Left Hand Milk Stout - Left Hand Brewing Company

Left Hand Milk StoutLeft Hand Milk Stout

Left Hand Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  6.00% ABV

ROASTED MALT AND COFFEE FLAVORS BUILD THE FOUNDATION OF THIS CREAMY SWEET STOUT.

Milk sugar in your stout is like cream in your coffee. Dark and delicious, America’s great milk stout will change your perception about what a stout can be. “Preconceived notions are the blinders on the road to enlightenment.” Udderly delightful.

Collection: Perennial
Style: Sweet Stout
Color: Black, 47 SRM
Body: full
ABV: 6%
IBU's: 25
PLATO: 15.5°
PKG: 6-Pack, Keg
Malt: Pale 2-row, Crystal, Munich, Roasted Barley, Flaked Oats, Flaked Barley and Chocolate
Hops: Magnum and US Goldings
Other: Lactose

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-20-2002)
3.68/5  rDev -7.5%

Poured from a growler into a snifter.

A: Very black pour. A hint of light coming through giving some deep red highlights. One finger mocha colored head with great retention and awesome lacing.

S: Roasted and smoked malts. Chocolate. Cream, like coffee creamer. Not a huge aroma but not to light either.

T: Taste is a tad light. Sweet chocolate and cream upfront. A light roasty bitterness in the middle, with a light smokiness also. A coffee creamer flavor in the finish.

M: Full to medium bodied. Very creamy and smooth. Great mouth coating. A tad high on the carbonation.

O: This is a good beer. A bit subdued on aroma and flavor, but definitely easy drinking. Worth a shot.

doughanson78, Sep 10, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +16.8%

Tried this for the first time tonight in a 12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. A sixer was 10.99. Pours dark dark brown more like a robust porter than a stout with a wonderful nutty coffee smell. Taste is quite malty and nutty with a slightly sweet finish. Very drinkable and very tasty. I like this beer a lot. It would be great with a dark chocolate or chocolate covered cherries. Kind of a "dessert beer" but seasionable as well. Very good.

Sdesenberg, Sep 08, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +6%

Pours jet black with a paper thin head into my ccb snifter aroma of roasted malts, caramel. Almost like roasted marshmallows. Taste follows the nose, sweet but not overdone, finishes roasty and a bit dry making me come back for more. Very delicious, my go to milk stout

jcartamdg, Sep 04, 2011

pours as a brown to dark brown look with a head. This very nice creamy malt taste. This is a very good drinkable beer. This is a very good beer. It is a very balance beer in taste. It is always with dessert. Ice cream and cake etc. I really love this beer.

chicagobill13, Sep 03, 2011
3.93/5  rDev -1.3%

Pours a dark reddish/brown color with a one finger tan head. The aroma is cafe con leche. I don't really get any chocolate notes, just coffee with cream and sugar. The taste follows suit.It's slightly sweet, but the sweetness is balanced by a nice roasted bitterness. The mouthfeel is surprisingly light and so is the body. Carbonation is minimal. This is a tasty beer and is enjoyed best for dessert or with with dessert.

hmf05, Sep 03, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +1.8%

A: Pours out a root beer color but black once inside the glass. I managed a long-lasting two finger tan head that hung around for a while. Very good lacing.

S: Lots of roasted and chocolate malt with a little smokiness hanging around. Lactose is noticeable, adding some sweetness and a creamy smell.

T: This is very creamy, one of the more generous uses of lactose in a milk stout. Cocoa, a well-chosen variety of malts, and milk make up most of the flavor. This has a slight amount of bitterness, I presume its from the light char they gave the malts.

M: Robust and soft. A smooth, velvety mouthfeel make this one of my favorites.

O: This is one of the finest examples of the style. A great valued six pack beer that I could drink all night long. I can't find much of a flaw.

schwaeh, Sep 02, 2011
3.95/5  rDev -0.8%

Pours a deep, dirty oil black, with minimal creamy tan head and fair lacing. Aroma is of a malty earthiness, with nuts, coffee, and a hint of vanilla. Mouthfeel is medium bodied. Taste is also earthy, with a nuttiness on top of some strong coffee flavors and a hint of hops. This is overall lighter than some stouts but very good indeed.

surprenant1138, Sep 01, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -2%

Poured from a bottle dated 6/18/11 into a SA perfect pint glass. I allowed this beer to warm for 20 minutes after removing it from the fridge.

Poured very dark brown, but not quite as black as some stouts I have had. Ruby hues around the glass edges as I hold it to the light. 1 1/2" of heavy cream colored head that receded to a modest cap in about 5 minutes. Decent lacing.

Smell is roasted malts and bitter coco. I also think I can smell the lactose sugar as this is a unique smell that I only get in this style.

Taste follows the nose to a perfect T. Bitter chocolate, roasted malt, and a hint of coffee on the tail end, after I swallow and take a few breaths. Mild and very drinkable for a stout. I think I could drink several at one sitting.

Mouthfeel is very thin and watery. Doesn't seem to have a lot of carbonation, but I also poured this bottle rather aggressively.

Overall it was a great representation of the style and I will be enjoying this beer many more times in the future. I seem to remember the first time I had this, it was better. This might be due to freshness.

haywire77, Aug 31, 2011
4.01/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I got other things to do, so this review will be very, very, very short. Or maybe not, I don't know. Excited to perhaps have a good, sweet stout. I poured it into a snifter.

Milk Stout pours an opaque black color with just a semblance of brown. Very little head that's off-white. The lack of head really drags it down a bit in my eyes. The beer doesn't look dynamic.

I don't smell anything too amazing here. It's all a little faint and reserved, but there is a nice balance of sweet, roasted malts, a little chocolate and milk to give it a smoothness I really like.

I doesn't really come at your taste buds head-on, but it has a very pleasant and pleasing taste that really lives up to its namesake. Some roasted bitterness offsets the sweet, smoothness of milk and a hint of chocolate. Nothing mind-blowing, but a simple delight.

A tad watery, but still pretty creamy and really full-bodied enough. It's helped by some surprisingly active carbonation that really livens the beer up.

My first experience with Left Hand doesn't blow me away, but it's a great, simple beer to just sit back with and relax with. It delivers on the sweet side, which I always enjoy in a stout and is incredibly drinkable.

mmva321, Aug 29, 2011
3.15/5  rDev -20.9%

I've reviewed quite a few stouts recently, but this is not only the first "milk stout" that I've reviewed, it's also the first I've ever tasted. Adhering to my previous view-point that a stout is a stout, I'm just going to review this stout like it were any other.

Poured from a bottle into a room temperature, wide-mouthed glass.

-Appearance 3.5: Very dark brown liquid. I wouldn't necessarily call this color "black," but it is close. Try as I might, I couldn't get any head to form. At all.

-Smell 2.0: Very little bouquet on this beer after it was poured. I could pick up just the hint of chocolate, but it was just a hint. Strange.

-Taste 3.5: Very subdued taste. I tasted the usual, wonderful stout ingredients: chocolate, smoky grains, some hops, but all of it was very subdued. This beer is also very, very smooth. Almost like drinking milk; must be the milk sugar. Almost no noticeable carbonation. Maybe this was an effort on the brewer's part to make the stout seem like it came from the tap. Aftertaste is distracting: flat and yeasty.

-Mouthfeel 3.0: The smoothness in the taste translates into the mouth feel. However, I found the lack of carbonation took away from my enjoyment of the beer. I like my stouts with some bubbles, and not necessarily the nitrogen fueled type.

-Overall 3.5: A pretty good stout. The "milk aspect" is an interesting part of the whole experience, but has little bearing on the stout itself. This is a beer that one should try if they have the chance, but it is not recommended as a session beer.

BeerDocT, Aug 29, 2011
3.23/5  rDev -18.8%

pours pitch black like a stout should but lacks good thick creamy foam head that i expect from a stout... color is lighter for a stout almost an almond appliance color.

Smell is of.... NOTHING this is the second beer from this brewery that i have reviewed and i smell NOTHING... maybe some light malt notes and faint hops .... but i really have to try just to smell any of it... very disappointing!!!

taste is better than ok... maybe a little watery for a stout. Malt starts with a light coffee in the middle and some bitter chocolate towards the end. No real major hop flavor.

mouth - feel is full bodied. pretty creamy but could be a little thicker... but i'll give it a four cause i feel bad about giving this beer a poor rating...

overall ehh... it was ok not a bad beer... just nothing spectacular... nothing separates it from anything else and if you compare it to something else its most likely lacking. unfortunately i think i have been turned off to the Left Handed Brewery.

DUBinMIA, Aug 29, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +6%

When to one of my favorite local craft beer bars and already loved this beer just never had it on draft.

A- Dark as night, with a tiny lace of foam around the top with a good dose of carbonation.

S- A very nice creamy smell with, mild hints of chocolate. Didn't at first get a milk smell more just a cremy light chocolate.

T- Absolutely fantastic! A rich and hearty taste, can easily depict the milk taste. Not to overpowering and nice malty finish.

M- Great drinkability, smooth with mild carbonation and a great finish.

Overall- I was very impressed I've now had this on nitro- tap, draft and in bottle and love it each time! Cheers

yankeej13, Aug 28, 2011
4.08/5  rDev +2.5%

Pours a deep, deep black, with significant, 2-finger layer of head on the top. Plenty o lacing, the pint is coated with froth all the way. Smells of cream, with undertones of malt, coffee, alcohol bringing up the rear. A big, not huge,taste, predominantly dairy and malt flavors. While decadently smooth and thick, the mouthfeel runs dangerously close to crossing the line into "loogie" consistency, but holds together.

Delicious beer, good drinking experince.

lurpy1, Aug 28, 2011
4.78/5  rDev +20.1%

A- It poured a nice husky amber, almost black color.

S- Has a light smoky aroma and hints of roasted malt and sweetness.

T- Easily drinkable with flavor dominated by roasted malts and very sweet chocolate. Not too heavy handed. A nicely balanced stout.

M- Mouthfeel was light to medium bodied. Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth. A little lighter feel than other stouts.

O- What's not to like?,it's quite enjoyable and reminds me of a beer version of a milk shake. Will definitely have again.

bowmanbrew, Aug 28, 2011
3.4/5  rDev -14.6%

A: Its a very very dark red beer, so much that it looks black. The head is a nice tanned bubbly.

S: Roasty sweetness dominates the smell. The thing is, its just not that strong. I expected more.

T: It has that traditional espresso/coffee flavor that stouts are known for. Its a tad sweet, but I don't get a lot of it.

M: This is a full bodied beer, and is very very smooth, even more-so than Guinness. Very good texture.

D: Its sweet enough that it's not very drinkable for me, I'd stick with one.

tlazaroff, Aug 26, 2011
3.93/5  rDev -1.3%

I had this on nitro-tap with a burger.

The nitro gave the beer an awesome cascade. Really thick tan head, decent retention and lacing.

A lot of chocolate, sweet malt, and hints of vanilla on the nose.

It's a delicious stout. Very sweet, with nice roasted malts, milk chocolate and vanilla, like an ice cream swirl. Hops are practically non-existent, which suits this beer.

The nitro does wonders for the texture. Silky smooth, somewhat dense, and practically no carbonation.

I've had this beer on tap and out of a bottle, and nitro is the way to go with it!

rel, Aug 26, 2011
3.95/5  rDev -0.8%

A: black as midnight, short lived head with lingering legs

S: coffee, roasted malt

T: roasted malt followed by Coffee and bitter chocolate with light cream, lightly sweet.

M: medium body, creamy and very smooth. Bubbles softly flow around your mouth

O: Pretty well balanced stout with an excellent creaminess and mouthfeel.

bugaboo416, Aug 24, 2011
4.72/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Nitro-tap at Mellow Mushroom in Tempe, AZ. Already one of my favorite Stouts out of a bottle or out of a regular tap line, Left Hand's Milk Stout gets even better from a nitro-tap!

A - Dark as night. A thick, fluffy, deep brown head that is so smooth, it looks like ice cream. It settles like an espresso would settle. Very inviting.

S - Roasted malt, chocolate, some notes of coffee. All the typical characteristics of a Stout, but everything is enhanced. And sweeter because of the nature of this style of beer.

T - Incredible. When I took the first sip, it's how I imagined Guinness might taste over in Ireland. It's like drinking liquid chocolate. Lots of sweet chocolate and delicious malty goodness.

M - Carbonation is nonexistent because of the nitro-tap. So damn smooth. No single characteristic lingers on the palate too long. A perfect sip/gulp every time.

One of the greatest Stouts that I've ever had the pleasure of drinking.

Gatch, Aug 24, 2011
3.88/5  rDev -2.5%

A: Really dark brown. Can just slightly see through it if held up to the light, but all in all just about black. Dark tan head that settles a little faster than I would like, but still manages to make for a line of lacing for each swig.

S: Smells damp and slightly musty. A bit sour... like sour milk. A little chocolate accompanied by roasted malts. Not the high point for this beer.

T: This brew won't slap you in the face with flavor, but it does carry a blend of roasted malts, while being quite heavy on the chocolate. The chocolate is like a mix of milk and dark. Quite sweet with just a bit of dark chocolate bitterness, especially in the aftertaste.

M: I really like how this stout feels in my mouth. Medium-full and creamy. Soft carbonation.

This is one smooth, easy drinking brew with the highlight being the mouthfeel. It's nice if you want a sweeter stout.

iDrinknewglarus, Aug 23, 2011
3.98/5  rDev 0%

Poured the 12oz bottle into my Weizen glass ( my Pint glass was not available at this time). Very dark brown with chocolate milk colored small head that dissipated quickly. Lacing was present at first but as I kept drinking it became absent as the beer went down. A nice aroma came out of the tall glass that gave hints of dark chocolate, milk, and caramel. Nose led to the advertised taste with the dark chocolate flavor as its main component, along with yeast and roasted malt flavors and a sweet aftertaste. Nice mouthfeel with excellent small carbonation that didn't get in the way of tasting the aforementioned flavors.

Overall, a very good stout that I will certainly go back to again.

olimpia84, Aug 23, 2011
3.35/5  rDev -15.8%

The beer is black/brown with hints of red, a tan head with little head and lacing but good curtains.

The smell is sweet, dry fruits, burned bread, chocolate bars, and slightly sour dishcloth.

Tasting very much of sweet milk chocolate, raisin marmalade on roasted brown bread.

Little carbonation, a soft slightly sticky feeling a good body but no dryness.

Very much a sweet chocolate dessert, good if you're into that.

rarbring, Aug 22, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +23.9%

Lactose sugar apparently gives this Sout a wonderfuly full body and taste. Literally Creamy Head that lasts a decent time. Actually a surprising crisp taste especially from a dark beer!
The logo of a Red Left Hand makes me wonder if these brewers are from the O'Neill Clan of Ulster? The recipe could be based on Irish sweet stout!

CaptJackHarkness, Aug 21, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +9.3%

Personally, I tend to enjoy stouts (and porters, in all their various permutations) as much as ... well, I guess I'll just say that I enjoy them and leave it at that. I think a nice roasty stout on a foggy SF night is a perfect combination, and if it's an imperial stout with some warming alcohol in it, all the better. But Texas in the summer? Eh, not so much. My mind may be thinking cold but the world around me is way too hot! Which brings me to... milk stout. While I wouldn't say it's a summer beer, I think the sweetness of a milk stout makes for a nice beer when you're craving some chocolaty, roasty goodness. And since I don't see Left Hand in SF I thought I'd give it a try.

Poured into my Ranger Creek nonic. Got a couple of fingers of head off of it that gradually dissipated. Nice lacing. It's dark, almost black, and a few shades off from being completely opaque. Smells wonderful. The sweet notes come through in the aroma. I'm ending the night with this beer and it's definitely dessert in a bottle.

From the first sip on, I love the balance. It's sweet, definitely, but not cloyingly so. And the chocolate notes are there, more milk chocolate than bitter/dark chocolate. (note: I'm pairing it with a square of dark chocolate and some Redemption Rye to boot, per a suggestion.) I like my stouts to have a full body and this doesn't disappoint. Makes me curious as to what trying it on nitro does.

elNopalero, Aug 21, 2011
4.08/5  rDev +2.5%

A: Pours a thin dark brown with a trace of head that fizzles, pops and then is gone.

S: Sweet sugar and roasted grain smell. Smell makes me think of sugar crystals in a dark roasty stout

T: Lots of creamy sweet taste with pops of roasted malt

M: Light and creamy with some carbonation

O: Usually I'm not impressed by milk stouts but this one definitely made me reconsider that. Well done Left Hand Brewing.

gregshead, Aug 21, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +11.3%

A: A really deep deep red/brown color when held up to the light, otherwise, pretty black. A nice big fluffy mocha colored head. This really makes the beer above average.

S: Beautiful roasted, smokey, dark chocolate smell.

T: Really sweet up front with a chocolate milk like taste. I'm also getting that smokey flavor again which is a nice surprise.

M: Big, thick and rich. From the look, I thought it was going to be thinner than it actually is. The roasted flavor leaves a slight bitterness at the back of the tongue.

O: The standard for milk stouts. It doesn't get much better than this, for the style. I have had quite a few other lactose/milk/cream stouts that just don't measure up to this masterpiece.

rrski198, Aug 18, 2011