Left Hand Milk Stout - Left Hand Brewing Company

Left Hand Milk StoutLeft Hand Milk Stout

Left Hand Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  6.00% ABV

ROASTED MALT AND COFFEE FLAVORS BUILD THE FOUNDATION OF THIS CREAMY SWEET STOUT.

Milk sugar in your stout is like cream in your coffee. Dark and delicious, America’s great milk stout will change your perception about what a stout can be. “Preconceived notions are the blinders on the road to enlightenment.” Udderly delightful.

Collection: Perennial
Style: Sweet Stout
Color: Black, 47 SRM
Body: full
ABV: 6%
IBU's: 25
PLATO: 15.5°
PKG: 6-Pack, Keg
Malt: Pale 2-row, Crystal, Munich, Roasted Barley, Flaked Oats, Flaked Barley and Chocolate
Hops: Magnum and US Goldings
Other: Lactose

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-20-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
avalon07

South Carolina

2.88/5  rDev -27.6%

A: When you first look at the color on this beer, it looks like the typical black of a stout. When held up to the light, it's much thinner. A fair amount of head.

S: An OK aroma of roasted malt, coffee, some milk and a little hops.

T: Surprisingly thin for a stout. While you get an above average hit of coffee, there's little else in the flavor. It's simply not that complex.

M: An average body and average amount of carbonation. Smooth finish, though.

D: This is not a beer I can recommend. As I said, it's simply too thin for a stout of any kind.

04-15-2008 13:10:28 | More by avalon07
quikfish13

3.98/5  rDev 0%

Picked this one up from my local Giant Eagle in a sixer. Pours surprisingly clear with a light tan frothy head, and a dark black/amber body that is more transparent at the bottom.

Aromas remind me of milk chocolate with heavily creamed coffee. Nice roasted aroma of coffee beans with a hint of sugar and black licorice.

Very smooth, a nice burst of chocolate milk up front with some nice bittersweet tones. Dark roasted malts, sweetened black coffee, and smooth cocoa come into the middle with a nice bitterness at the end. Reminds be of a very milky hot cocoa. Very modest on the alcohol.

This one goes down very smooth and very rich almost a little too rich. It warms the mouth and bites at the tongue but leaves a very comfortable finish.

With such rich bold flavors I don't believe that I could down the whole sixer. I would say drink this about as much as you would chocolate milk which for me would only be as a sinful treat to myself.

04-15-2008 08:33:00 | More by quikfish13
Cyberkedi

Georgia

4.22/5  rDev +6%

Aroma is strong and smoky with hints of fine coffee. It pours a dark, almost opaque, chocolate brown, not quite as dark as most stouts I have tried; head is very thick, tan, fine-bubbled and persistent. Flavor is rich, with an overtone of unsweetened chocolate and strong smoky and coffee hints. It goes down smoothly and leaves an aftertaste like burnt coffee mixed with bitter chocolate.

04-15-2008 02:04:47 | More by Cyberkedi
Mora2000

4.08/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured a dark brown/black into a pint glass. The head is two fingers thick and tan colored. Very creamy. The beer smells of roasted malts, but overall, there isn't much of a smell.

The taste is chocolate and coffee with some sweetness. It went down easy and I could see myself drinking several of these in one sitting. I only wish I would have tried this on a day where the high temperature wasn't in the 80s.

Overall, this is one of the best sweet stouts I have had. I will definitely have this one again.

04-14-2008 05:19:18 | More by Mora2000
KI9A

3.75/5  rDev -5.8%

A: Dark body, frothy head after an agressive pour.

S: Sweet, roasted malt.

T: Sugary, chocolate malt. I even detected a hop note near the end.

D: A very decent milk stout. I prefer oatmeals & milks, over a dry stout. I can see having some of these in the fridge.

04-12-2008 14:28:57 | More by KI9A
maddogruss

3.9/5  rDev -2%

Poured a 12 ounce bottle of this into a glass mug.

A: Pours a dark brown/black body with a nice, tan head with nice retention and nice lacing along the sides of the glass until the finish.

S: An interesting, bitter smell with roasted barley undertones.

T: A sweet, roasted taste with a sweet, sugary aftertaste. The sweet aftertaste did a nice job of balancing the bitter, roasted barley taste.

M: Nice, smooth mouthfeel that was light and easy going down.

D: A nice, drinkable beer due to a nice mix of a good taste and smooth mouthfeel. Nice roasted taste balanced by the sweeter aftertaste makes the beer excellent overall.

04-09-2008 03:56:07 | More by maddogruss
Beerbuddha

Louisiana

4.33/5  rDev +8.8%

This beer poured a dark black color with a huge, fluffy, tan head. The aroma was of roasted malts. Couldn't detect much else. The taste was of chocolate and coffee. The body was a lot lighter than expected and the carbonation was medium. Overall this beer was great. I wish we had this beer in LA!!! I say that a lot. Pathetic.

04-05-2008 04:02:52 | More by Beerbuddha
joekfsu

3.73/5  rDev -6.3%

12 oz bottle. Pours a nearly opaque dark brown with 2 cm of foamy tan head that is mostly diminishing. Aroma is sweet malt and smoke. Initial flavor is is chocolate and cream. Flavor ends more malty. After taste lingers for a short time. Light lacing, next to no carbonation, light to medium body, and alcohol didn't really make its presence known. Very drinkable beer that pretty much follows what I expected.

04-05-2008 02:50:21 | More by joekfsu
charlzm

3.9/5  rDev -2%

Consumed 03/28/08.

A nice clear dark brown pour, making a one-finger head that quickly becomes a thin foamy skin.

Beery aroma (like a bar). Some dairy notes as well.

Roasty malt character with bitterness on the end. Creamy texture. Milky, even, though there's a not a lot of dairy on the palate. The only dairy/sweet note I noticed was a vague lactic sweetness that I may have even imagined (???).

Not mind blowing, but a good, solid, easy-drinking stout. Reminds me a bit of Old No. 38 from North Coast Brewing.

04-03-2008 01:25:36 | More by charlzm
Nesued

South Carolina

3.35/5  rDev -15.8%

Appearance - Dark chocolate brown pour, a slight head formed upon initial pour from a refrigerated 12 oz bottle. Small ring remained. Perhaps a slight carbonation, however the density of the coloring hinders a final judgement.

Smell - Deep roasted coffee aroma overpowers any initial thoughts. A feint grassy hint is present, but it really has to work to get past the coffee nose.

Taste - The nose matches the taste. Strong coffee hit on the tastebuds with a lingering bite of a harsh bitter at the end. I can feel a bit of the sweetness from the residual suger.

Mouthfeel - For a stout, it does feel a bit light in body, the carbonation is stronger than it looked upon initial pour, which helps provide a bit of chewy mouthfeel.

Drinkability - I've reviewed a few milk stouts and it is nice to expand my palette with another offering.

03-30-2008 00:47:46 | More by Nesued
btuthill

3.33/5  rDev -16.3%

Poured from tap into a pint glass.

A - dark, nearly (if not completely) black. almost zero head. what was there faded fast.
S - perhaps i could chalk it up to a partly stuffy nose, but there wasn't as much as i would have liked.
T - smooth. waited in vain for any one flavor to grab me, but nothing ever did.
M - great. i'd call it 'slimy' if it didn't sound so unappetizing. perhaps 'oily' works better. either way, it was wonderful.
D - could have had a half dozen if there was time. smooth and balanced.

nice beer. my first introduction to the milk stout category, and i'll gladly go back.

03-27-2008 23:51:50 | More by btuthill
Cs1987

Australia

3.73/5  rDev -6.3%

Appearance - Black, 1 finger of brownish head which disappeared before I even touched it. Pretty much no carbonation.

Smell - Strong, very similar to black coffee.

Taste - A great mocha taste, a bit more bitterness than your average stout.

Mouthfeel - Very low carbonation, not as smooth as your average stout.

Drinkability - I wouldn't mind a second.

Overall - Good, but not quite the quality I expect from stouts.

03-27-2008 02:19:45 | More by Cs1987
Jacobob10

4.35/5  rDev +9.3%

I am a lactard so I made sure I was near a bathroom while drinking this, haha. Label says "Bottled on: 04/10/07"

Poured into a pint glass, it had a very dark brown/black color with a small tan head that boasted larger than normal sized bubbles.

The aroma was exceptional. Right away you get hit with roasted malts, coffee, and dark chocolate. A candy-like sweetness is also noticable. Awesome.

The flavor backs up the strong aroma. Lots of coffee and chocolate. Very hearty, full-bodied and delicious.

There is a bitterness that counteracts in a weird way with the sweetness from the lactose. Very smooth but not exactly an "easy drinker."

A quality milk stout. This was the first beer from Left Hand that I have tried. I will be buying more and recommending this to any stout fan I know.

03-26-2008 22:48:25 | More by Jacobob10
blackjack000

Kansas

4.43/5  rDev +11.3%

Appearance: The beer is very, very dark brown, with some marroon edges. A caramel and cream colored head sits a little thin on top. As the beer is drained, the head leaves interesting negative space polka dots.

Smell: Very interesting smell going on. I smell caramel and coffee, baking bread, freshly broken earth. I wish I could better describe the smell. There's something very distinct that I do not know how to express. It reminds me of a spice that I do not know the name of. I know that isn't much help, but let me just tell you that it smells very nice and earthy.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Once again, the earthiness comes through, followed by malty caramel offset with a bit of hops, all the while sitting on a smooth body.

Drinkability: This was a very fun stout to drink. I constantly felt challenged with how to define the tastes and smells I was experiencing. The smoothness and the sweet tones really make a relaxing experience.

03-26-2008 16:15:26 | More by blackjack000
gwong

3.98/5  rDev 0%

A: Pours jet black with a thin tan head that doesn't stay for very long. Very faint lacing on the glass.

S: Strong scent of roasted chocolate with roasted coffee right behind it.

T: The roasted coffee is more prevalent in the taste - it's like a sweetened espresso drink with a hint of chocolate flavor.

M: Creamy and smooth on the tongue with little carbonation.

D: Moderate ABV and good mouthfeel makes for a very drinkable beer.

Serving type: growler

03-22-2008 22:35:47 | More by gwong
garymuchow

3.95/5  rDev -0.8%

Nice roasty aroma upon pouring with well cooked almost burnt quality and hints of bitter chocolate. Lactose provides its typical light sweetness and softness.
Black, with deep reddish hues when held to the light. Tan head of an inch initially that settles to a smeary cap in time. A good amount of lacing.
Flavor matches aroma quite closely. Dry, roasty, and a little less burnt. Some sweetness up front. Slightly bitter taste that lingers and intermingles with the dryness for a lengthy finish.
At times drinks kinda' light and thin, but not always. The roast seems to offer an heavy quality and the ample carbonation (for style) provides some bulk.
An interesting mix of qualities that combine for a nicely drinkable beer of good, but not great quality or satisfaction.

03-21-2008 04:32:26 | More by garymuchow
bort11

Missouri

4.13/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Left hand is pretty new in MO right now, so i wanted to give something new a shot.

12 oz bottle poured into an imperial pint glass. Mocha colored head stands a half inch and quickly recedes the a thin film on the surface. Color is a dark reddish brown with a lot more clarity than I would have expected.

Smell is a dark fudgey cocoa with a hint of coffee. Taste is like a mocha latte. Chocolate and coffee swirled around with a lactose creaminess. Dark and roasted flavors.

Mouthfeel is obviously creamy and slick. Kind of filling, so one is enough for now. this is a pretty good dessert beer, and I'm glad it is now in KC.

03-21-2008 04:13:39 | More by bort11
RblWthACoz

4.1/5  rDev +3%

Pours a clear very dark brown with a slim tan head. Nose is a nice cocoa powder. Flavor is nice and smooth. Good sweet tone. Nice milky edge. Mild cocoa properties. Noticeable roasted edge. Good, smooth feel. This is a very easy drinking stout. I might venture to say that it could be one to sway non-beer drinkers right on over to our side.

Serving type: growler

03-18-2008 19:28:47 | More by RblWthACoz
indiapaleale

3.48/5  rDev -12.6%

Pours silky smooth with a smallish coffee colored head. The smell is definitely sweet, both of malt but also a sweetness that is unique to milk stouts I would imagine. Its got some hints of hot chocolate and coffee as well.

Tastes smooth as it pours. Its sweet and feels like chocolate milk in your mouth. This is an interesting beer that I'm glad I had the chance to try. I don't know how many of these I could drink back to back, its pretty sweet and I'd be crazing some hop bitterness after the second one.

03-18-2008 03:49:37 | More by indiapaleale
nasty15108

3.38/5  rDev -15.1%

This stout was consumed as part of a tasting session with my buddy and co-worker Hyland24. It was poured from a brown 12oz. bottle (stamped with bottled on 01/23/08)into a tulip pint glass.

A - Poured pitch black with about an inch of tan foam. Holding the glass up to the light revealed a slight ruby hue near the bottom. Very faint almost nonexistant lacing.

S - Sweet smell of roasted malt. Light hints of alcohol,chocolate syrup and espresso.

T - At first a I got hints of toffee. It than finished off with a burnt and slightly bitter-sweet chocolate taste with hints of strong coffee.

MF&D - A little thin with a slightly carbonated mouthfeel. It did however manage to coat my mouth and allow the flavor to hang around. This is a decent example of this style. I'm glad I tried it, but I'm not sure I'd go out of my way for it. If you enjoy Milk/Sweet Stout it's definatly worth a try.

03-06-2008 15:58:26 | More by nasty15108
morebeergood

3.23/5  rDev -18.8%

Tried this on tap last Thursday at the Kinsale in Government Center. Came in a pint glass, and the color was black as night. No head whatsoever, and the beer almost looked flat from the lack of carbonation. The smell was malty and aromatic. Taste-wise, this was my first milk stout, and an interesting introduction. All I could think of was that someone mixed half glass of stout with half a glass of chocolate milk. It was almost too sweet. I would be interested to try another milk stout to see if others are as sugary. Even sweeter than Young's Double Chocolate Stout. I think you could drink a few of these because it is so sweet tasting, which is fine. But a few sweet beers may not be the best session beer out there. A nice beer to try once or to have with a dessert. Don't have this after an IPA, like I did.

03-04-2008 01:08:44 | More by morebeergood
swizzlenuts

Wisconsin

4.08/5  rDev +2.5%

A: Slightly thick pouring, with a cm worth of head that is cream coloured, and no appearance of carbonation

S: The beer smells like a chocolate milk with hints of roasted malts.

T: This beer is incredibly sweet; however, the sweetness isn't like a fruit beer, but it kind of makes it taste like chocolate milk. The chocolate flavour is mixed with coffee, which is fucking brilliant; it reminds me of a putting chocolate syrup into milk and then making a mocha out of that milk. Not much hops at all, but a bit of carbonation at first.

M: A bit of carbonation, with a medium thickness to the beer.

D: Not too sure how drinkable this beer would be, because of the sweetness, but I can't stop drinking this!

03-02-2008 00:52:54 | More by swizzlenuts
liammaloney

Rhode Island

3.58/5  rDev -10.1%

You know, I had never had a milk stout before this one, and now my curiosity is piqued.

It was dark, obviously, but just barely opaque, and so dark it was almost purple. I reminded me of Superman's hair in the old comic.

The smell was crusty, like a skin of milk chocolate with ashy charcoal. That chocolaty, milky aroma melded right into the taste which started out like vanilla panacotta, and finished with burnt caramel. The was all accompanied by a thin, filmy, languid head, that followed right down the glass.

The finish was subtly hoppy, dry, and short, with some smoke.

It had all these great flavors, but I had to work a little to get them out, and it left me wishing for just a bit "more". A great start, and it will get me looking for more Left Hand beers out of curiosity.

02-29-2008 05:05:25 | More by liammaloney
omnigrits

3.75/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a 16oz glass, we have before us a dark, opaque beer which lets almost no light through even when held up to a light. A tan-coloured head which quickly dissipates to a ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass and not much lacing. Malty, coffee aromas coming from the glass, and these are repeated in the taste with some added caramel hints and the merest suggestion of hops. A good balance of sweetness and bitterness. Not too heavy on the mouthfeel... just about right I'd say. Overall a very nice, though not exactly exceptional, milk stout. I'd be very content to drink this all evening. Yum.

02-29-2008 00:23:48 | More by omnigrits
barleywinefiend

Washington

3.53/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured black with a ruby hue. The head was tan colored and thick with tight bubbles - some lacing. The aroma is a bit caramel. The taste is roasted and chocolaty. The mouthfeel is on the thick side. This is a nice, smooth beer that I'd consider quite drinkable but Widmer Snow Plow is much better.

02-27-2008 02:52:07 | More by barleywinefiend