Left Hand Milk Stout - Left Hand Brewing Company

Left Hand Milk StoutLeft Hand Milk Stout

Left Hand Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  6.00% ABV

ROASTED MALT AND COFFEE FLAVORS BUILD THE FOUNDATION OF THIS CREAMY SWEET STOUT.

Milk sugar in your stout is like cream in your coffee. Dark and delicious, America’s great milk stout will change your perception about what a stout can be. “Preconceived notions are the blinders on the road to enlightenment.” Udderly delightful.

Collection: Perennial
Style: Sweet Stout
Color: Black, 47 SRM
Body: full
ABV: 6%
IBU's: 25
PLATO: 15.5°
PKG: 6-Pack, Keg
Malt: Pale 2-row, Crystal, Munich, Roasted Barley, Flaked Oats, Flaked Barley and Chocolate
Hops: Magnum and US Goldings
Other: Lactose

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-20-2002)
3.73/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Part of a Left Hand Brewing Sampler six-pack.

Poured from a 12 oz. long neck bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Deep cloudy brown in color, almost black. Thick and creamy one finger tan head that lasted a while and left good sticky lacing. Settled to a frothy tan cap.

Smell: Sweet dark malts with hints of coffee and chocolate.

Taste: Creamy and malty with sweet flavors of cappucino, chocolate and bread. The lactose definitely adds to the sweetness and creaminess. Flavors became a little more intense as the beer warmed and opened up.

Mouth Feel: Medium body, but creamy and thicker due to the lactose. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Not overly heavy or bitter, which makes this one a good milk stout to session with. Good flavors, but none overwhelming or heavy. Overall, a decent milk stout.

ChopperSmith, Jun 10, 2011
3.7/5  rDev -7%

Appearance - Dark coffee coloration with zero light penetration; thin head that fritters away vigorously and leaving behind lacing that coats my glass well
Smell - Roasted malts and charred wood embedded in mild nuggets of chocolate

Taste - An explosion of off centered milky flavored coffee with a slightly creamy finish, roasted blend of nut flavor with a twaddle of smoke

Mouthfeel - Smooth and uniform from start to finish with the faintest touch of alcohol culminating in superior drinkability

Overall - Milk Stout is a the perfect name for this beer; the body is paper thin, the complexity is middle-of-the-road, and I prefer to drink this straight from the bottle

6thomas3, Jun 07, 2011
4.72/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed this from a nitro-tap @ the iTap House in Chesterfield, MO for $2.50 (usually 5, but Monday night is Half off the Tap night here). Tapped into an O'Fallon Brewery Pint Glass and enjoyed two back to back.

Aroma- Starts off with a dark roasted coffee/chocolate aroma that is perfect!

Appearance- Far too black to see any other color with a creamy, barely off white, 1.5 finger head. Retention was great but what was even better was the huge amount of lace that coated the entire glass.

Flavor- Subtle and smooth creamed coffee flavor! Perfect! Can't get any better than this! Creamy, has a high roasted flavor, but then extremely sweet. Grains and all ingredients were very well balanced.

Mouthfeel- Full Bodied, Creamiest beer I've ever had, Low Carbonation, and nice, sweet aftertaste.

Overall Impression- "Nothing better than a Left Hand Milk Stout on Nitro" I've heard for the last two months after I talked about the Left Hand stand @ the Microfest. After enjoying this for the first time on nitro-tap, I couldn't believe this beer! Almost like a overly sweetened and frothed Cafe Mocha. I couldn't enjoy many of these back to back but would get very full. Having these two were perfect tonight! Prost to all those pushing me to get this on Nitro.

DCon, Jun 07, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured from a 12oz... bottled May 5th...

Appearance: Cool psychedelic design of a cow on the bottle. Pours espresso dark with 1 finger frothy head that immediately invites.

Smell: Sweet milk chocolate and of creamy mocha coffee accent. Interesting to discern.

Taste: Smooth like milk chocolate with just enough carbonation to excite your tongue. It's hard to define between the milk chocolate and what also seems to be a mocha coffee kick. Udderly delicious.

Mouthfeel: With the mellow roll onto your tongue to the lively dance of the balanced carbonation.. it leaves a creamy goodness that you can't help but keep drinking.

Overall: Absolutely my favorite stout. Maybe I am a sweet stout person but honestly I tend to steer away from any sweet beer. This one has me hooked. Highly recommended and I imagine most absolute on-tap. Prosit!

Forb, Jun 06, 2011
3.7/5  rDev -7%

Doing research for a future homebrew, pick this up out curiosity at the milk stout style.

Pours motor-oil brown-black, albeit more translucent than most you'd describe that way. Plenty of lacing. Actually smells like cream and a bit of coffee & chocolate. Reminds me of a properly sugar and creamed cappuccino -- but with alcohol in the equation. Swig time...

There's a point after which sweetness in a beer becomes annoying and repetitive. This does not get to there, only bringing sweetness to counteract the roasty characteristics enough to tell you this isn't a garden variety stout. Dials in the lactose enough to thicken to milk consistency behind the normal stout character. Goes down relatively thick in a milky sense, with a bit of caramel on the aftertaste somehow.

This is the 2nd cream stout I've tried. It's also the best cream stout I've tried. This is a style that I seem to have "got" easier than many others. Since more of the character is what didn't ferment to alcohol than what did, I'd rank this as a sessionable choice despite my previously stated preference to bigger items. Chilling with a few milk stouts works for me in the sense that the base flavors tickle the proper buttons. I've had better, but not in this category.

longbongsilver, Jun 06, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +5.5%

Appearance: Black with hardly any head upon an aggressive pour, however leaves lots of lacing.

Smell: Sweet, Malt, Chocolate, Coffee, very small amount of hops way in the background.

Taste: Coffee up front, quickly followed by a very nice Chocolate flavor, very sweet and enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: Decent body, leaves a nice Chocolate, Coffee aftertaste.

Drinkability: Very Drinkable if you dig the style. Reminds me a lot of Youngs Double Chocolate Milk Stout, but this one has a little bit more going on in complexity and flavor, I actually like it a better. Great After dinner Desert Stout.

DarthRadb, Jun 03, 2011
4.13/5  rDev +3.8%

The look of the beer didn't seem very creamy, it seemed more like a stout instead of a milk stout. The smell I get is bitter chocolate and coffee milk. the taste was automatic sweetness, it was more whip cream taste than a milk taste, it had very mild roasted coffee aromas. I think this is a great beer, it just needs to be drank at a higher temperature but not room temperature that's too hot.

Francepants06, Jun 03, 2011
4.18/5  rDev +5%

Poured into my custom etched "dead man's hand" pint glass. Really dark, but I think I'm calling this deep, dark brown. No light gets through this pint of beer. Head is maybe one finger and a beautiful light and creamy tan color. Lace is sticky and gonna hang for the fourth quarter.

Smell is mild roasted coffee and some sweet milk chocolate. Quite enjoyable.

Taste is sweet and smooth. Kind of reminiscent of a great cup of iced coffee. Some tartness but the sweetness really neutralizes it.

Mouth is silky and rich. Not a bit of dryness or tongue lashing going on here. I know I said rich but it is just a bit watery or Porter in the mouth.

Overall I am really surprised by this one. I have had many offerings by Left Hand and most of them are down the middle for the style, so when my local Safeway started a new Craft Beer section and offered this for $11 a sixer I thought I would give it a shot. Very glad I did because this was very enjoyable and in my opinion a must try!!

azdback, Jun 02, 2011
3.93/5  rDev -1.3%

Jet black…thick, but not heavy. More of a creamy texture, but still having normal carbonation. Probably worth noting that this is usually served on nitro at most bars. The bottled version tends to have very low carbonation.
Roasty with a semisweet chocolate character. Pretty mild, but normal compared with other milk stouts. On nitro the nose isn’t really there unless you wait for it to warm, which is again pretty normal...but still docks the nose quite a bit. Nitro serves this beer well at times, but not here.
A nice blend of the traditional roasted malt character from most stouts, with just the right amount of dessert-like sweetness. Dark chocolate, creamed coffee, a hint of molasses, and a slight pine twinge from the hops. The nitro take is sweeter than the bottle, which has more of a dry character.
Texture on nitro is (as expected) super creamy and airy. From the bottle it’s a little flat after the initial carbonation escapes.
One of the best milk stouts around (not that there are many) and I’ll admit is one I prefer on a nitro tap.
One of my go-to lower alcohol beers and one I find myself grabbing a lot when I want a stout that won’t blow the doors off my palate, too.

Domingo, May 31, 2011
4.7/5  rDev +18.1%

A - Looks like a very nice black with only slight amber hues. Head is only a half inch that quickly turns to a ring of sticky lace.

S - hmm not as heavy roast as expected but quite a but of chocolate and lactose that gives an almost vanilla hue.

T - Ow wow that's creamy. I got very little hop bitterness or even roast with mostly creamy chocolate malted milk balls and a touch to vanilla goodness.

M - One of the smoothest body's I ever had on a stout. Almost like chocolate milk beer (It's better than it sounds).

Overall another beer I will have to pick up at the Estate at least a six pack. A damn fine milk stout.

DrDemento456, May 31, 2011
3.85/5  rDev -3.3%

A: Pours a pitch black color, small tan head with very slight lacing down the glass
S: Not much on the nose with this one, slight roasted malts and chocolate
T: Nice roasted malt with a milk chocolatey sweetness
M: Perfectly smooth going down...nice!!
O: Overall a pretty good beer, not enough breweries make these type of stouts in my opinion...pretty good beer.

loren01, May 30, 2011
3.33/5  rDev -16.3%

Beer poured from bottle into Dogfish head style glass

A - Body of the beer was poured with a dark brown, almost black colored body; look very watery and not very solid

S - Subtle hints of coffee and oatmeal; slightly lactose but very liquidy; needs more body; light espresso notes; chocolate milk; light espresso ice cream

T - Lighter coffee and roasted malt flavors; not very chocolaty or coffee-ish and very runny; lacks substantial stout flavors; could use more kick

M - Flavors wash away very quickly and lack much bite; light and runny; watery

D- OK; not the best sweet Stout I've head but deserves some recognition

T - Good drink, but needs more body and more flavor; I'd recommend this to a beginner trying to get their feet wet in the culture of beer flavor

ferrari29, May 30, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +1.8%

Reviewing from notes here, because when I had this I was a bit too busy with some friends to pull out the iPhone and be anti-social on BA.

The appearance is dark and fairly standard. Given that it was on gravity cask, I can't really knock its lackluster lacing and absent head. A dark brown to black body that went to brown at the edges, this one smelled like chocolate milk, with malts and cream poking out most. Taste is the same, which could be classified as boring if it weren't exactly what I wanted at the time. Exclamation points throughout my notes, and there were high fives all around.

Its taste profile isn't the most interesting, but it's a milk stout through and through, and if that's what you're in the mood for, Left Hand does not let you down.

afksports, May 29, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +6%

With much anticipation I finally scored a sixer of Left Hand Milk Stout.
It pours to a nice thick 1 fat finger head which dissolves quickly leaving the sides quite coated.
The aroma is that of coffee and dark chocolate leaving me thinking this might be a bit more bitter than I was expecting.
Upon drinking I was quite pleased with the texture in my mouth. Thick and not unlike chocolate milk.
While the flavors I described earlier were certainly present, as it went down the milky cocoa/chocolate taste that I was hoping for came and made me smile as I drank it down.
Overall I would say this is a very good milk stout and definately worth trying if you are tired of the same old run of the mill stouts.

tigerbass, May 29, 2011
3.23/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Purchased a six-er on a recommendation from a buddy for $9, so the price point wasnt too bad. Poured aggressively into a pint glass. I dont quite know what to expect out of this one, as I havent tried this style in quite a while. Pretty cool label on this one though with a cow with black hands on it instead of spots. Being from Wisconsin, I can appreciate this sort of label.

a-thick frothy, light brown head that holds for quite a while and left some lacing as it retreated. The beer is a dark, dark brown color, almost black. Very little light gets through this one.

s-i dont really get much of a nose off of this guy. real light cocoa and roasted character. Sort of a surprise to me.

t-again, im not getting as much out of this beer as I had expected. some chocolate notes, some toasted malts. Very little in the way of anything resembling milk or any of those flavors. There is a nice richness to it, but nothing that blows me away

m-this was my favorite part of the beer. great balance of carbonation and weight. Very creamy feel in my mouth. Makes me want to swish it around in my mouth and froth it up, then drink it down.

overall, a very good beer and very drinkable. The sixer it came it proclaimed it as "the best stout in America" so I obviously had high hopes going in. Having just tasted another stout before this one, I can say in my opinion, their sixer box lies. A good drinkable stout, but not one I would go out of my way to get my hands on again.

crewfan16, May 28, 2011
4.28/5  rDev +7.5%

The specs stores around houston are pretty much universally carrying this now. After much debating I gave it a try on the recommendation of a friend. It reminds me very much of a solid chocolate stout made with chocolate milk. While that may seem a bit off putting at first it's actually not once you try it. This has a rich and full mouth feel, solid chocolate and milk notes up front with a slight sweet and bitter chcolate milk finish. Overall bitterness is very low (I would guess 30-40 IBU), but balanced. This is not something you pound a whole six pack of, but it's great to have in the beer fridge for an occasional treat.

merddyn2002, May 24, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -18.3%

Left Hand Milk Stout has a very dark colored body with a white head. Retention and lacing are OK.

The aroma has lots of chocolate and roast.

The flavor has a good bit of chocolate, with lots of sweetness. The sweetness is cut by a large roasted flavor that is probably the single strongest flavor in the beer. Just a hint of creamy-tasting lacto comes out in the middle.

Pretty light body, feels thin.

I'm surprised I have never tried this one before. I don't have very strong feelings about it one way or another.

Hojaminbag, May 24, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +11.3%

Label said it was bottled on 12/10/10. I paid $1.99 at Total Wine.

Pours nearly black with just traces of espresso on the edge and in the light. It went into a pint glass hard and gave a thin beige head that receded promptly to a ring and island with some lacing.

Smells of cappuccino, vanilla, light roasted malts. A very nice though not overpowering smell. It makes you work for it a bit.

Most immediately noticeable when it goes in the mouth is the texture. Wow - velvety soft, rich, not bitter or boozy. Then I notice the sweet coffee flavors, some 60% dark chocolate (i.e. not highly bitter). Flavors are not super intense like a Russian imperial, but then again they are not supposed to be either. Very well balanced all around and one of the better examples of the style. I think I prefer this to the Lancaster Milk Stout.

At 5.2%ABV, I could drink this all night. Superb drink-ability and killer value. Yeah, I'll buy this again.

BelgiumBill, May 22, 2011
4.58/5  rDev +15.1%

I really like this in a bottle, but on draught (nitro tap) this is heaven.

Pours black as night with a tan head which is as creamy and smooth as mousse. Lacing is an understatement, as my pint glass is coated with foam as I finish the beer.

Smell: Coffee, carmel, chocolate, roasted malted barley.

Taste is also coffee, carmel, chocolate, malt.

Sillky, smooth and hearty stout. Coffee aftertaste.

Overall? This is by far the best stout I've tasted to date. Good in a bottle, great on tap.

Illtryit, May 20, 2011

A- 4 Looks black on the pour, but you can see it is super dark brown when held in light. There's a half-finger bubbly tan head that dwindles down to a ring around the edge of the snifter throughout. Its tiny bubbles lace the walls smoothly. Looks like a good, solid stout should look.

S- 4 Milk Stout's aroma is comprised of heavy milk chocolate up front and dark, roasted malts. There's the slightest hop presence in the background that gives it a cleanness. Not the most complex scent, but quite appealing nonetheless.

T- 4 Chocolate comes to mind at first with the taste of this brew. It is a little malty as well. It finishes with a touch of hop bittnerness to counteract the chocolate sweetness, and it works pretty nicely.

M- 4 Creamy and smooth medium-bodied brew that has ample carbonation. It leaves me a tad dry.

D- 4 This is an impressively consistent brew all around. I appreciate how well in line its aroma and taste fall; I found no surprises between the two. While I have had more interesting stouts, I must say that this is one worth falling back on. It has a nice sweetness that is well-balanced by just enough hop presence, and is light enough for the style that I could put down a few of 'em. I'd recommend and most likely buy again.

KYBrewgrass, May 18, 2011
3.45/5  rDev -13.3%

Purchased from: Williams IGA (Vienna, Ohio)
Origin: 12oz Bottle
Bottled on: ?
Tasted on: 07-13-11
Glassware: DFH Snifter
Serving Temperature: 45 F

Notes: Reviewed from notes

I) Appearance: Pours a very faint tan head. 1/4 finger which dissipates within a minute. Body is black, only leaving light through around the edges of the glass revealing faint, tan wisps.

II) Smell: Very faint nose. Roasted malts, a little coffee and maybe some cocoa.

III) Taste: Light creamy (slightly sweet) upfront that quickly turns to a roasty malt flavor. Leaves some chocolate and coffee behind to hang around. No noticeable alcohol.
A) Malt Intesity (1-5): 2
B) Hop Intesity (1-5): 1

IV) Mouthfeel: Creamy, thin and had a tight, fizzy carbonation.

V) Drinkability: Extremely drinkable stout. Smooth, creamy and easy going. At only 5.5% ABV this is a great session beer.

VI) Concluding thoughts: I actually really liked this one overall. I have had only a handful of cream stouts and this has to be one of my favorites.

Spadoof, May 18, 2011
3.75/5  rDev -5.8%

Had this on nitro tap at Falling Rock in Denver.

Beer poured quite dark into a goblet. A little bit of head, but not a whole lot of lacing if I remember correctly.

WTF? All I was getting on the nose was a blast of sweet butter. Was this the nitro? Or a diacetyl infection? Only the taste would tell..

Whew, no diacetyl infection. A little bit roasty, very sweet and smooth. Pretty typical sweet stout I guess. Don't have a ton of experience with the style.

Mouthfeel was silky smooth probably due to the nitro.

Overall a tasty beer. Felt the nitro may have killed the smell but it was still a good beer.

AWolfAtTheDoor, May 16, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +3%

A- Black with some brownish hues around the edges. Moderate rocky tan head that dissipates to a thin collar, leaving minimal lacing.

N- Sweet roasted malt with a touch of chocolate, vaguely reminiscent of malt balls. Nothing too complex, but it smells delicious.

T- Sweet chocolatey malt with a firm bite from the roastiness. Minimal hop bitterness with some grassy accents. Towards the finish, the roasty bite calms down and blends better with the hops. Grassy and roasty aftertaste.

M- Medium bodied and creamy with moderate carbonation and a semidry roasty finish.

D- Overall, a tasty stout. Not something I would trade for since it's not available in my state, but I'm definitely ordering a pint if I ever see it on tap while I'm traveling.

KevinBrewer, May 16, 2011
3.38/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into a Pint Glass.

A - Pours a very dark brown with reddish highlights and a creamy, 1/2-inch khaki head that quickly dissipates to some patchy haze.
S - Dark roasted malt, coffee-and-cream, chocolate, and a faint whiff of vanilla. Fairly typical Milk Stout aromas, but not bad.
T - More roasted malt and coffee give way to sweet milk chocolate and some caramel. Definitely on the sweeter side of the Milk Stout spectrum, this would make a great dessert beer.
M - Disappointingly thinner-bodied then I'd hoped, probably medium-thin overall, with moderate carbonation. I was hoping this would be a bit creamier.
O - Not bad, probably would be a good beginner beer. A bit sweet for my taste.

jsanford, May 12, 2011
3.58/5  rDev -10.1%

Bottled on 11/24/10.

A - I got a half-finger khaki head from a gentle pour into a snifter. The head dissipated in about a minute leaving a thin collar that produced some lacing when swirled. It is coffee colored with reddish hues when held to the light.

S - Roasted malts, hints of vanilla and toasted marshmallow. There is a slight smattering of coffee and cocoa.

T - Very mild up front with subtle toffee sweetness. Roasted malts and trace vanilla in the finish with a little bit of hop bitterness. I could not detect as many of the aromatic qualities in the taste, it was mostly roasted malt.

M - Smooth med/light body with medium carbonation. The carbonation is a bit much considering the mild flavor profile. There is no alcohol presence.

O/D - This is a decent beer, but it lacks the level of taste complexity that my palette is accustomed to. I don't think I'll seek this out again specifically, but I wouldn't turn it down if I was offered a pint.

LaCoursiere, May 11, 2011