Fade To Black (Volume 1 - Foreign Export Stout) - Left Hand Brewing Company

Fade To Black (Volume 1 - Foreign Export Stout)Fade To Black (Volume 1 - Foreign Export Stout)

Left Hand Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Foreign / Export Stout |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: superdedooperboy on 11-13-2009)
VFRAZ

jak

12-14-2011 17:59:30 | More by jak
undeadozzy

4.93/5  rDev +20.8%

Got on tap at a local bar. Served in a goblet.

Appearance: Deep, dark black. Some light creeps in from around the corners of the glass, but for the most part it is very dark. Has a thick chocolatey colored head which stays for the entire time.

Smell: Beautiful aroma of coffee, rich smoked hops, and even some hints of chocolate and licorice.

Taste: Absolutely delicious. I personally enjoy many different kinds of stouts, but this is definitely the best I've had in a while. Warm taste of espresso and malt instantly rushed into my mouth and didn't let up until the last drop. The licorice I smelled initially is more of an aftertaste and isn't really part of the initial blast of flavor during drinking.

Mouth Feel: Feels as silky smooth and warm as it tastes. Has a similar thick and creamy texture to many other stouts, but has a similar disposition to rich, dark coffee. A very interesting yet extremely pleasurable experience.

Drinkability: As I mentioned earlier in my review, I love stouts, and as such had 3 goblets of this fine brew before I recieved my meal, a steak burger, which it paired perfectly with. It goes down smooth and its rich dark taste hides its ABV, making it dangerously drinkable and incredibly enjoyable.

03-05-2010 04:48:26 | More by undeadozzy
Cyberkedi

Georgia

4.88/5  rDev +19.6%

Rich, strong, smoky aroma has tones of chocolate, fine coffee and molasses and just a shade of sweetness - very tempting and inviting. It pours an opaque sable that is just a red tomcat whisker above black and has a fairly thick and fine-bubbled light tan head. Flavor is absolutely fabulous - rich and mouth-filling, mainly fine roast coffee, unsweetened chocolate and molasses with a whisper of licorice. Texture is strongly fizzy and tingly, yet smooth and sublime. A must for anybody who loves stouts!

01-10-2010 02:12:59 | More by Cyberkedi
BobbyBeerman

4.83/5  rDev +18.4%

A: Pours a deep dark brown/black that light doesn't penetrate except at the extreme edges. A vigorous pour produced a tan-colored head that faded to a thin layer that produced decent lacing.

S: I get the normal tones for a stout with the addition of a little extra chocolate. Even when cold the major nose was sweet molasses. At temperature a little woodiness comes through along with some coffee.

T: It follows the nose closely. I love the taste!

M: There is a little warming sensation from the alcohol but not a big burn. Just a little oily but it works well. A little lighter bodied than what I'm use to.

D: I would say that I could drink this all night but the alcohol content is what stops me. The alcohol is masked well and this is VERY easy to drink. I love this.

Blessed be the Brew!!

04-10-2014 05:47:49 | More by LXIXME
cdkrenz

Wisconsin

4.68/5  rDev +14.7%

I have had this individual bottle cellared since April 2010. I've kept it at exactly 42.5 degrees F for the 2 years its spent aging.

A - Poured into a sampling snifter it is dark as night with minimal head.

S - The aroma deep dark chocolate and a hint of bitter coffee fill the air with the pour.

T - Black licorice, coffee, burnt malts, smokey middle, and a slightly bitter ending bfore finishing again with burnt coffee. This is a full flavored stout that offers this category an exceptional specimen.

M - The feel is slightly coarse with an almost ribbony feel throughout. Basically the texture is stead from start to finish making for an easy to drink beer while allowing the robust flavor character to come through.

~ What more can I say other than go find yourself one of these retirees if you can. This beer, while aged appropriately has given true value to my cellaring project. I am extremely pleased and would not hesitate to recommend this fine beer to a friend.

05-01-2012 20:27:19 | More by cdkrenz
btorsdog

4.63/5  rDev +13.5%

Got to admit, my son talked me into getting this because the label/packaging was so cool! Any how...
Never had nothing bad from this brewer and the same can still be said, tis is a quality brew throughout!
Beautiful Black is the best way to describe color.
Beer has a semi-sweet smokey type smell to it.
Taste was pure joy,similar to a creamy chocolaty.
Kind of a thick/full mouth(what I had expected)
Went down real nice with a sweet alchol taste to it.
Very Nice Product!

05-16-2010 02:29:15 | More by btorsdog
rabsten

West Virginia

4.63/5  rDev +13.5%

From Ashland Beverage Center.

Pours thickly from a 12oz bottle into a large wine glass - I'd have gone with a tulip but the official photograph shows a glass that looks just like mine (except mine doesn't have that neat etched hand. Gotta get me one of those). Dark black with fine, mocha head. Good, solid lacing.

Aroma is roast malt and plum with a mild ethanol undertone. Good but not great. The weakest link in the overall experience is still a solid four.

Flavor is everything I look for in a bigger stout: roasty, toasted malt, alcohol, well-bittered hoppiness, and something else for variety - here it's a light, fruity sweetness.

Mouthfeel is round on the palate with a dry finish - surprisingly dry considering the aforementioned sweetness. And it's very, very drinkable. I could have several (but I won't).

Overall, one of the better big stouts I've had recently. Just about everything was done right with this. Kudos to Left Hand for this. I have five bottles left and expect to spread them out over the next oh, I dunno, couple of years. Can't wait to see how this ages. Should be fun.

03-21-2010 19:05:23 | More by rabsten
BB1313

4.6/5  rDev +12.7%

Finally decided to review this one, w/ the recent release of Volume 2. I've been impressed w/ this one since my first sip last year. I really had no expectations, but wow was I wowed! Pours a beautiful dark black w/ brown hues; fluffy head w/ nice sticky lacing. Smells amazing, w/ scents of expresso, coffee, chocolate, vanilla, and faint hops. The taste matches w/ bursts of flavor. Coffee is very prevelant, slightly burnt w/ strong roasty characteristics. Smooth on the palate, carbonation is just about perfect, which makes for good drinkability.

This was probably my biggest surprise of 2009. I'm very glad I saved a bottle.. now on to Volume 2.. but I really hope I haven't seen the last of Volume 1. Amazing beer, highly recommended.

12-27-2010 21:38:17 | More by BB1313
phisig137

4.6/5  rDev +12.7%

A- Pours a deep inky black, that lets a bit of brown/ruby light in around the edges. One finger head is dense and has decent staying power, with a lasting cap of bubbles on top of the glass.

S- Char, toasted malts, roasted malts, hints of smoke and raw wood, coffee. Well rounded.

F- Extraordinary mix of roasted, toasted, and crystal malts. Light caramel flavors, backed by huge nutty overtones (hazelnut?), and suggestions of coffee and extra dark chocolate. Never does it taste over roasted, or acrid in any way. Mid way through, a touch of tartness pops in mixing with the toasted malts... likely from the wheat used here. The mild tartness is much appreciated here. Perhaps a touch of smoke way in the back. Very dry finish that lingers for some time, begging for another sip. Exceptionally well balanced.

M- Luxuriously silky, full and smooth, without being heavy or cloying. Exceptional.

D- Very, very good. It drinks as if it is far lower than 8.5%.

Overall, outstanding. Most Left Hand beers are better than average, but this stands out among them. It is nice to see a craft brewer making an excellent traditional interpretation of a style, instead of making it "extreme", double, imperial, or whatever. This beer shows exceptional craftsmanship, restraint, skill, and balance that is rarely seen all at the same time. This is what I always hoped Guinness Foreign Export would taste like... similar to the draft, but with flavor, body, and soul.

This one is worth seeking out, and buying a lot of. I may have found a new favorite for the time being. Now go find some!

12-18-2009 02:41:52 | More by phisig137
Katahdin

4.58/5  rDev +12.3%

Beer pours a very rich dark color with a nice tannish head. Initial aroma is off roasted malts and a toffee type smell that tells you it is a big beer. Taste is full of the roasted malts and coffee and toffee coming through with a hint perhaps of molasses. An aftertaste of dried fruit and a touch of vanilla lingers after it goes down and gives a pleasant warming sensation. The beer is very smooth in drinkability, cannot taste the alcohol at all.

02-04-2010 14:49:36 | More by Katahdin
DenverLogan

Colorado

4.58/5  rDev +12.3%

Mmmmm...drinking it now, from a growler a week old from the brewery. Beautiful color and brown bubble clusters hanging to the side of my glass...granted, not that cool Left Hand glass in the photo, but a nice Cheeky Monk Belgian style glass. Nice swirling head...with a beer tasty enough, just looking at the bubbles can be fascinating. There's a lot in the aroma and taste, from coffee to light tobacco, chocolate, espresso, dark roasted malts, bitter chocolate, yada yada... I first had this at a place called Jonesys in Denver...a neighborhood semi-fancy food drink joint with creative offerings. They have a modest but cool selection of brews, and this I hadn't had yet. I wanted a second but I was the DD with a long haul to the DenVUH suburbs....uh...have I run out of room left? How much ranting can I do?!! This is no wimpy brew...chocolate, liquroice, dark roasted malts, some bite, beautifully dark color and lovely rich aroma and taste for the big beer hunters of the world...lovely.

02-09-2010 04:05:16 | More by DenverLogan
klewis

4.58/5  rDev +12.3%

A: Pours nearly black with a small foamy head. Light lacing.

S: Roasted aromas with mocha, vanilla, and anise.

T: Burnt oak, dark chocolate, and anise in a well-balanced and complex taste. Lots going on with no alcohol presence.

M: Medium-full bodied with moderate carbonation. A lingering burnt character.

D: An awesome foreign export stout. Solid in every category and a great example of the style.

11-24-2009 02:16:25 | More by klewis
mwa423

4.58/5  rDev +12.3%

A - Pours black as night. You can't see light through it at all. There is a small amount of head which dies down to an exceptionally sticky

S - Rich malt and coffee flavors that fill the nose with a bit of caramel.

T - Very rich and think dark bittter and coffee flavors with sweet malt aftertaste A fantastic stout that I wish I would have bought sooner

M/D - Mouthfeel is thick but perfect. This is about the most drinkable 8.5% beer I have ever had.

This is by far the best left hand beer I have ever had.

11-30-2009 02:57:33 | More by mwa423
BigBigPickle

4.55/5  rDev +11.5%

12 oz. to Tulip

A: Small, toasty brown head with limited staying power. Pours ink black.

S: Toasty Malt at first. Warm spices second. Dark fruits as it settles into the nose.

T: Smokey and Bitter malt. Peat. Coffee hits a few seconds after first stip. Coffee Liqueur is there as well. Finally, I think it combines to a chocolate covered espresso bean. This is fantastic.

M: Surprisingly, the mouthfeel is lacking a bit. The coffee stays around which is neat but this is the only weak point of this for me.

D: I was a bit surprised at first, what with the smoke/peat. But after one, I couldn't wait to have another. This is great stuff.

01-04-2010 00:05:55 | More by BigBigPickle
AboutBeverages

Arizona

4.55/5  rDev +11.5%

Brown/black in color with a medium body. Awesome aromas of coffee, waffle cone, and bakers chocolate. It starts out subtle and smooth on the palate and then delivers in a big way on the promise of the aroma with an explosion of flavor on the finish. Overall an excellent beer I wish was available year round.

04-14-2010 03:07:49 | More by AboutBeverages
wolfinthemirror

Oklahoma

4.53/5  rDev +11%

Poured into a tulip glass, pretty much completely jet black with a very fine mocha colored head, which quickly dissipated into a ring around the edge of the glass. It looks as if it will be a quite viscous, full-bodied beer. not much lacing, other than the transparent film of alcohol left sliding down the sides of the glass with every agitation of the beer.

Immediately upon putting my nose to the glass, I get a strong fragrance of a freshly poured, dark roast coffee. There is a sweetness to it and hints of caramel.

Dark roasted malts and a very dark bitter chocolate seems to be the dominate flavors in the taste of this beer. there is a subtle familiarity of coffee, but not as much as it hints at in the nose. there is a pleasant chalkiness towards the end of each sip. The complexity of the taste really reveals itself as the beer warms.

The apperance of the beer really fooled me regarding how I imagined the beer to feel in my mouth. It was medium bodied, but had the appearance of something full-bodied and chewy.

Overall it was a very good beer, and I gotta say, i'm a fan of the label.

03-18-2010 04:45:19 | More by wolfinthemirror
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

The neck label reads Volume 1 I guess the seasonal will vary by style with the same name each year that daylight savings comes around. Pours completely opaque black with no light making it through not even the ruby highlights, head is creamy textured nice tan khaki hue going on. Lacing left behind is sporadiac with big chunks but definitely clings well to the sides of my chalice. Aroma is strong with the herbal mint like hop profile, dark roasted malts bring out a creamy dark chocolate bitterness strong roasted burnt coffee a nice underlying fruit note with a soft caramel presence as well. Flavor is big roasted malt presence brings out espresso bean hints of vanilla, caramel malt, with dark chocolate cocoa nibs. A soothing alcohol finish with herbal and mint toned hop flavors. Mouthfeel is creamy textured full bodied softly carbonated no complaints I let this one warm up a good bit and I'm glad that I did. Drinkability is smooth and the price tag is right what a value, a big foreign export stout for 1.69 a bottle I will be back for more of this stuff, what a god send for this time of year thanks to Left Hand out in Longmont, CO.

12-14-2009 06:06:45 | More by WVbeergeek
theminutemen

Missouri

04-22-2012 18:34:11 | More by theminutemen
Beejay

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

A: Pours a brown molasses color. In the glass it is a very dark brownish/ black, with just the smallest hint of Ruby red at the edges where a little light seeps through. Nice fluffy tan head..

S: Malty with a huge molasses and burnt brown sugar scent. Chocolate and possibly even oak. As it warms I pick up more chocolate and a hint of coffee.

T: Sweet at first with a little chocolate. Then burnt Brown sugar and the end is burnt oak character and a little bite from the alcohol. All in all I think it is pretty damn fantastic. Taste follows scent in that as it warms I pick up more coffee flavors.

M: Fairly thin for a stout this big, but still smooth and the carbonation is appropriate.

D: I am very happy I have the rest of a 6 pack in the fridge. There is a bit of an alcohol taste to it, but it is fairly well hidden, the malt flavors are big, sweet, and beautiful, plus they are complemented by a nice roasted character.

11-19-2009 03:16:28 | More by Beejay