Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

400 Pound Monkey - Left Hand Brewing Company

400 Pound Monkey400 Pound Monkey

good

Left Hand Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  6.80% ABV

Beer added by: garcia2a on 09-03-2008

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 400 Pound Monkey Alström Bros
Reviews: 539 | Hads: 2,050
3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

Appearance: Little head or froth covers a golden liquid. Somewhat like pouring an Old Speckled Hen or other typical English ale.
Smell: Indistinguishable yet floral and buttery.
Mouthfeel: Not overcarbonated, about as dry as the aforementioned English beers would be.
Taste: Immediate hit of hops, dried fruit, vanilla. Further tasting reveals a more bitter and sweet note that lingers. Dare I say, caramel.
Overall: Extremely enjoyable. Not too heavy that the more elegant qualities of its taste are overwhelmed. For a Twisted Thistle fan, this hit the spot. (559 characters)

2.19/5  rDev -38.5%

Date: 8/30/14
Other notes: Picked up as part of a build-your-own 6-pack. Best by date of 8/30/14 (the same day I bought it, as fate would have it)

Appearance - 4/5
Pours a clear golden-orange. A little bit of head rentention. Overall a nice color and a nice look. Seems appetizing.

Smell - 1.5/5
Smells gross to be honest. Maybe salted fish or vinegar? It's hard to define.

Taste - 1.5/5
Taste is not good either. The taste has the same salty-vinegary-ness as the smell. NOT something I want in a beer at all. If I try to not breath through my nose at all while I drink, I taste some sweet maltiness, and some hops. I thought I had tasted bad beer, but this beer tastes nasty.

Mouthfeel - 3/5
Light to medium in body. Fairly crisp. Light to medium carbonation. Honestly it was hard to focus on the mouthfeel because all I could think about was how bad the smell/taste was.

Overall - 1.5/5
Part of me wants to give this beer a higher rating, because it seems like something MUST be wrong with the batch I'm tasting. Or the particular bottle. But as it is, this beer is straight up nasty. In all seriousness, I don't know if I have had a grosser tasting beer before. I am surprised given Left Hand Brewing's reputation.

Weighting: Appearance 15%, Smell 15%, Taste 35%, Mouthfeel 15%, Overall 20% (1,300 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

A. Average poor ½ inch of gold/white head that dissipates to lace around the rim. Little carbonation from bottom of glass. Orange in color.
S. Hops, yeast, and alcohol is evident.
T. Taste like it smells but with a metallic taste.
M. The hops bites back a little, slightly dry.
O. Taste like an English IPA. Average buzz for 6.8%. The label is awesome. (353 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

On draft, pours a very clear copper orange color. A very tho layer of head sits on the glass, lacing as the beer disappears.

The nose is spice, earthy hops, chives, not much malt. The flavor is earthy hops, with a malt backbone. A little cotton candy, spice, potato. This is old school ipa, but not a great interpretation. Unfortunately, my preferences have changed and this doesn't stand out like I am sure it did 10 years ago. (434 characters)

3.74/5  rDev +5.1%

This was good, but not as good as I thought it would be. Nice malt backbone, I do like getting some malt through at the end after the hops come at the beginning and that's what you get here. Nice lace on the glass, yellow brown body, not too impressive looking overall. Nice carbonation, and served at the right temperature. I'd drink this again. (346 characters)

3.71/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Here goes:

A: Very good. Pours a clear yellow-orange with a great head and lacing. Overall, quite good.

S: Just OK. I prefer the American hops to the British ones, but the latter are still good. Very bitter and somewhat resiny flavor. Lemon and milder citrus flavors.

T: Just OK. Lots of lemon peel. Unlike in other British IPA's and pale ales, however, the malt is somewhat muted. I don't detect the lightly-kilned caramel and amber malts. Somewhat disappointing.

M: Just OK. Very light-bodied.

O: A good beer but I was disappointed at the lack of malt presence. Usually the British pale ales and IPA's have a stronger malt backbone. I taste the British hops in this beer but the malt is sadly not present. (712 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured out a deep copper/light brown, decent head that left a bit of lacing.

Definitely a bit of fuggle type hops, the pine-y citrusy kind. Not overly pungent.

More balanced than bitter. Definitely a bit of caramel and toffee in the malt body with a touch of bitterness. A little bland, but tasty none the less.

Pretty rich body, a bit syrupy.

Its decent but nothing special, not my favorite style. (403 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +16.9%

sweet smelling bread nuts and banana notes, smells awesome, fluffy white head, lots of air in there.

piney hops bite with a crisp sweet fruity finish. sticky mouth feel. taste pretty English actually. I really am enjoy this,

yeah a whole lots of hops bite , my kind of ipa. (277 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle purchased at Atlas Bottle Works in Pittsburgh, PA on 6/27/14. Poured into Fuller's globe glass.

A - Bright, golden hue. Decent head on pour, dissipating quickly to a thin residual layer of foam.

S - Smells much better than she looks: Rich vegetal hop aromas redolent of dried pineapple.

T - Pronounced vegetal hop flavor working together with a deep malt profile right off the bat. Definitely not an American IPA, but this is delicious.

M - Good pale ale balance of creaminess and carbonation. The hops dry out the palate sufficiently without going too far.

O - A nice beer, I'll keep an eye out for it on tap where I think an enhanced mouthfeel will accentuate the flavor of this ale. (702 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +11.2%

12oz bottle (best before 08/13/14) served in a shaker pint glass.

Appearance: Starts off with a chill haze and then goes clear. Clear bright amber. Thin white head that dies back to a very thin skin. Small amounts of fine strand lacing.

Smell: Herbal, floral, fruity. Fruit notes have a hint of peach to them.

Taste: Nice contrast of hops & bitterness with bread-like malt sweetness. The hop flavors have orange and lemon notes, along with a hint of mint. Very nice.

Mouthfeel: Light carbonation, little bit sticky, little bit spicy.

Overall / Drinkability: Very drinkable - I wish I had another one as this one got finished quickly in a pairing with vegetable Tikka Masala. Overall, a full flavored English IPA. (721 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Soft gold color with a bright dense head of white. Holds remarkably. Retention and appearance get high marks. Some bubbles scurrying north through any kind of light.

Chalky herbal hops, aspirin, some leaf decay, and a malt from overseas. Perhaps, picking up some Saaz spiciness. Malts have a lightweight quality with some noticeable wheat in the aroma. Nice.

Very bitter for an EIPA. Starts right there in the beginning with brash herbal and medicinal hops. Some phenolic flavors in there, too. Has a dried up chalkiness, but throws a stone and citrus. Floral, in a good way, especially in the finish. Wheat/barley mix goes at you with flavors of old biscuit. Has that mix of astringency and bitterness that is a bit harsh, but that dog cracker malt gives it earthiness. Barely salty. Interesting, especially in the way that I like it.

Medium body with a purging crunch of carbonation. It's a good feel for an IPA, as it is, but it really accentuates the gritty astringencies of the flavor.

Something about this beer... it's all man. It's lighter in feel, but kind of brutal in flavor. It's a little challenging for a beginner... or a Brit! Haha. Weighty with bitterness for the style, like a 400-pound monkey. (1,214 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Sam Adams pub glass. Clear light amber color with 1 finger head plenty of lacing on the glass.
Aromas are floral and very grassy though a lot more noticeable when taking the first sip. Very doughy malts, mild carbonation, and only mild bitterness that goes with the style.
Overall a decent English style ipa very easy drinking. I would buy again though not a true fan of the style. (416 characters)

3.84/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Poured from a bottle with an enjoy by date of 5/31/14; into a pub glass.
Appearance - orange, mild carbonation, thin white head that leaves scattered lacing.
Smell - earthy and herbal hops; doughy malts.
Taste - very earthy and herbal; some tobacco and spice, much more noticeable in the taste compared to the nose.
Feel - medium body; not enough bitterness from the hops, but expected from an English IPA.
Overall - an enjoyable English, not my style, but I'd have another. (474 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +32.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance - Golden with a slight brown

Smell- Malty with a slight hop note

Taste- Strong malt at first giving way to hops. Very good example of an english IPA

Mouthfeel- Could be a bit smoother slight bite and a little thick

Overall- I love this IPA! Drank it out of a bottle for years but on tap is the way to go. (319 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -9.6%

Pours a clear copper with a nice bubbly head. Slight pine, bread and spice smell. The caramel malt really comes through with a bit of fruit in the background. A nice touch of bitter aftertaste. A medium-light mouth with some carbonation. Very pleasant. (252 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

12oz Bottle received in trade with cfrancis - thanks!

Appearance - Copper colour with an average size fizzy off-white coloured head. There is a low amount of carbonation showing and there is some decent lacing on the sides of the glass. The head lasted for 2-3 minutes before it began to dissipate.

Smell - Malts, caramel, hops, grass

Taste & Mouth - There is a below average amount of carbonation and I can taste caramel and malts mixed with light hops. There is also some wet grass/hay and some cereal notes.

Overall - Comes across a little like an oktoberfest type beer not a EIPA. An okay beer, but not really fitting of the style. I wouldn't pick this one up again. (674 characters)

3.64/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a standard pint.

A: Golden hue. Pours a 1 finger, bubbly, white head. Settles quickly leaving a smattering of bubbles. Very light spider web lacing.

S: Pine straw, honey, and pine resin.

T: Light floral hops. Pecan shells. White bread.

M: Light and crisp with a syrupy consistency on the palate, and a lightly bitter finish.

D: Sessionable.

Atmosphere is pretty good. Bubbly head, light lacing. Nose is piney with a distinct sweetness. Floral hops and bitter pecan shell, bready and crisp. Overall, this is a good quaff. (570 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12 ounce bottle poured into tulip glass

A hazy pale straw, one finger head, excellent retention, and excellent lacing

S - citrus and pine, basically weak nose

T - Initial taste is very sweet with hints of apples, peaches, and oranges. It finishes a little dry but bitter with hints of citrus (lemon and grapefruit.)

M - well carbonated, bit of an aftertaste

O - not bad. I'd drink this one again. (401 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Straw gold and crystal clear, 400 Pound Monkey looks a lot prettier than its name suggests. Monkeys are filthy, nasty animals. A finger of eggshell cream dissolves showing early signs of sticky lacing.

I can already smell the hops at the pour, even though I'm serving it a bit on the cold side (~40F). On closer inspection, the nose isn't as strong as I'd hoped, and unfortunately this bottle must have been somewhat lightstruck (even though it came in a cardboard box?), because it's slightly skunked.

The taste is not right. My bottle shows 2 months until the "best before," but it tastes like old hops and cardboard. There's not much malt behind the hops, though there is a good dose of carbonation and a slight alcoholic heat. The mouthfeel is very astringent and tangy, but I'm not really picking up many discernible flavors in the muddled taste.

The hops are very tart and slightly lemony, but the flavor is muffled by the harshness and an almost metallic flavor. A slight sweetness becomes more prominent as it warms.

There was also no lacing; I swirled the glass to try to bring out more flavors, and the beer reconsumed the lacing and it never reappeared.

When I first tried this beer, I didn't like it. I've had it since and thought that my first impression was wrong, but once again, I'm underwhelmed by 400#M. I think my bottle was a little skunky, which I'm not factoring into my score, but the beer also just doesn't have a good flavor or aroma, and I would only buy this again if I had to to choose between this and macro lagers. (1,550 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with fun appealing label art and white/red branded pry-off pressure cap acquired as a single at Whole Foods' HQ and served into an Avery stem-snifter in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are above average given the brewery. Reviewed as an English Style IPA because the label identifies it as such. 6.8% ABV according to the label. Best by: 01/14/14.

Served cold - straight from me fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as I pour.

Pours a half finger wide head of white colour. Disappointingly thin. Poor (~30 second) retention. No lacing sticks to the sides of the glass as the head recedes.

Body colour is a clear translucent textbook copper of above average vibrance. No yeast particles are visible.

Overall, it's predictably within style conventions and I'm looking forward to trying it, though it's not unique or special. There are no obvious flaws.

Sm: More grainy than anticipated. Touches of floral and herbal hop character. Bready malts. Pale malts. A touch of grapefruit. Little in the way of citrusy, nectary, or oily hops; the focus here is definitely floral/herbal, and there's not much hop bitterness as a result. I'm a big fan of the graininess, which is full and interesting without delving into blandness or adjunct territory. It's a bit sprucey. The rocky mountain water is showcased well here; it does have that überclean crisp spring water vibe. The leavening malted wheat is a nice touch; I'd guess flaked wheat was used. If we're guessing hop varietals (which I'm terrible at), I'd go with noble/saaz - strange choices for an IPA if I'm right.

No alcohol or yeast character is detectable.

A clean, crisp, appealing aroma of mild strength. It's not your run-of-the-mill standard fare IPA aroma, and I think the bready malt is what really sets it apart. I'm not quite convinced the hop choices are ideal.

T: The graininess is lovely, and features an unexpected hint of brief spice. Pale malts, caramalt, and flaked wheat fill out the body nicely. Hopwise, the beer features floral and herbal character, but unfortunately little else. No grapefruit or citrus here, but I do get mellow orchard apple and maybe some pear there on the back end. Bready malts lend a touch of sweetness. The beer is well balanced in terms of bitterness and sweetness, and the general balance is pretty good, though there isn't much complexity or subtlety. It's well put together and has a good cohesion, but I wouldn't say it's a gestalt build. It does leave a lot to be desired in terms of hop character, but I like what they did with the malty end. Average depth and duration of flavour. Decent amplitude. Below average intensity of flavour for the style. Quite clean and approachable.

No yeast character or alcohol comes through. There are no off-notes.

The orchard apple coupled with the graininess is a stand-out aspect of the beer for me.

Mf: Delightfully clean and crisp. Smooth and wet, with a very light bite. A bit overcarbonated. Has a good lightly aggressive presence on the palate, asserting its flavours without too much abrasiveness. Good body and thickness. Complements the flavour profile well. A bit acidic.

Not oily, harsh, gushed, astringent, boozy, or hot.

Dr: Very drinkable. I got this as a single, but I wouldn't have been disappointed had I purchased a six pack instead. I might pick this up again at the right price. It's got an interesting approach to the style, and it has some elements I really like, but it never quite comes together like it needs to in order to run with the big dogs. A worthwhile brew from Left Hand, but far from mind-blowing. Certainly worth trying. I'd encourage friends to try it.

C+ (3,792 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Got this at a Wegmans up near Syracuse.

Slightly hazy gold on the pour with virtually no head. Maybe I was too easy on it.

Mild hops hit my crappy olfactories..maybe slightly peppery?

Taste was a bit more hop assertive with a mild malt backbone and a dry finish.

Mouthfeel is on the light side with moderate carbonation.

I guess the English style of IPA is more of a session beer than the American version. (412 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Had on tap at Sunset Cantina. Pours a very hazy golden color with no head. Little lacing and mildly carbonated. Not much of a smell. Has a malty lemon smell but nothing overwhelming. Tastes a bit sour to me, with little hops in the traditional style - a bit malty taste. Second and third tatses not really doing it for me with this one. (336 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Spot for a bottling date on the label but no date printed.

Appearance: Dark straw hue and very hazy. Don't see any floaters through which is a good thing. Small frothy off-white head. Good lacing.

Aroma: Spicy English hops and some graham cracker malt. Not much more to it than that.

Taste: Starts with crisp white pepper and earth hop character that contributes a great level of moderate bitterness. Just as in the aroma, biscuity/graham cracker malt flavor rounds out the flavor and balances the hops very well. The finish is clean with an unfortunate moment of metallic flavor in the aftertaste followed by spicy hop bitterness. Good level of flavor for 6.7% ABV.

Mouthfeel: Medium in body with average carbonation and good drinkability.

Final Thoughts: I'm a hop head but English-style IPAs tend to be an achilles heel of mine due to their unappealing hop character and dry bitterness. 400 Pound Monkey, on the other hand, is a good example of the style done in a tasty and drinkable way. Would I drink it again? Yes. (1,026 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

A-pours a hazy golden color with a white fluffy head that leaves a very nice lacing
S-some lemon and a bit earthy, bready malt
T-a well balanced combination of sweet malt with a dry biscuit finish and earthy/lemon citrus hops
M-medium bodied
O-pretty solid brew and highly sessionable. Wouldn't necessarily seek it out but wouldn't pass it up if it came my way again (366 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +16.9%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass.

Pours medium amber with a off white head. Tons of lacing hanging about as it is drank. The aroma is filled with bread malts and earthy hops. Lemon and grapefruit also sneak their way into the nose. Lots of grapefruit and orange zest up front in the taste. Hints of toasted caramel malts are also present. Very good mouthfeel, medium bodied. Low ABV makes this a nice drinker. One of the better EIPA I've had. (446 characters)

400 Pound Monkey from Left Hand Brewing Company