Good Juju (Ginger Ale) - Left Hand Brewing Company

Good Juju (Ginger Ale)Good Juju (Ginger Ale)

Left Hand Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Good Juju (Ginger Ale) Alström Bros
3.23/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured a light straw color with some copper tinting. Perfect clarity and two fingers of fine white foam adourned my glass.

The aroma was of fresh cut wood and malt.

The flavor started with a ginger bite followed by a pale malt flavor. The ginger provide a nice tang which doesn't overpower the beer flavor but rather gives it a fresh light "summer beer" flavor profile.

The carbonation was thin as was the mouthfeel. Still, this beer was quite drinkable. If it wasn't for it's lack of flavor other than that of ginger, i'd have given it higher marks.

ABOWMan, Jun 22, 2009
3.55/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

On-tap at Watercourse in Denver, CO.

A: Pale amber with a mild haze and a small amount of carbonation. Soapy white head starts small and has OK retention. Leaves bits of lace.

S: You can definitely smell the ginger. It's subtle, but still dominates the nose. Some biscuit like malts reside in the background.

T: There's a certain spiked ginger-ale quality at work here. Starts out dry with a cracker taste. Bitterness is mild and contributes only a dash of lemon flavor. The ginger is the centerpiece. Flavor wise, it reminded me most of the sweet pickled ginger that comes with sushi. That's not a bad thing, just different. The ginger flavor lingers through the finish.

M: Medium-light body is slightly grainy. Carbonation level seems right on target.

D: This is a hard beer for me to judge. The flavor is nice and certainly different. The light body and low ABV make it go down quick. Would I want another one? Not really. For me, this is a beer I'm glad I tried, but not something I'd seek out.

Rayek, Jun 08, 2009
3.75/5  rDev +10.9%

22oz single from Arctic Liquors in Steamboat, CO. $4.
I've noticed this beer every time I'm in there, figured it was worth a shot.

A: Crystal clear, copper/orange in color with a white head, about half an inch thick, loud bubbles, I can hear them settling! Fair amount of carbonation moving through the beer. Not much lacing to speak of. Pretty fair looking beer. Nothing exciting though.

S: Can definitely pick out the ginger in this one, smells a lot like a Canadian Dry ginger ale. And that's about it. Nice smelling ginger beer.

T: I was expecting a Canadian Dry from the smell, but it's not quite there. Ginger is definitely there, but is somewhat subdued, pretty light tasting beer all around. Ginger, a bit of roasted pale malt, and a faint hint of bitterness at the end. Nothing exciting, but still fairly tasty. Interesting beer.

M: Quite thin, nicely carbonated, and dry. Goes down quite easily.

D: Easy drinking beer, I like the flavor of ginger in a beer, and this doesn't let me down. I might have to try this again, would like to try on tap or very fresh.

pokesbeerdude, May 26, 2009
3.8/5  rDev +12.4%

A: The pint looks like it's filled with apple
juice. There is no head and the lacing is
sparce at best.

S: The ginger is definately there. There is
distinct sweetness to the aroma as well.

T: A good amount of hop and a slight malt hint.
The ginger is definately present with a candy
sweetness in the aftertaste. The aftertaste
doesn't linget long, thankfully.

M: Good mouthfeel. Not syrupy as the sweetness
in flavor usually relates to. A nice medium
brew not without some substance.

D: Good drinkability particularly with Thai food
as I had it. I would assume that it would
also pair well with chocolate and cheese.
Not an all day on the lake drink, but an all
evening at the dinner table drink for sure.

ArrogantDeadGuy, May 12, 2009
3.05/5  rDev -9.8%

Got this beer from Common Market in Charlotte NC.
Pours a clean clear amber gold color in the body. Has a great pale white head that sustains pretty well throughout the drinking.
Smell is sweet floral and has hints of ginger. Slight malt on the nose. The ginger is a little too tart on the nose to make it obviously ginger. Some floral and citrus hops make their presence here too.
Taste is based on subtle ginger and light malts. Good citrus and tart finish with hops and little ginger after notes.
Mouthfeel is light.

chaz410, May 04, 2009
3.88/5  rDev +14.8%

Thick effervescent white head. Golden orange clear color.

My nose is recovering from the sniffles, so I can't pick up as much as usual. Still, a bit fruity and a little bit of ginger in the aroma.

This pretty much tastes like what you would expect would happen if you stuck ginger ale into beer. So, take away the sweetness of the ginger ale, throw in some malty and hoppy beer flavor, and there you go. The first time I tried it, I didn't noticed the ginger so much, but it's definitely there, kind of a tart flavor.

Good crisp beer, fairly refreshing too.

weasbri, May 02, 2009
3.4/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: high carbonation, small head, clear, brownish gold in color

Smell: ginger and malt

Taste: ginger throughout, some malt, some tea taste

Mouthfeel: moderately bitter, medium heavy body.

Drinkability: This is an aquired taste beer. I will get it again, but cannot see myself drinking more than one in a sitting. I think it tastes like a mix between an amber ale and an iced tea. I good beer, but not one I could drink a six of.

tigg924, Apr 28, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +28.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

12oz bottle into pint glass.

One finger white head that settles to a razor thin cap. The hue is deep amber, bordering on copper.

Strong ginger aromas on top of a toasty grain base.

The ginger spice mixes very well with the malts that are well toasted, giving off a little caramel. It has a bit of a sweetness as well, giving it almost a ginger cereal flavor to it. Light bodied, high carbonation.

The flavor was a pleasant surprise in this one, as sometimes ginger beers can be a bit acerbic on the tongue. This one is done very well though. Recommended.

BeerSox, Apr 18, 2009
3.28/5  rDev -3%

This should have been Stimpy's counter to the bad juju Red committed on Tuesday the 17th. And this is my counter to the chciken and couscous I prepared. On to the beer:

The body is clean. Pale drop of orange sun color, with a bubbly head that forms an inch thick, but drops to a thin coating. Aroma....it's very light and honey-like with a faint, hard to make out note of ginger. The ginger in the aroma grows in intensity as it sits in my glass longer. Into the mouth...very light in the mouth, with a flimsy, yet mildly spiced feel to it (must be the ginger). The ginger is the dominant flavor in this beer, but it's rather light in overall flavor. There's a neutral graininess as the ginger dissipates. Mandarin orange emerges out of the ginger.

At first, I thought this beer was too light. But the more I drank it, the more the beer gripped onto me. Use this against the lighter bad juju.

DoubleJ, Apr 16, 2009
3.63/5  rDev +7.4%

Pours golden with some carbonation fizzing up. Lacing is decent throughout. The head is small, and recedes fairly quickly, but there is a thin layer of foam the whole way down.

Smell is like..ginger. Not much else actually, its pretty mild. Nice spice note to it from the ginger root though

Tastes like ginger, as expected. There is a slight bitterness, but not too much, and there is a good bready finish mixing with the ginger spice. Well done

Mouthfeel is light and crisp, and the breadyness at the end makes it better. Goes down well, and I can see this being a refreshing spring beer..therefore, it has good drinkability. Overall, I would recommend this. Not groundbreaking, but definitely worth trying. I could go for it again.

kshankar, Apr 12, 2009
3.55/5  rDev +5%

this beer was in my fridge for almost a year.

poured out a hazy blonde with a nice white head.

smells of ale with just a hint of mellow something. i can't even say it's ginger or spice even though i know it's in there.

well balanced ale with bready malt coming through. in fact i have to wait a few seconds in the aftertaste to even imagine the ginger. i think the aging mellowed it a lot.

overall mouthfeel and drinkability is good though.

skrib09, Mar 26, 2009
3.4/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Appearance-golden with a vigorous pour into a tulip large 3 finger white head that dissipates quickly some lacing

Smell-sweet malt earthy ginger not a whole lot going on

Taste-light sweetness in front, sour middle, very mild slightly dry hop bitter finish

Mouth-light body almost watery could have had more malt backbone

Drink-a good beer not great has the thirst quenching quality you look for in the summer

Notes-a beer I would drink again but I won't be rushing out to get more.

gorglagore, Mar 23, 2009
3.25/5  rDev -3.8%

Tried this one at Chai's in Charleston, SC.

A-Pours a darker golden color with a white head and lacing.

S-Smells like ginger with a little bit of malt, but not a whole lot else.

T-Tastes like ginger which is pretty interesting. This is my first ginger ale, so I don't have a whole lot to base it on. The ginger lingers for a while.

M/D-Very light bodied which I didn't really care for. I think if this beer had a bigger malt profile I would have enjoyed it much more. Overall, not bad though.

casemw, Mar 16, 2009
3.98/5  rDev +17.8%

Pours a dark gold color with an average sized white head that displays decent retention and lacing.

Smells like gingerbread cookies...I cant get that Shrek character out of my mind as I drink this! There's really not much else to note about the smell of this beer as the gingerbread smell is all I get.

Taste is more of the same as this is a straightforward, no frills ginger beer. I find it to be quite well done though and is flavorful enough to keep it interesting but not overdoing it on the spices. A smattering of hoppy dryness creeps in near the end and increases the refreshing factor of this brew. This would make a fantastic summertime evening quencher, and at 4% is a sessioner. I'm having no problems finishing my bomber by myself, good beer!

twiggamortis420, Mar 10, 2009
3.18/5  rDev -5.9%

12 ounce bottle - $1.99 at Total Wine & More in Kennesaw, Georgia. Bottled On: Smudge, 12, 08.

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear, amber body with a foamy, whitish head.

Smell: Pale malts with meager hop scents of spice and ripe lemons with an aroma of ginger root.

Taste: Pale malts with a very, very, very light touch hint and overall sweetness. A few drops of lemon juice. Mildly spicy hops and bitterness. Growing into all this is the piquant, cumulative ginger component. Sip of aquifer water precedes the faintly sweet, faintly spicy ginger finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: A bit light on the ginger, but I'm down with that. I had this a few years ago and thought the ginger was pretty punchy (i.e, obnoxious). This time, it's pretty damned mild. However, if given the choice of too much ginger or not enough, I'll pick the latter every single time.

ChainGangGuy, Mar 07, 2009
3.35/5  rDev -0.9%

A - Amber with a thin white head.

S - Sugary, honey sweet candy with ginger influence.

T - Like a sweet pale ale with a little ginger in it. I had sort of hoped for some of ginger's heat and spiciness to come through in the taste but it was more of a faint hint.

M - Watery and disappointing.

HeyItsChili, Mar 03, 2009
3.35/5  rDev -0.9%

I was actually pretty surprised with this offering. I saw it on the shelf and decided to give it a go, thinking it probably wouldnt be that great, I mean come on Ginger? But it actually didnt have that strong, as in off putting, ginger taste I expected to get. The flavor was pretty nice, good smell to it, and is pretty darn drinkable for sure. Not something I would ever get on a regular basis, but for sure this was nice for a change of pace.

webbcreative, Feb 27, 2009
3.8/5  rDev +12.4%

A- pours a nice amber with a small white head and a little bit of lacing
S- ginger, honey, more ginger and a touch of hops
T- sweet ginger, a little brown sugar, and some hops and malt thrown in to balance it out, a little sweet but pleasant
M- good carbonation , the spices really stick out
D- pretty good, the beer is a little sweet but the abv is very low

beer meets like a reed's ginger beer. Very refreshing if you like ginger like I do, I could have a few but the beer is too sweet to be a session beer.

gdfan47, Jan 25, 2009
3.65/5  rDev +8%

The clerk at West Side Liquors thought this bottle was really old so he gave it to me free!

I feel brave tonight, so let's see what happens.. Good pop on the pry off cap, no smell of vinegar - let's proceed!

Pours a slightly hazy, dull yellow/brown with a white and creamy 1/2 inch head. Average lacing and head retention.

Smells of ginger, tea and honey. Ginger is sweet and dominant.

Taste... Much like the nose, only stonger. Medium bodied and ample carbonation on this medium flavored beer. Ginger, honey and tea combo.

Not nearly as frightening as I was expecting! Not bad at all...

beachbum1975, Jan 25, 2009
3.65/5  rDev +8%

I was intrigued by the use of ginger in a beer, and it's use was definitely intersting. The strength of the ginger was strong in the aroma and it made itself even more pronounced once it hit my tongue. The lightness of the beer allowed the ginger to stay strong well into the finish. I can see how this would be a nice crisp summer beer.

aletales, Jan 24, 2009
3.53/5  rDev +4.4%

I have been thinking about brewing a ginger beer for a while now and happened to run into this little ditty at the local Wine & More (Atl). Of course I had to pick it up - 4-pack. It's been a while since I've had any Left Hand brews, so I wasn't sure what to expect.

The fairly light-colored ale poured into the glass smoothly to reveal little head (<1cm). Even with little head present, I was still looking forward to being engulfed in the Ginger. The aroma was pleasant, but I found it lacking the pungency I was looking for (I am an enthusiastic fan of ginger). The head quickly disappeared after a few sips.

As far as the flavor, I had to "search" for the ginger. My wife found it easily, first saying that it tasted "Asian" and then identifying the ginger immediately. She said she could really taste it throughout her drinking. The ginger I could taste was more akin to the pickled ginger accompanying sushi than the candied ginger you find in scones/deserts. I'm not sure how you want to take that, but it was a very pleasing addition to the ale.

Overall... a very drinkable ale with little to no palate fatigue and a nice "hint" of ginger.

GrizzlyBrew, Jan 12, 2009
3.35/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Appearance -- really nice golden color, but poor foam, weak lace.

Smell -- Sweet malty nose. Definite candy ginger smell. Tad hop spiciness.

Taste -- disappointing. not that it's bad. It's clean and ginger is not over the top. The sweetness in the aroma is not captured in the taste. Very watery. More of a personal preference for me. Slight mineral water taste. Just too weak. Good if you like a light session beer.

Mouthfeel -- Nice playful carbonation. Very light bodied.

Drinkability -- Good session beer. I'm not into the bland flavor. The ginger is nice. Maybe it is better with food.

saccro, Jan 11, 2009
3.7/5  rDev +9.5%

A - pours a orangish brown with little head and just a tiny bit of lacing

S - maltiness and a bit of ginger aroma

T - ginger and citrus, with a bit of a carbonated feel in the back of the throat

M/D - not a bad beer at all, the taste is pretty good and drinkability is very good. The taste is up to the drinker. The ginger is a nice taste and something different and a bit of a hop bite helps it along. I'd try it again.

mikereaser, Jan 11, 2009
3.23/5  rDev -4.4%

This beer pours a clear orangey/amber hue with an average white foamy head..some lacing is noticeable throughout. Aroma is big time ginger with a backbone of pale malt and some fruity aromas in the back ground. Flavor has some malt sweetness and toasted notes from the pale ale. The ginger and the hops then create a semi-citrus fruit hit that is an interesting taste on the tongue. Mouthfeel is smooth and then spicy. It is very likened to a soda or ginger ale in that it is extremely high in carbonation. It was an interesting beer to try, simply not one for my palate.

Jayli, Jan 04, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +28.7%

This beer might be low in Alcohol, but not in taste. It has a wonderful summer drinking feel about it. It might be a little expensive and as far as I can find only in 4 packs but it is very good, especially if you like the flavor of ginger. And on a special note this beer should be the required drink with sushi, like red wine is with steak and such.

RomulanAle, Dec 04, 2008