Left Hand Milk Stout - Left Hand Brewing Company

Left Hand Milk StoutLeft Hand Milk Stout

Left Hand Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  6.00% ABV

ROASTED MALT AND COFFEE FLAVORS BUILD THE FOUNDATION OF THIS CREAMY SWEET STOUT.

Milk sugar in your stout is like cream in your coffee. Dark and delicious, America’s great milk stout will change your perception about what a stout can be. “Preconceived notions are the blinders on the road to enlightenment.” Udderly delightful.

Collection: Perennial
Style: Sweet Stout
Color: Black, 47 SRM
Body: full
ABV: 6%
IBU's: 25
PLATO: 15.5°
PKG: 6-Pack, Keg
Malt: Pale 2-row, Crystal, Munich, Roasted Barley, Flaked Oats, Flaked Barley and Chocolate
Hops: Magnum and US Goldings
Other: Lactose

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-20-2002)
Probie

Rhode Island

4.6/5  rDev +15.6%

Appearance - Poured from a bottle into a goblet. This produced no head or lacing. This is a thick black and at first appeard overly. After a few seconds the bubbles died down.

Smell - Aromas of toasted malt and coffee were the most dominant with a slight hint of chocolate.

Taste - The chocolate and coffee were there up front followed by the sweet toasted malt. There was also a very faint cherry aftertaste

Mouthful - It was surprisingly smooth and creamy leaving a pleasant coating on the roof of my mouth.

Drinkability - This is one of the most drinkable stouts I have had. It would be quite easy to have a couple of these in a sitting as opposed to nursing it for a while.

09-14-2009 06:52:40 | More by Probie
scoobybrew

Indiana

A - black with dark amber highlights, thick tan head that settles a bit into a collar with decent lacing

S - roasted, coffee-like grainy aroma; no hops

T - rich malty roasted flavor with a little hop flavor; finishes somewhat malty and sweet

M - medium-full body, moderate carbonation

D - This seems to fit the style well enough. It's very rich with a very strong malt character that is typical of Left Hand beers. For this beer it works well.

09-14-2009 00:39:37 | More by scoobybrew
Cheers

Kansas

3.95/5  rDev -0.8%

a = dark amber to black

s = toasted malt, and a slight coffee aroma

t = chocolate and coffee up front with an enjoyable aftertaste that I can't put my finger on

m = thick coats the mouth nicely and leaves your mouth feeling like you just took a gulp of milk (go figure)

d = A very drinkable stout. One of my favorites for under 10 bucks a six pac.

09-13-2009 19:57:05 | More by Cheers
UA8

Washington

4.03/5  rDev +1.3%

A- Pours a rich dark brown with a tall light brown head.

S- Scents of cocoa powder, caramel, and sweet roasted malts drift up from the head.

T- Flavors of roasted caramel malts, cocoa, and a lactose sweetness.

M- Medium body and carbonation.

D- A tad on the sweet side for all night drinking but I would happily drink two or three of these in a sitting which wouldn't be much of a chore due to the low abv.

09-12-2009 01:18:22 | More by UA8
FernMaster

Missouri

3.9/5  rDev -2%

In order to review this beer effectively the following review was written painstakingly with my left hand only.

Poured from a 12.oz bottle into a goblet.

I once saw a bumper sticker on the back of a car that simply had a red left hand on it encircled inside a white...circle. There was no lettering or detail other than the red left hand. It made me think of Left Hand Brewing Company and that might be a bumper sticker for said company. This made me want a sticker for my car to. And I hate bumper stickers. Really bad ones make me yell like I'm at a town hall meeting. I may have road rage. The reason I recognized the left hand as belonging to Left Hand Brewing was because of this beer, I enjoyed it so much that I now really like Left Hand Brewing and they make it to my recommendations for people getting into beer or looking for something new (from Mid-Missouri selections mind you).

Milk Stout pours nicely enough with very little head. There's head for a second but it quickly subsides, it's like the action in a Jane Austen novel; you think that something is going to happen but then you're left wondering why you haven't moved on to something else. The something else in this case would be the lacing that is left on my glass. The head subsides but the lacing keeps on rockin'. The smell is very faint, if I have the swine flu I'm going to be sad and have to put off reviewing beer but laughing as I miss classes. (Note: College classes. Would a high school kid waste his time reviewing beer when there's Vanessa Hudgens pictures to jerk to?) (Hopefully Disney doesn't squash that joke.) What little smell there is is moderately sweet and a little milky, but it has that bite to it that stouts do. I forgot to mention to color - it looks like a stout. It looks stoutish in the light, stoutish in the glass and stoutish if you swirl it. The taste of this is kind of sweet, with a little hint of chocolate and coffee. The bitterness of the stout is toned down by the sweetness and it blends together really well (and tastes great with ice cream). Milk Stout is very easy to drink and has a great mouthfeel. That says nothing really.

In order for me to review this beer effectively please note that the opening line was a lie.

09-09-2009 02:32:05 | More by FernMaster
stakem

3.9/5  rDev -2%

Bottled-on date got wet and faded, it is no longer visable. Had to pour it forcefully to get 1 finger of tanned head that receeded quickly to just a lace on top of the beer. Color is nearly black with some brown hue along the edges. The nose is sweet upfront from the lactose but includes chocolate and coffee notes as well. The taste of this beer displays all of the properties of the smell; and then some. It has even more bold sweetness than the smell would let you believe. It also tastes of chocolate, coffee and the finish has a bit of bitterness that clings for awhile after the sip. Very smooth and medium mouthfeel, carbination is a bit light.

09-08-2009 23:54:20 | More by stakem
jmjackson6880

4.08/5  rDev +2.5%

A - Pours black with about 2 fingers of a light tan head. Looking through a light, it has a very dark amber color and crystal clarity. Light head hangs around until the last sips and leaves some spotty lacing top to bottom.

S - Roasty, chocolaty with hints of coffee.

T - A nice sweet tinge with malty and roasted flavors present. Chocolate and espresso flavors, without being overdone. A very, very slight hop bitterness on the back of the tongue.

M - Medium body. Not too creamy, with a sort of slick (oily) after. Definately expected it to have more body with a creamier mouthfeel. Would love to try this on a nitro.

D - A nice brew and good session stout. Maybe a little steep on price. Memorable? Kind of.

09-08-2009 01:45:47 | More by jmjackson6880
JTWILDOATS

3.68/5  rDev -7.5%

Understanding Left Hand's approach to uniqueness I figured I's still give this stout a try.

Pours a thick, black molasses--very inviting if you're into the stout genre.

The smell reminds me of the time I made Guiness Floats--Guiness Draught and Vanilla Ice Cream. Has that traditional stout malt smell and taste--but with a creamy base.

This translates into a smooth, very pleasant, sweet, dessert-like, oatmeal-like stout. This almost literally drinks like a milkshake with a twist of adventure and sophistication.

Presents a much more admirable aftertaste than I was expecting--sweet, but not tacky or hallow. Very warming as well.

Give it a try!

09-06-2009 06:35:39 | More by JTWILDOATS
DerBayer

Germany

4.28/5  rDev +7.5%

I REALLY like this beer - it s like a Stout just nice and there actually is a taste of milk in there only that its not nasty the way I anticipated but sexy and attractive and I like it very much.

I ll drink this again and i ll start sampling a style I used to shrink back from...

09-05-2009 19:11:23 | More by DerBayer
LittleDon

4.75/5  rDev +19.3%

Served at the Left Hand tasting room in a pint glass. Jet black, healthy tan head with lasting lace. Dark chocolate and licorice aroma. Rich, creamy, and sweet. Not the strong caramelized malt taste of many stouts, much more subtle. Big mouthfeel. Think melted coffee ice cream with a slight kick. One of my favorite desserts if I can get it on nitro.

09-04-2009 18:43:36 | More by LittleDon
zebulon

2.63/5  rDev -33.9%

Had it on tap as dessert after dinner, really looked forward to it.

Color was dark brown. White head and some white lacing which lasted. Appearance was the best part of this beer.

Some coffee aroma,but down hill from there. First impression of the initial sip was carbonation overwhelming any flavor. Then with time the carbonation died down and the coffee came through. But mouthfeel was light and watery. This is the Bud Light of Stouts! I suppose you could drink this all day but the mouthfeel of a good cup of coffee is more substantial.

08-26-2009 19:59:44 | More by zebulon
mirish72

3.65/5  rDev -8.3%

Picked up a siix at Russell's in Amherst after an Antonio's run.

Pours black with the slightest smell of malt, nothing to strong here. Drinks very smooth and sweet, almost like a chocolate shake, but only lighter on the palate. Can't really say I was blown away, but was impressed with how drinkable this was. Almost like a creamy session stout without the bitterness of a Guinness or Murphy's.

I probably wouldn't go out of my way to pick up more, but I would definitely drink a few if they were in the fridge.

08-26-2009 03:32:45 | More by mirish72
gabe23

4.05/5  rDev +1.8%

A - Black in color with the slightest bit of brown peeking through around the edges. Light brown head that fades quickly but leaves nice lacing.

S - Mild aroma of sweet malt, toasted bread, and dark chocolate. Very nice.

T - Loads of sweet, chocolaty goodness up front. Just when I was worried it might be too sweet, the roasted malt and black coffee bitterness kicks in.

M - Very smooth with medium body and just a touch of carbonation. Slightly oily coating left in the mouth.

D - I'm not a huge fan of milk stouts, but I really liked this one. I could easily put away a few at a sitting.

08-26-2009 01:17:43 | More by gabe23
RomaniIteDomum

3.95/5  rDev -0.8%

The beer poured a dark chocolate black with a caramel colored head that didn't start forming until I stopped pouring.

The smell is a little weak, but I detect chocolate and cream. In fact it smells a little like chocolate pudding.

The taste is comparable to chocolate cake/pudding with a milky finish. I can not detect any of the alcohol, only milk chocolatey goodness. This is a very smooth beer that can probably sneak up on you after a couple.

The feeling in the mouth is quite creamy. The bubbles don't interfere too much.

I could easily drink a couple of these in one sitting, but I would more than likely save this one for the last beer of the night. It would nicely wash down just about anything. I look forward to grabbing a six pack next time instead of a lone bottle.

08-21-2009 05:26:46 | More by RomaniIteDomum
Dodo2step

3.6/5  rDev -9.5%

P- Grape and Gourmet in VA Beach

A- a dark black coffee type of pour that is somewhat viscous. Quite opaque and a tan head that leaves a scattered lacing on my glass.

S- coffee and chocolate with some caramel notes.

T- medium roast coffee flavor with mild chocolate notes.

M- not as creamy as i would want my milk stout. light bodied for amilk stout but goes down smooth.

D- pretty easy to put back and seems like a nice sessionable stout. I prefer the lancaster milk stout myself. Not bad though.

08-13-2009 23:24:17 | More by Dodo2step
srandycarter

3.58/5  rDev -10.1%

A - Almost black, Light mocha head, leaves fast and leaves some cling lace.

S - At first, skanky barnyard. Mellows to light barnyard with milk chocolate and coffee notes.

T - Tastes pretty much like carbonated chocolate milk with a small amount of burnt coffee added.

M - Nice coating carb and balance.

D - Would tire prior to end of session.

08-10-2009 05:03:53 | More by srandycarter
dfranks

Indiana

3.9/5  rDev -2%

Had on tap over at Old Time Ale House in Fishers, IN. Very enjoyable. I believe this could have been my first milk stout and look forward to trying others now. Very smooth and tasty. Poured dark black with sweet smell and just a really good taste. I look forward to going back soon for another...

08-10-2009 01:38:38 | More by dfranks
jxhill

4.43/5  rDev +11.3%

Reviewed in a bar, so color may be a little off, but it looked an opaque and pitch black. Not a lot of head but a moderate amount of lacing. The smell of coffee and toasted barley is not only absolutely delicious, but absolutely overpowering. There is a definite sweet lactose taste balanced by coffee, biscuity malt and toasted nutty flavors. Delicious linger, both sweet and mild. This is a delicious beer and an excellent example of a sweet milk stout.

08-09-2009 21:41:11 | More by jxhill
ATSJer

Kentucky

4.08/5  rDev +2.5%

Bottle to glass
Room temp

Appearance: Pours a smooth extremely dark amber brew that is not quite opaque, typically I like the look of a brew that is completely black with no light showing, but this one looks good. A ½ inch dark almond head built but quickly faded to a thin ring around the glass, the carbonation streams feed the foam ring throughout the drink. As most stouts are to me this one has a definite appeal and fits the category well. There is however no lacing on the glass at all as it slides off with the smooth thin syrup brew.

Smell: I was struck by just how heavy the dark rich malts are in this brew they smelled very good to me, and to balance there was also a medium intensity hop spice as well as another spice that I couldn't quite identify. There is also a sweet syrup smell that is released when the beer is swirled. I can catch hints of toffees, and caramel but there was no burnt or astringent smell.

Taste: As with the smell the rich malts take the lead and layered with them is the sweetness that floats evenly with the hop spice, I was surprised at just how rich the malts are in this brew and while there is a spice it almost comes as a follow up rather than the main show. I would say that the malts are 50%, while the sweetness and the spice make up 25% each which for me balances very well on the tongue and provides a nice complexity that keeps my tongue working. The creaminess of this brew was also pleasant and apparently in keeping with the milk stout style guide. In the end this brew is a full bodied stout with a very rich sweet malt flavor that sometimes reminds me of a cola drink finished as one would expect a stout to do with a bite of bitterness on the back of the tongue.

Mouthfeel: Thick and heavy are the rule here, this is one smooth and creamy brew that is offset well with the moderate carbonation that sharpens the feel up a bit. This stout left a buttery coating in my mouth that I would attribute to the lactose or some diacetyl. On the glass it looked like a thin syrup in the mouth it feels thinner than that but still plenty of body to this brew.

Drinkability: This is a well balanced beer and the malts are by far the most prominent feature, it is rich in flavor and has an appealing spice that seems to dissipate as the brew warms a bit. The carbonation fills you up a bit, but the way this beer slides down really make it a pleasure to drink. This is a nice evening brew around a filet mignon or while sitting with friends for an nice evening, very drinkable and a shame when the glass is empty.

08-02-2009 04:46:10 | More by ATSJer
deg

New Hampshire

4.05/5  rDev +1.8%

I received a bottle and a glass at an area restaurant. I poured the beer into the glass, and it was rich and black. I tried smelling the beer, and I got chlorine. I think this was leftover from the restaurant staff cleaning the glass so I won't rate the beer's smell poorly. I could taste sweetness, roasted malts, and a coffee like flavor. The beer had a milky feel to it, and went down nicely.

07-29-2009 04:20:45 | More by deg
dmamiano

West Virginia

3.23/5  rDev -18.8%

Nice black pour, witha small tan head and sme lacing.
Coffee in the nose, burnt sugars, chocolate notes.
Taste was a bit thin, a little surprised. Expecting a bit more on the feel. Nice chocolate tones with bitter coffee on the other side.
Not bad, but have had better

07-21-2009 14:42:30 | More by dmamiano
Amalak

4.45/5  rDev +11.8%

I had a 12 oz. bottle.
A- Completely black with a tan, foamy head and great lace.
S- Brilliant burnt scent.
T- Excellent burnt taste to match the scent. Light smokiness, well balanced, not too strong, despite decent ABV.

Outside of the masturbatory sound to its name, excellent beer.

07-14-2009 21:19:25 | More by Amalak
showell

Arizona

4.13/5  rDev +3.8%

This is the first Left Hand I've tried. All in all, a nice first from them.

It pours a very dark brown to almost black. A nice two finger head that persists for quite some time. The smell is mostly roasted malt, with a touch of rosted coffee. The taste honestly reminds me of a very strong mocha. A lot of coffee flavor, and a touch of chocolate milk. Really tasty!!! The aftertaste has just a hint of bitterness. Mouthfeel is nice. Not quite as slick as an oatmeal stout. I have to be careful with this. I could probably drink a sixpack, just because I like the flavor. Yum.

07-13-2009 01:59:48 | More by showell
dankbrew21

Oregon

3.7/5  rDev -7%

Poured into a regular pub glass.

A-Very dark, nice two finger head. The tiniest bit of light coming through when held up to the sun. Very concentrated head with slight caramel color.

S- Coffee bean, black licorice and some chocolate coming through. Dark roasted malts.

T- Sweet coffee flavor with licorice and some chocolate coming through Dark roasted malts with a slight smokiness to it. Not to overpowering at all. Slick mouthfeel.

D- I would call this a session stout. I could probably drink a six pack in one night. Very good light stout!

07-07-2009 23:52:05 | More by dankbrew21
woemad

Washington

3.75/5  rDev -5.8%

12oz bottle purchased at Huckleberry's in Spokane for $1.39. Bottled on April 8th of this year, according to the date stamped on the bottle.

Poured a seemingly dark, opaque color, with a small,light tan head, but when held up to the light, the beer took on a decidedly reddish tinge, and was much more transparent than one would have initially suspected. Minimal, spotty lace.

The nose was chocolaty, which I expected, given the style. What did surprise me was that there also was a noticeable, prune-like dark fruit scent as well. In the background was a mild, coffee-like roastiness. No hops to speak of.

The taste was similar to the smell. Initially sweet, but with a bitter fruity taste not too far behind - though this aspect didn'[t seem quite as pronounced as in the nose. Very faint dry note at the swallow.

Medium bodied, and lightly coating in the mouthfeel.

Not a beer that's too terribly worthy of seeking out, but quite drinkable, as it was moderately interesting tasting, without being too demanding on the palate. One of the more sessionable stout's I've had in a while. It reminds me of Laughing Dog's Sweet Stout, except that the latter beer has more oomph in the flavor department. Not a hugely memorable beer, but an easily quaffable stout. Best beer I've had from Left Hand (not that I've been all that impressed with other LH beers that I've tried), and one that I'd drink again given the right circumstances.

06-26-2009 03:59:24 | More by woemad