400 Pound Monkey - Left Hand Brewing Company

Ratings: 1,981 | Reviews: 541
4.77/5  rDev +33.6%

One two three four five

4.55/5  rDev +27.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

English pub feel in my living room

Another solid offering from Left Hand, who is quickly moving up the ladder for me. This is an IPA, but it's a bit maltier and less bitter than traditional ones, so that's why I liked it more than anticipated. I'm not sure if others may have gotten a bad batch, because I really didn't get the sour or bitter taste or the foul aroma that some reviews have described. I've never had this issue with Left Hand, so I'm definitely surprised that some have reviewed this beer so harshly.

1.09/5  rDev -69.5%

Terrible smelled like wet towels and my glasses are clean so I don't want to hear that shit

4.14/5  rDev +16%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

If you don't like this beer, then you don't know good English beer. Its funky, but that's the point. Really smooth and dry, love it.

2.3/5  rDev -35.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Looks good, smells good, tastes horrible. So sour and bitter.

3.79/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: crystal clear; light copper colored; 2 finger ivory head that receded to a wispy cap; very nice lacing;

S: a nice combination of hop aromas - citrus, earthy, and pine - with malt barely detectable in the background;

T: herbal hop influences are predominant throughout; bready malt in the background at mid-palate; light to moderate bitterness at the end;

M: medium bodied; moderate carbonation; lightly dry finish;

O: I would have like more complexity in the flavor;

4.58/5  rDev +28.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I really liked it, yes indeed

How could this swill gain rating of BA of 81 and Bro of 90???? This has the earmarks of the emperor's new clothes and is the worst beer that my palate ever had to endure

Look: someone pee in the bottle including floatees
Smell: aroma was from a gym where jock straps were allowed to marinate for a month
Taste: Brewed with the aforementioned jock Straps
Feel: absolutely no redeeming qualities.
Overall: horrible. This reminded me of the time where we reconstituting the fruits packets from 100s of MREs and making wine from that concoction while I was serving in the Middle East. At least the wine had much better flavor

My back ground was shape by serving 20 years in the US Air Force. This allowed me to travel to many parts of the US and overseas to sample many types of libations and to develop a discerning palate

3.6/5  rDev +0.8%

It's a really really good IPA. It's just not my type of beer :-//

4.5/5  rDev +26.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Excellent. The mouthfeel and nose makes for an awesome twist on a classic beer.

3.36/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

This one's a little different. Has a caramel flavor with a smidge of toffee flavor, which I'm not a fan of. It has a little piney aftertaste that lingers longer than I'd like. It's not bad but I probably won't rush out for more.

3.29/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Bitter with a funky bread taste

3.69/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Brilliant golden in color topped with a fluffy off-white head.
Good lacing.

Nose exhibits some pretty assertive hop character, with notes of pine and citrus. There's also a sweet, rich malt character, and a touch of yeast, but the hop profile straightaway seems closer to a by-now familiar American I.P.A.

Sweet, lightly-tangy and aromatic on the first sip, in the best possible way. Yeast character is a little bit more pronounced in this by comparison to an American I.P.A., and the malt is also a bit more pumped-up and juicy. There's a sweetness that isn't cloying, but more in line with a natural fruit juice (think: pineapple), and indeed notes of ripe pear, golden apple, and pineapple are good points of reference.

While there's a nice malt character and component sweetness, there's that assertive hop profile keeping everything in a good sense of balance. Lingering bitterness is worth noting, here, just as the initial burst of hop aroma set this beer off on a good start, so does that bitterness keep the sweetness in check.

Malt profile is pretty sturdy, so this one has a good, solid feel to it which is appropriate for the style. It's a bit bigger, too, so to my mind an excellent sipper.

A very good beer overall, and it much better than I had expected it to be.

4.4/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pretty bitter, but an overall great beer. An acquired taste, tho.

4.58/5  rDev +28.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I really enjoyed this beer.

3.31/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Corey ok, but not as good as some

4.1/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Amber color with thin lingering surface bubbles. Sweet malt folowed by moderate fresh hops bitterness. Medium thick body, fairly smooth. A solid english style IPA.

4.6/5  rDev +28.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

First time drinking an English style IPA so not sure how it compares but I really like this beer!

4.48/5  rDev +25.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I do not usually like IPA's that much. They are way too over-hopsy for my taste. However, now this one - for the APA-lover that I am - is the perfect IPA. Another fantastic beer from an outstanding brewery.

2.5/5  rDev -30%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This is an average beer

3.89/5  rDev +9%

A good ipa, nice bitter taste, nice feel

3.61/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Haven't been drink or rating (full rating) as much as usually so I figured I should start back up again.

Bought on sale at Morgans Liquor in Denver, poured into an imperial pint glass.

A&S: Fizzy white colored head with large bubbles incorporated into a general foam. Pours about a finger and above average lacing upon first sip. Head dies very quickly, but retains at a thin layer. Transparent and lively light orange colored beer. The aroma is more citrus than the taste would make it seem like it would be, but definably contains a good amount of maltiness.

T&M: More malty than your run of the mill IPA on the market. Other tones include caramel and slight citrus and piney elements. Almost has a rye like bitterness to it. This beer seems more like a hoppy amber, but I suppose that is part of the English IPA style. Pretty bitter in the finish. Carbonation is on the high side of medium and body is medium.

Overall: I've had this beer before, but I guess I never rated it. Not a bad beer, I think part of the reason for the lower BA score is due to palate being use to American style IPAs, at least I found myself thrown off at first.

3.5/5  rDev -2%

Appearance: Little head or froth covers a golden liquid. Somewhat like pouring an Old Speckled Hen or other typical English ale.
Smell: Indistinguishable yet floral and buttery.
Mouthfeel: Not overcarbonated, about as dry as the aforementioned English beers would be.
Taste: Immediate hit of hops, dried fruit, vanilla. Further tasting reveals a more bitter and sweet note that lingers. Dare I say, caramel.
Overall: Extremely enjoyable. Not too heavy that the more elegant qualities of its taste are overwhelmed. For a Twisted Thistle fan, this hit the spot.

3.81/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A solid, but not extraordinary beer from Left Hand. One of my favorite breweries, but this beer is not their best.

to view more.