400 Pound Monkey - Left Hand Brewing Company

Beer added by: garcia2a on 09-03-2008

to view more.
Ratings: 1,999 | Reviews: 547
4.32/5  rDev +21%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Grain and citrus on the nose. Balanced flavor with pepper and citrus notes. Nice peppery mouthfeel.

4.39/5  rDev +23%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer was very good. I can't understand the huge disparity in the ratings. Great flavor. Well balanced. Overall great beer.

2.06/5  rDev -42.3%

12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip.

Appearance was great--copper with great clarity. It had a beautiful white fluffy head (about 1-1.5 fingers) and good lacing.

Smell was middle-of-the-road. Bread and fruit with a hint of metal.

Taste is where this beer failed for me. The front was malty with a touch of fruit and pine. This was quickly overwhelmed with metal and meatiness (?). It's just weird, plain and simple. I've had grassy, vegetal IPAs that were still good beers, but this one pushed the envelope into overly-savory and soupy.

Overall, I wasn't a fan. I'd give this beer one more shot, but not happily.

3.61/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Undated bottle at 45 degrees into shaker
Aroma of flowers
Head small (2 cm, aggressive pour), white, frothy, diminishing to 4 mm broken frothy layer
Lacing good – complete rings of mostly tiny to few medium bubbles
Body light yellow, hazy
Flavor slightly bitter, reduced hop flavor typical of English IPAs, somewhat earthy; no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate light, watery, lively carbonation

Appearance 4, Aroma 3.5, Flavor 3.5, Palate 3.75, Overall 3.75

4.56/5  rDev +27.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I've been coming to this site for years. This is the first review I've posted though.

I felt obligated to say something after seeing some of those horrible reviews below.

This is an excellent IPA. This is my 2nd favorite after the Smuttynose IPA.

It's nice & crisp. Too many IPAs just taste like grapefruit & pine nuts. This is very nicely balanced. It goes down very smooth. I don't feel the 6.8 ABV at all. I would seek this out again.

nice bready and malty notes with a perfect bitterness to balance. really hit the benchmark for an english IPA. a style that many brewers seem to pass on, left hand really proved themselves with this one

4.77/5  rDev +33.6%

One two three four five

4.55/5  rDev +27.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

English pub feel in my living room

Another solid offering from Left Hand, who is quickly moving up the ladder for me. This is an IPA, but it's a bit maltier and less bitter than traditional ones, so that's why I liked it more than anticipated. I'm not sure if others may have gotten a bad batch, because I really didn't get the sour or bitter taste or the foul aroma that some reviews have described. I've never had this issue with Left Hand, so I'm definitely surprised that some have reviewed this beer so harshly.

1.09/5  rDev -69.5%

Terrible smelled like wet towels and my glasses are clean so I don't want to hear that shit

4.14/5  rDev +16%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

If you don't like this beer, then you don't know good English beer. Its funky, but that's the point. Really smooth and dry, love it.

2.3/5  rDev -35.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Looks good, smells good, tastes horrible. So sour and bitter.

3.79/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: crystal clear; light copper colored; 2 finger ivory head that receded to a wispy cap; very nice lacing;

S: a nice combination of hop aromas - citrus, earthy, and pine - with malt barely detectable in the background;

T: herbal hop influences are predominant throughout; bready malt in the background at mid-palate; light to moderate bitterness at the end;

M: medium bodied; moderate carbonation; lightly dry finish;

O: I would have like more complexity in the flavor;

4.58/5  rDev +28.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I really liked it, yes indeed

How could this swill gain rating of BA of 81 and Bro of 90???? This has the earmarks of the emperor's new clothes and is the worst beer that my palate ever had to endure

Look: someone pee in the bottle including floatees
Smell: aroma was from a gym where jock straps were allowed to marinate for a month
Taste: Brewed with the aforementioned jock Straps
Feel: absolutely no redeeming qualities.
Overall: horrible. This reminded me of the time where we reconstituting the fruits packets from 100s of MREs and making wine from that concoction while I was serving in the Middle East. At least the wine had much better flavor

My back ground was shape by serving 20 years in the US Air Force. This allowed me to travel to many parts of the US and overseas to sample many types of libations and to develop a discerning palate

3.6/5  rDev +0.8%

It's a really really good IPA. It's just not my type of beer :-//

4.5/5  rDev +26.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Excellent. The mouthfeel and nose makes for an awesome twist on a classic beer.

3.36/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

This one's a little different. Has a caramel flavor with a smidge of toffee flavor, which I'm not a fan of. It has a little piney aftertaste that lingers longer than I'd like. It's not bad but I probably won't rush out for more.

3.29/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Bitter with a funky bread taste

3.69/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Brilliant golden in color topped with a fluffy off-white head.
Good lacing.

Nose exhibits some pretty assertive hop character, with notes of pine and citrus. There's also a sweet, rich malt character, and a touch of yeast, but the hop profile straightaway seems closer to a by-now familiar American I.P.A.

Sweet, lightly-tangy and aromatic on the first sip, in the best possible way. Yeast character is a little bit more pronounced in this by comparison to an American I.P.A., and the malt is also a bit more pumped-up and juicy. There's a sweetness that isn't cloying, but more in line with a natural fruit juice (think: pineapple), and indeed notes of ripe pear, golden apple, and pineapple are good points of reference.

While there's a nice malt character and component sweetness, there's that assertive hop profile keeping everything in a good sense of balance. Lingering bitterness is worth noting, here, just as the initial burst of hop aroma set this beer off on a good start, so does that bitterness keep the sweetness in check.

Malt profile is pretty sturdy, so this one has a good, solid feel to it which is appropriate for the style. It's a bit bigger, too, so to my mind an excellent sipper.

A very good beer overall, and it much better than I had expected it to be.

4.4/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pretty bitter, but an overall great beer. An acquired taste, tho.

4.58/5  rDev +28.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I really enjoyed this beer.

3.31/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Corey ok, but not as good as some

4.1/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Amber color with thin lingering surface bubbles. Sweet malt folowed by moderate fresh hops bitterness. Medium thick body, fairly smooth. A solid english style IPA.

4.6/5  rDev +28.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

First time drinking an English style IPA so not sure how it compares but I really like this beer!

to view more.