Left Hand Milk Stout - Left Hand Brewing Company

Left Hand Milk StoutLeft Hand Milk Stout

Left Hand Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  6.00% ABV

ROASTED MALT AND COFFEE FLAVORS BUILD THE FOUNDATION OF THIS CREAMY SWEET STOUT.

Milk sugar in your stout is like cream in your coffee. Dark and delicious, America’s great milk stout will change your perception about what a stout can be. “Preconceived notions are the blinders on the road to enlightenment.” Udderly delightful.

Collection: Perennial
Style: Sweet Stout
Color: Black, 47 SRM
Body: full
ABV: 6%
IBU's: 25
PLATO: 15.5°
PKG: 6-Pack, Keg
Malt: Pale 2-row, Crystal, Munich, Roasted Barley, Flaked Oats, Flaked Barley and Chocolate
Hops: Magnum and US Goldings
Other: Lactose

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-20-2002)
3.55/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I drank this stout from a frosted pint glass. It was an overall sweet taste with none too much AA% for a milk stout. It's an excellent dark dessert beer with a brown head. One thing I could not shake was a very light hint of a metallic flavor. The beer was bottled 3 months prior, so it may have been from the age and bottling process, but overall I still enjoyed the beer and it was definitely worth it's money.

4.2/5  rDev +5.5%

A: tons of lace but only a half finger head, black with no light getting through.

S: coffee and roast dominate.

T: light coffee and roast with perfect semi sweet dark chocolate finish.

M: moderate carbonation and medium to full body. a little creamy.

Overall: I liked this one a lot but then again I like most milk stouts.

3.85/5  rDev -3.3%

A - A hint of red surrounds this sweet stout

S - Refreshing scent of roated malt and earthy tones

T - I don't like cream in my coffee, but a sugary milk in my stout is acceptable, if not exceptional. Some hints of spice and an alcohol warmth is surprising, and perhaps not necessary.

M - Creaminess good, tingliness from a heavycarbonation not so much.

A little off the path of a standard sweet stout, but I appreciate the uniqueness.

3.45/5  rDev -13.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle, bottled on 3/17/2011, into a Duvel tulip.

Black. A fairly vigorous pour gave a small, light brown head that dissipated quickly. The body otherwise looked like cold coffee.

The aroma is sweet and roasty. Smells a lot like a coffee stout with some sugar added - not that I'm going to complain about that.

The flavor has some chocolate that I didn't pick up in the aroma along with bitter, over brewed coffee. There's a definite sweetness there that I would have thought would overcome some of the burnt coffee bitterness but no such luck.

Great mouthfeel. Thick and smooth with just the right amount of carbonation to cut through the oilyness.

Overall it's not bad but the overly burnt flavors detract too much for me so I don't think I'll pick it up again. A shame, really, because otherwise this would be a very nice winter beer.

4.22/5  rDev +6%

From memory, had on tap at Scotty's Brewhouse in West Lafayette.

Came to me almost pitch black in pour with a nice tan colored head that was very, very dense foam. Lacing was tremendous. It left a solid layer of foam all the way down.

At first taste, you get tastes of coffee, milk, chocolate, and an overall burnt flavor I can't quite put my finger on. A slight sweetness with no hops bitterness detectable.

It was a little thicker on the palate with less carbonation, but both of these characteristics complimented the brew and added to the drinking experience.

Overall, I'm going to have this again when I can. Not something to drink a lot of regularly, but a very good beer.

3.93/5  rDev -1.3%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

A: pitch black, dark color typical of stouts. it had a nice yellow/amber colored head which dissipated quickly. Nice lacing on glass.

S: I did not pick up much of a nose from this beer, faint caramel smell and a faint cocoa smell, not strong.

T: nice smooth taste of cocoa with some hop bitterness on the back end, slight coffee notes.

M: effervescent and smooth a little bit of hop bitterness on the tongue with a nice clean finish this was not a heavy/thick beer.

Overall: I enjoyed this beer, stouts are my favorite style and this beer had nice carbonation and good balance of the cocoa/coffee with the hop bitterness.

4.45/5  rDev +11.8%

Arrives thr color of semi-sweet chocolate, I.e. almost black. Very lttle head on a pint mug filled to within 1/4" of the rim. Som scattered lacing.
Smell is rich, malty, coffee, toffee, dark chocolate, caramelized fruits (raisins, etc.)with a hint of cocoanut hiding ij the back. Let it warm up and you'll find it.
Taste is malt and coffee with lesser parts of dark chocolate and dark fruit. Balance is not as solid as in the nose, however.
Medium body though it leans a little fuller. Good light effervescence enough to keep it from being cloying. Finish is a touch watery. A very nice beer.

3.93/5  rDev -1.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. capped bottle (Bottled On 06/28/11) into a pint glass.

A strong pour yields a 2-finger tan-colored head that recedes after a good few minutes to a thin, slightly clumpy dusting and thin foam ring. The body is a deep mahogany brown with traces of crimson red when held to light. Good but thin lacing covers most of the glass's available surface area throughout consumption.

The nose seems dominated by dark, roasted malts. Notes of warm whole grain bread, freshly roasted coffee beans, and bakers chocolate give this beer a very earthy, welcoming quality.

Slightly sweet at first, this beer has a very smooth taste to it. Milk chocolate and sweet cream start each sip. Once swallowed, roasted malts join in with notes of mocha and caramel. A dry coffee aftertaste with hints of sugary sweetness finishes each sip.

Medium bodied with good carbonation, this beer may seem a little light, but is just right for the style in my opinion. The body is very drinkable as it coats your mouth well but does not become sticky. The carbonation is not very noticeable but is definitely helping to keep this beer's drinkability up. Overall, this beer has a very slick mouthfeel that allows the flavors to manifest and evolve over appropriate amounts of time.

3.4/5  rDev -14.6%

Served on nitro tap into a 16oz glass.

A: Very dark, almost pitch black. A very nice creamy 1 finger head lasted throughout the glass.

S: Slight chocolate and a little bit of sweetness.

T: Deep malt flavor that could have been much stronger, seemed watered down. Slightly sweet with a cream taste to it at the start.

M: Very creamy and smooth. A little light to my liking for a stout but good.

O: First time I had this beer on nitro tap. Would have again on nitro. Could use a little more of a complex taste and a thicker mouthfeel.

3.28/5  rDev -17.6%

Had on nitro-tap-, poured into a tuliped pint glass

A-Incredible looking, dark dark brown, bordering on black, relatively opaque, with creamy bubbles descending from a thick khaki 2 finger head that left excellent lacing.

S-A bit weak, tons of chocolate, roast malt, coffee and some sweetness

T-Even weaker than the smell, chocolate and coffee with roast malt, but the flavor feels a bit too watered down.

M-Creamy, carbonated and smooth

O- Overall, the nitro really saved this otherwise relatively weak stout.

3.68/5  rDev -7.5%

Poured from a growler into a snifter.

A: Very black pour. A hint of light coming through giving some deep red highlights. One finger mocha colored head with great retention and awesome lacing.

S: Roasted and smoked malts. Chocolate. Cream, like coffee creamer. Not a huge aroma but not to light either.

T: Taste is a tad light. Sweet chocolate and cream upfront. A light roasty bitterness in the middle, with a light smokiness also. A coffee creamer flavor in the finish.

M: Full to medium bodied. Very creamy and smooth. Great mouth coating. A tad high on the carbonation.

O: This is a good beer. A bit subdued on aroma and flavor, but definitely easy drinking. Worth a shot.

4.65/5  rDev +16.8%

Tried this for the first time tonight in a 12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. A sixer was 10.99. Pours dark dark brown more like a robust porter than a stout with a wonderful nutty coffee smell. Taste is quite malty and nutty with a slightly sweet finish. Very drinkable and very tasty. I like this beer a lot. It would be great with a dark chocolate or chocolate covered cherries. Kind of a "dessert beer" but seasionable as well. Very good.

4.22/5  rDev +6%

Pours jet black with a paper thin head into my ccb snifter aroma of roasted malts, caramel. Almost like roasted marshmallows. Taste follows the nose, sweet but not overdone, finishes roasty and a bit dry making me come back for more. Very delicious, my go to milk stout

pours as a brown to dark brown look with a head. This very nice creamy malt taste. This is a very good drinkable beer. This is a very good beer. It is a very balance beer in taste. It is always with dessert. Ice cream and cake etc. I really love this beer.

3.93/5  rDev -1.3%

Pours a dark reddish/brown color with a one finger tan head. The aroma is cafe con leche. I don't really get any chocolate notes, just coffee with cream and sugar. The taste follows suit.It's slightly sweet, but the sweetness is balanced by a nice roasted bitterness. The mouthfeel is surprisingly light and so is the body. Carbonation is minimal. This is a tasty beer and is enjoyed best for dessert or with with dessert.

4.05/5  rDev +1.8%

A: Pours out a root beer color but black once inside the glass. I managed a long-lasting two finger tan head that hung around for a while. Very good lacing.

S: Lots of roasted and chocolate malt with a little smokiness hanging around. Lactose is noticeable, adding some sweetness and a creamy smell.

T: This is very creamy, one of the more generous uses of lactose in a milk stout. Cocoa, a well-chosen variety of malts, and milk make up most of the flavor. This has a slight amount of bitterness, I presume its from the light char they gave the malts.

M: Robust and soft. A smooth, velvety mouthfeel make this one of my favorites.

O: This is one of the finest examples of the style. A great valued six pack beer that I could drink all night long. I can't find much of a flaw.

3.95/5  rDev -0.8%

Pours a deep, dirty oil black, with minimal creamy tan head and fair lacing. Aroma is of a malty earthiness, with nuts, coffee, and a hint of vanilla. Mouthfeel is medium bodied. Taste is also earthy, with a nuttiness on top of some strong coffee flavors and a hint of hops. This is overall lighter than some stouts but very good indeed.

3.9/5  rDev -2%

Poured from a bottle dated 6/18/11 into a SA perfect pint glass. I allowed this beer to warm for 20 minutes after removing it from the fridge.

Poured very dark brown, but not quite as black as some stouts I have had. Ruby hues around the glass edges as I hold it to the light. 1 1/2" of heavy cream colored head that receded to a modest cap in about 5 minutes. Decent lacing.

Smell is roasted malts and bitter coco. I also think I can smell the lactose sugar as this is a unique smell that I only get in this style.

Taste follows the nose to a perfect T. Bitter chocolate, roasted malt, and a hint of coffee on the tail end, after I swallow and take a few breaths. Mild and very drinkable for a stout. I think I could drink several at one sitting.

Mouthfeel is very thin and watery. Doesn't seem to have a lot of carbonation, but I also poured this bottle rather aggressively.

Overall it was a great representation of the style and I will be enjoying this beer many more times in the future. I seem to remember the first time I had this, it was better. This might be due to freshness.

4.01/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I got other things to do, so this review will be very, very, very short. Or maybe not, I don't know. Excited to perhaps have a good, sweet stout. I poured it into a snifter.

Milk Stout pours an opaque black color with just a semblance of brown. Very little head that's off-white. The lack of head really drags it down a bit in my eyes. The beer doesn't look dynamic.

I don't smell anything too amazing here. It's all a little faint and reserved, but there is a nice balance of sweet, roasted malts, a little chocolate and milk to give it a smoothness I really like.

I doesn't really come at your taste buds head-on, but it has a very pleasant and pleasing taste that really lives up to its namesake. Some roasted bitterness offsets the sweet, smoothness of milk and a hint of chocolate. Nothing mind-blowing, but a simple delight.

A tad watery, but still pretty creamy and really full-bodied enough. It's helped by some surprisingly active carbonation that really livens the beer up.

My first experience with Left Hand doesn't blow me away, but it's a great, simple beer to just sit back with and relax with. It delivers on the sweet side, which I always enjoy in a stout and is incredibly drinkable.

3.15/5  rDev -20.9%

I've reviewed quite a few stouts recently, but this is not only the first "milk stout" that I've reviewed, it's also the first I've ever tasted. Adhering to my previous view-point that a stout is a stout, I'm just going to review this stout like it were any other.

Poured from a bottle into a room temperature, wide-mouthed glass.

-Appearance 3.5: Very dark brown liquid. I wouldn't necessarily call this color "black," but it is close. Try as I might, I couldn't get any head to form. At all.

-Smell 2.0: Very little bouquet on this beer after it was poured. I could pick up just the hint of chocolate, but it was just a hint. Strange.

-Taste 3.5: Very subdued taste. I tasted the usual, wonderful stout ingredients: chocolate, smoky grains, some hops, but all of it was very subdued. This beer is also very, very smooth. Almost like drinking milk; must be the milk sugar. Almost no noticeable carbonation. Maybe this was an effort on the brewer's part to make the stout seem like it came from the tap. Aftertaste is distracting: flat and yeasty.

-Mouthfeel 3.0: The smoothness in the taste translates into the mouth feel. However, I found the lack of carbonation took away from my enjoyment of the beer. I like my stouts with some bubbles, and not necessarily the nitrogen fueled type.

-Overall 3.5: A pretty good stout. The "milk aspect" is an interesting part of the whole experience, but has little bearing on the stout itself. This is a beer that one should try if they have the chance, but it is not recommended as a session beer.

3.23/5  rDev -18.8%

pours pitch black like a stout should but lacks good thick creamy foam head that i expect from a stout... color is lighter for a stout almost an almond appliance color.

Smell is of.... NOTHING this is the second beer from this brewery that i have reviewed and i smell NOTHING... maybe some light malt notes and faint hops .... but i really have to try just to smell any of it... very disappointing!!!

taste is better than ok... maybe a little watery for a stout. Malt starts with a light coffee in the middle and some bitter chocolate towards the end. No real major hop flavor.

mouth - feel is full bodied. pretty creamy but could be a little thicker... but i'll give it a four cause i feel bad about giving this beer a poor rating...

overall ehh... it was ok not a bad beer... just nothing spectacular... nothing separates it from anything else and if you compare it to something else its most likely lacking. unfortunately i think i have been turned off to the Left Handed Brewery.

4.22/5  rDev +6%

When to one of my favorite local craft beer bars and already loved this beer just never had it on draft.

A- Dark as night, with a tiny lace of foam around the top with a good dose of carbonation.

S- A very nice creamy smell with, mild hints of chocolate. Didn't at first get a milk smell more just a cremy light chocolate.

T- Absolutely fantastic! A rich and hearty taste, can easily depict the milk taste. Not to overpowering and nice malty finish.

M- Great drinkability, smooth with mild carbonation and a great finish.

Overall- I was very impressed I've now had this on nitro- tap, draft and in bottle and love it each time! Cheers

4.08/5  rDev +2.5%

Pours a deep, deep black, with significant, 2-finger layer of head on the top. Plenty o lacing, the pint is coated with froth all the way. Smells of cream, with undertones of malt, coffee, alcohol bringing up the rear. A big, not huge,taste, predominantly dairy and malt flavors. While decadently smooth and thick, the mouthfeel runs dangerously close to crossing the line into "loogie" consistency, but holds together.

Delicious beer, good drinking experince.

4.78/5  rDev +20.1%

A- It poured a nice husky amber, almost black color.

S- Has a light smoky aroma and hints of roasted malt and sweetness.

T- Easily drinkable with flavor dominated by roasted malts and very sweet chocolate. Not too heavy handed. A nicely balanced stout.

M- Mouthfeel was light to medium bodied. Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth. A little lighter feel than other stouts.

O- What's not to like?,it's quite enjoyable and reminds me of a beer version of a milk shake. Will definitely have again.

3.4/5  rDev -14.6%

A: Its a very very dark red beer, so much that it looks black. The head is a nice tanned bubbly.

S: Roasty sweetness dominates the smell. The thing is, its just not that strong. I expected more.

T: It has that traditional espresso/coffee flavor that stouts are known for. Its a tad sweet, but I don't get a lot of it.

M: This is a full bodied beer, and is very very smooth, even more-so than Guinness. Very good texture.

D: Its sweet enough that it's not very drinkable for me, I'd stick with one.

Left Hand Milk Stout from Left Hand Brewing Company