400 Pound Monkey - Left Hand Brewing Company

good

Left Hand Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  6.70% ABV

(Beer added by: garcia2a on 09-03-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 400 Pound Monkey Alström Bros

jmbraxton, Apr 03, 2012

gahurst, Jan 14, 2012

drhurlbut88, Aug 31, 2014

Pillowburn, May 15, 2014
1.1/5  rDev -69.2%

This beer is rank. It tastes like the result of overly roasting rotten grains that were grown on a field of foot fungus. Just terrible.

Apparently this needs to be 250 characters long, so I will try to autopsy this beer. It is supposedly an IPA but any hop flavor has been murdered and left for dead by a terrible roasted nutty flavor (imagine a strange mix of garlic, the scent of a wet ashtray and candied macadamia). I understand diversity in style, perhaps if someone really likes nuts and chocolate/burned flavors and has a genetic defect in their taste buds, this is for them. But, it is not an IPA, and it tastes terrible.

ipaemily, Nov 20, 2012
1.18/5  rDev -66.9%

There is stuff floating in this bottle. I am inclined to think it is cardboard based on the awful
fish taste. Could be yeast, but then who would make a beer with such an awful taste and charge $2 per bottle in a 12-pack? This is my first beer from this brewery so who knows? It actually looks fairly decent (minus the floaties ) until you try to drink it.

Grathan, Feb 22, 2013
1.25/5  rDev -65%

A - dark amber to copper in color

S - I actually thought this beer was skunked. Rancid as if maybe it had gotten too warm at some point during storage/shipment

T - I sent the beer back. The skunky smell carried through to the mouth. A very metallic, sulfuric aftertaste. The kind waitress informed me that after being tasted by someone that knows better, this was actually how the beer was supposed to taste. Really?

M - Carbonation average for an ale. Strong biscuity dry afterfeel.

O - Never again. One of the worst beer tasting experiences ever.

blittle, Mar 27, 2011
1.25/5  rDev -65%

WeckBrew, Mar 11, 2012
1.35/5  rDev -62.2%

Yuck. This smells and tastes a little like very old hops mixed, but mainly bad fish. I could not locate the brewed on date, but I bought it at a reputable store that sells only beer; hopefully, they'll honor a return.

I can't actually say that I've ever been compelled to even try to return a beverage, but this beer was so bad I couldn't drink it. I'm pretty adventurous, but this was just plain off.

3/6 bottle all equally bad, maybe it was a bad batch. The brewery clearly has a good reputation and I think I've enjoyed this beer years ago, but I'm not 100% sure.

Sorry to have to report this is a bad brew, but that's pretty much all there is to say. Based on appearance and general carbonation and mouthfeel, it had potential, and if you read I'm not alone in this negative experience.... just AVOID this and drink any of the 100s of others.

snilsen13, Mar 06, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -58%

ZekemusMaximus, Feb 19, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -58%

denver10, Mar 07, 2012
1.63/5  rDev -54.3%

Bottled: 02/01/2011

Appearance - Coppery. Little head that dissipates very quickly.

Smell: Smells like a fermenting dumpster and some malt.

Taste: Again, garbage juice. This beer has an overwhelming funk. I seriously gagged a couple times. As far as beer flavor go, crisp with an unusually chalky and dark malt character compared to the color.

Mouthfeel: Watery IPA.

Drinkability: I'd rather be drinking a macrobrew.

Personal critique: I bought and opened the beer without any preconceptions and was throughly disappointed. I came to BA expecting it to get a slamming but it seems other people like it. I love IPAs but I'd rather be drinking a PBR or High Life than this. Maybe I got a shitty bottle, even though it's a one and a quarter month old and I got it refrigerated from a specialty beer store. I'm just happy I *sip&gag* was able to distract myself with this review while drinking the beer.

l33tNinjaPirate, Mar 12, 2011
1.65/5  rDev -53.8%

poured a hazy pale golden color. less then an inch of off white head. Settling pretty dark quick to leave a thin collar.
Aroma? What aroma? Aroma is mia, aside from a very very small amount of malt and sweetness. No hops at all in the nose. WTF is this shit?
Taste is also concerning. Metallic, mild corn like husky flavors. Finishing with metallic bitters and aspirin.
Mouthfeel is thin and crisp. I cant even describe how much I dislike this. Done...

I got 'the troops' version of the original english ipa style. Heavy on the watered down.

Buebie, Nov 06, 2010