Left Hand Milk Stout - Left Hand Brewing Company

Left Hand Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-20-2002

ROASTED MALT AND COFFEE FLAVORS BUILD THE FOUNDATION OF THIS CREAMY SWEET STOUT.

Milk sugar in your stout is like cream in your coffee. Dark and delicious, America’s great milk stout will change your perception about what a stout can be. “Preconceived notions are the blinders on the road to enlightenment.” Udderly delightful.

Collection: Perennial
Style: Sweet Stout
Color: Black, 47 SRM
Body: full
ABV: 6%
IBU's: 25
PLATO: 15.5°
PKG: 6-Pack, Keg
Malt: Pale 2-row, Crystal, Munich, Roasted Barley, Flaked Oats, Flaked Barley and Chocolate
Hops: Magnum and US Goldings
Other: Lactose
Reviews: 1,662 | Hads: 6,332

pours as a brown to dark brown look with a head. This very nice creamy malt taste. This is a very good drinkable beer. This is a very good beer. It is a very balance beer in taste. It is always with dessert. Ice cream and cake etc. I really love this beer. (256 characters)

I love this stuff and can't get enough of it. I'm lucky enough to know someone who works at Left Hand and have been to the brewery to sample all of their beers. But the Milk Stout is by far my favorite. (202 characters)

A: This had some nice smoke coming out of the bottle for starters. The appearance is a nice dark color with some crazy carbonation in the middle but not throughout. And is complimented with a thin, creamy, mocha type head.

S: Instant chocolate and caramel malts in the aroma with a hint of lactose and yeast.

T: Flavor consists of chocolate, caramel, and some roasted malts. The finish is just like a stout with that dry, bready taste.

M: Mouth feel is very smooth like drinking chocolate milk or something of that nature.

O: This is only the 2nd Milk Stout I ever had and its just as good as any other stout. Really creamy and flavorful. This is a top notch stout and I would recommend it to anyone. Great beer! (716 characters)

WOW this stout is AWSOME!!!

Aperance- Dark Black I could hardley see through the glass

Smell- Just a hint of smoke and chocolate

Taste- Smooth no bitterness with a hint of chocolate and vey nice hint of smoke

Mothfeel- Smooth vert little after taste of the chocolate, the smoke taste lingers in you mouth.

Drinkability- I could only drink one or two of these at a time due to the richness of the stout

One of the best stouts I have ever had

The more I sip on this stout the more it starts to taste like Im drinking smoke flavored chocolate milk. (553 characters)

This beer was my introduction to the world of milk stouts, and will always be a favorite beer of mine.

The first time I had it was on Co2 tap, then I had a bottle of it, and then had a nitro pour of it. All of them were awesome, but it's best on nitro.

Pours a very dark color - black I'd say, but super dark brown, nearly black, is probably more correct. Head is huge and white, with good lacing. Nitro cascade effect is, as always, awesome. Mouthfeel is super creamy/milky, as are most/all milk stouts. Aroma is of dark, roasted malts. Coffee. Chocolate.

Not much else to say; it's a milk stout, and probably the benchmark all milk stouts are measured by. Only Flat 12's come close for me - and F12 is local, so I drink it more often. (739 characters)

This is fantastic stuff! I fell in love with this beer/dessert on nitro-tap several months ago, due to it's amazing smoothness and creamy mouth feel and lovely, yet not-overpowering sweetness.

I tried this milk stout in the non-nitro bottle and was pretty disappointed because it was not the same as the nitro. However the Nitro bottle is just about as good as nitro tap and goes down so, so easily and is delicious as a milk stout.

Sometimes I want my stout to be intense, heavily roasty, and exceedingly deep in flavor, but this is not what beer is all about. It really excels at being easy, yummy, and smooth. Even a few of my friends who only drink commercial macro beers tell me this one is awesome! How about that?

Do yourself a favor and give this one a try! You won't regret it.
P.S. It is beautiful when poured vigorously into a pint glass and This one is easy to find in Chicago as of right now. (916 characters)

One of my favorite beers. Rich, thick, smooth and so creamy. This beer is great on its own, or when paired with other beers, like raspberry lambic, a white stout, or even something more exotic like well's banana bread. (219 characters)

A - Hard poor produced a pitch black in color beer. Fun to watch the "flow" from the bottom of the glass as the head grows to a two finger, khaki colored head with solid retention and moderate lacing.

S - Scents of coffee, chocolate, and cream. The smell is absolutely delicious, and only makes me that much more anxious to taste it.

T - Follows the nose with coffee and rich chocolate. However, the lactose brings out a sweetness and creaminess that brings it all together, into one ridiculously delicious experience.

M - Thick and creamy, like a milk stout should be. Especially coming from a nitro tap or nitro bottle. I've had LHMS in regular bottles, nitro taps, and in the case of this review, nitro bottles. It's hard to beat nitro tap obviously, but the nitro bottle is every bit as outstanding. Very smooth and creamy texture, making it more than sessionable.

O - I've been a huge fan of Left Hand Milk Stout for a while now, but felt that bottled LHMS really missed the mark. That was, until, I finally got my hands on Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro (bottle.) I waited a year for Left Hand Brewery to get their nitro bottles distributed out to North Carolina. Now that it's here, it was well worth the wait. If you've had LHMS in a bottle, try it again when you can find the nitro bottles, because the experience is completely different. It tastes like draft beer at home.

I'm big into stouts, but I rank this as my all-time favorite thus far. (1,455 characters)

I have had this beer on tap and out of the bottle.
I definitely have to say that on tap it is one of my favorite stouts. Out of the bottle it just isn't it good. I am guessing the additional pasteurization and preservatives in the beer detract from the smoothness and add discord to the overall experience.

It is like a smooth sweet Guinness. It is vey balanced and very drinkable. Like a chocolate mocha cappuccino with just a touch of sweetness.

Highly recommended session beer but only on tap.

If you have only tried it in the bottle do your self a favor and give it another go if you ever see it on tap at your local pub.

Ok so I just tried the Nitro bottle and it was just like on tap. Skip the standard LHMS and go for it in Nitro or on tap. I love this beer it is awesome. It's like drinking an unsweetened glass of chocolate milk. And is silky smooth going down. A definite session able stout. Highly recommended.

So I give it a 5/5 on nitro tap or nitro bottle and a 4/5 for a regular bottle. (1,010 characters)

Had this beer on tap. Maybe it's the name, but I almost felt I was drinking cold milk beer, if there is even such a thing. The beer was smooth and silky. Nice easy to drink stout, all around. I'm afraid to try it in a bottle for fear that it might taint my memory. (264 characters)

I had a sweet pint of this exciting concotion at the "Spotty Dog" in Hudson, NY. It was a very creamy, sugared, milk, dense stout who's flavor resonated in my mouth for hours after the pint was gone. I thoroughly enjoyed this one and would absolutely have another pint if I came across it in the future. A+ (306 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +26%

Simply amazing! The only thing better is the same thing in Nitro :-). Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro is the greatest stout I have ever tasted, nuff said! (150 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +25.5%

Lactose sugar apparently gives this Sout a wonderfuly full body and taste. Literally Creamy Head that lasts a decent time. Actually a surprising crisp taste especially from a dark beer!
The logo of a Red Left Hand makes me wonder if these brewers are from the O'Neill Clan of Ulster? The recipe could be based on Irish sweet stout! (331 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +25%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

I am glad that Rockewell's in Grand Rapids, MI has had this on nitro tap for a long while. I stop in as often as I can to grab a pint because this has to be one of the best beers on the face of the planet!

When delivered, you can see the nitro bubbles exuding from the middle of the glass creating a beautiful caramel colored head. Upon first sip, you realize that the nitro has taken the original Milk Stout to a whole new level of creaminess and taste! My wife is not the biggest fan of stouts but she always humors me and tries them. This one was "the one" that has changed her mind and she even ordered her own pint!!! That is a testament to how good this beer is, because she is very picky when it comes to beer and she loves it! (736 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +24.7%

Appearance - Pours a thick and powerful dark brown/black. Has a thin tan head which dissipates quickly, but lingers enough to leave lacing around the glass.

Smell - Chocolate is the first thing that came to my mind when I took a whiff of this stout. You can easily pick out the scents, which include but are not limited to chocolate, espresso, some licorice, and a deep rustic earthy smell, almost like burning wood.

Taste - Hedonistic! It literally tastes like chocolate milk to me. The thick rich flavor mixed with with its chocolate and lactose tones definitely give it a warm and wholesome taste.

Mouthfeel - Thick and creamy, almost milk-like.

Drinkability - Delicious, but because of its taste not something you'd want to drink at a party or during a meal. Maybe it would be a good dessert beer, or a good beer to drink with something overly flavorful, possibly to balance out the plethora of flavors in your mouth. (928 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +24.7%

Very dark brown with a low tan head and little to decent carbonation. Sweet and light roasty malt aromas with a touch of chocolate and coffee. Sweet malt with lots of chocolate character... leans towards an Irish Dry Stout with more body. Medium-full bodied with a creamy mouthfeel.

Maybe a Dry Stout/Sweet Stout cross... nice.

Per Label: "Milk Sugar"

Per LH website: 22 IBUs, 15.5P, 47 SRM (color)
Malts: Pale 2-row, Crystal, Munich, Roast Barley, Flaked Oats, and Chocolate
Hops: Magnum and East Kent Goldings

'03 emb. on the bottom
Tasted: 04/13/05

(22 oz.) (579 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +24.7%

A - dark, very dark with a thin white head that disappears fast

S - wow, a rich aroma like a creamy coffee, very intense and inviting, cant wait to taste it

T - is this chilled coffee? this is great, a very rich coffee flavor with milky sweetness, very impressive

M - smooth, no bitterness, and sweet

D - highly drinkable, this could get one in trouble (364 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +24.7%

First review so patience please.

Appearance: Dark, near black with a 2-finger creamy tan head. Perfect for a stout.

Smell: Subtle coffee and light chocolate aroma without significant alcohol smell.

Taste: Oh so very nice and creamy smooth. A little bit sweet with a hint of sweet coffee. Mild hops in the aftertaste. No bitterness. Very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, creamy. Should have asked, but it feels like a nitro-tap without the bite of carbonation.

Overall: My first experience with a milk stout as opposed to regular stout beers. I definitely enjoyed this one and look forward to many more. While it is smooth enough to go down easily, it is enjoyable enough to want to savor. I think that I would order this over a Guinness! (744 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +24.5%

Thanks to the favorable reviews at BA, I was compelled to pick up a case of this sweet stout from my local distributor. To say that I was not disappointed is an understatement. It poured near black with a brown head that lasted for most of the session. Not easy to find, this is only my fourth version of this style with the most readily available being Young's Double Chocolate. So far I have been pleased to find that both of the U.S. craft versions I've tried, Widmer and Left Hand are superior in quality and drinkability. Extremely well balanced, this brew had a pleasant aroma of chocolate milk and roasted malt and a taste that can only be described as perfection. Sweet chocolate and malt predominate with a lingering cocoa aftertaste. The hops are hidden in the background which is what I look for in any stout since balance is the sign of expert brewing. A good stout should not insult with bitterness, but deliver an smooth intense flavorful experience.

Give me dark or give me death. (996 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +24.5%

Appearance: Dark brown glass of bubbles

Head: Crazy head! Very small bubbles and it's a glass full

Smell: Sweet milk chocolate malts with caramel

Taste: Light nuttiness with hot coco malts, so many bubbles dance on my palate with ever changing notes coming and going

Weight: Light as air. I could drink this all day long

Finish: Sweet milk chocolate with a subtle maltyness (378 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +24.5%

I saw an article about this brew in one of my beer magazines and could barely contain myself. I love stouts, I love Left Hand Brewing and I love pouring beer vigorously. With this brew you can literally turn the bottle upside down while pouring and the beer will not overflow your glass. Left Hand Brewing says they are "Taking America Back" with this brew. I might have to agree with them.

Once the glass is filled with liquid a nice creamy half-inch head forms on top of the black beer. The head is sturdy and should hold up throughout the drink. Wonderful coffee roast and chocolate aromas greet your nose as you pull the beer to your lips. Mouthfeel is very smooth and creamy. The coffee and chocolate you smelled greet your tongue in a smilar fashion as your nose, warm and inviting.

This is wonderful full-bodied brew that I would recommend to everyone (860 characters)

Bottled on 12/12/07
This Stout poured a black coffee color. It developed a 3 finger robust mocha head. Great lacing with good staying power.
The scents of chocolate, cream, and a hint of vanilla seem to be present.
The taste of smoky milk chocolate fills the palate finishing with very little bitterness. The silky smooth feel makes for perfect balance if you prefer sweeter stouts.
This is one of the best stouts that I have tried. I highly recommend this Stout. (463 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +24.2%

The bottle says bottled on 08/29/07 so it is 4 months old now.

Pours a dark brown. Has a thick frothy off white head that sticks around. Great lacing with some chuncks on the side of the glass.

The smell is exceptional!!! Smells of expresso beans, milk chocolate, pepper, taffy, hops, and lots more.

Taste is MMM!!! YUMMM>>> Comparable to Moylands stout. I love this one. Bitter hop balanced by very sweet chocolate malts. Espresso beans coffie and hot chocolate flavors all wraped up in a very smooth dry charachter. The only complaint is it seems a little thin to me. I could drink way to many of these.

YUMMMY! Just how a stout should be.

Note: Every thing I have tasted by left hand has been exceptional. I love the brewery as my top 5. (758 characters)

4.86/5  rDev +24%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

The first time I tried this beer I nearly cried tears of joy. Simply the best milk stout I've had to date. It had the smoothest feel and the taste was incredible. I prefer this version to their nitro version which is also a good beer. If you're a fan of milk stouts and want one that will rock your socks off, this is a stout that you must try. (348 characters)

4.86/5  rDev +24%

Dark, sweet, smooth, creamy and delicious . It could have a bit more body, the thin consistency doesn't match the richness of the beer. This is in my house at all times, one of my favorites. (190 characters)

Left Hand Milk Stout from Left Hand Brewing Company