400 Pound Monkey - Left Hand Brewing Company

good

Left Hand Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  6.70% ABV

(Beer added by: garcia2a on 09-03-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 400 Pound Monkey Alström Bros
3.65/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours a good-sized head. Color is amber. Smell is quite fruity, grapefruit and hops are strong in it.

First sip is, considering the big flavor portfolio, a bit light. Then again, being used to the American IPA standard, it shouldn't be a surprise that although less hoppy, this IPA still has certain qualities that aren't apparent in other. There's a balance with the malt and the hops that make this one of the most well-balanced IPA's that I tried.

Left Hand really does know what they're doing in the brews that they make. Try this one if you have the chance.

techfed87, Apr 14, 2011
4.08/5  rDev +14.3%

I'm a huge fan of IPA and APA and I was looking to try something a little different. So, here it goes....

Appearance - Poured an amber/gold color with a very little head. Head was bright yellowish and was barely 1/4". Very light lacing. Not impressed so far.

Smell - Can't quite put my "nose" on the hops. I smell floral, but also a sweetness. Very aromatic, but not powerful like most pale ales that I've had. Let's see what we have here...

Taste - The pale ale definitely comes through here. Obviously dry-hopped and bitter, not as bitter as an IPA, but just as enjoyable. Very balanced.

Mouthfeel - This beer sticks to every part of the inside of my mouth. That's a good thing. Carbonation is perfect and while I swig this beer, I enjoy it even more.

Overall - I like this beer. I would drink it as much as I would any of my favorite pale ales. It's a little different, because it seems a bit lighter than other IPA's. I suggest you go buy this and see for yourself. This beer is flavorful, somewhat light (NOT WATERED DOWN!!), but it still grabs your taste buds and squeezes them till you beg for more.

shaunb81, Apr 11, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +10.6%

This beer poured a pale golden color with a small white head that ran quickly to lace. Retention was very... 'english'

The aroma was mildly bready with earthy hops dancing in the background. Clean grains and a touch of minerals in noticed as the brew warms.

The taste is where this beer gets ya.... A nice clean profile with a hint of light caramel malts and a touch of toasted bread. This is followed immediately by a grassy, garden fresh hop flavor that's a nice change from many American made IPAs. The finish is clean and dry with a nice lingering bitterness.

Mouthfeel's a tad bubbly for and 'English style', but it works with this one.... Light and dry, very clean. Surprisingly cool and refreshing for a beer approaching 7%.

Overall, this ones a winner. I'll definitely buy this again!

NordeastBrewer77, Apr 11, 2011
3.08/5  rDev -13.7%

Pours a slightly hazy golden copper with a one and a half finger frothy white head, rather poor retention but all kinds of webbing and lacing on the glass.

Odd smell, not too familiar with the English IPA variety but I don't think any other beer smells quite like this. Earthy, grassy pungent hops that picks up a good amount of wet soil and garden weeds. Slight citrus and caramel malt, actually quite humid and musty. I also sense some calm shells and sea salt.

Taste has a citrus and grassy hop profile, citrus was quite unexpected yet still muted and earthy. This gives way to some caramel malts, for balance, not very bready, slightly sweet and adequate. Dries nicely with appreciable bitterness on the end of the drink.

Average carbonation and body. Dries nicely with lingering bitterness, but honestly all IPAs do that. Ho-hum.

All over the map with this one, takes a better palate than mine to sense the subtle nature of of this brew, I felt the taste was a bit airy at times with hop bitterness running the show. Tastes a bit different than it smells. Not bad but minor league as far as IPAs go.

rawfish, Apr 10, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a slightly hazy off-golden color with medium sized head. mixed citrus and cakebread on the nose. Some of that cakebread quality is present on the palate too with a nicely balanced bitterness. A mineral component is there too . Easy drinking and a refreshing change from so many American IPA .

yemenmocha, Apr 08, 2011
2.9/5  rDev -18.8%

A: A hazy apricot color of orange with a slightly off-white colored head. Nice thin lacing sticks to the glass.

S: On the nose, I get citrus, floral, and a tiny tiny bit of toastyness - it's slightly sweet smelling.

T: Its bitter, but not overly-so. Defiantly an English style IPA. Nothing of note about the taste other than orange flavors and a small sweetness that is left after the swallow.

M: Watery, low carbonation, slick. Overall - not good.

D: Despite it's flaws, it is a highly drinkable beer.

tlazaroff, Apr 02, 2011

Picked this up in Totowa last week since I never tried it before and I like most of Left Hand's offerings. I was expecting a hob bomb out of this but sure enough, I was pleasantly surprised at how good and drinkable this beer was. It's probably because something like this isn't popular compared to the IPA's popular on the West Coast, but it makes for a beer that goes down just a bit easier!

Nice golden hue to this with a fluffy head and lots of carbonation. The aroma was quite strong too as I could smell this as soon as I opened it up. Mouthfeel and lacing were nice as well as this was balanced and left rings as I worked my way down the glass. Some pine and citrus in the hops here, an earthy undertone, and the consistency of resin all combined to make this very mellow and easygoing, given this style of beer that this fell under.

While this isn't a session beer, I could have easily had a few in a sitting since it wasn't that strong and didn't leave me puckering up after each sip. Having the bottling date legible in English on the side was also good even though this was a bit older than I would have liked to have seen. Pleasant surprises are one of the aspects of trying new beers that I love and this certainly fell under that category. I"m surprised this isn't rated higher on here!

JerzDevl2000, Mar 31, 2011
3.3/5  rDev -7.6%

Bottled on date on front label of bottle. 1/2 inch fizzy white head on a clear, sparkling pale amber body, lots of tiny bubbles rising to the surface. Head quickly dissipated to a thin layer on the top. Good lacing. Moderately hoppy, citrus aroma. Initial taste was moderately bitter, heavy hops in the finish. Mouthfeel was medium creamy, not as fizzy as I expected. Not a big fan of IPAs, one was enough for me.

WVRadar, Mar 28, 2011
1.25/5  rDev -65%

A - dark amber to copper in color

S - I actually thought this beer was skunked. Rancid as if maybe it had gotten too warm at some point during storage/shipment

T - I sent the beer back. The skunky smell carried through to the mouth. A very metallic, sulfuric aftertaste. The kind waitress informed me that after being tasted by someone that knows better, this was actually how the beer was supposed to taste. Really?

M - Carbonation average for an ale. Strong biscuity dry afterfeel.

O - Never again. One of the worst beer tasting experiences ever.

blittle, Mar 27, 2011
3.4/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I tried this beer for the second time....and found it to be much better than what I originally rated it below. My initial rating was a 2.78. I think is good....still not as good as Bass, but much better than how I reviewed it below and if available I would drink this again.

Its dinner time for the kids and we have been all over the Bourbonais and Chicago area this morning and afternoon. My daughter placed 10th over all at her State gymnastics meet for her age group...SWEET! Buddy brought this beer over and decided to try it tonight...wish I didnt. I really dont think I like this beer. Its a cloudy golden thin white head and decent lacing. Not much smell and the taste is all English style....but it is not as good as BASS. Anyway....good luck if you try this one...its not for me!

WoodBrew, Mar 27, 2011
3.45/5  rDev -3.4%

A drfty-hazy, golden blond color. full of life, white foamy that seperates and fades in moderate fashion.

Minty, resinous and piney hop, citric and tangy with a strange musty aroma that seems to be coming from the yeast.

A snappy-medium feeling malt, crispy and slightly sharp hop feel with all kinds of erratic tangy notes that seem to strange along with a funky and out of place yeastie effect.

besides it's strange and "off" flavors from dead yeast this one is pretty much normal

GratefulBeerGuy, Mar 23, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +19%

A: Bright, clear golden blondie color - a very pretty American style! Good head, average retention. Good lacing.

S: Some interesting, delicate floral hoppy notes (like an IPA, but more subtle), alcohol, some malt.

T: Wow - was I surprised! Starts out hoppy like an IPA, slides nicely into delicate caramelly malts, an alcohol tinge and nice, long, balanced mellow & wet lingertaste. Complex series of events going on here! Nice water.

MF: Clean, crisp, creamy & refreshing.

Overall: This sure ain't no English IPA (and I sure do love those English Pale Ales) - this is its blondie sexy, full-bodied, full-flavored floozy American (hoppier) version that unabashedly flaunts full-frontal strong alcohol with your overwhelmed tastebuds. Had me at first sip! I sure ain't no hophead but I sure so recognize a very, very good beer. I wuz taken with this one! Very Recommended!

ProfessorHomer, Mar 22, 2011
1.63/5  rDev -54.3%

Bottled: 02/01/2011

Appearance - Coppery. Little head that dissipates very quickly.

Smell: Smells like a fermenting dumpster and some malt.

Taste: Again, garbage juice. This beer has an overwhelming funk. I seriously gagged a couple times. As far as beer flavor go, crisp with an unusually chalky and dark malt character compared to the color.

Mouthfeel: Watery IPA.

Drinkability: I'd rather be drinking a macrobrew.

Personal critique: I bought and opened the beer without any preconceptions and was throughly disappointed. I came to BA expecting it to get a slamming but it seems other people like it. I love IPAs but I'd rather be drinking a PBR or High Life than this. Maybe I got a shitty bottle, even though it's a one and a quarter month old and I got it refrigerated from a specialty beer store. I'm just happy I *sip&gag* was able to distract myself with this review while drinking the beer.

l33tNinjaPirate, Mar 12, 2011
3.65/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. The bottle bears a date stamp of 11/8/10. Pours a hazy golden yellow, with a thin soapy head.

Has a faint toffee malt smell, but not much else is going on aroma-wise.

Starts quite bitter, with a faint toffee malt sweetness beneath. The bitterness clenches the tongue, fading at the back of the tongue. Good, but not terribly complex.

Medium-bodied, with a dry finish.

Easy drinking, this is the third decent beer I've had from the Left Hand missed 12 pack. A good 12 pack to pick up if you're having people over for a casual evening of games and brews, and want something that will taste good but not overtax the pallates of your guests.

TheHoppiest, Mar 10, 2011
3.55/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Left Hand 400 Pound Monkey

Appearance: A clear deep-gold body with an orange cast beneath a short head of bright white foam. Head retention is excellent, and the lacing is above average, leaving some nice rings of thin lace about the glass.

Smell: Not as distinctively hoppy as one might expect, however it is surprisingly fruity: tangerine, apricot, perhaps papaya or mango. It's a little grassy as well. The tropical character is odd... maybe the name has something to do with it?

Taste: Fruitiness and grassy/raspy hops upfront. Somewhat sugary/biscuity malt rises as it warms. Solid bitterness. Finishes dry with some almost spruce-like hops left lingering.

Mouthfeel: Medium-Full. Moderate carbonation level.

Drinkability: There's an interesting yeasty fruitiness to it, and as an English style IPA it can get away with less hops in the nose and flavor, but it somehow seems off. I suspect it's fermented a bit high in temperature.

NeroFiddled, Mar 09, 2011

This pours hazy light orange with 1 1/2 fingers of foamy head and some lacing. The nose is light hops with a stronger sweet malty smell to follow. The taste is very bitter with a hint of honey up front.This reminds me of an English bitter. 400 Pound Monkey is tasty, but pretty bitter. I would like a little more malt balance. The body is medium but overall easy to drink. This is a good beer for a change, I usually like American IPA. This is similar to Goose Island Honker's Ale, only more bold. The box says "earth and herbal". I would agree with that...maybe aged, wet hops...very earthy.

beerdown77, Mar 09, 2011
3.33/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured from a bottle. Thin head dissolves quickly. Orange-yellow colored beer. Smells of fruity hops. Orange citrus smell predominates. Taste is also orange flavored hops. A very mild bitter hop kick, but nothing like a hoppy IPA or Czech pilsner. Mouthfeel is average, average carbonation and density and smoothness. Drinkability is ok, about average. I'm not craving another but I wouldn't pass on having it again.

jar2574, Mar 04, 2011
2.85/5  rDev -20.2%

served in a flute pint glass..

a- light amber, dark pale straw color, very smalll head that quickly dissipates

s- bready malt smell with some scent of grassy, grapefruit hops

t- very bready malt, not so much sweet...some grassy hops and a little fruity, not very complex...almost metallic and bitter tasting at the end

m- best part, very smooth and creamy

d- can drink a lot of it, but does not look to forward to next sip

ken2cart1, Mar 01, 2011
3.78/5  rDev +5.9%

12 oz. A very pale golden pour, and very small amount of white bubbles. Still looks like it sticks to the glass ok.

Aroma is very herbal. Hints of malt and citrus as well.

Taste is very balanced, caramel, malt with citrus and a bunch of spiciness, pepper. Finishes with some of the toffee, herbal and bitter hops.

Could use more carbonation to get the flavors to pop a bit more. Lighter bodied almost watery. Sessionable feeling, but abv kind of prevents that. All right for the English style.

Bung, Feb 28, 2011
3.43/5  rDev -3.9%

This is a good beer. Made a curry, and served this with it. The beer stands up to spicy food. I am not sure that this is my favorite IPA, but I would not turn one down.

Clear in glass, good head. Carbonation correct. Nice flavors and mouth feel. Not as hoppy as I would expect.

mcwilson04, Feb 27, 2011
3.6/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

400th review and a fitting one due to the title.

12oz bottled Feb 2, 2011. Quite fresh.

Pours clear golden amber with a two finger white head that leaves some rings of lacing and holds a faint cap.

Aroma is some citrus of oranges and lemon, some tropical fruit and melon, a bit grassy and floral, some caramel and bread. Moderate to good strength.

Flavor is grassy and floral hops, hints of orange/tangerine and citrus, fair caramel and biscuit malt backbone, good bitterness, mild sweetness, some mild vegetal notes on the finish.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, oily, medium carbonation.

Definitely different than your typical American IPA, quite good, glad I got a chance to try it.

elgiacomo, Feb 24, 2011
3.98/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a traditional pint glass.

A: Pours a slighlty hazy golden color with a frothy white head that has great retention. Lacing is sticky and clings to the glass.

S: Grainy malt with some fruity aromas, and a slight nutty character, along with floral, grassy hop notes.

T: Balanced as I would imagine. Malt lends flavors of biscuit, caramel, toast, and some banana. This is balanced out with a slightly floral, grassy, and dry hop character.

Notes: This is a medium-bodied, full-flavored example of what Americans can do with a British style. The creamy mouthfeel screams English. The hop character brings out the US side. A solid brew, and may be one of my new favorite offerings from Left Hand. Even at it's strength, is a session brew by all means!

WYVYRN527, Feb 23, 2011
3.55/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours an opaque yellow, with large white head and good lacing.
Aroma is citrus grapefruit. I can already tell this is going to be a bitter English-style IPA.
Taste is right in line -- bitter citrus, a little pine.
Overall, not a bad IPA, but not a favorite of mine.

secondtooth, Feb 21, 2011
3.68/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours an apricot/tangerine color. Not much head and what's there is white and has little retention.

A unique smell. A combination of straw, citrus fruits and even bubble gum. Smells like I just cut the grass.

Like most IPAs, there's vinous, earthy notes that dominate.

Standard fare for the style. It starts off bitter and ends slightly more bitter. However, it's got a cleansing feel to it and the bitter is never overwhelming.

Despite being mild for the type, it's still bitter and that ABV is pretty manly. One of these is plenty.

RickS95, Feb 21, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a nonic - on the very end of what I consider acceptable freshness for an IPA like this (bottled late October).

Pours a very clear golden colour with a tiny head that leaves some decent lacing. The smell is primarily refreshing citrus (lemon/grapefruit) and some smooth hops and malts. The taste is very good! It first goes down fruity and hoppy, then a bit of the citrus character come in followed by smooth malts. There's some nice bitterness and complexity to this one here that makes sipping (glugging) it a pleasure.

It has a lighter body that leaves the mouth finely coated, and the drinkability is also very good. A nice brew from Left Hand, a unique IPA that's definitely sixer-worthy if you're looking for something different and drinkable.

shand, Feb 19, 2011