400 Pound Monkey - Left Hand Brewing Company

Left Hand Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  6.80% ABV

Beer added by: garcia2a on 09-03-2008

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 400 Pound Monkey Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,024 | Reviews: 559
4.58/5  rDev +27.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I really liked it, yes indeed

How could this swill gain rating of BA of 81 and Bro of 90???? This has the earmarks of the emperor's new clothes and is the worst beer that my palate ever had to endure

Look: someone pee in the bottle including floatees
Smell: aroma was from a gym where jock straps were allowed to marinate for a month
Taste: Brewed with the aforementioned jock Straps
Feel: absolutely no redeeming qualities.
Overall: horrible. This reminded me of the time where we reconstituting the fruits packets from 100s of MREs and making wine from that concoction while I was serving in the Middle East. At least the wine had much better flavor

My back ground was shape by serving 20 years in the US Air Force. This allowed me to travel to many parts of the US and overseas to sample many types of libations and to develop a discerning palate

3.6/5  rDev +0.6%

It's a really really good IPA. It's just not my type of beer :-//

4.5/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Excellent. The mouthfeel and nose makes for an awesome twist on a classic beer.

3.36/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

This one's a little different. Has a caramel flavor with a smidge of toffee flavor, which I'm not a fan of. It has a little piney aftertaste that lingers longer than I'd like. It's not bad but I probably won't rush out for more.

3.29/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Bitter with a funky bread taste

3.69/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Brilliant golden in color topped with a fluffy off-white head.
Good lacing.

Nose exhibits some pretty assertive hop character, with notes of pine and citrus. There's also a sweet, rich malt character, and a touch of yeast, but the hop profile straightaway seems closer to a by-now familiar American I.P.A.

Sweet, lightly-tangy and aromatic on the first sip, in the best possible way. Yeast character is a little bit more pronounced in this by comparison to an American I.P.A., and the malt is also a bit more pumped-up and juicy. There's a sweetness that isn't cloying, but more in line with a natural fruit juice (think: pineapple), and indeed notes of ripe pear, golden apple, and pineapple are good points of reference.

While there's a nice malt character and component sweetness, there's that assertive hop profile keeping everything in a good sense of balance. Lingering bitterness is worth noting, here, just as the initial burst of hop aroma set this beer off on a good start, so does that bitterness keep the sweetness in check.

Malt profile is pretty sturdy, so this one has a good, solid feel to it which is appropriate for the style. It's a bit bigger, too, so to my mind an excellent sipper.

A very good beer overall, and it much better than I had expected it to be.

4.4/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pretty bitter, but an overall great beer. An acquired taste, tho.

4.58/5  rDev +27.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I really enjoyed this beer.

3.31/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Corey ok, but not as good as some

4.1/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Amber color with thin lingering surface bubbles. Sweet malt folowed by moderate fresh hops bitterness. Medium thick body, fairly smooth. A solid english style IPA.

4.6/5  rDev +28.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

First time drinking an English style IPA so not sure how it compares but I really like this beer!

4.48/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I do not usually like IPA's that much. They are way too over-hopsy for my taste. However, now this one - for the APA-lover that I am - is the perfect IPA. Another fantastic beer from an outstanding brewery.

2.5/5  rDev -30.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This is an average beer

3.89/5  rDev +8.7%

A good ipa, nice bitter taste, nice feel

3.61/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Haven't been drink or rating (full rating) as much as usually so I figured I should start back up again.

Bought on sale at Morgans Liquor in Denver, poured into an imperial pint glass.

A&S: Fizzy white colored head with large bubbles incorporated into a general foam. Pours about a finger and above average lacing upon first sip. Head dies very quickly, but retains at a thin layer. Transparent and lively light orange colored beer. The aroma is more citrus than the taste would make it seem like it would be, but definably contains a good amount of maltiness.

T&M: More malty than your run of the mill IPA on the market. Other tones include caramel and slight citrus and piney elements. Almost has a rye like bitterness to it. This beer seems more like a hoppy amber, but I suppose that is part of the English IPA style. Pretty bitter in the finish. Carbonation is on the high side of medium and body is medium.

Overall: I've had this beer before, but I guess I never rated it. Not a bad beer, I think part of the reason for the lower BA score is due to palate being use to American style IPAs, at least I found myself thrown off at first.

3.5/5  rDev -2.2%

Appearance: Little head or froth covers a golden liquid. Somewhat like pouring an Old Speckled Hen or other typical English ale.
Smell: Indistinguishable yet floral and buttery.
Mouthfeel: Not overcarbonated, about as dry as the aforementioned English beers would be.
Taste: Immediate hit of hops, dried fruit, vanilla. Further tasting reveals a more bitter and sweet note that lingers. Dare I say, caramel.
Overall: Extremely enjoyable. Not too heavy that the more elegant qualities of its taste are overwhelmed. For a Twisted Thistle fan, this hit the spot.

3.81/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A solid, but not extraordinary beer from Left Hand. One of my favorite breweries, but this beer is not their best.

2.19/5  rDev -38.8%

Date: 8/30/14
Other notes: Picked up as part of a build-your-own 6-pack. Best by date of 8/30/14 (the same day I bought it, as fate would have it)

Appearance - 4/5
Pours a clear golden-orange. A little bit of head rentention. Overall a nice color and a nice look. Seems appetizing.

Smell - 1.5/5
Smells gross to be honest. Maybe salted fish or vinegar? It's hard to define.

Taste - 1.5/5
Taste is not good either. The taste has the same salty-vinegary-ness as the smell. NOT something I want in a beer at all. If I try to not breath through my nose at all while I drink, I taste some sweet maltiness, and some hops. I thought I had tasted bad beer, but this beer tastes nasty.

Mouthfeel - 3/5
Light to medium in body. Fairly crisp. Light to medium carbonation. Honestly it was hard to focus on the mouthfeel because all I could think about was how bad the smell/taste was.

Overall - 1.5/5
Part of me wants to give this beer a higher rating, because it seems like something MUST be wrong with the batch I'm tasting. Or the particular bottle. But as it is, this beer is straight up nasty. In all seriousness, I don't know if I have had a grosser tasting beer before. I am surprised given Left Hand Brewing's reputation.

Weighting: Appearance 15%, Smell 15%, Taste 35%, Mouthfeel 15%, Overall 20%

3.22/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

A. Average poor ½ inch of gold/white head that dissipates to lace around the rim. Little carbonation from bottom of glass. Orange in color.
S. Hops, yeast, and alcohol is evident.
T. Taste like it smells but with a metallic taste.
M. The hops bites back a little, slightly dry.
O. Taste like an English IPA. Average buzz for 6.8%. The label is awesome.

4.25/5  rDev +18.7%

great beer this beer and stones ipa helped me get into the realm of IPAs..

3.38/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

On draft, pours a very clear copper orange color. A very tho layer of head sits on the glass, lacing as the beer disappears.

The nose is spice, earthy hops, chives, not much malt. The flavor is earthy hops, with a malt backbone. A little cotton candy, spice, potato. This is old school ipa, but not a great interpretation. Unfortunately, my preferences have changed and this doesn't stand out like I am sure it did 10 years ago.

3.74/5  rDev +4.5%

This was good, but not as good as I thought it would be. Nice malt backbone, I do like getting some malt through at the end after the hops come at the beginning and that's what you get here. Nice lace on the glass, yellow brown body, not too impressive looking overall. Nice carbonation, and served at the right temperature. I'd drink this again.

3.75/5  rDev +4.7%

Very smooth good with a burger

3.71/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Here goes:

A: Very good. Pours a clear yellow-orange with a great head and lacing. Overall, quite good.

S: Just OK. I prefer the American hops to the British ones, but the latter are still good. Very bitter and somewhat resiny flavor. Lemon and milder citrus flavors.

T: Just OK. Lots of lemon peel. Unlike in other British IPA's and pale ales, however, the malt is somewhat muted. I don't detect the lightly-kilned caramel and amber malts. Somewhat disappointing.

M: Just OK. Very light-bodied.

O: A good beer but I was disappointed at the lack of malt presence. Usually the British pale ales and IPA's have a stronger malt backbone. I taste the British hops in this beer but the malt is sadly not present.

400 Pound Monkey from Left Hand Brewing Company