Left Hand Milk Stout - Left Hand Brewing Company

Left Hand Milk StoutLeft Hand Milk Stout

Left Hand Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  6.00% ABV

ROASTED MALT AND COFFEE FLAVORS BUILD THE FOUNDATION OF THIS CREAMY SWEET STOUT.

Milk sugar in your stout is like cream in your coffee. Dark and delicious, America’s great milk stout will change your perception about what a stout can be. “Preconceived notions are the blinders on the road to enlightenment.” Udderly delightful.

Collection: Perennial
Style: Sweet Stout
Color: Black, 47 SRM
Body: full
ABV: 6%
IBU's: 25
PLATO: 15.5°
PKG: 6-Pack, Keg
Malt: Pale 2-row, Crystal, Munich, Roasted Barley, Flaked Oats, Flaked Barley and Chocolate
Hops: Magnum and US Goldings
Other: Lactose

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-20-2002)
4.7/5  rDev +18.1%

A - Looks like a very nice black with only slight amber hues. Head is only a half inch that quickly turns to a ring of sticky lace.

S - hmm not as heavy roast as expected but quite a but of chocolate and lactose that gives an almost vanilla hue.

T - Ow wow that's creamy. I got very little hop bitterness or even roast with mostly creamy chocolate malted milk balls and a touch to vanilla goodness.

M - One of the smoothest body's I ever had on a stout. Almost like chocolate milk beer (It's better than it sounds).

Overall another beer I will have to pick up at the Estate at least a six pack. A damn fine milk stout.

3.85/5  rDev -3.3%

A: Pours a pitch black color, small tan head with very slight lacing down the glass
S: Not much on the nose with this one, slight roasted malts and chocolate
T: Nice roasted malt with a milk chocolatey sweetness
M: Perfectly smooth going down...nice!!
O: Overall a pretty good beer, not enough breweries make these type of stouts in my opinion...pretty good beer.

3.33/5  rDev -16.3%

Beer poured from bottle into Dogfish head style glass

A - Body of the beer was poured with a dark brown, almost black colored body; look very watery and not very solid

S - Subtle hints of coffee and oatmeal; slightly lactose but very liquidy; needs more body; light espresso notes; chocolate milk; light espresso ice cream

T - Lighter coffee and roasted malt flavors; not very chocolaty or coffee-ish and very runny; lacks substantial stout flavors; could use more kick

M - Flavors wash away very quickly and lack much bite; light and runny; watery

D- OK; not the best sweet Stout I've head but deserves some recognition

T - Good drink, but needs more body and more flavor; I'd recommend this to a beginner trying to get their feet wet in the culture of beer flavor

4.05/5  rDev +1.8%

Reviewing from notes here, because when I had this I was a bit too busy with some friends to pull out the iPhone and be anti-social on BA.

The appearance is dark and fairly standard. Given that it was on gravity cask, I can't really knock its lackluster lacing and absent head. A dark brown to black body that went to brown at the edges, this one smelled like chocolate milk, with malts and cream poking out most. Taste is the same, which could be classified as boring if it weren't exactly what I wanted at the time. Exclamation points throughout my notes, and there were high fives all around.

Its taste profile isn't the most interesting, but it's a milk stout through and through, and if that's what you're in the mood for, Left Hand does not let you down.

4.22/5  rDev +6%

With much anticipation I finally scored a sixer of Left Hand Milk Stout.
It pours to a nice thick 1 fat finger head which dissolves quickly leaving the sides quite coated.
The aroma is that of coffee and dark chocolate leaving me thinking this might be a bit more bitter than I was expecting.
Upon drinking I was quite pleased with the texture in my mouth. Thick and not unlike chocolate milk.
While the flavors I described earlier were certainly present, as it went down the milky cocoa/chocolate taste that I was hoping for came and made me smile as I drank it down.
Overall I would say this is a very good milk stout and definately worth trying if you are tired of the same old run of the mill stouts.

3.23/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Purchased a six-er on a recommendation from a buddy for $9, so the price point wasnt too bad. Poured aggressively into a pint glass. I dont quite know what to expect out of this one, as I havent tried this style in quite a while. Pretty cool label on this one though with a cow with black hands on it instead of spots. Being from Wisconsin, I can appreciate this sort of label.

a-thick frothy, light brown head that holds for quite a while and left some lacing as it retreated. The beer is a dark, dark brown color, almost black. Very little light gets through this one.

s-i dont really get much of a nose off of this guy. real light cocoa and roasted character. Sort of a surprise to me.

t-again, im not getting as much out of this beer as I had expected. some chocolate notes, some toasted malts. Very little in the way of anything resembling milk or any of those flavors. There is a nice richness to it, but nothing that blows me away

m-this was my favorite part of the beer. great balance of carbonation and weight. Very creamy feel in my mouth. Makes me want to swish it around in my mouth and froth it up, then drink it down.

overall, a very good beer and very drinkable. The sixer it came it proclaimed it as "the best stout in America" so I obviously had high hopes going in. Having just tasted another stout before this one, I can say in my opinion, their sixer box lies. A good drinkable stout, but not one I would go out of my way to get my hands on again.

4.28/5  rDev +7.5%

The specs stores around houston are pretty much universally carrying this now. After much debating I gave it a try on the recommendation of a friend. It reminds me very much of a solid chocolate stout made with chocolate milk. While that may seem a bit off putting at first it's actually not once you try it. This has a rich and full mouth feel, solid chocolate and milk notes up front with a slight sweet and bitter chcolate milk finish. Overall bitterness is very low (I would guess 30-40 IBU), but balanced. This is not something you pound a whole six pack of, but it's great to have in the beer fridge for an occasional treat.

3.25/5  rDev -18.3%

Left Hand Milk Stout has a very dark colored body with a white head. Retention and lacing are OK.

The aroma has lots of chocolate and roast.

The flavor has a good bit of chocolate, with lots of sweetness. The sweetness is cut by a large roasted flavor that is probably the single strongest flavor in the beer. Just a hint of creamy-tasting lacto comes out in the middle.

Pretty light body, feels thin.

I'm surprised I have never tried this one before. I don't have very strong feelings about it one way or another.

4.43/5  rDev +11.3%

Label said it was bottled on 12/10/10. I paid $1.99 at Total Wine.

Pours nearly black with just traces of espresso on the edge and in the light. It went into a pint glass hard and gave a thin beige head that receded promptly to a ring and island with some lacing.

Smells of cappuccino, vanilla, light roasted malts. A very nice though not overpowering smell. It makes you work for it a bit.

Most immediately noticeable when it goes in the mouth is the texture. Wow - velvety soft, rich, not bitter or boozy. Then I notice the sweet coffee flavors, some 60% dark chocolate (i.e. not highly bitter). Flavors are not super intense like a Russian imperial, but then again they are not supposed to be either. Very well balanced all around and one of the better examples of the style. I think I prefer this to the Lancaster Milk Stout.

At 5.2%ABV, I could drink this all night. Superb drink-ability and killer value. Yeah, I'll buy this again.

4.58/5  rDev +15.1%

I really like this in a bottle, but on draught (nitro tap) this is heaven.

Pours black as night with a tan head which is as creamy and smooth as mousse. Lacing is an understatement, as my pint glass is coated with foam as I finish the beer.

Smell: Coffee, carmel, chocolate, roasted malted barley.

Taste is also coffee, carmel, chocolate, malt.

Sillky, smooth and hearty stout. Coffee aftertaste.

Overall? This is by far the best stout I've tasted to date. Good in a bottle, great on tap.

A- 4 Looks black on the pour, but you can see it is super dark brown when held in light. There's a half-finger bubbly tan head that dwindles down to a ring around the edge of the snifter throughout. Its tiny bubbles lace the walls smoothly. Looks like a good, solid stout should look.

S- 4 Milk Stout's aroma is comprised of heavy milk chocolate up front and dark, roasted malts. There's the slightest hop presence in the background that gives it a cleanness. Not the most complex scent, but quite appealing nonetheless.

T- 4 Chocolate comes to mind at first with the taste of this brew. It is a little malty as well. It finishes with a touch of hop bittnerness to counteract the chocolate sweetness, and it works pretty nicely.

M- 4 Creamy and smooth medium-bodied brew that has ample carbonation. It leaves me a tad dry.

D- 4 This is an impressively consistent brew all around. I appreciate how well in line its aroma and taste fall; I found no surprises between the two. While I have had more interesting stouts, I must say that this is one worth falling back on. It has a nice sweetness that is well-balanced by just enough hop presence, and is light enough for the style that I could put down a few of 'em. I'd recommend and most likely buy again.

3.45/5  rDev -13.3%

Purchased from: Williams IGA (Vienna, Ohio)
Origin: 12oz Bottle
Bottled on: ?
Tasted on: 07-13-11
Glassware: DFH Snifter
Serving Temperature: 45 F

Notes: Reviewed from notes

I) Appearance: Pours a very faint tan head. 1/4 finger which dissipates within a minute. Body is black, only leaving light through around the edges of the glass revealing faint, tan wisps.

II) Smell: Very faint nose. Roasted malts, a little coffee and maybe some cocoa.

III) Taste: Light creamy (slightly sweet) upfront that quickly turns to a roasty malt flavor. Leaves some chocolate and coffee behind to hang around. No noticeable alcohol.
A) Malt Intesity (1-5): 2
B) Hop Intesity (1-5): 1

IV) Mouthfeel: Creamy, thin and had a tight, fizzy carbonation.

V) Drinkability: Extremely drinkable stout. Smooth, creamy and easy going. At only 5.5% ABV this is a great session beer.

VI) Concluding thoughts: I actually really liked this one overall. I have had only a handful of cream stouts and this has to be one of my favorites.

3.75/5  rDev -5.8%

Had this on nitro tap at Falling Rock in Denver.

Beer poured quite dark into a goblet. A little bit of head, but not a whole lot of lacing if I remember correctly.

WTF? All I was getting on the nose was a blast of sweet butter. Was this the nitro? Or a diacetyl infection? Only the taste would tell..

Whew, no diacetyl infection. A little bit roasty, very sweet and smooth. Pretty typical sweet stout I guess. Don't have a ton of experience with the style.

Mouthfeel was silky smooth probably due to the nitro.

Overall a tasty beer. Felt the nitro may have killed the smell but it was still a good beer.

4.1/5  rDev +3%

A- Black with some brownish hues around the edges. Moderate rocky tan head that dissipates to a thin collar, leaving minimal lacing.

N- Sweet roasted malt with a touch of chocolate, vaguely reminiscent of malt balls. Nothing too complex, but it smells delicious.

T- Sweet chocolatey malt with a firm bite from the roastiness. Minimal hop bitterness with some grassy accents. Towards the finish, the roasty bite calms down and blends better with the hops. Grassy and roasty aftertaste.

M- Medium bodied and creamy with moderate carbonation and a semidry roasty finish.

D- Overall, a tasty stout. Not something I would trade for since it's not available in my state, but I'm definitely ordering a pint if I ever see it on tap while I'm traveling.

3.38/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into a Pint Glass.

A - Pours a very dark brown with reddish highlights and a creamy, 1/2-inch khaki head that quickly dissipates to some patchy haze.
S - Dark roasted malt, coffee-and-cream, chocolate, and a faint whiff of vanilla. Fairly typical Milk Stout aromas, but not bad.
T - More roasted malt and coffee give way to sweet milk chocolate and some caramel. Definitely on the sweeter side of the Milk Stout spectrum, this would make a great dessert beer.
M - Disappointingly thinner-bodied then I'd hoped, probably medium-thin overall, with moderate carbonation. I was hoping this would be a bit creamier.
O - Not bad, probably would be a good beginner beer. A bit sweet for my taste.

3.58/5  rDev -10.1%

Bottled on 11/24/10.

A - I got a half-finger khaki head from a gentle pour into a snifter. The head dissipated in about a minute leaving a thin collar that produced some lacing when swirled. It is coffee colored with reddish hues when held to the light.

S - Roasted malts, hints of vanilla and toasted marshmallow. There is a slight smattering of coffee and cocoa.

T - Very mild up front with subtle toffee sweetness. Roasted malts and trace vanilla in the finish with a little bit of hop bitterness. I could not detect as many of the aromatic qualities in the taste, it was mostly roasted malt.

M - Smooth med/light body with medium carbonation. The carbonation is a bit much considering the mild flavor profile. There is no alcohol presence.

O/D - This is a decent beer, but it lacks the level of taste complexity that my palette is accustomed to. I don't think I'll seek this out again specifically, but I wouldn't turn it down if I was offered a pint.

3.9/5  rDev -2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. The Milk Stout pours an dark black color. It produces a thin brown head and the head retention is below average. Lacing is very good. The aroma of dark roasted malt and sweet chocolate. The taste of the milk stout was dominated by chocolate milk and sweet roasted malt. The ale is of medium body and it has a creamy finish. Overall , its good. Its the only Milk Stout that I have so that makes it the best I have had. Kudo's to Left Hand brewing for going outside the box!

l

3.55/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Definitely a drinkable sweet stout. I bought this as part of a mix and match six pack, and decided to brew something similar myself, but have ended up adding coffee to mine.

A - Pours thick with a frothy tan head. Not quite black. Left some nice lacing down the side of the glass.

S - The roastiness is right up front, with chocolate and sweetness in the background.

T - Again, the roasted barley and a bit of chocolate are up front, backed up by the residual sweetness from the lactose. This is not a strong stout, but is there. A bit of bitterness in the finish that compliments the sweetness.

M - Thick and frothy, taste and feel improves as it warms a bit.

O - This could be a great intro stout for those that aren't into the darker beers. It inspired me to brew a milk stout myself, so it must have been good!

4.03/5  rDev +1.3%

A - Pours a dark black color with a big finger of frothy tan head. The retention on the head is excellent and as it fades down it leaves behind some nice lacing.

S - Aroma is a mix of some roasted caramel malts and some milk sweetness. There is a touch of chocolate also mixed in the background.

T - Starts off with roasted sweet caramel flavor and some milk sweetness. Little bit of milk chocolate in the background. Through the middle, some deeper roasted flavors and even a touch of hops. The finish is a mix of roasted flavors and a touch of milk sweetness that lingers nicely.

M - Medium bodied with moderate-light carbonation. A bit creamy but still very smooth. The finish is a bit dry which is nice.

D - Very drinkable. The flavor is really nicely balanced and smooth. Could have used a touch more flavor, but it is far from empty and the flavors are quite nice.

3.65/5  rDev -8.3%

On tap at a beer event at Archers Tavern, served in a Left Hand Milk Stout pint glass that you get to keep.

A Dark thick with a good sized tan head.

S: Milk chocolatey aroma - not overpowering but noticeable.

T: Slightly sweet with lots of chocolate flavors. Not picking up any roasted malts and/or coffee. Mild hops noticable in the finish.

M: Creamy, milky mouthfeel reminds me if chocolate milk. Not real heavy or thick.

D: Easy to drink, lite bodied makes this one you can drink a few of. Paired well with my smoky BBQ ribs

4.22/5  rDev +6%

A really good stout this is. I had it on-tap in Chicago, as well as from a bottle later, but I will review the on-tap.

A - black, almost dark brown color, with a tan head. Head disappeared quickly...I would have liked this to stick around a bit longer.

S - smelled of coffee and chocolate, but overpoweringly so, as in some chocolate stouts.

T - Not as much taste as I would have hoped, and a slight bitter aftertaste. The aftertaste doesn't destroy the beer in my opinion, but I could do with a more subtle bitter finish

M - Creamy and smooth, but not as much as I would have hoped

O - Overall a good beer, I'd try again and again, but again not my favorite stout.

3.73/5  rDev -6.3%

Pours a not-too-thick black liquid with a coarse, light tan head that quickly dissipates. The nose offers a whiff of the usual suspects: cocoa and coffee. I don't detect much nuttiness. Also, and perhaps I'm mistaken here, I think I actually smell milk!

The beer is rich and malty up front. It has a somewhat creamy mouth feel (though not as creamy as some), which sadly is not maintained across the palate. The finish is like cola, which is disappointing. For this style, I prefer a finish more like a liqueur.

All in all, not a bad milk stout. It is tasty and easy to drink. I do like milk stout and, sadly, I have trouble finding good examples of it. It seems that beer drinkers who really like stout tend to reach for the heavy, more complex imperial variety over this rather unappreciated style. I guess this one will have to do until I can find something better. Poor me.

3.53/5  rDev -11.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Samuel Adams Boston Lager glass.

Appearance: Pours a deep black color. Has a thin, frothy, tan head that dissipates quickly and leaves some spotty lacing.

Smell: Smells strongly of roasted malts, dark chocolate, and sweet milk.

Taste: Starts moderately bitter but without any noticeable hops notes. Finishes sweet with significant roasted and chocolate malt characteristics. The sweetness definitely tempers the roasty and hoppy bitternesses.

Mouthfeel: Not as much body as I was expecting and a little flat tasting but still nothing too bad.

Overall: A fairly decent milk stout. Nothing memorable but definitely solid.

3.1/5  rDev -22.1%

Deep brown with thin tan head and poor retention. Milk chocolate lager aroma. Milk chocolate taste and a very light bitterness. Fairly creamy mouthfeel but also a bit thin.

Very drinkable and sweet/milky beer with no big surprises, just malty milk which is fine at first but becomes a chore gulping down the last couple swallows.

3.3/5  rDev -17.1%

A: Pours deep brown, almost black. A small head with minimal lacing.

S: Lightly roasted coffee and hints of chocolate

T: Much blander than I expected. Roasted coffee and toasted malts. Sweeter notes are far and few between. Finish is dry and even sour at times.

M: Medium bodied and lightly carbonated. Wished it was creamier and a tad thicker.

O: I wasn't super impressed with this one. Not terrible, but I've had better milk stouts. Could've been the bottle, so I won't write it off just yet.

Left Hand Milk Stout from Left Hand Brewing Company