1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Left Hand Milk Stout - Left Hand Brewing Company

Left Hand Milk StoutLeft Hand Milk Stout

Left Hand Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-20-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 4,819 | Reviews: 1,600 | Show All Ratings:
morayeel

WOW this stout is AWSOME!!!

Aperance- Dark Black I could hardley see through the glass

Smell- Just a hint of smoke and chocolate

Taste- Smooth no bitterness with a hint of chocolate and vey nice hint of smoke

Mothfeel- Smooth vert little after taste of the chocolate, the smoke taste lingers in you mouth.

Drinkability- I could only drink one or two of these at a time due to the richness of the stout

One of the best stouts I have ever had

The more I sip on this stout the more it starts to taste like Im drinking smoke flavored chocolate milk.

11-13-2007 02:30:00 | More by morayeel
bcole002

Had this beer on tap. Maybe it's the name, but I almost felt I was drinking cold milk beer, if there is even such a thing. The beer was smooth and silky. Nice easy to drink stout, all around. I'm afraid to try it in a bottle for fear that it might taint my memory.

09-21-2009 04:07:46 | More by bcole002
ModemMisuser

Indiana

This beer was my introduction to the world of milk stouts, and will always be a favorite beer of mine.

The first time I had it was on Co2 tap, then I had a bottle of it, and then had a nitro pour of it. All of them were awesome, but it's best on nitro.

Pours a very dark color - black I'd say, but super dark brown, nearly black, is probably more correct. Head is huge and white, with good lacing. Nitro cascade effect is, as always, awesome. Mouthfeel is super creamy/milky, as are most/all milk stouts. Aroma is of dark, roasted malts. Coffee. Chocolate.

Not much else to say; it's a milk stout, and probably the benchmark all milk stouts are measured by. Only Flat 12's come close for me - and F12 is local, so I drink it more often.

07-06-2011 18:01:14 | More by ModemMisuser
chicagobill13

pours as a brown to dark brown look with a head. This very nice creamy malt taste. This is a very good drinkable beer. This is a very good beer. It is a very balance beer in taste. It is always with dessert. Ice cream and cake etc. I really love this beer.

09-03-2011 18:20:49 | More by chicagobill13
JuicesFlowing

Kansas

Poured into a standard pint glass. This beer is a freaking beauty. The head is a creamy froth that dissipates to a bubbly film across the top. The lacing is a work of art: sticky, sticky, sticky creamy bubbles all over the glass. The colour of the beer is a deep rich dark-chocolate black. The smell is sweet with a touch of alcohol. This beer tastes amazing. Sweet milk chocolate and roasted coffee, mixed with a touch of dark malts. A great mouthfeel makes this go down very, very smooth. This is the perfect session beer for me, it's not watery, nor is it too heavy. Overall I love this beer for every reason: it's beautiful to loo at as it goes down, it tastes awesome, and it's not too heavy at all, even at 6%. I will proclaim this as the best American Stout I have ever consumed.

10-23-2011 16:00:21 | More by JuicesFlowing
Brouwerij78

I had a sweet pint of this exciting concotion at the "Spotty Dog" in Hudson, NY. It was a very creamy, sugared, milk, dense stout who's flavor resonated in my mouth for hours after the pint was gone. I thoroughly enjoyed this one and would absolutely have another pint if I came across it in the future. A+

12-17-2011 04:11:34 | More by Brouwerij78
Axismundi

This is fantastic stuff! I fell in love with this beer/dessert on nitro-tap several months ago, due to it's amazing smoothness and creamy mouth feel and lovely, yet not-overpowering sweetness.

I tried this milk stout in the non-nitro bottle and was pretty disappointed because it was not the same as the nitro. However the Nitro bottle is just about as good as nitro tap and goes down so, so easily and is delicious as a milk stout.

Sometimes I want my stout to be intense, heavily roasty, and exceedingly deep in flavor, but this is not what beer is all about. It really excels at being easy, yummy, and smooth. Even a few of my friends who only drink commercial macro beers tell me this one is awesome! How about that?

Do yourself a favor and give this one a try! You won't regret it.
P.S. It is beautiful when poured vigorously into a pint glass and This one is easy to find in Chicago as of right now.

01-23-2012 01:23:03 | More by Axismundi
SouljaSaia17

A: This had some nice smoke coming out of the bottle for starters. The appearance is a nice dark color with some crazy carbonation in the middle but not throughout. And is complimented with a thin, creamy, mocha type head.

S: Instant chocolate and caramel malts in the aroma with a hint of lactose and yeast.

T: Flavor consists of chocolate, caramel, and some roasted malts. The finish is just like a stout with that dry, bready taste.

M: Mouth feel is very smooth like drinking chocolate milk or something of that nature.

O: This is only the 2nd Milk Stout I ever had and its just as good as any other stout. Really creamy and flavorful. This is a top notch stout and I would recommend it to anyone. Great beer!

07-18-2012 06:40:11 | More by SouljaSaia17
RWLawman

A - Hard poor produced a pitch black in color beer. Fun to watch the "flow" from the bottom of the glass as the head grows to a two finger, khaki colored head with solid retention and moderate lacing.

S - Scents of coffee, chocolate, and cream. The smell is absolutely delicious, and only makes me that much more anxious to taste it.

T - Follows the nose with coffee and rich chocolate. However, the lactose brings out a sweetness and creaminess that brings it all together, into one ridiculously delicious experience.

M - Thick and creamy, like a milk stout should be. Especially coming from a nitro tap or nitro bottle. I've had LHMS in regular bottles, nitro taps, and in the case of this review, nitro bottles. It's hard to beat nitro tap obviously, but the nitro bottle is every bit as outstanding. Very smooth and creamy texture, making it more than sessionable.

O - I've been a huge fan of Left Hand Milk Stout for a while now, but felt that bottled LHMS really missed the mark. That was, until, I finally got my hands on Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro (bottle.) I waited a year for Left Hand Brewery to get their nitro bottles distributed out to North Carolina. Now that it's here, it was well worth the wait. If you've had LHMS in a bottle, try it again when you can find the nitro bottles, because the experience is completely different. It tastes like draft beer at home.

I'm big into stouts, but I rank this as my all-time favorite thus far.

12-14-2012 01:48:51 | More by RWLawman
tekn0ph1sh

I have had this beer on tap and out of the bottle.
I definitely have to say that on tap it is one of my favorite stouts. Out of the bottle it just isn't it good. I am guessing the additional pasteurization and preservatives in the beer detract from the smoothness and add discord to the overall experience.

It is like a smooth sweet Guinness. It is vey balanced and very drinkable. Like a chocolate mocha cappuccino with just a touch of sweetness.

Highly recommended session beer but only on tap.

If you have only tried it in the bottle do your self a favor and give it another go if you ever see it on tap at your local pub.

Ok so I just tried the Nitro bottle and it was just like on tap. Skip the standard LHMS and go for it in Nitro or on tap. I love this beer it is awesome. It's like drinking an unsweetened glass of chocolate milk. And is silky smooth going down. A definite session able stout. Highly recommended.

So I give it a 5/5 on nitro tap or nitro bottle and a 4/5 for a regular bottle.

02-02-2013 14:18:11 | More by tekn0ph1sh
CaptJackHarkness

4.93/5  rDev +24.2%

Lactose sugar apparently gives this Sout a wonderfuly full body and taste. Literally Creamy Head that lasts a decent time. Actually a surprising crisp taste especially from a dark beer!
The logo of a Red Left Hand makes me wonder if these brewers are from the O'Neill Clan of Ulster? The recipe could be based on Irish sweet stout!

08-21-2011 16:25:15 | More by CaptJackHarkness
centurian62

4.91/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

I am glad that Rockewell's in Grand Rapids, MI has had this on nitro tap for a long while. I stop in as often as I can to grab a pint because this has to be one of the best beers on the face of the planet!

When delivered, you can see the nitro bubbles exuding from the middle of the glass creating a beautiful caramel colored head. Upon first sip, you realize that the nitro has taken the original Milk Stout to a whole new level of creaminess and taste! My wife is not the biggest fan of stouts but she always humors me and tries them. This one was "the one" that has changed her mind and she even ordered her own pint!!! That is a testament to how good this beer is, because she is very picky when it comes to beer and she loves it!

02-28-2013 19:39:44 | More by centurian62
RBorsato

4.9/5  rDev +23.4%

Very dark brown with a low tan head and little to decent carbonation. Sweet and light roasty malt aromas with a touch of chocolate and coffee. Sweet malt with lots of chocolate character... leans towards an Irish Dry Stout with more body. Medium-full bodied with a creamy mouthfeel.

Maybe a Dry Stout/Sweet Stout cross... nice.

Per Label: "Milk Sugar"

Per LH website: 22 IBUs, 15.5P, 47 SRM (color)
Malts: Pale 2-row, Crystal, Munich, Roast Barley, Flaked Oats, and Chocolate

04-15-2005 19:49:10 | More by RBorsato
sinstaineddemon

Connecticut

4.9/5  rDev +23.4%

A - dark, very dark with a thin white head that disappears fast

S - wow, a rich aroma like a creamy coffee, very intense and inviting, cant wait to taste it

T - is this chilled coffee? this is great, a very rich coffee flavor with milky sweetness, very impressive

M - smooth, no bitterness, and sweet

D - highly drinkable, this could get one in trouble

03-27-2006 15:57:07 | More by sinstaineddemon
SpencerT

Bottled on 12/12/07
This Stout poured a black coffee color. It developed a 3 finger robust mocha head. Great lacing with good staying power.
The scents of chocolate, cream, and a hint of vanilla seem to be present.
The taste of smoky milk chocolate fills the palate finishing with very little bitterness. The silky smooth feel makes for perfect balance if you prefer sweeter stouts.
This is one of the best stouts that I have tried. I highly recommend this Stout.

02-07-2008 00:47:01 | More by SpencerT
undeadozzy

4.9/5  rDev +23.4%

Appearance - Pours a thick and powerful dark brown/black. Has a thin tan head which dissipates quickly, but lingers enough to leave lacing around the glass.

Smell - Chocolate is the first thing that came to my mind when I took a whiff of this stout. You can easily pick out the scents, which include but are not limited to chocolate, espresso, some licorice, and a deep rustic earthy smell, almost like burning wood.

Taste - Hedonistic! It literally tastes like chocolate milk to me. The thick rich flavor mixed with with its chocolate and lactose tones definitely give it a warm and wholesome taste.

Mouthfeel - Thick and creamy, almost milk-like.

Drinkability - Delicious, but because of its taste not something you'd want to drink at a party or during a meal. Maybe it would be a good dessert beer, or a good beer to drink with something overly flavorful, possibly to balance out the plethora of flavors in your mouth.

03-06-2010 07:02:16 | More by undeadozzy
Snow81

4.9/5  rDev +23.4%

Appearance: Dark brown glass of bubbles

Head: Crazy head! Very small bubbles and it's a glass full

Smell: Sweet milk chocolate malts with caramel

Taste: Light nuttiness with hot coco malts, so many bubbles dance on my palate with ever changing notes coming and going

Weight: Light as air. I could drink this all day long

Finish: Sweet milk chocolate with a subtle maltyness

03-27-2011 07:01:05 | More by Snow81
TheChrisBallard

4.9/5  rDev +23.4%

I saw an article about this brew in one of my beer magazines and could barely contain myself. I love stouts, I love Left Hand Brewing and I love pouring beer vigorously. With this brew you can literally turn the bottle upside down while pouring and the beer will not overflow your glass. Left Hand Brewing says they are "Taking America Back" with this brew. I might have to agree with them.

Once the glass is filled with liquid a nice creamy half-inch head forms on top of the black beer. The head is sturdy and should hold up throughout the drink. Wonderful coffee roast and chocolate aromas greet your nose as you pull the beer to your lips. Mouthfeel is very smooth and creamy. The coffee and chocolate you smelled greet your tongue in a smilar fashion as your nose, warm and inviting.

This is wonderful full-bodied brew that I would recommend to everyone

03-16-2012 16:01:28 | More by TheChrisBallard
wattoclone

4.9/5  rDev +23.4%

Thanks to the favorable reviews at BA, I was compelled to pick up a case of this sweet stout from my local distributor. To say that I was not disappointed is an understatement. It poured near black with a brown head that lasted for most of the session. Not easy to find, this is only my fourth version of this style with the most readily available being Young's Double Chocolate. So far I have been pleased to find that both of the U.S. craft versions I've tried, Widmer and Left Hand are superior in quality and drinkability. Extremely well balanced, this brew had a pleasant aroma of chocolate milk and roasted malt and a taste that can only be described as perfection. Sweet chocolate and malt predominate with a lingering cocoa aftertaste. The hops are hidden in the background which is what I look for in any stout since balance is the sign of expert brewing. A good stout should not insult with bitterness, but deliver an smooth intense flavorful experience.

Give me dark or give me death.

04-25-2013 15:30:16 | More by wattoclone
CindyH_OK

Oklahoma

4.9/5  rDev +23.4%

First review so patience please.

Appearance: Dark, near black with a 2-finger creamy tan head. Perfect for a stout.

Smell: Subtle coffee and light chocolate aroma without significant alcohol smell.

Taste: Oh so very nice and creamy smooth. A little bit sweet with a hint of sweet coffee. Mild hops in the aftertaste. No bitterness. Very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, creamy. Should have asked, but it feels like a nitro-tap without the bite of carbonation.

Overall: My first experience with a milk stout as opposed to regular stout beers. I definitely enjoyed this one and look forward to many more. While it is smooth enough to go down easily, it is enjoyable enough to want to savor. I think that I would order this over a Guinness!

08-25-2013 15:25:52 | More by CindyH_OK
Trueant1

4.88/5  rDev +22.9%

The bottle says bottled on 08/29/07 so it is 4 months old now.

Pours a dark brown. Has a thick frothy off white head that sticks around. Great lacing with some chuncks on the side of the glass.

The smell is exceptional!!! Smells of expresso beans, milk chocolate, pepper, taffy, hops, and lots more.

Taste is MMM!!! YUMMM>>> Comparable to Moylands stout. I love this one. Bitter hop balanced by very sweet chocolate malts. Espresso beans coffie and hot chocolate flavors all wraped up in a very smooth dry charachter. The only complaint is it seems a little thin to me. I could drink way to many of these.

YUMMMY! Just how a stout should be.

Note: Every thing I have tasted by left hand has been exceptional. I love the brewery as my top 5.

12-03-2007 02:07:11 | More by Trueant1
Kyrgyzbrewer

4.88/5  rDev +22.9%

If somebody wants to know what a milk stout is supposed to taste like, drink this beer. It has a nice roasted/chocolate flavor that accompanies a creaminess. The carbonation is light so as not to distract from the depth of flavors contained in this beer. It is one of my personal favorites.

01-01-2012 19:16:31 | More by Kyrgyzbrewer
tvazteca

4.85/5  rDev +22.2%

I wanna state that I already loved Left Hand Milk Stout. Stouts appearances have to be really bad for me not to give it a high score, and this doesn't disappoint, with some golden bubbles still rising from the bottom of the glass.
It's smell is of rich malts and a subtle hint of chocolate, and it really explodes from the glass.
It tastes amazing. Those rich malts follow through the taste and a hint of chocolate and the milk sugar comes through in it's finish. The Nitro makes this stout even smoother than it's predecessor, which only adds to it's overall feel.
It's an amazing Milk Stout and it got even better with the nitro. I could finish a 6 pack in an evening without thinking about it.

02-09-2012 04:43:41 | More by tvazteca
pgfault

4.85/5  rDev +22.2%

When I first had the LHMS I was blown away. The flavor and _sensation_ from the nitro tap is nearly indescribable. Nonetheless...

The pour is a std creamy stout and maintains head pretty much throughout. The nose is light stout, but the flavor on initial taste is exceptional. This is what God intended a stout to be. The finish lingers in a very good way.

Left Hand knocked this one out of the park.

06-23-2012 04:59:18 | More by pgfault
SerialHiker

Notes:
I actually tried the Milk Stout NITRO, not sure why this site has the two beers lumped together...

i served it closer to a cellar temp, cold but not from the fridge...

Appearance: Pours black…a thin (but full/dense) dark khaki colored head formed and lasted…tons of “legs” along the glass after I swirl it around…(4/5)

Smell: Deep, dark roasted malts, chocolate & coffee…some oatmeal and cream notes…sweet lactose while still having a full, dense aroma…very dark…a wonderful stout smell…(4.5/5)

Taste: Very creamy, dark roasted malts up front…tons of lactose/cream flavor…chocolate, coffee and (to a lesser extent) oatmeal notes all play a part…much like the nose, very flavorful…superb! (5/5)

Mouthfeel: Medium body…tons of fluffy carbonation creating a milkshake atmosphere on my palate…very nice…a relatively crisp finish with chocolate and lactose/cream after taste…(5/5)

Overall: Wow! This is a superb beer…the flavor and mouthfeel are wonderful (or add your favorite superlative here), creamy and smooth…many try a milk stout, but this one is on an upper echelon, top shelf serving…the bottle calls it “America’s Stout” and if this was the one stout we exported worldwide, I’d be fine with that as I’m sure Japan would be as well…it’s not a unique concept that’s going on, but a finely tuned specimen that needs no alteration (head could be thicker, but that’s the nit pickiest thing I can think of)… an outstanding brew that I couldn’t recommend higher for anybody looking for a fantastic beer or an after dinner, by the fire sipper…(4.75/5)

12-25-2012 23:11:30 | More by SerialHiker