Left Hand Milk Stout - Left Hand Brewing Company

Left Hand Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-20-2002

ROASTED MALT AND COFFEE FLAVORS BUILD THE FOUNDATION OF THIS CREAMY SWEET STOUT.

Milk sugar in your stout is like cream in your coffee. Dark and delicious, America’s great milk stout will change your perception about what a stout can be. “Preconceived notions are the blinders on the road to enlightenment.” Udderly delightful.

Collection: Perennial
Style: Sweet Stout
Color: Black, 47 SRM
Body: full
ABV: 6%
IBU's: 25
PLATO: 15.5°
PKG: 6-Pack, Keg
Malt: Pale 2-row, Crystal, Munich, Roasted Barley, Flaked Oats, Flaked Barley and Chocolate
Hops: Magnum and US Goldings
Other: Lactose
Ratings: 6,293 | Reviews: 1,744

pours as a brown to dark brown look with a head. This very nice creamy malt taste. This is a very good drinkable beer. This is a very good beer. It is a very balance beer in taste. It is always with dessert. Ice cream and cake etc. I really love this beer.

I love this stuff and can't get enough of it. I'm lucky enough to know someone who works at Left Hand and have been to the brewery to sample all of their beers. But the Milk Stout is by far my favorite.

A: This had some nice smoke coming out of the bottle for starters. The appearance is a nice dark color with some crazy carbonation in the middle but not throughout. And is complimented with a thin, creamy, mocha type head.

S: Instant chocolate and caramel malts in the aroma with a hint of lactose and yeast.

T: Flavor consists of chocolate, caramel, and some roasted malts. The finish is just like a stout with that dry, bready taste.

M: Mouth feel is very smooth like drinking chocolate milk or something of that nature.

O: This is only the 2nd Milk Stout I ever had and its just as good as any other stout. Really creamy and flavorful. This is a top notch stout and I would recommend it to anyone. Great beer!

Probably their best beer overall. Great taste, look, smell, etc. Highly recommended

Smooth and creamy with a velvety finish, no bitterness.

THEE milk stout if you ask me

Extremely smooth taste. I love the full body as well. Notes of coffee and a very creamy finish.

This is a great Milk Stout -

WOW this stout is AWSOME!!!

Aperance- Dark Black I could hardley see through the glass

Smell- Just a hint of smoke and chocolate

Taste- Smooth no bitterness with a hint of chocolate and vey nice hint of smoke

Mothfeel- Smooth vert little after taste of the chocolate, the smoke taste lingers in you mouth.

Drinkability- I could only drink one or two of these at a time due to the richness of the stout

One of the best stouts I have ever had

The more I sip on this stout the more it starts to taste like Im drinking smoke flavored chocolate milk.

Even better on nitro.

This is my all time fave!

This beer was my introduction to the world of milk stouts, and will always be a favorite beer of mine.

The first time I had it was on Co2 tap, then I had a bottle of it, and then had a nitro pour of it. All of them were awesome, but it's best on nitro.

Pours a very dark color - black I'd say, but super dark brown, nearly black, is probably more correct. Head is huge and white, with good lacing. Nitro cascade effect is, as always, awesome. Mouthfeel is super creamy/milky, as are most/all milk stouts. Aroma is of dark, roasted malts. Coffee. Chocolate.

Not much else to say; it's a milk stout, and probably the benchmark all milk stouts are measured by. Only Flat 12's come close for me - and F12 is local, so I drink it more often.

My favorite beer I've ever tried.

This is fantastic stuff! I fell in love with this beer/dessert on nitro-tap several months ago, due to it's amazing smoothness and creamy mouth feel and lovely, yet not-overpowering sweetness.

I tried this milk stout in the non-nitro bottle and was pretty disappointed because it was not the same as the nitro. However the Nitro bottle is just about as good as nitro tap and goes down so, so easily and is delicious as a milk stout.

Sometimes I want my stout to be intense, heavily roasty, and exceedingly deep in flavor, but this is not what beer is all about. It really excels at being easy, yummy, and smooth. Even a few of my friends who only drink commercial macro beers tell me this one is awesome! How about that?

Do yourself a favor and give this one a try! You won't regret it.
P.S. It is beautiful when poured vigorously into a pint glass and This one is easy to find in Chicago as of right now.

One of my favorite beers. Rich, thick, smooth and so creamy. This beer is great on its own, or when paired with other beers, like raspberry lambic, a white stout, or even something more exotic like well's banana bread.

A - Hard poor produced a pitch black in color beer. Fun to watch the "flow" from the bottom of the glass as the head grows to a two finger, khaki colored head with solid retention and moderate lacing.

S - Scents of coffee, chocolate, and cream. The smell is absolutely delicious, and only makes me that much more anxious to taste it.

T - Follows the nose with coffee and rich chocolate. However, the lactose brings out a sweetness and creaminess that brings it all together, into one ridiculously delicious experience.

M - Thick and creamy, like a milk stout should be. Especially coming from a nitro tap or nitro bottle. I've had LHMS in regular bottles, nitro taps, and in the case of this review, nitro bottles. It's hard to beat nitro tap obviously, but the nitro bottle is every bit as outstanding. Very smooth and creamy texture, making it more than sessionable.

O - I've been a huge fan of Left Hand Milk Stout for a while now, but felt that bottled LHMS really missed the mark. That was, until, I finally got my hands on Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro (bottle.) I waited a year for Left Hand Brewery to get their nitro bottles distributed out to North Carolina. Now that it's here, it was well worth the wait. If you've had LHMS in a bottle, try it again when you can find the nitro bottles, because the experience is completely different. It tastes like draft beer at home.

I'm big into stouts, but I rank this as my all-time favorite thus far.

I have had this beer on tap and out of the bottle.
I definitely have to say that on tap it is one of my favorite stouts. Out of the bottle it just isn't it good. I am guessing the additional pasteurization and preservatives in the beer detract from the smoothness and add discord to the overall experience.

It is like a smooth sweet Guinness. It is vey balanced and very drinkable. Like a chocolate mocha cappuccino with just a touch of sweetness.

Highly recommended session beer but only on tap.

If you have only tried it in the bottle do your self a favor and give it another go if you ever see it on tap at your local pub.

Ok so I just tried the Nitro bottle and it was just like on tap. Skip the standard LHMS and go for it in Nitro or on tap. I love this beer it is awesome. It's like drinking an unsweetened glass of chocolate milk. And is silky smooth going down. A definite session able stout. Highly recommended.

So I give it a 5/5 on nitro tap or nitro bottle and a 4/5 for a regular bottle.

One of the best beers you will ever put your lips on if you haven't had it get it

Had this beer on tap. Maybe it's the name, but I almost felt I was drinking cold milk beer, if there is even such a thing. The beer was smooth and silky. Nice easy to drink stout, all around. I'm afraid to try it in a bottle for fear that it might taint my memory.

I had a sweet pint of this exciting concotion at the "Spotty Dog" in Hudson, NY. It was a very creamy, sugared, milk, dense stout who's flavor resonated in my mouth for hours after the pint was gone. I thoroughly enjoyed this one and would absolutely have another pint if I came across it in the future. A+

Perfection simply put!

4.94/5  rDev +24.1%

Simply amazing! The only thing better is the same thing in Nitro :-). Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro is the greatest stout I have ever tasted, nuff said!

4.92/5  rDev +23.6%

Just a delicious, somewhat sweet beer.

4.92/5  rDev +23.6%

Lactose sugar apparently gives this Sout a wonderfuly full body and taste. Literally Creamy Head that lasts a decent time. Actually a surprising crisp taste especially from a dark beer!
The logo of a Red Left Hand makes me wonder if these brewers are from the O'Neill Clan of Ulster? The recipe could be based on Irish sweet stout!

4.91/5  rDev +23.4%

Best Milk Stout I have had.

Left Hand Milk Stout from Left Hand Brewing Company