm not sure but it does smell nice... just not very ginger.

Taste - It tastes... like thai food.. really, it tastes like really good Asian food. The ginger is much more pronounced in the taste than it is in the nose. There is a little bit of bread to go with it to balance it out. It's very nice.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with nice sharp carbonation. Not much to say on this front, it's exactly how I would expect it to be. Not bad, but nothing special.

Overall - This beer is weird... I think I like it but I'm not sure... it would probably go really good with some sweet and mild curry. I will probably buy another single in the future but I don't think I could drink a 6-pack of this.

01-15-2010 08:04:23 | More by mullenite
flagmantho

Washington

3.98/5  rDev +18.1%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Bottled on 4/8/09.

Appearance: medium-light golden hue with just a slight haze; one finger of ivory head which dissipated quite quickly. Appetizing.

Smell: a very interesting herbed smell which I would not initially identify as ginger if I didn't know that already. It reminds me a little bit of heather beer; if I concentrate I can get an aroma of candied ginger as well. Overall, subtle but enticing.

Taste: nice sweet malt with plenty of spicy ginger flavor. In fact, it's exactly enough -- it's not too subtle and it's not too strong. Up front it tastes like a nice herbed ale, which then morphs into more of a specifically ginger flavor. The aftertaste is, bizarrely enough, reminiscent of a maple bar doughnut. This is one interesting beer.

Mouthfeel: medium-light body with a good level of carbonation. Mouthfeel is actually pretty creamy, which I like.

Drinkability: this beer is light enough in body and alcohol to be drunk in quantity, but complex enough in flavor to stay interesting through a session. From a drinkability standpoint, this beer is a great success.

12-28-2009 16:29:03 | More by flagmantho
jjanega08

3.25/5  rDev -3.6%

A= pours a bright orangish amber color with a thin head that falls to a skin on top of the beer and leaves no lacing. With a nice head this beer would look pretty bad ass. However, the lack of a head makes me a little sad and doesn't look nearly as appetizing in the glass.

S= smells like a ginger ale that has had a miller high life poured into it. Not bad I guess sort of what I expected. Lots of bready doughiness to it. Biscuits come to mind.

T= Like a high life with ginger again. At least it's not a fake sort of ginger though. This is a real ginger taste much like if you were to take a bite off of the root. This ventures from the ginger ale sort of idea. The finish is bready and biscuity as the nose indicated. Quite herbal.

M= Feels like fresh ginger in your mouth. I get a sort of heat from fresh ginger that I find in this beer. The finish isn't bad either sort of lasting actually. The mouth is prolly the best part of this beer.

D= Tastes like a miller high life without the amazing head and fresh ginger added. Not bad by any means and the fresh ginger taste instead of a sweet candy like substitute is quite nice and a pleasant surprise. Not a bad beer but I don't think I'll be seeking it out soon.

12-23-2009 05:07:38 | More by jjanega08
BetterDarker

3.53/5  rDev +4.7%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass.

A- Lots of carbonation, no head at all, slightly hazy brownish gold in color

S- Ginger and (biscuit?) malt, no hops

T- Ginger followed by ginger, with a finish of ginger, with a biscuity taste in there. Not picking up any hops. I finding this to be quite tasty.

M- Medium body with good carbonation.

D- While I do find this to be a tasty beer, I do not think I could session this beer. I love ginger, and I love beer, so this hits the spot when I crave both, but I couldn't make a night of it.

12-23-2009 02:54:19 | More by BetterDarker
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

3.3/5  rDev -2.1%

Wow this beer is kind of crazy the finish is definitely fres cut ginger, appears a slightly clouded golden apricot tone with a large billowing white head with a creamy texture. When I popped the cap it started oozing out and I spilled a bit while trying to pour it. Aroma is spicy with some mild citrus notes nice bready biscuit malt character. Flavor wise that finish is hardcore with the ginger tone, I'm guessing mild hops that are pretty much impossible to recognize with the ginger overpowering. A bit one sided on the ginger ample sweetness but sort of an astringent quality arises especially as it warms. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied, carbonation level is a bit spritzy but not over the top. Drinkability overall, this one is a strange bird worth the experience probably goes well with some Asian cooking maybe some Thai food, or some Jerk chicken since the label is all about the Jamaica saying something about this ale is Irie.

12-13-2009 22:59:36 | More by WVbeergeek
randawakes

Alaska

3.08/5  rDev -8.6%

Taste like a ... ginger ale! Ginger is in the smell and unmistakable in the taste. Not much else to look forward to. A bit lagery. Hops not very noticeable, beer is spicy. Brewed in LONGMONT, CO. thats the only reason I got it. Wouldn't look forward to this again if somebody put it on the table for me to drink.

12-12-2009 23:56:27 | More by randawakes
sinstaineddemon

Connecticut

3.25/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

on tap at the Dirty Truth

A - this ginger beer is reddish brown with a thin tan head that fades quickly into a ring, scant amounts of carbonation

S - spicy ginger *surprise*, grainy and malty, to me it tastes more like gingerbread than ginger, that gingerness dominates the aroma

T - ginger dominates the taste as well, to me there is also a background sweet corn taste, must be from the malts, a rather basic, non-complex flavor, but tasty nonetheless

M&D - a bit spicy and monotonous, but tasty as mentioned, medium bodied, may be overspiced for some, moderately drinkable

11-11-2009 21:15:09 | More by sinstaineddemon
barleywinefiend

Washington

3.03/5  rDev -10.1%

Poured a light amber golden color with good carbonation and a small white head.
Nose is ginger, grass and some spice. Taste like the smell, light malt lots of ginger Taste is dry with a touch of grassy hops and ginger. Mouthfeel is light and dry.
Drinkability is ok but not for me.

11-09-2009 03:15:57 | More by barleywinefiend
JTWILDOATS

2.93/5  rDev -13.1%

Good God.
I'm always up for trying Left Hand, because they tend to make such interesting brews. This, unfortuately was meek and mild.

For something with a main ingredient of ginger, this brew fell embarassingly flat and bland. Little carbonation, little bounce from the ginger which I was hoping for, and barely any complexity after each sip.

This turned out to be less interesting than a nice, cold glass of ginger ale. The only redeeming quality of this brew was its authentic ginger taste--unlike that of some ginger ales. However, that taste was mostly masked over by an overwhemingly watery palate.

I'd love for Southern Tier or Dogfish to try something with ginger--that would be interesting.

10-13-2009 02:01:57 | More by JTWILDOATS