Good Juju (Ginger Ale) - Left Hand Brewing Company

Good Juju (Ginger Ale)Good Juju (Ginger Ale)

Left Hand Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-27-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Good Juju (Ginger Ale) Alström Bros
3.25/5  rDev -3.8%

A= pours a bright orangish amber color with a thin head that falls to a skin on top of the beer and leaves no lacing. With a nice head this beer would look pretty bad ass. However, the lack of a head makes me a little sad and doesn't look nearly as appetizing in the glass.

S= smells like a ginger ale that has had a miller high life poured into it. Not bad I guess sort of what I expected. Lots of bready doughiness to it. Biscuits come to mind.

T= Like a high life with ginger again. At least it's not a fake sort of ginger though. This is a real ginger taste much like if you were to take a bite off of the root. This ventures from the ginger ale sort of idea. The finish is bready and biscuity as the nose indicated. Quite herbal.

M= Feels like fresh ginger in your mouth. I get a sort of heat from fresh ginger that I find in this beer. The finish isn't bad either sort of lasting actually. The mouth is prolly the best part of this beer.

D= Tastes like a miller high life without the amazing head and fresh ginger added. Not bad by any means and the fresh ginger taste instead of a sweet candy like substitute is quite nice and a pleasant surprise. Not a bad beer but I don't think I'll be seeking it out soon.

3.53/5  rDev +4.4%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass.

A- Lots of carbonation, no head at all, slightly hazy brownish gold in color

S- Ginger and (biscuit?) malt, no hops

T- Ginger followed by ginger, with a finish of ginger, with a biscuity taste in there. Not picking up any hops. I finding this to be quite tasty.

M- Medium body with good carbonation.

D- While I do find this to be a tasty beer, I do not think I could session this beer. I love ginger, and I love beer, so this hits the spot when I crave both, but I couldn't make a night of it.

3.3/5  rDev -2.4%

Wow this beer is kind of crazy the finish is definitely fres cut ginger, appears a slightly clouded golden apricot tone with a large billowing white head with a creamy texture. When I popped the cap it started oozing out and I spilled a bit while trying to pour it. Aroma is spicy with some mild citrus notes nice bready biscuit malt character. Flavor wise that finish is hardcore with the ginger tone, I'm guessing mild hops that are pretty much impossible to recognize with the ginger overpowering. A bit one sided on the ginger ample sweetness but sort of an astringent quality arises especially as it warms. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied, carbonation level is a bit spritzy but not over the top. Drinkability overall, this one is a strange bird worth the experience probably goes well with some Asian cooking maybe some Thai food, or some Jerk chicken since the label is all about the Jamaica saying something about this ale is Irie.

3.08/5  rDev -8.9%

Taste like a ... ginger ale! Ginger is in the smell and unmistakable in the taste. Not much else to look forward to. A bit lagery. Hops not very noticeable, beer is spicy. Brewed in LONGMONT, CO. thats the only reason I got it. Wouldn't look forward to this again if somebody put it on the table for me to drink.

3.25/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

on tap at the Dirty Truth

A - this ginger beer is reddish brown with a thin tan head that fades quickly into a ring, scant amounts of carbonation

S - spicy ginger *surprise*, grainy and malty, to me it tastes more like gingerbread than ginger, that gingerness dominates the aroma

T - ginger dominates the taste as well, to me there is also a background sweet corn taste, must be from the malts, a rather basic, non-complex flavor, but tasty nonetheless

M&D - a bit spicy and monotonous, but tasty as mentioned, medium bodied, may be overspiced for some, moderately drinkable

3.03/5  rDev -10.4%

Poured a light amber golden color with good carbonation and a small white head.
Nose is ginger, grass and some spice. Taste like the smell, light malt lots of ginger Taste is dry with a touch of grassy hops and ginger. Mouthfeel is light and dry.
Drinkability is ok but not for me.

2.93/5  rDev -13.3%

Good God.
I'm always up for trying Left Hand, because they tend to make such interesting brews. This, unfortuately was meek and mild.

For something with a main ingredient of ginger, this brew fell embarassingly flat and bland. Little carbonation, little bounce from the ginger which I was hoping for, and barely any complexity after each sip.

This turned out to be less interesting than a nice, cold glass of ginger ale. The only redeeming quality of this brew was its authentic ginger taste--unlike that of some ginger ales. However, that taste was mostly masked over by an overwhemingly watery palate.

I'd love for Southern Tier or Dogfish to try something with ginger--that would be interesting.

4.35/5  rDev +28.7%

Presentation: Poured into a tulip glass from a 12oz. bottle as pictured.

A: Very slight haze to a bright gold color. Nice bubbles and heavy thick head with moderate lacing.

S: Mainly herbal scents with mild spice aromas.

T&M: Real smooth, light bodied ale. Medium carbonation with a lot of up-front malt sweetness. Mild hop bitterness that fades slowly as the ginger takes over as time goes by. Nice spicy feel to the brew that backs the crisp finish of the beer.

Nice mild ale with a great taste.

3.78/5  rDev +11.8%

The beer pours a golden orange with a nice eggshell head that dies down to a layer of bubbles and a little lacing.

The ginger in the nose is pretty faint, but the ale portion is nice. A little faint, though.

My original problem is that I am comparing this beer to its soft drink counterparts. This can't touch a well-crafted ginger ale/beer soft drink, but it is pretty nice. The ginger hits first, and feels a little raw, and is a little subtle. The malt and hop finish is pretty nice. More sweet malt at the start would be great.

In the mouth it is a very well-balanced beer. Not watery, not over-carbonated. Nice and refreshing.

The beer is drinkable, but I still prefer the soft drink version.

Notes from May 31, 2009
A nice clear golden orange color body with a big soapy off-white head,lively carbonation. Aroma of ginger and a touch of corn, maybe a hint of grass.Flavor is crisp and fresh, mostly ginger and kind of a corny lagerish taste, a little dry caramel malt,a hint of toastyness, not much sweetness in the flavor but a slight bit in the finish, light body, with a very pale hop profile and a bit of ginger in the finish. An odd brew but good, not really sure how I feel about this yet.

From the Mountain Mixer sample 12 pack

3.78/5  rDev +11.8%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Modest off-white head. Clear bright amber body. It looks rather nice.

Smell: Ginger with some hoppy action going on underneath. Kind of a weird smell combination, but I'm digging it.

Taste: I suppose this is pretty much an English pale ale with some ginger to add some flair. Overall not bad.

Drinkability: I'd love to knock back a few of these in an evening.

3.73/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured into a pint glass. A nice two fingers of head, mostly-clear light amber, orange tint. Smells of biscuity malts, some floral and citrus hops, and, unsurprisingly, ginger. The ginger works well with the hops.

Thin, light-bodied. Malty, with ginger through the middle, not too strong, but then again I cook with the stuff. Sort of vaguely Extra Special Bitter. Some citrus on the back, but that might be the ginger.

Mouthfeel is too light. Would make a good summer beer, but I sort of wish more was going on here.

Would've liked to see a more robust version of this. More ginger, more hops, more ABV. As is, a worthwhile experiment. I'm glad I tried it, but glad I didn't get a six pack.

3.1/5  rDev -8.3%

This beer was just not for me.
I like Left Hand and will continue to support them.
It was almost like a bad ginger ale soda. I don't get the heavy spice flavor coming off of my first five or six sips. Maybe just not my style
Will not drink this ever again.

3.1/5  rDev -8.3%

22 oz bomber poured in to a shaker pint glass.

Pours a mostly clear amber brown with an off white lacy head.

Smell is mellow malt and ginger.

Taste is pretty watery with a tang of ginger. Kind of interesting.

A little thin, but very drinkable.

Maybe this would be great for boating, as ginger minimizes seasickness.

Would not buy this again.

4.22/5  rDev +24.9%

Poured into a pint glass.

Ginger is one of my favorite flavors. This beer has a wonderful ginger taste, which is exactly what I would expect from a beer with this name. Further, there is a decent bitterness & a slight sweetness as well. I'm not a huge fan of spiced beers normally, but this one is really nice. Recommended.

3.23/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured a light straw color with some copper tinting. Perfect clarity and two fingers of fine white foam adourned my glass.

The aroma was of fresh cut wood and malt.

The flavor started with a ginger bite followed by a pale malt flavor. The ginger provide a nice tang which doesn't overpower the beer flavor but rather gives it a fresh light "summer beer" flavor profile.

The carbonation was thin as was the mouthfeel. Still, this beer was quite drinkable. If it wasn't for it's lack of flavor other than that of ginger, i'd have given it higher marks.

3.55/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

On-tap at Watercourse in Denver, CO.

A: Pale amber with a mild haze and a small amount of carbonation. Soapy white head starts small and has OK retention. Leaves bits of lace.

S: You can definitely smell the ginger. It's subtle, but still dominates the nose. Some biscuit like malts reside in the background.

T: There's a certain spiked ginger-ale quality at work here. Starts out dry with a cracker taste. Bitterness is mild and contributes only a dash of lemon flavor. The ginger is the centerpiece. Flavor wise, it reminded me most of the sweet pickled ginger that comes with sushi. That's not a bad thing, just different. The ginger flavor lingers through the finish.

M: Medium-light body is slightly grainy. Carbonation level seems right on target.

D: This is a hard beer for me to judge. The flavor is nice and certainly different. The light body and low ABV make it go down quick. Would I want another one? Not really. For me, this is a beer I'm glad I tried, but not something I'd seek out.

3.75/5  rDev +10.9%

22oz single from Arctic Liquors in Steamboat, CO. $4.
I've noticed this beer every time I'm in there, figured it was worth a shot.

A: Crystal clear, copper/orange in color with a white head, about half an inch thick, loud bubbles, I can hear them settling! Fair amount of carbonation moving through the beer. Not much lacing to speak of. Pretty fair looking beer. Nothing exciting though.

S: Can definitely pick out the ginger in this one, smells a lot like a Canadian Dry ginger ale. And that's about it. Nice smelling ginger beer.

T: I was expecting a Canadian Dry from the smell, but it's not quite there. Ginger is definitely there, but is somewhat subdued, pretty light tasting beer all around. Ginger, a bit of roasted pale malt, and a faint hint of bitterness at the end. Nothing exciting, but still fairly tasty. Interesting beer.

M: Quite thin, nicely carbonated, and dry. Goes down quite easily.

D: Easy drinking beer, I like the flavor of ginger in a beer, and this doesn't let me down. I might have to try this again, would like to try on tap or very fresh.

3.8/5  rDev +12.4%

A: The pint looks like it's filled with apple
juice. There is no head and the lacing is
sparce at best.

S: The ginger is definately there. There is
distinct sweetness to the aroma as well.

T: A good amount of hop and a slight malt hint.
The ginger is definately present with a candy
sweetness in the aftertaste. The aftertaste
doesn't linget long, thankfully.

M: Good mouthfeel. Not syrupy as the sweetness
in flavor usually relates to. A nice medium
brew not without some substance.

D: Good drinkability particularly with Thai food
as I had it. I would assume that it would
also pair well with chocolate and cheese.
Not an all day on the lake drink, but an all
evening at the dinner table drink for sure.

3.05/5  rDev -9.8%

Got this beer from Common Market in Charlotte NC.
Pours a clean clear amber gold color in the body. Has a great pale white head that sustains pretty well throughout the drinking.
Smell is sweet floral and has hints of ginger. Slight malt on the nose. The ginger is a little too tart on the nose to make it obviously ginger. Some floral and citrus hops make their presence here too.
Taste is based on subtle ginger and light malts. Good citrus and tart finish with hops and little ginger after notes.
Mouthfeel is light.

3.88/5  rDev +14.8%

Thick effervescent white head. Golden orange clear color.

My nose is recovering from the sniffles, so I can't pick up as much as usual. Still, a bit fruity and a little bit of ginger in the aroma.

This pretty much tastes like what you would expect would happen if you stuck ginger ale into beer. So, take away the sweetness of the ginger ale, throw in some malty and hoppy beer flavor, and there you go. The first time I tried it, I didn't noticed the ginger so much, but it's definitely there, kind of a tart flavor.

Good crisp beer, fairly refreshing too.

3.4/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: high carbonation, small head, clear, brownish gold in color

Smell: ginger and malt

Taste: ginger throughout, some malt, some tea taste

Mouthfeel: moderately bitter, medium heavy body.

Drinkability: This is an aquired taste beer. I will get it again, but cannot see myself drinking more than one in a sitting. I think it tastes like a mix between an amber ale and an iced tea. I good beer, but not one I could drink a six of.

4.35/5  rDev +28.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

12oz bottle into pint glass.

One finger white head that settles to a razor thin cap. The hue is deep amber, bordering on copper.

Strong ginger aromas on top of a toasty grain base.

The ginger spice mixes very well with the malts that are well toasted, giving off a little caramel. It has a bit of a sweetness as well, giving it almost a ginger cereal flavor to it. Light bodied, high carbonation.

The flavor was a pleasant surprise in this one, as sometimes ginger beers can be a bit acerbic on the tongue. This one is done very well though. Recommended.

3.28/5  rDev -3%

This should have been Stimpy's counter to the bad juju Red committed on Tuesday the 17th. And this is my counter to the chciken and couscous I prepared. On to the beer:

The body is clean. Pale drop of orange sun color, with a bubbly head that forms an inch thick, but drops to a thin coating. Aroma....it's very light and honey-like with a faint, hard to make out note of ginger. The ginger in the aroma grows in intensity as it sits in my glass longer. Into the mouth...very light in the mouth, with a flimsy, yet mildly spiced feel to it (must be the ginger). The ginger is the dominant flavor in this beer, but it's rather light in overall flavor. There's a neutral graininess as the ginger dissipates. Mandarin orange emerges out of the ginger.

At first, I thought this beer was too light. But the more I drank it, the more the beer gripped onto me. Use this against the lighter bad juju.

3.63/5  rDev +7.4%

Pours golden with some carbonation fizzing up. Lacing is decent throughout. The head is small, and recedes fairly quickly, but there is a thin layer of foam the whole way down.

Smell is like..ginger. Not much else actually, its pretty mild. Nice spice note to it from the ginger root though

Tastes like ginger, as expected. There is a slight bitterness, but not too much, and there is a good bready finish mixing with the ginger spice. Well done

Mouthfeel is light and crisp, and the breadyness at the end makes it better. Goes down well, and I can see this being a refreshing spring beer..therefore, it has good drinkability. Overall, I would recommend this. Not groundbreaking, but definitely worth trying. I could go for it again.

Good Juju (Ginger Ale) from Left Hand Brewing Company