Left Hand Milk Stout - Left Hand Brewing Company

Left Hand Milk StoutLeft Hand Milk Stout

Left Hand Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  6.00% ABV

ROASTED MALT AND COFFEE FLAVORS BUILD THE FOUNDATION OF THIS CREAMY SWEET STOUT.

Milk sugar in your stout is like cream in your coffee. Dark and delicious, America’s great milk stout will change your perception about what a stout can be. “Preconceived notions are the blinders on the road to enlightenment.” Udderly delightful.

Collection: Perennial
Style: Sweet Stout
Color: Black, 47 SRM
Body: full
ABV: 6%
IBU's: 25
PLATO: 15.5°
PKG: 6-Pack, Keg
Malt: Pale 2-row, Crystal, Munich, Roasted Barley, Flaked Oats, Flaked Barley and Chocolate
Hops: Magnum and US Goldings
Other: Lactose

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-20-2002)
brahdeel

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

01-12-2012 17:37:02 | More by brahdeel
stealth

4.72/5  rDev +18.6%

Bottle into tulip.

Dark pour with a tan head - little bit of light gets through. Looks real tasty. Chocolate, subtle roast, some coffee in the aroma. Real creamy taste - definitely 'feel' the milkiness to it. Love the chocolate tones. One of my favorite standbys.

01-12-2012 11:44:32 | More by stealth
sobeleg

01-12-2012 04:38:39 | More by sobeleg
TexAggie011

01-11-2012 22:36:39 | More by TexAggie011
Ryanm1

4.13/5  rDev +3.8%

It's cold outside and you know that means its stout season in the northeast.

This left hand milk stout was pour from a bottle into a pint glass. It comes out as black and night and when holding up to the light it can barely be seen through. The foam on the head wasn't too thick or high and disapated quickly.

The head was a darkbrowinsh black color. Definite coffee tones when sniffed; malty smell. Tasted while really cold. Doesn't taste too thick.

Creamy like a guiness even though not from the NO2 tap or Nitro bottle. Says its about 160 calories and not very bitter only about a 23 in IBU.

01-11-2012 22:08:19 | More by Ryanm1
emounger

Oklahoma

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

01-11-2012 18:21:13 | More by emounger
GarthDanielson

3.85/5  rDev -3.3%

Going to take another crack at this one, but on nitro this time. Served in a true pint, the beer is jet black in the depths, with a good, bright, ruby refraction on the edges. The foamy, dense head is no joke, and after the cascade, it settles in to a good half inch of beauty. Aromas are heavy on the dark roasted coffee, with a hint of cocoa nib. The beer is ridiculously smooth in mouth, but a little light for the style. Flavors are blended much better than out of the bottle, with the coffee foundation giving rise to some creamy sweet overtones and a subtle vanilla highlight. This beer clings all over the glass. Overall, there is a much better balance and progression on nitro. The aftertaste is light roasting and deliciously sweet, with a smooth, creamy finish. This beer was built for a nitro tap.

01-11-2012 18:07:35 | More by GarthDanielson
jmarklan

3.63/5  rDev -8.8%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a thick black color that lets very little light through. Dense tan head that has decent retention and moderate lacing.

S: Lots of chocolate, espresso, a bit roasty.

T: Tastes like liquid chocolate blended with some espresso. Very sweet, a bit roasty in the finish.

M: The mouthfeel is velvety smooth, but feels thin and a bit watery. There's also very little carbonation, which leaves it a bit flat.

Overall: The mouthfeel is weak but the flavors are very nice. Not bad at all.

01-11-2012 02:50:09 | More by jmarklan

2.5/5  rDev -37.2%

01-10-2012 14:32:32 | More by WestSideAmish
airforbes1

3.88/5  rDev -2.5%

I'm conducting a three-way taste test of milk stouts tonight. This is the third beer in the line up, with the others being Butternuts' Moo Thunder Stout and Keegan Ales' Mother's Milk Stout.

I should say that I've held this bottle since August and the other two beers may have a freshness edge. That said, I can only go off what's in front of me. The head was weak from the beginning and soon vanished. There's also a visible sepia color at the top of the beer, even before I hold it to the light.

The aroma seems to have faded, BUT the little I do smell does smell milk chocolate. Or should I say chocolate milk? The other two had stronger aromas, but this one has more of a MILK stout thing going on. I'm giving it a 3.5 for the aroma even though it's weak just because the little that's there IS what I'm looking for in a milk stout.

Of the three, this one is definitely the milkiest. I can't detect many flavors on the front end, but some creaminess really shines through at the end.

My appearance and aroma scores might drag down this beer a little bit, but of the three beers, I think this one fits the style best. I'd like to try this beer from a nitro bottle, but I haven't been able to find any Left Hand products on Long Island.

01-10-2012 05:34:15 | More by airforbes1

01-09-2012 19:19:39 | More by Kahlerbock
hopsolutely

Ontario (Canada)

3.83/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours a clear but opaque black into a pint glass with very little head. Hints of brown amber when held to the light, but otherwise pitch black.

Although I realize this is a "milk stout", have never enjoyed such a custardy / milk-centred aroma in a beer before. Fascinating. The flavour is more malt-forward, with roasted and toasted notes of chocolate and coffee. Much lactose and very smooth, but not as creamy a mouthfeel as I'd expected.

Would love to track down the nitrogen pour of this beer!

01-08-2012 20:20:15 | More by hopsolutely

kevgod

01-07-2012 17:27:00 | More by kevgod
StoutHunter

3.18/5  rDev -20.1%

I picked up a bottle of Left Hand's Milk Stout last week for $1.89 at The Lager Mill. I have had this beer many times a couple years ago and I thought it was good, but I haven't revisited it since Left Hand started distributing in Michigan so I thought I should sit down and give it a proper review, so lets see how it goes. Bottled on September 2011. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- I like the label on this beer much more then the old one, it looks better and is much more eye catching. It poured a nice black color that let just a slight amount of light through to make for some slightly ruby colored edges at the bottom of the glass and it had one fingers worth of tan head that quickly died down to a thin ring. This color looks good but the head is disappointing.

S- The first thing that I pick up in the aroma is a large amount of roasted dark malts that impart a nice mixture of milk chocolate and coffee aroma with just a slight hint of some caramel along with some roasted grain aromas. There was medium amount of lactose sweetness that gives this beer a slightly cream aroma that goes nicely with the other aromas and I didn't get any hops in the aroma of this beer. This is just what a Milk Stout should smell like.

T- The taste of this beer is pretty similar to the aroma but not as robust. It starts off with some roasted dark malts that impart some chocolate and coffee flavors with the chocolate sticking out the most but as a whole the flavors are lighter then I remember and not as robust. I also get some of that lactose towards the end that gives this beer a slightly sweet and creamy finish with a very low amount of bitterness and a roasty and chocolaty aftertaste. The flavor is Ok and similar to what I remember but it isn't nearly as robust and I think that can be blamed on the age.

M- Smooth, slightly creamy, on the light side of being medium bodied and a high amount of medium carbonation that was pretty prickly. It was a little watery and the prickly carbonation was out of place and didn't let the creamyness of this beer come through like it should.

Overall I thought that this was a slightly above average Milk Stout. All the nice flavors that I remembered showed up but they were much lighter and not nearly as robust as I remember them being, but the lactose sweetness still showed up as I remember and it was just the right amount. This beer has pretty good drinkability, it goes down smooth, isn't thick, but the lightness of flavor would bore me, after one I am ready to move onto something else. What I liked most about this beer was the aroma, it was just as I remember and was pretty damn good. What I liked least about this beer was the taste and mouthfeel, the flavors were much lighter then they should be and the mouthfeel left a lot to be desired. If I knew this was fresh I would buy it again, but I will be leery about buying this with over a couple months age. I recommend giving this a try, its a good example of Milk Stout, but make sure it is fresh. This beer wasn't as great as I remember and I think most of that has to do with the age, I had to hold it right up to light bulb to see the date and even then it was pretty smudged and not easy to read. You would think four months wouldn't hurt this beer that much but it is pretty obvious that the roast flavors faded quickly in this beer. I am going to try and get a fresh bottle and re-review it but I think that Left Hand needs to date their bottles better, when it's fresh this is a great example of a Milk Stout, but with four months on it it turns into something that isn't that impressive. As far as I can tell this beer needs be treated almost like an IPA and consumed fresh for best results. I checked the website and they don't tell you how long this beer can last, which sucks, I hope the nitro bottles make to my area soon, I bet this beer would be great in a fresh nitro bottle.

01-07-2012 05:26:27 | More by StoutHunter

01-07-2012 02:09:49 | More by adiamant1989
Ruger

Kentucky

3.65/5  rDev -8.3%

A - Pours a black with a dark brown hue, with a half finger cocoa colored head that goes away quickly leaving very light spotted lacing.

S - Roasted coffee and sweet chocolate.

T - Tastes like coffee, dark chocolate and vanilla just like the smell its really sweet and the coffee presence is stronger then I expected for a milk stout, finishes really creamy.

M - Medium bodied with light carbonation.

01-07-2012 02:01:10 | More by Ruger