Left Hand Milk Stout - Left Hand Brewing Company

Left Hand Milk StoutLeft Hand Milk Stout

Left Hand Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  6.00% ABV

ROASTED MALT AND COFFEE FLAVORS BUILD THE FOUNDATION OF THIS CREAMY SWEET STOUT.

Milk sugar in your stout is like cream in your coffee. Dark and delicious, America’s great milk stout will change your perception about what a stout can be. “Preconceived notions are the blinders on the road to enlightenment.” Udderly delightful.

Collection: Perennial
Style: Sweet Stout
Color: Black, 47 SRM
Body: full
ABV: 6%
IBU's: 25
PLATO: 15.5°
PKG: 6-Pack, Keg
Malt: Pale 2-row, Crystal, Munich, Roasted Barley, Flaked Oats, Flaked Barley and Chocolate
Hops: Magnum and US Goldings
Other: Lactose

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-20-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

10-19-2013 20:34:28 | More by JJStout83
cadizkyguy

Kentucky

4.8/5  rDev +20.9%

If you enjoy stouts or dark beers, this is a must try... i've put off trying this beer for the longest time and have no clue why. it is a magical beer.

Best part of this beer is the smell and taste. I poured a chilled bottle into a snifter and i love to smell away... my favorite part of a nicely crafted beer.

the coffee undertones are wonderful, both in smell and taste. Not overpowering at all. Roastiness of this beer also is spot on.

Again, if you've passed on this beer before, i suggest you pick up a six pack and enjoy. an excellent beer, my first from left hand.

12-15-2012 06:03:53 | More by cadizkyguy
Tarps68

02-22-2014 02:00:40 | More by Tarps68
gabe23

4.05/5  rDev +2%

A - Black in color with the slightest bit of brown peeking through around the edges. Light brown head that fades quickly but leaves nice lacing.

S - Mild aroma of sweet malt, toasted bread, and dark chocolate. Very nice.

T - Loads of sweet, chocolaty goodness up front. Just when I was worried it might be too sweet, the roasted malt and black coffee bitterness kicks in.

M - Very smooth with medium body and just a touch of carbonation. Slightly oily coating left in the mouth.

D - I'm not a huge fan of milk stouts, but I really liked this one. I could easily put away a few at a sitting.

08-26-2009 01:17:43 | More by gabe23
MOB210SA

3.95/5  rDev -0.5%

I didn't used to imagine going out and getting a milk stout, just from the name. After trying SA's Cream Stout I found out they're not too bad. My first beer from Left Hand BC.

12 oz bottle. Bottled 11 03 09

Decided to pour this into a regular Fireman's 4 pint glass. Pretty solid puffy creamy-tan/brown 2 finger head flared up quick, and died down to about half size. Good amount of lacing is being left down the sides. Dark brown with cherry wood highlights when back lit.

Good muted chocolate nose, with some coffee and some roasted malts. Smells almost exactly like the SA which is good, because they both smell pretty good. I'm thinking these are the solid foundation noses of milk stouts.

Dark chocolate taste with a milk chocolate like sweetness. A mild good tasting coffee finish lingers for a moment. Generally from my memory, I'm not sure If I could tell these two apart. Very similar. I think I might be enjoying this a little more though. Also, strikingly similar to the Vanilla Porter from Breckenridge. More prominent flavors came out with warming.

Good creamy carbonation and mouthfeel. Smooth and drinkable alike with any good stout. The "milk" part of the stout, is what I think makes this beer lighter bodied than just a normal stout.

I only bought one of these, but it went pretty quick. Id say this is a pretty drinkable, but I'm just not sure how many I would want..

Good effort from Left Hand, I will be sure to try some of their other offerings.

02-15-2010 17:34:16 | More by MOB210SA
Trizzle

United Kingdom (England)

4.1/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured aggressively by the barman @ The Rake, borough Market. 1 finger head, fading to a thin layer of swirling bubbles. Laces nicely. Opaque black, some red highlights through the last few mouthfulls.

Not a huge aroma. Light roasted malts and some cocoa. Inviting.

Sweet toasty malt, a little chocolate up front. Even milk (subliminal?) - the real, full cream variety. Roasted malt bitterness, balanced nicely with a light citrus and some more residual sweetness.

Body is smooth and medium thick. Not as chewy as I was expecting, but then I'm a pig for chewy stouts.

Could drink till the cows come home. So to speak.

01-09-2010 15:26:19 | More by Trizzle
crewfan16

3.23/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Purchased a six-er on a recommendation from a buddy for $9, so the price point wasnt too bad. Poured aggressively into a pint glass. I dont quite know what to expect out of this one, as I havent tried this style in quite a while. Pretty cool label on this one though with a cow with black hands on it instead of spots. Being from Wisconsin, I can appreciate this sort of label.

a-thick frothy, light brown head that holds for quite a while and left some lacing as it retreated. The beer is a dark, dark brown color, almost black. Very little light gets through this one.

s-i dont really get much of a nose off of this guy. real light cocoa and roasted character. Sort of a surprise to me.

t-again, im not getting as much out of this beer as I had expected. some chocolate notes, some toasted malts. Very little in the way of anything resembling milk or any of those flavors. There is a nice richness to it, but nothing that blows me away

m-this was my favorite part of the beer. great balance of carbonation and weight. Very creamy feel in my mouth. Makes me want to swish it around in my mouth and froth it up, then drink it down.

overall, a very good beer and very drinkable. The sixer it came it proclaimed it as "the best stout in America" so I obviously had high hopes going in. Having just tasted another stout before this one, I can say in my opinion, their sixer box lies. A good drinkable stout, but not one I would go out of my way to get my hands on again.

05-28-2011 02:05:23 | More by crewfan16

District of Columbia

11-24-2013 20:10:04 | More by VictorFranco
Northsider

4.22/5  rDev +6.3%

A really good stout this is. I had it on-tap in Chicago, as well as from a bottle later, but I will review the on-tap.

A - black, almost dark brown color, with a tan head. Head disappeared quickly...I would have liked this to stick around a bit longer.

S - smelled of coffee and chocolate, but overpoweringly so, as in some chocolate stouts.

T - Not as much taste as I would have hoped, and a slight bitter aftertaste. The aftertaste doesn't destroy the beer in my opinion, but I could do with a more subtle bitter finish

M - Creamy and smooth, but not as much as I would have hoped

O - Overall a good beer, I'd try again and again, but again not my favorite stout.

05-04-2011 13:03:28 | More by Northsider

4.5/5  rDev +13.4%

03-26-2014 02:23:56 | More by Srecko
Bcant

3.18/5  rDev -19.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a standard pint glass; label notes that this beer was bottled on 8/12/05, a little under a month before perchance and consumption.

A mahogany color that glows ruby red when put to light. The head is small and the color of coffee ice cream but remains as the beer is drunk. The nose is dominated by sweet chocolate but underlined with sour milk. The taste is a little flat, with very little hop bitterness, but this is not untypical for the style. The aftertaste is very yeasty, which makes me wonder if there are live cultures but no sentiment is present. The feels smooth and chewy, quite drinkable.

When I got this beer, I was told by the shop clerk that it would be the best milk stout I have ever tasted. I will have to disagree, but it should not be avoided either.

10-10-2005 04:19:31 | More by Bcant
Big78CJ

4.47/5  rDev +12.6%

I drank this beer out of the firkin at Aroma's in Athens, GA - the only place in the universe (sounds cooler than world) to get a cask of Milk Stout. According to the spiel, this was the first time Left Hand put their Milk Stout in a cask and it was a true success. Aroma's got the only cask from what I was told. I am reviewing this beer as it tastes on cask, in comparison with how it tastes in bottle or on draft.

The brew poured a nice black pint glass with a little smattering of tan bubbles around the edge of the glass. It was slightly chilled; not too much to make it cold, mind you. The smell was of coffee/espresso malts with a rich burnt aroma. The taste was similar, combined with an added creaminess from the lactose sugar. Very well-rounded and beautifully balanced. What i noticed most about this beer as opposed to its bottled or kegged bretheren was that it was way more sessionable. While the regular milk stout is one of my favorite stouts and I could see myself drinking a sixer on a winter night, I would not want to repeat the occasion soon after. On the other hand with this cask of Milk Stout I could come to the bar every day and get a few pints without spoiling dinner. While I imagine it was still high calorie (milk stout and all), the beer felt very light on the palate comapred to its thicker brothers. I was very impressed and hope that Left Hand keeps up the good work (and Aroma's keeps continuing to impress me).

Let's all hail Sachin Patel as the god of beer supply in Athens, GA.

Serving type: cask

08-09-2007 01:41:20 | More by Big78CJ
shabbtastic

4.2/5  rDev +5.8%

A - Poured a deep dark brown (almost black) into a tulip glass. Great two finger tan head the faded slowly into a medium sized cap.

S - Rich roasted malts of chocolate and coffee. The smell reminded me of a frapachino from starbucks.

T - A robust roasted malt up front with a trail of creamy silk that followed. Sweet nutty finish made it perfect for an after dinner drink.

M - Full bodied and creamy texture on the palate. Low carbonation made it extra smooth.

D - Very enjoyable beer. Great milk stout, sweet and rich made it a very drinkable beer. Highly recommended.

04-17-2008 12:33:17 | More by shabbtastic
Philabeerphia

3.85/5  rDev -3%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip. Very clear bottled on dated 12/19/09. Soft pour reveals deep shades of opaque brown with crimson edges... and 1/2 finger of floating khaki head, a flotsam of lacing above that holds up surprisingly well. A lack of viscosity as the beer moves in the glass hints at a lighter body.

Smells of smoked almonds floating above caramel creaminess. Echoes of coffee and cocoa provide a full nose.

Starts with a punch of lactose. Movement in the mouth opens things up into some coffee and sweet tobacco. Brightens at the top of the mouth - a surprisingly sweet & full whipped cream middle yields to a slightly chalky, dry finish. Earthy and warm, tobacco and light hops hang around the throat. The medium carbonation is essential and in fact I would like to see even more to clean things up. I'd also like to see the dry finish go deeper and more complex.

Overall the beer is extremely enjoyable, easy to sip on a cozy night.

03-31-2010 02:05:09 | More by Philabeerphia
DrewBest

02-02-2014 00:28:46 | More by DrewBest
tstigz

07-19-2013 01:59:07 | More by tstigz
PacNWDad

Washington

3.65/5  rDev -8.1%

I had the regular Milk Stout, not the Nitro. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass. About 1/2" tan head, which dissipates quickly leaving lace up the sides of the glass. Aroma is about what you would expect with a stout - coffee-like black patent malt is clear from the roasting. Some dark chocolate and toffee. Not much grassy, citrus or floral notes from the hops though - I would usually expect a bit more in a stout. Taste is very sweet due to lactose, also with strong malty and roasted flavor you would expect with a stout. Very little bitterness from the hops to counteract the sweetness. Mouthfeel is robust, heavy with moderate to light carbonation. Overall, I like it - there are not many milk stouts out there and this is a good one!

11-07-2012 02:29:29 | More by PacNWDad
beerbiatchMD

Maine

4.1/5  rDev +3.3%

12 oz bottle into a tasting glass.

A: dark brown--almost black. Not much foam or head, the small amount of brown head sticks around for just a bit.

S: coffee, malty, hints of grainy chocolate.

T: definite malty coffee up front but not overpowering. Some cocoa as well. Ends bitter.

M: pretty crisp for a stout owing to the good carbonation. Full bodied, deep.

O: a very good dark beer, would highly recommend.

12-23-2011 03:48:47 | More by beerbiatchMD