400 Pound Monkey - Left Hand Brewing Company

Left Hand Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  6.80% ABV

Beer added by: garcia2a on 09-03-2008

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 400 Pound Monkey Alström Bros
Reviews: 546 | Hads: 2,100

In my hand now on a warm evening on the patio at The Old Monk in east Dallas. Sun is setting and beating on my back. This one happens to be offered up as a cask conditioned special on the menu. I love Left Hand, so I couldn't pass this up. Definitely love to see something possibly different than your one in a million IPA in that this is strictly an English style IPA. Served in DFH tulip glass.

A - Hazy, sunset bronze. Translucent when help up to the setting sun. One large finger of dense vanilla milk shake looking head that may be disappearing at a turtle's pace.

S - Like I stuck my head in a fresh bag of the freshest semi-wet herbal hops and sweet yellow cake batter... in that order. LUSH! Anyone who's ever held fresh, whole cone hops to their face would appreciate this one.

T - Like no other IPA. It separates itself from the ubiquitous bunch. It's as though they carefully thought out and crafted every single IBU as though it were a brush stroke creating an artistic masterpiece in my mouth. The many colors of hop and malt brush strokes are thrilling! Even better as it warms closer to 50-55F. The 6.7% ABV is only noticed upon exhaling through the nostrils in a way that is subtle, exciting and whimsical. One the malt side of things, the Munich make their presence known and loved. Each malt can be detected in this one, which is not all that easy to do when crafting an IPA when the hops traditionally dominate. Base level sweetness is there from the Crystal and 2-row. The body is brought on by the wheat malt. Perfect malt profile.

M - LUSH! Slightly snappy dry at the finish, however.

Overall - You had better go to your local craft beer store or pub and snag this up before I do. If they don't have it, perform unmentionable favors for your local beer store guy in order to get some. Not sure what's so particularly English about this one other than the use of the Boadicea Hops which are relatively unknown other than they are named for a Celtic/England warrior queen. Similar to Czech Saaz in profile from what I can discern. Anywho, rockin' brew, y'all!

4.71/5  rDev +31.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance - Golden with a slight brown

Smell- Malty with a slight hop note

Taste- Strong malt at first giving way to hops. Very good example of an english IPA

Mouthfeel- Could be a bit smoother slight bite and a little thick

Overall- I love this IPA! Drank it out of a bottle for years but on tap is the way to go.

4.7/5  rDev +31.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Great topaz body and white lacing head
Great fruity hop scent with some earth tones. Taste is quite hoppy with some marmalade flavors. Well carbonated .

I don't know why this is so low rated by tasters. I have to agree with the brothers on this one. It is an English ipa. There is some simplicity to be expected. I wish I could try this cask conditioned.

4.6/5  rDev +28.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 ounce bottle served in a pint glass.

Pours a clear, lighter-to-medium golden color with a 1 finger, semi-frothy head with nice lacing.

Smells of medium roasted malts, and a bit of hops.

Taste the same with a slight bit of a bite from the hops. You don't get the big hop flavor as with the American IPAs but it is there. You can taste the malts of this IPA more so than with the AIPAs it seems.

First time drinking an English style IPA so not sure how it compares but I really like this beer!

4.57/5  rDev +27.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

bought this off-the cuff at tom thumb:

poured from the 12 oz bottle into my goblet:

A BLonde is what comes to mind, a nice yellowish IPA
a FULL TWO fingers of head, settles to a nice sticky lacing
a bit more clarity than I'd expect from a IPA

S - a bit understated on the hopiness - but nice nonetheless

T - just a bit watery but a nice IPA (been a while since I've had beer at all and so I'm very happy to have this)

M - again just a BIT light when compared to the very best, but a nice contender

4.56/5  rDev +27.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I've been coming to this site for years. This is the first review I've posted though.

I felt obligated to say something after seeing some of those horrible reviews below.

This is an excellent IPA. This is my 2nd favorite after the Smuttynose IPA.

It's nice & crisp. Too many IPAs just taste like grapefruit & pine nuts. This is very nicely balanced. It goes down very smooth. I don't feel the 6.8 ABV at all. I would seek this out again.

4.53/5  rDev +26.5%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: I just don't think it gets better than this. Perfectly clear straw with a thick clean white head that lasts forever. Tons of lacing.

S: Pretty subtle, mainly bready English malt and floral hops.

T: Lots of bready malts up front (as promised), followed by some floral and piney hop flavors. The backend is where the bitterness really comes through, that nondescript English bitter flavor.

M: I let this sit out for a few hours before drinking, to warm up a bit as directed on the bottle. It was creamy smooth and the perfect carbonation for an English IPA. Incredibly sessionable.

O: One of my favorite IPAs for sure. So creamy smooth and malt forward, but enough bitterness and hops to keep it true to it's style. Just really excellent, I want this on cask now.

4.5/5  rDev +25.7%

A- Almost pale, golden color with great transparency and a sticky, foamy head that leaves impressive lacing

S- Light floral scents that lean toward the cooked veggie, woodsy spectrum of floral. I'm guessing Fuggles

T- Decent bitter pinch leads this beer into your mouth and is followed by almost nothing expect a biscuity malt flavor that I associate with Left Hand

M- Unique feeling created by an airy body and wispy carbonation. Somehow reminds me of a gust of wind across my tongue

D- I didn't see anything special about this after my first bottle, but as I pair it with my traditional fare (pizza and popcorn, etc.) I find it really does have a place in my drinking lineup as a competitor to New Belgium's Hoptober, which is only competition in the fall. Not really an English IPA IMO

4.48/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I do not usually like IPA's that much. They are way too over-hopsy for my taste. However, now this one - for the APA-lover that I am - is the perfect IPA. Another fantastic beer from an outstanding brewery.

4.47/5  rDev +24.9%

Poured a hazy amber with a small white head.

The smell was citrus hops, lemons, oranges and grapefruit with some sweet malts.

The taste was much like the smell citrus hops, bitter but with a fairly hefty malt back bone.

It was low to medium bodied, smooth with fairly low carbonation.

Overall an excellent beer definitely worth revisiting.

4.46/5  rDev +24.6%

This is a monkey that I don't mind having on my back at all! A nicely refreshing brew with a well rounded malt backbone an a subtle yet firm hops punch. Glad I was able to find this one and hope I'm able to get some more(bought the last two 6 packs!)
Looks very dingy but in a good way
Lots of stuff happening in the smell dept. lots of grains
taste is beautiful well balanced
Feel somewhat crisp on the tounge-Cool!
goes down super easy atruly nice beer!

4.45/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I ordered a sawtooth ale and the clueless waitress brought this out. I wasn't too disappointed since left hand brewery is one of my favorites.

very earthy and strong citrus flavor. powerful hop presence. bitter bready aftertaste. very bold mouthfeel. Top 3 personal IPA's.

ABV: 6.8% not 6.7%

another great beer from lefthand.

4.4/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a golden color with a full head. A head film remains on top long after pour. Some lacing.

S: Nice hoppy aroma with some sweetness - maybe caramel.

T: Bready, hoppy, bitter, malty. Nicely balanced and really good flavor.

M: Could have a couple - not too heavy.

O: Well done English IPA. Must try again.

4.35/5  rDev +21.5%

Bright golden color with a 1/2 inch white head that fell relatively quickly, but there was some nice rings of lacing left down the Sam Adams perfect pint. Herbal, grassy, and orange hop aromas jump out first, followed by a semi-sweet cracker, toasty bread maltiness. Nice balance in the nose, and if this is any indication of the taste, I'll be pleasantly surprised. Yep, great balance here. I'm really digging the lightly toasted cracker, biscuit-like maltiness of this brew which is in perfect harmony with the lightly bitter, herbal hops, that have just a touch of citrus on the back end, namely some orange marmalade-like juiciness. Drys out on the finish, with a decent, bitter aftertaste. Body is crisp with the perfect amount of carbonation. This is a tasty beer, and I really do love the balance. I really wish I could find an English bitter or mild pale with this kind of flavor on a regular basis. If this thing weighed in at 5% ABV or less, it would be one of the best session brews around. But I'm really digging it the way it is. Not sure why the scores are so low on this one. I think it's a very well-made English IPA, and a much needed break from the often over-the-top AIPAs.

4.35/5  rDev +21.5%

Pours a golden amber color, with a short-lived head that laces nicely. Carbonation continues some time after pour.
Smells nice and bitter, like it should. Not full of citrus aromas, but more malty smells as well as the hops.
Tastes really nice, a bit of that malty smell comes through in the taste, but the hops are front forward and the aftertaste is nice and refreshing.

I really enjoy this beer.

4.34/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz. bottle, dated 04/15/10, served into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass. Thanks for the extra, FernMaster.

Pours a, well, it is yellow. Around the color of a lighter maibock. The white head only gets to one finger at the most. Lacing is, thankfully, more then adequate.

Clean, floral hops flood the nose. A kiss of peach and an accent of lemongrass make for a more assertive nose than I would have figured from an English IPA. Cracker malt is substantial enough to provide a balanced foil to the hops.

The hops are less assertive on the palate than they were in the nose but that is OK - this is an English IPA after all. Grassy, floral, honeysuckle flavors emerge from these Kent Goldings. With warmth the hops take on more of a tea leaf taste. The malt flavors are creamy and bready. The finish is pleasantly bitter before fading to a lasting malt flavor.

This beer is perhaps not carbonated enough; it is a bit too slick for my tastes. The body itself is lightly creamy, which works with the malt flavors. As far as drinkability goes, this is an imminently drinkable session choice for a summer day spent outdoors.

I wasn't blown away by 400-Pound Monkey by any means, but I rate to style and I consider this one of the best English IPAs I've ever had. This is a wonderful choice for when you want the lightness and refreshment of a pilsner but would also prefer the malt flavors of an English ale.

4.33/5  rDev +20.9%

This beer pours a lovely pale orange color, perfectly clear with a good finger or two of head. Smell is not strong, but a pleasant mix of bready malt and citrusy hops. The citrus is more pronounced in the flavor, more lemon than grapefruit unlike some other IPAs. It's almost got a bit of twang to it in the finish. As it warms the bready malt flavor that I love in English ales comes through over the hops.

The balance seems perfect, and I could easily see this being a go-to beer for me if I didn't have to drive out of state to get it. Fortunately I have five bottles left.

4.33/5  rDev +20.9%

I need to start this with saying I've got a cold, so I bumped up the smell .5 to account for my lack of sense.

It was poured into a pint glass near a brightly lit background. The vibrant golden color is near perfect, but the over carbonation produced a little too much head, about 2 inches.

I wish I had a better sense of smell, I'm sure this IPA has a great hopped up aroma. I got a bit of that, but a metallic smell is what was most noticeable. After a few sips I'm starting to notice a bit of earthy hop aroma.

The taste is a bit mild, but it has a delicious big body taste without the mouthfeel and finishes with just a little hop bitterness creeping back up your tongue.

It has a light mouthfeel, and doesn't weigh down your stomach, so it's has high drinkability.

If I could change this beer, I'd make it bigger, but maybe it's just the day.

4.32/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a nonic - on the very end of what I consider acceptable freshness for an IPA like this (bottled late October).

Pours a very clear golden colour with a tiny head that leaves some decent lacing. The smell is primarily refreshing citrus (lemon/grapefruit) and some smooth hops and malts. The taste is very good! It first goes down fruity and hoppy, then a bit of the citrus character come in followed by smooth malts. There's some nice bitterness and complexity to this one here that makes sipping (glugging) it a pleasure.

It has a lighter body that leaves the mouth finely coated, and the drinkability is also very good. A nice brew from Left Hand, a unique IPA that's definitely sixer-worthy if you're looking for something different and drinkable.

4.3/5  rDev +20.1%

A modest 1/2 finger, off-white head after an aggressive pour, the light golden honey color is lighter than many IPAs I've seen lately. Yet I've been disapointed by many malty IPAs so this one may be on the right track.

Fruity, skunky, and a little musty. I read someone likened it to tangerines. I hate reading other people's reviews before I do mine for fear that I gt their idea stuck in my head, but damn if I don't get fresh, raw tangerine zest. Much more ineresting to me thanthe avrage English IPA.

Big, beefy hop flavor. A lot of raw, vegetal and grassy tones here so I assume loads of dry-hopping. Malt is light and a little sweet and really supports the earthy hops. I knew that you could load up an IPA with hops that weren't from the big 'C' family and this one proves it!

Carbonation bite with a slightly chwy texture Decently dextinous. Pretty cbonated for any English style ale.

I like this brew. Most of the English IPAs that I get(at least three from Arcadia) have been, to me, lacking in hop flavor. When I see IPA I don't think PALE. Are there any bright hops in this one r is it all noble or european subtle-like hops? American or imported. I like how this one is lighter in body and texture closer to the LAgunitas IPA. Low alcohol makes it a good sessioner. Very complex and refreshing.

4.3/5  rDev +20.1%

crystal clear beer with a nice copper color. nice head retention. low effervescence. fair lacing.

smells hoppy. citrus/grassy hops, and that about all.

initially sweet. nice round body, big hoppy flavor, nice hoppy bitterness. and the finish is all hop bitterness that lingers.

medium body, and the warmth of the alcohol can be felt.

this is a good ass ipa. i could not see myself ever getting bored with this one.

the website does not give the IBUs, i would put them somewhere in the mid 60s. the website also lists wheat on the grain bill. brilliant. Why didn't i think of that?

4.29/5  rDev +19.8%

Hazy yellow/orange in color, big fluffy two finger head. Looks a bit more like a hefeweizen.

The smell is slightly crisp, with a solid, up-front malty aroma, with hints of citrus. Since this is an EIPA, I would imagine this to be a tad more malty than a typical IPA. Still very good.

The taste was shocking, much different than the smell. It's sort of zesty, with a lot of citrus, and a slight hop bitterness that shows up in the end and lingers for a few seconds. Very impressed, it was delicious.

The feel is pleasant and crisp. Light to medium bodied.

Definitely a good drinker, but I probably couldn't session it very well. I'll be revisiting this one often.

4.28/5  rDev +19.6%

Poured into a pint glass
A: Aggressive pour yields 1/2 finger of white head with good retention. Clear golden/bronze liquid. Good looking.

S: Modest crisp herbal citrus of noble hops. Small bit of maltiness. More aroma overall would be nice.

T: Clean malt center with bitter hoppiness around the edges, but without much hop flavor. Pretty god. Not bold. Some lemony citrus hop at the end.

M: Very bitter! Round, full.

D: Very drinkable. I'd order another and buy six. Balanced enough to be a session beer, Hooray!

4.28/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12 ounce bottle into mug.

A: 2 fingers of white head atop orange-lemon yellow body. Head retention is pretty good. Head dwindles down to a nice sheen. Good lacing.

S: Honeycomb piney floral aroma. Nice hoppiness.

T: Magnum, Boadicea and Sovereign hops dominate. It reminds me a bit of a Stone brew with its honeycomb floral hoppiness. I like it that it isn't bitter. I like all the floral and sweet notes of the hops.

M: Kind of thin, but this lends to a nice refreshing finish on this warm fall day.

O: Good

4.28/5  rDev +19.6%

Pours a clear deep golden color with a large off white head that has very good retention and very sticky lacing. What a looker. Not to mention the bottle lable... it's very cool to look at when drinking this beer.

The smells of sweet bread doughy malts play with some spicy/earthy hops in the backdrop. (I want to mention that when the beer is almost finished, and it's warm, the hops turn to this sweet lime citrus that I've never had before. It was very very good when the beer really warmed up. Same with the flavor)

I also taste the same sweet bready doughiness mixed well with the spicy/earthy hops that turned citrusy as it warmed. But with an added noticable and clean hoppy bitterness. Very nice and balanced. The more I have of this beer, the more I love it.

Has a big medium body. Very smooth and balanced carbonation. Has a soft bittersweet finish.

This beer is very very drinkable. I highly suggest this to any beer lover.

400 Pound Monkey from Left Hand Brewing Company