1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Left Hand Rye Bock Lager - Left Hand Brewing Company

Left Hand Rye Bock LagerLeft Hand Rye Bock Lager

Left Hand Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Doppelbock |  7.60% ABV

(Beer added by: TexIndy on 03-05-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 62 | Reviews: 54 | Show All Ratings:
hawksfan82

Kansas

4.03/5  rDev +1.8%

750ml corked and caged bottle poured into a simple pint glass.

Pours like a dopplebock, but a little lighter color, although a little more "meat" to it. Good healthy 2-3 finger head, and about halfway through the glass is still floating with about a 1/2 finger left.

Smell is like a malty dopplebock, nothing really sticks out.

Great great taste. All dopplebock up front, nice and malty, then when you're looking for the warming alcohol finish you get a little spicy bite of rye. The alcohol is evident at the end, but not that warm syrupy feeling you get with the big german-style bocks. Balanced very very well.

Mouthfeel is good. Heavy and malty, and even with the spicy rye bite it's still very smooth.

Drinkability feels so far like what a normal dopplebock would be. Can definately have a few glasses of this to relax after a long day at work...or in my case, law school :).

08-24-2007 02:17:12 | More by hawksfan82
udubdawg

Kansas

3.38/5  rDev -14.6%

750 ml corked and caged bottle

I could NOT get this cork out. My friend couldn't either. It wouldn't budge. I even use a corkscrew but amazingly it just tore through the cork when I pulled it out...so all I could do was use a knife and dice the thing to death, cringing as pieces of cork fell into my beer...

...thankfully the beer foamed a bit when the last cork came out, which floated the cork chunks to the top and I was able to remove them easily. Anyway, the beer poured a nice dark amber color, with a very large tan head that recedes slowly and leaves sticky lacing here and there.

My second glass was better than the first, but I'd still have to call the aroma light. Bready malt, a bit of brown sugar, and a vague spiciness I assume is the rye are pleasant, just a little lighter than preferred.

Pretty decent tasting, and I enjoyed the spicy rye finish in each sip. I enjoyed this better warm, and I mean really warm: I was uninspired and forgot about this beer for a while, only to find the aroma had opened up and the caramel sweetness and rye spice seemed fuller at room temperature when I came back to a room temperature beer. Not overly sweet (thankfully) and perhaps I'm being a touch too hard on this beer, but it WAS $12.99, and I do love bocks and rye, so you'll have to forgive me for the high expectations. Mouthfeel isn't bad, but could be a bit more full, and initial carbonation was too spritzy before settling down nicely. I'd have it again, especially if it was cheaper, but I doubt I'll plunk down that kind of cash very often for something that isn't special. Still, I'm glad I tried it, and there is a shortage of both decent bocks and rye beers, so this is appreciated.

08-18-2007 21:33:33 | More by udubdawg
BeerSox

3.9/5  rDev -1.5%

On-tap into goblet.

Ruby red w/ a touch of brown. A one finger head starts off then settles to a thin cap. Sticky lacing.

The aroma is a light dark candy smell, along the lines of brown sugar. Hops are limited, and the grain aroma is light.

Light flavor w/ a bit of brown sugar and caramel. Mostly smooth malt with a bit of hops in the very end. Medium bodied with good carbonation. The alcohol can be tasted in the end, especially as it gets a little warmer.

08-07-2007 22:53:12 | More by BeerSox
rajendra82

Georgia

3.9/5  rDev -1.5%

This beer arrived in in a corked and caged 750 ml. brown bomber that sported red and white painted on labeling similar to other Left Hand big beers. The glass ware chosen was a Paulaner flute. The beer looked amber to brown in color, which was pretty typical for a bock, but the large head towering above the rim of the glass was definitely not. The aroma was restrained and malty with a spicy rye edge. Hops were clearly German or influenced by them, as they were earthy and spicy with none of the citric flourishes typical to other Left Hand products. The taste was sweet and rich, to which the hops added a bitter edge. The rye added a spicy character, while the carbonation was quite prickly on the tongue. Mouthfeel was creamy and soft, and the alcohol was soothingly warm. This one did a lot of things right, and made this a memorable night of imbibing.

07-29-2007 03:27:02 | More by rajendra82