1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

400 Pound Monkey - Left Hand Brewing Company

400 Pound Monkey400 Pound Monkey

good

Left Hand Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  6.70% ABV

(Beer added by: garcia2a on 09-03-2008)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 400 Pound Monkey Alström Bros

4.08/5  rDev +14.3%

3.4/5  rDev -4.8%

3.5/5  rDev -2%

Appearance: Little head or froth covers a golden liquid. Somewhat like pouring an Old Speckled Hen or other typical English ale.
Smell: Indistinguishable yet floral and buttery.
Mouthfeel: Not overcarbonated, about as dry as the aforementioned English beers would be.
Taste: Immediate hit of hops, dried fruit, vanilla. Further tasting reveals a more bitter and sweet note that lingers. Dare I say, caramel.
Overall: Extremely enjoyable. Not too heavy that the more elegant qualities of its taste are overwhelmed. For a Twisted Thistle fan, this hit the spot.

3.79/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A solid, but not extraordinary beer from Left Hand. One of my favorite breweries, but this beer is not their best.

2.19/5  rDev -38.7%

Date: 8/30/14
Other notes: Picked up as part of a build-your-own 6-pack. Best by date of 8/30/14 (the same day I bought it, as fate would have it)

Appearance - 4/5
Pours a clear golden-orange. A little bit of head rentention. Overall a nice color and a nice look. Seems appetizing.

Smell - 1.5/5
Smells gross to be honest. Maybe salted fish or vinegar? It's hard to define.

Taste - 1.5/5
Taste is not good either. The taste has the same salty-vinegary-ness as the smell. NOT something I want in a beer at all. If I try to not breath through my nose at all while I drink, I taste some sweet maltiness, and some hops. I thought I had tasted bad beer, but this beer tastes nasty.

Mouthfeel - 3/5
Light to medium in body. Fairly crisp. Light to medium carbonation. Honestly it was hard to focus on the mouthfeel because all I could think about was how bad the smell/taste was.

Overall - 1.5/5
Part of me wants to give this beer a higher rating, because it seems like something MUST be wrong with the batch I'm tasting. Or the particular bottle. But as it is, this beer is straight up nasty. In all seriousness, I don't know if I have had a grosser tasting beer before. I am surprised given Left Hand Brewing's reputation.

Weighting: Appearance 15%, Smell 15%, Taste 35%, Mouthfeel 15%, Overall 20%