Left Hand Milk Stout - Left Hand Brewing Company

Left Hand Milk StoutLeft Hand Milk Stout

Left Hand Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  6.00% ABV

ROASTED MALT AND COFFEE FLAVORS BUILD THE FOUNDATION OF THIS CREAMY SWEET STOUT.

Milk sugar in your stout is like cream in your coffee. Dark and delicious, America’s great milk stout will change your perception about what a stout can be. “Preconceived notions are the blinders on the road to enlightenment.” Udderly delightful.

Collection: Perennial
Style: Sweet Stout
Color: Black, 47 SRM
Body: full
ABV: 6%
IBU's: 25
PLATO: 15.5°
PKG: 6-Pack, Keg
Malt: Pale 2-row, Crystal, Munich, Roasted Barley, Flaked Oats, Flaked Barley and Chocolate
Hops: Magnum and US Goldings
Other: Lactose

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-20-2002)
pokesbeerdude

Colorado

3.75/5  rDev -5.8%

Part of a mixed six pack from Arctic Liquors in Steamboat, CO, $1.50.

A: Deep brown, iced tea colored accents and a cream colored head, about half an inch worth or so, that sticks around nicely, nice lacing. Good looking beer.

S: Coffee, milk chocolate, has a few lactose type smells, nothing overbearing, but still a nice smelling beer.

T: Milk chocolate, roasted coffee, roasted barley, a few hints of vanilla as well. Not too shabby of a beer. Lots of decent flavors, and a fair amount of balance as well. Bitterness in this beer comes from roasted malts more so than hops, still quite balanced between bitter and sweet.

M: Starting to verge on fairly thick with this one, medium carbonation, somewhat sticky on the lips.

D: Goes down easy, and would make a decent session. A little bit on the sweet side to drink a whole lot of, but is still quite nice. Would make a great after dinner beer.

11-15-2009 21:27:10 | More by pokesbeerdude
Mavajo

Georgia

3.93/5  rDev -1.3%

Pours a dark black that is slightly opaque when held to light. Fluffy tan/brown head that retains well. Good lacing.

Nose is sweet and chocolatey. Taste is likewise sweet, chocolate, a bit roasty. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy with appropriate carbonation. Very drinkable, though it's a stout so it sits heavy in your gut.

All in all, it's a good milk stout, but doesn't really stand out as anything special.

11-13-2009 14:58:34 | More by Mavajo
accordselux

4.1/5  rDev +3%

Wow, the nitro tap was REALLY good. Happy Gnome 11/12/09.

I loved this in the bottle so I knew I had to have it on nitro.

Very full tan head that left a coating of lace down the glass as I drank. Great deep brown color.

Smelled sweet, I can smell the lactose.

Very very smooth mouthfeel. Mild coffee and chocolate, typical stout flavors.

It doesn't stand out, but I love the mouthfeel and hte sweetness the lactose imparts. To me this is a session beer- to spend an evening with friends.

11-13-2009 04:31:44 | More by accordselux
SykDoc

Wisconsin

3.98/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter. It pours a thin brown that appears almost opaque with brown edges once the glass is full. A 1/8 inch beige head forms and reduces to a minimal lacing.

The aroma seemed a bit weak to me, although some of this is possibly related to temperature as the aroma is improving. There are nice notes of sugary sweetness with nuts and cream soda.

The taste includes nice healthy doses of chocolate and nuts. I also pick up some coffee bitterness and light vanilla after-taste.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a quick carbonation up front. There is a creamy component, as well as a mild dryness at the finish. It actually ends quite cleanly with a pleasant crisp sensation and mild flavors lingering.

Overall, I think this is an easy to drink beer. It doesn't overwhelm me with taste or aroma, but leaves me thinking that I could enjoy another one.

11-11-2009 01:01:09 | More by SykDoc
woosterbill

Kentucky

4.28/5  rDev +7.5%

12 oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a smooth black body topped by 1.5" of dense off-white head; reasonable retention and a bit of fine lace.

S: Delicious mixture of sweet, nutty chocolate, dark roasted malt, and smooth cream. There's an aroma here (dominant and up front, largely nutty) that I just can't quite pin down - I know that it's something specific (candy bar? type of nut?), but it's always just out of reach. If anyone can enlighten me, I'd love to know. It's definitely not a bad thing, though, and this is a great smelling beer.

T: More of that maddeningly enigmatic nutty flavor up front, followed by a profound richness of roasted malt (equal parts coffee and chocolate). Enough coffee bitterness to make for a fairly dry, crisp finish (considering the overall sweetness of the brew). Very nice indeed, and especially rich and strong for such a sessionable ABV.

M: Fairly light-bodied with minimal effervescence. Silky and soothing, but forgettable.

D: Good, not great. It reminds me more of a super-smooth RIS than a standard 5% milk stout.

Notes: Absolutely delicious beer - definitely in the running for highest flavor to alcohol ratio. Very nice. I just wish I could figure out what it smells and tastes like specifically. It's driving me nuts! Ah, well, at least I have a tasty beer to sip on while I fret.

Cheers!

11-10-2009 02:09:15 | More by woosterbill
OneDropSoup

4.43/5  rDev +11.3%

Had on nitro-tap at 6 & Save in New Kensington, PA. So many other customers recommended this to me that I had to try it.

I love the appearance of a nitro stout, the stark contrast in body & head. Dense black body with ruby highlights, a finger of creamy head. Love the composition, with plenty of nitro sheets of lace.

Smell of light-roasted malt, cream. I've always marveled at lighter-bodied stouts' ability to achieve that toasty smell while maintaining low ABV & just seeming so cool & light.

Taste is of a cool roast, chocolate, kind of nutty, some ice cream maybe? Honey? Further into the pint, some bread crust shows up in the aftertaste, a little on the dry side.

Mouthfeel is creamy & smooth without being too thick, another beauty of nitro. Some residual sweetness pops up, as could be expected.

Drinkability is way up there: lots of flavor for a low ABV stout, & without a lot of heavy flavors that camp out on your palate. I can understand all the word-of-mouth praise for this baby.

11-05-2009 23:41:44 | More by OneDropSoup
zoso493

4.25/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a nonic

Appearance: A very dark brown that is almost completely opaque. Even a vigorous pour only produced a small half-inch head that recedes quickly and leaves virtually no lacing on the glass.

Smell: As one might expect, smells very sweet with some caramel, malts and dark chocolate in the nose. As it warms, the sweetness becomes more pronounced, and the scents really blend together well.

Taste: The taste deviates from the smell a bit, as the roasted malts, coffee tones, and bitter chocolate are the first things to hit your palate. Finishes sweet, though.

Mouthfeel: Fairly thick and creamy and very suited to the style.

Drinkability: At only 5.2% ABV, it's pretty low in alcohol and definitely smooth and tasty enough to have a few of.

Overall, this is a very enjoyable brew. It's very complex and tasty, just not overly bold. Given its low ABV, I would definitely cite this as a solid session beer that I would certainly recommend.

11-04-2009 20:47:11 | More by zoso493
MetalHopHead6

3.7/5  rDev -7%

Left Hand Milk Stout poured black with a light insignificant head.

The smell and taste also were light and insignificant, with a non-descript sweet roasty character. It had high carbonation, that along with the light character, gave it an un-stout-like feel, yet made it refreshing.

Left Hand Milk Stout is a stout that could be pounded on a hot day. A summer stout, perhaps?

11-01-2009 19:46:55 | More by MetalHopHead6
heissebier

3.98/5  rDev 0%

This is my first milk stout provided to me courtesy of my roommate whiteweasel. Cheers!

Appearance- Has a decent although fairly weak head that dissipates rather quickly. Dark appearance but still translucent although barely.

Smell- Sweet with hints of roasted chocolate and coffee.

Taste- A delightfully unique and interesting flavor! Sweeter than I'd expected but still in balance. Chocolaty but maintains a stoutlike boldness.

Mouthfeel- Goes down smooth, the carbonation left a little something to be desired.

Drinkability- Excellent. A misguided friend once referred to Busch Light as "Tasting like Candy". This brew actually does!

10-27-2009 06:17:24 | More by heissebier
Whiteweasel

4.15/5  rDev +4.3%

Drank from a seidel. First milk stout ever

Appearance: Nice creamy light brown head which lingers for a while. Color is opaque and dark brown if just normally looked at, but showed red upon holding it up to a light.

Smell: Somewhat chocolatey and sweet. Much lighter than other stouts. It might just be my mind playing tricks on me, but it smells a little like chocolate milk. It smells pretty malty, which adds to its sweetness.

Taste: Mmm very chocolately and sweet. I can see why they call it milk stout. Its like beer flavoured chocolate milk. Just a hint of roasted bitterness lets you know its a stout. Its very tasty and leaves almost no aftertaste in the mouth other than a faint milkyness.

Mouthfeel: Loses most of its carbonation quickly but still has a little fizziness left at the end. No alcohol sensation is present, but at its abv its no surprise. Not exactly refreshing in the traditional sense, but great to just drink and chill out on a night in.

Drinkability: I may have found my everyday beer. Its very easy to drink, and when I've finished my bottle, I feel like another. And at only 5.2% its very forgiving when youre having a few.

10-23-2009 03:01:39 | More by Whiteweasel
vdread

3.7/5  rDev -7%

Left Hand Milk Stout pours deceptively dark, but a lot of red can be seen through the light. the tiny mocha head disappates within seconds.

smells of milk chocolate, some lightly smoky malts.

taste is of sweet chocolate, some burnt malts, tastes and feels more like a porter than a stout, though. mouthfeel is pleasant for a porter, but not what i would expect from a stout. light in consistency and pretty easy to drink.

10-19-2009 23:40:15 | More by vdread
Zebus0

Missouri

3.98/5  rDev 0%

A- Good, looks like any other stout really. Can't see through it so you know it's good. I dock 1/2 a point because the head was kind of skimpy, thin tan colored head.

S- Very muted smell, my favorite. Very burnt, good aroma.

T- Very interesting. Smooth start with a burnt coffee-like finish and aftertaste. Very pleasing. Don't see how people compare it to chocolate milk. Quite a bit of sweetness on the start, I like it.

M- Very smooth, what you would expect from a milk stout. Just a tiny bit of grain, kind of a given. Pleasant though, like everything else.

D- Very drinkable. One of my favored stouts actually when I can get it. Just overall a very interesting beer. I have yet to have a lot of really good sweet/milk stouts, this is one of the better ones.

10-18-2009 20:17:45 | More by Zebus0
jt31914

2.13/5  rDev -46.5%

A: 1 finger of head with a dark brown color (reddish undertones). A little inconsistent.

S: Strong coffee and milk, char smell.

T: Tastes like smell but the finish is pretty poor; coffee mixed with milk dominates flavor. The taste on the palate is very good, sadly the finish gets worse on every drink and is just horrible (my friend actually dumped this beer in disgust).

M/D: Bubbly, strong and not overly smooth.

It was good at first but got worse as it warmed and was average overall. If I wasn't a fan of the style I would've probably hated this beer.

10-08-2009 18:40:32 | More by jt31914
drewd

Indiana

Pours black with a brownish-white head. Smells strongly of coffee, chocolate. Taste is sweet, almost creamy right off the bat. Very nice ending notes of dark chocolate and coffee. Smooth all the way through. Not quite as much as Young's Double Chocolate, but more complex. In my opinion, makes for a better beer. Very drinkable, an all-around quality brew.

10-02-2009 03:01:54 | More by drewd
bmoney

4.75/5  rDev +19.3%

poured from 12oz bottle into a pint glass:

A- Pours a very dark dark brown, with a tan head that leaves good lacing and rings all the way down.

S- smells like cocoa, coffee, and seriously like a glass of whole milk...

T/M- delicious, thick and creamy... Roasted malt, and a sweet chocolate milk taste.

D- on my second and could use another.

One of my favorite beers... if you're in the mood for something sweet and creamy this is it.

10-02-2009 01:35:21 | More by bmoney
bcole002

Had this beer on tap. Maybe it's the name, but I almost felt I was drinking cold milk beer, if there is even such a thing. The beer was smooth and silky. Nice easy to drink stout, all around. I'm afraid to try it in a bottle for fear that it might taint my memory.

09-21-2009 04:07:46 | More by bcole002
phrygian68

4.33/5  rDev +8.8%

One of the. Pours very dark, with a nice, small head. Flavors start sweet, nutty, and creamy then finish with coffee, chocolate and roasted malts. Carbonated just enough to not distract from the the taste. Great beer to pair with chocolate,overall one of the best stouts out there!

09-20-2009 14:58:14 | More by phrygian68
GodOfBeer

Ontario (Canada)

4.1/5  rDev +3%

Pours a dark red brown, not as black as I was expecting, a nice tan head that fades to a thin layer.

Smells of milk and toast, coffee and caramel, very nice.

Nice and sweet upfront, some toasted grains and coffee with a nice hoppy bitter finish.

This is a very good milk stout, somewhat thick but highly drinkable!

09-15-2009 22:22:29 | More by GodOfBeer
Probie

Rhode Island

4.6/5  rDev +15.6%

Appearance - Poured from a bottle into a goblet. This produced no head or lacing. This is a thick black and at first appeard overly. After a few seconds the bubbles died down.

Smell - Aromas of toasted malt and coffee were the most dominant with a slight hint of chocolate.

Taste - The chocolate and coffee were there up front followed by the sweet toasted malt. There was also a very faint cherry aftertaste

Mouthful - It was surprisingly smooth and creamy leaving a pleasant coating on the roof of my mouth.

Drinkability - This is one of the most drinkable stouts I have had. It would be quite easy to have a couple of these in a sitting as opposed to nursing it for a while.

09-14-2009 06:52:40 | More by Probie
scoobybrew

Indiana

A - black with dark amber highlights, thick tan head that settles a bit into a collar with decent lacing

S - roasted, coffee-like grainy aroma; no hops

T - rich malty roasted flavor with a little hop flavor; finishes somewhat malty and sweet

M - medium-full body, moderate carbonation

D - This seems to fit the style well enough. It's very rich with a very strong malt character that is typical of Left Hand beers. For this beer it works well.

09-14-2009 00:39:37 | More by scoobybrew
Cheers

Kansas

3.95/5  rDev -0.8%

a = dark amber to black

s = toasted malt, and a slight coffee aroma

t = chocolate and coffee up front with an enjoyable aftertaste that I can't put my finger on

m = thick coats the mouth nicely and leaves your mouth feeling like you just took a gulp of milk (go figure)

d = A very drinkable stout. One of my favorites for under 10 bucks a six pac.

09-13-2009 19:57:05 | More by Cheers
UA8

Washington

4.03/5  rDev +1.3%

A- Pours a rich dark brown with a tall light brown head.

S- Scents of cocoa powder, caramel, and sweet roasted malts drift up from the head.

T- Flavors of roasted caramel malts, cocoa, and a lactose sweetness.

M- Medium body and carbonation.

D- A tad on the sweet side for all night drinking but I would happily drink two or three of these in a sitting which wouldn't be much of a chore due to the low abv.

09-12-2009 01:18:22 | More by UA8
FernMaster

Missouri

3.9/5  rDev -2%

In order to review this beer effectively the following review was written painstakingly with my left hand only.

Poured from a 12.oz bottle into a goblet.

I once saw a bumper sticker on the back of a car that simply had a red left hand on it encircled inside a white...circle. There was no lettering or detail other than the red left hand. It made me think of Left Hand Brewing Company and that might be a bumper sticker for said company. This made me want a sticker for my car to. And I hate bumper stickers. Really bad ones make me yell like I'm at a town hall meeting. I may have road rage. The reason I recognized the left hand as belonging to Left Hand Brewing was because of this beer, I enjoyed it so much that I now really like Left Hand Brewing and they make it to my recommendations for people getting into beer or looking for something new (from Mid-Missouri selections mind you).

Milk Stout pours nicely enough with very little head. There's head for a second but it quickly subsides, it's like the action in a Jane Austen novel; you think that something is going to happen but then you're left wondering why you haven't moved on to something else. The something else in this case would be the lacing that is left on my glass. The head subsides but the lacing keeps on rockin'. The smell is very faint, if I have the swine flu I'm going to be sad and have to put off reviewing beer but laughing as I miss classes. (Note: College classes. Would a high school kid waste his time reviewing beer when there's Vanessa Hudgens pictures to jerk to?) (Hopefully Disney doesn't squash that joke.) What little smell there is is moderately sweet and a little milky, but it has that bite to it that stouts do. I forgot to mention to color - it looks like a stout. It looks stoutish in the light, stoutish in the glass and stoutish if you swirl it. The taste of this is kind of sweet, with a little hint of chocolate and coffee. The bitterness of the stout is toned down by the sweetness and it blends together really well (and tastes great with ice cream). Milk Stout is very easy to drink and has a great mouthfeel. That says nothing really.

In order for me to review this beer effectively please note that the opening line was a lie.

09-09-2009 02:32:05 | More by FernMaster
stakem

3.9/5  rDev -2%

Bottled-on date got wet and faded, it is no longer visable. Had to pour it forcefully to get 1 finger of tanned head that receeded quickly to just a lace on top of the beer. Color is nearly black with some brown hue along the edges. The nose is sweet upfront from the lactose but includes chocolate and coffee notes as well. The taste of this beer displays all of the properties of the smell; and then some. It has even more bold sweetness than the smell would let you believe. It also tastes of chocolate, coffee and the finish has a bit of bitterness that clings for awhile after the sip. Very smooth and medium mouthfeel, carbination is a bit light.

09-08-2009 23:54:20 | More by stakem
jmjackson6880

4.08/5  rDev +2.5%

A - Pours black with about 2 fingers of a light tan head. Looking through a light, it has a very dark amber color and crystal clarity. Light head hangs around until the last sips and leaves some spotty lacing top to bottom.

S - Roasty, chocolaty with hints of coffee.

T - A nice sweet tinge with malty and roasted flavors present. Chocolate and espresso flavors, without being overdone. A very, very slight hop bitterness on the back of the tongue.

M - Medium body. Not too creamy, with a sort of slick (oily) after. Definately expected it to have more body with a creamier mouthfeel. Would love to try this on a nitro.

D - A nice brew and good session stout. Maybe a little steep on price. Memorable? Kind of.

09-08-2009 01:45:47 | More by jmjackson6880