Left Hand Milk Stout - Left Hand Brewing Company

Left Hand Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-20-2002

ROASTED MALT AND COFFEE FLAVORS BUILD THE FOUNDATION OF THIS CREAMY SWEET STOUT.

Milk sugar in your stout is like cream in your coffee. Dark and delicious, America’s great milk stout will change your perception about what a stout can be. “Preconceived notions are the blinders on the road to enlightenment.” Udderly delightful.

Collection: Perennial
Style: Sweet Stout
Color: Black, 47 SRM
Body: full
ABV: 6%
IBU's: 25
PLATO: 15.5°
PKG: 6-Pack, Keg
Malt: Pale 2-row, Crystal, Munich, Roasted Barley, Flaked Oats, Flaked Barley and Chocolate
Hops: Magnum and US Goldings
Other: Lactose
Reviews: 1,662 | Hads: 6,331
4.75/5  rDev +21.2%

Creamy mouth feel from the nitrogen, Tasting notes include milk chocolate, black coffee, brown sugar and toffee. This is a top notch milk stout that the nitro makes even better. (179 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -13.3%

This will be my first review, "bear with me" I very much enjoyed the smell of this stout, it smell of a milky creamy sensation. The feel of the beer overall was creamy and delightful but the taste was a let down compared to the smell. Yet I'd enjoy this beer again but it's not going to be a favorite of mine. (311 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

Good Stout. Nice black color, decent head. The creaminess is awesome. The aroma at first was amazing and the taste was also great, although not up to par with what I expected after the smell. Overall, a creamy enjoyable stout with just the right amount of alcohol and a touch of bitterness to round it all off..... (314 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Wow!

A - Poured very dark black had a thin tan head looked like soda foam. Great lacing rings left around glass.

S - Very sweet and honestly like milk chocolate.

T - Taste is great. Chocolate with vanilla undertones. Starts off creamy/milky and finishes a bit dry with a vanilla/caramel taste. So good.

M - Creamy, smooth, slightly below average carbonation. Extremely drinkable. Will definitely buy again (410 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into a stout glass.

Pours nice and black, with little head that dissipates quickly.

Smells like sweet cream. Hint of coffee/toffee.

Tastes great. Creamy texture with a good amount of sweetness, but not overpowering. Subtle vanilla taste at first that is more noticeable on the finish. Slight coffee taste. I detect some slight spices, but don't know where that could be coming from.

Overall a very good beer. Bought a six pack of this and I'm looking forward to seeing how this tastes in a few months. (525 characters)

4.81/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is currently my favorite brew. It is a very smooth stout that sits well on your tongue. As you let it percolate on your tongue, the flavor becomes rich and still the taste is smooth. I like this beer any time of year. I also like this a bit more than the Left Hand Brewing's regular milk stout, although that too is very tasty.

Smoother than the Guiness or other stouts, I am sure you will enjoy this beer. Drink it slow to enjoy the flavor. It does not hit you over the head. Subtle and complex. (503 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -0.5%

Wanted to try a milk stout and this is one of the highest rated for the style.

A - Nice dark black color typical of a stout. Poured like syrup. Nitro induced super fine off-white head that seemed to hold true and trail lacing down the entire glass.

S - Tons of chocolate, roasted, malty, and caramel smells. The nitro can seemed to really accentuate the rich tones.

T - A sweet brew that is like a standard stout except with a creamy sweet flavor that is different. Similar to a typical Guinness Export stout but with a sweeter edge.
There is a roasted flavor that comes second and is pretty good. Some light bitterness from the roasted malt but no discernible hops. A good desert beer if that is all you are going to have.

M - Mostly thick mouth-feel with a sticky nature to it. Definitely on the sweeter side and I couldn't drink more than one or two . Moderate "nitration" that makes it silky and smooth.

Overall, a good beer if you want a sweet cocoa inspired beer that is a little more balanced than a Young's chocolate stout. This is a quintessential milk stout with the sweetness and mouth-feel but is very velvety. It's not my favorite beer but I know that there would be a time and a place to have this again. Try a six pack in the winter and you won't be disappointed.

Glass- Shaker Pint (1,308 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a near black with a thin brown head that never quite vanishes, and leaves some sticky lace down the glass. Smells like chocolate, vanilla, little dark fruit and coffee. Taste is mostly bittersweet chocolate and dark malts. Nice clean crisp finish tho. Not overly sweet. Mouthfeel is outstanding. Smooth, medium to full body. Coats the mouth and leaves a nice bite on the back end. Overall, this is good stuff. I've had it on tap, and its just as good out of the bottle. (476 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

As instructed by the bottle label I poured this into a pint glass very quickly and let the nitro do what it was designed to do. A thick micro-foam head formed on top of a brown/near-black body. The nose is all dry stout and oats. The mouthfeel is smooth and surprisingly light. Lush caramel and oats finishing with a crisp dry stout cleanness. Just lovely. (357 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured on tap, the color was very dark, almost black with a coffee head that settled and left trails down the glass. The smell was nice, with hints of coffee, a bit of chocolate, and a lot of malt. The taste had a lot more chocolate than the nose implied and I thought it was delicious. The mouthfeel was my favorite part. Not overly thick, but still coated the mouth and throat very well. I really liked this one and thought it would be great in the fall, but even in the summer it was a nice treat. (500 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4

Recently had this on tap on a trip to Colorado, It was phenomenal.The pour was awesome with a rich brown head and great lacing all the way through. Look was dark as night, the smell was chocolate and coffee. The taste was chocolatey but real subtle with hints of vanilla, caramel and cream. The mouth feel was smooth as silk. I would definitely drink this anytime. (364 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

poured from 12oz bottle into standard pint glass.

Poured agressively, this pint looks just fantastic. Jet black with a slowly forming off white head. The head dissipates somewhat during the drink, but still leaves nice lacing.

Smell isn't particularly strong, some malt and a sweetness

This really goes down well, very smooth, sweet from the lactose, only a faint hint of roasted malts

Mouth is pretty thin for a stout, even a milk stout.

Overall, a very good stout. I find I chug this one down faster than most beers. I do go back and forth a bit about this one, sometimes it just seems a bit plain, othertimes It's the best thing since sliced bread. Never pass one up though. (682 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I'm in Colorado on vacation. My family and I were stuck in a Walmart bathroom for 45 minutes waitng out two tornadoes. We survived Mother Nature's wrath and I felt I needed to celebrate so I picked up a 6 pk of Left Hand Brewing Co Nitro Milk Stout. This was my first milk stout, so I wasn't sure what to expect. With a ABV of 6% I didn't think I'd be KO'd after one glass.

The appearance was a rich, dark body with a full, tan head. The bottle says to "pour hard", which I did. The head is thick and creamy, like a dessert drink for adults. The smell is a rich, burnt aroma like dark chocolate and toasted oats. Pleasing to the nostrils. The taste is heavy and rich. Mocha and coffee overtones. There is certainly a milky-ness to the feel, and little to no carbonation which gives this stout an even more indulgent flavor. Nitro goes down the gullet smoothly and makes you want the next sip to be a little bigger.

Maybe it's the fact we pulled through this tornado touchdown and I'm happy to be breathing and indulging, but I felt that not only was this an amazing stout, it was an amazing drinking experience overall. I will be revisiting Nitro again...if I can find it in Indiana. (1,186 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

My favorite beer out there right now. This stout sets the standard for all other stouts. A fine dark color and aroma of coffee and chocolate milk sets up a smooth and think taste that we all expect from our stouts. The chocolate flavors leave a pleasant aftertaste that keeps you coming back. (292 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Coca cola coloured, topped with a lightweight cap of mocha foam.

S - Smoke and coffee hit me first off. Roasted malts play a supporting role. The aroma is nice but not outstanding.

T - Mild yet a little underwhelming. All the classic stout flavours are there, but they're muted.

M - It's definitely super smooth, so credit to Left Hand for figuring out how to put nitro beer in a bottle. Be that as it may, it feels smooth in part due to feeling undercarbonated. Milky yet too thin to be called creamy.

O - I'd try this again on tap, but this beer reiterates to me that it's hard to go back once you've gone Imperial. This might be a nice step on the ladder if you seek to climb upwards from Guinness. (709 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pitch black. quick light head, faint lacing on the glass.

S - Sweet roasted malts, chocolate, no hops. Very Stout like

T - Sweet smooth mocha and chocolate. No bitterness and a touch of lactose sweetness all the way through.

M - CREAMY and smooth, very light carbonation.

O - Nice on the palate. Not overly sweet but not more than 2 for me. Nice sweet stout, no discernible alcohol in the taste or aftertaste. Slight similarity but a bit sweeter than a Guinness with no head. Stated Nitro on the bottle but no nitro cartridge.

Serving type: nitro-bottle (566 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Agree with the guy below saying it's a good crowd option and sessionable. Had hoped for more from the nitro fill. Pours black no head. Smells nice sweet lactose, coffee beans and semi sweet chocolate. Taste is sweet coffee, tiny bit of cocoa. Feel isn't anything special which was a disappointment almost tastes a bit flat (322 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +14%

I was very impressed with this beer. I'm not a beer connoisseur. I love dark beers like Guinness. Before trying Guinness in college I never liked beer. Still trying to broaden my horizons. I selected this beer after reading the reviews on this site and I was quite impressed. Dark, chocolate, rich in flavor, delicious. I have added this to my favorites list to buy again. (374 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +0.5%

Looks exactly as you expect a milk stout to. Nice dense head that sticks around for most of the drink; and good, creamy lacing.

Smells of roasted barley and cream, with a touch of caramel sweetness. There's also a slightly sour note.

First taste is rich and roasty with sweet cream on the finish. Just a nice little touch of that lactose tang -- not too much like I've observed in other milk stouts. I really appreciate the roasty bitterness that helps balance the sweetness and provides lasting depth of flavor.

Mouthfeel is phenomenal. Easy drinking, yet luxuriously creamy.

I've had the nitro version of this beer, which I thought was unbeatable, but there's still something deeply satisfying about this original version. Great flavor profile and mouthfeel. (765 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a sample-glass. Pour was high and vigorous, got a big head which was a great caramel-coffee color.

Jet black in color.

Taste is of roasted toasted malt. Not as sweet as I expected, I do not drink much dry stout so compared to the imperials and american stouts I normally drink this is dry and well balanced, no alcohol.

Very session-able, I could down a six-pack of these no prob, would enjoy doing it.

Would get this beer again, would consider it for a barbecue option. (489 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +2.6%

Re-review, because nitro-bottle. 12 oz's poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a very dark brown color. The head is beautiful - mocha colored and a finger high, with a stunningly soft texture. Its retention is excellent, and the lacing left behind is plentiful. Nitro'd stouts always look fantastic, this being no exception.

S: Not as bland as I feared it would be. The primary notes are espresso coffee, roasted malts, lactose, and chocolate. The nitro really didn't kill the aroma much, and thank cripes for that.

T: A strong surge of coffee beans, cream, and chocolate opens the palate - fuck, this drinks just like coffee. Dark chocolate lingers right into the finish and onto the aftertaste. Not much complexity, then again this only needs great chocolate, coffee, and lactose notes to succeed. Which it pulls off admirably.

M: This is practically the perfect stout feel: rich enough (and just enough, I might add), yet very dry on the back end. Refreshing, too! An espresso flavor keeps the finish nice and long. Carbonation isn't needed that much due to how dry it is.

O: Here it is. Now that Left Hand comes to MD, I think I've found the perfect Guinness substitute for St. Patrick's Day, and not a moment too soon. Make that the perfect Guinness substitute 365 days a year - this is delicious. (1,305 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Good beer. Imagine Guinness or Murphy's with a little sugar added and you have this beer. Personally I'm not a fan sweets. This beer's sweetness is mild but it is too sweet for my liking. If Guinness is black coffee, this is a latte. Great for those who like the texture of nitro beers without the roasted flavor. (313 characters)

3.81/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.75

A-The pours was definitely fun. Just throwing it out of the glass. It cascades and everything. Nice creamy, nitrogen infused head. Dark body, not much light penetration.

S-Aroma is roasty first and foremost. Milk chocolate. Coffee with cream. A pleasant, textbook stout aroma.

T-The flavor is roasty again but I also get a somewhat noticeable grassy hoppiness in the back end. In between is coffee and milk chocolate or even mocha. A little chalky. Light, dark fruitiness.

M-The body is creamy but the carbonation isn't up to par. It's nearly flat and it really doesn't retain it's carbonation well.

O/D-Bought a single. Glad I didn't go for a full sixer. It was a cool beer to pour, and the flavors were pretty on point however, the carbonation was very flat. Still happy I tried this. (790 characters)

From a 12 oz bottle to a pint glass.

A: deep dark and black in color, when poured aggressively you get a lovely 2 finger root beer colored head that is extremely dense and thick. The head lasts for a long time and leaves good lacing as you drink.

S: coffee, chocolate, malts and an overall sweet aroma.

T: roasted malts, sweet mocha, chocolate and lactose sweetness as well.

M: creamy and smooth with minimal carbonation.

O: creamy and enjoyable this milk stout is my first beer from Left Hand. The Nitro-bottle is something new to me, so I found that interesting. I will look for more from Left Hand in the future. (625 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle poured into a tulip glass Bottle says best by 5/16

A: Alright appearance black body with a one finger mocha head that went away quickly, leaving small amounts of lacing.

S: Chocolate and sweetness.

T: follows the nose

M: Body is alright, alcohol is hidden well.

O: Its an ok stout, I'm really not that impressed with it. (341 characters)

Left Hand Milk Stout from Left Hand Brewing Company