Fade To Black (Volume 2 - Smoked Baltic Porter) - Left Hand Brewing Company

Fade To Black (Volume 2 - Smoked Baltic Porter)Fade To Black (Volume 2 - Smoked Baltic Porter)

Left Hand Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Baltic Porter |  7.80% ABV

(Beer added by: Rayek on 11-15-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fade To Black (Volume 2 - Smoked Baltic Porter) Alström Bros

spoonhawk, Nov 23, 2011
2.83/5  rDev -29.8%

Bought in haste at Freeman's
Assumed I was buying the F.E.S.
but I just didnt look at the bottle.
12 oz -> Leinenkugel pint

A ~ Molasses with a coffee like hue to it. Tan Head that fizzles down. Solid lacing.

S ~ Black coffee, brown sugar, leather, with a light hickory scent.

T ~ Burnt oak and Espresso on the forefront. Roasted malt slathered in Shoyu (soy sauce) follows. Bit of smokey dark chocolate on the end.

M ~ ABV on the back of the throat that doesn't quit which isn't that bad, but combined with that dang soy sauce flavor practically coats all ends of the mouth halfway through the brew.

D ~ you know, I think I just don't like baltic porters... This one didn't wow me either. Almost a drain pour. Not Left Hand's best. Need to get the F.E.S!!!

chocosushi, Jun 23, 2011
2.93/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle, bottled about 2 weeks ago.

It pours a nice dark brownish black with a cascading burnt tan head. The head recedes quickly to globs of lacing.

The smell has root beer, dark fruits, sugar, buttery malts, metal, and some chocolate. No smoke what so ever, is it a joke?

The flavor is a bit more believable. It is fruity and roasty. Still not smokey at all but at least there is a roasted flavor. I think they made a bad decision when they used a Baltic porter rather than an English, or American porter.

crossovert, Feb 10, 2011

iemailjack, Jan 08, 2013

JMS1512, Mar 29, 2013

DBIII, Dec 27, 2011

SaintJonah, Nov 16, 2011

facundoCNB, Mar 06, 2012

thearsenal, Nov 18, 2011
3.05/5  rDev -24.3%

I'm not a big fan of porters and usually don't get them unless there aren't many other decent options, but this just caught my eye. I guess their marketing gurus said hey let's make a label that Shawn can't stop looking at. OK Left Hand, it worked, you got me. But not completely, I only bought one. I'm not used to drinking porters, so I really can't give a fair judgement. I think i need to drink more of them for a good reference. About all I can say is it was good and I drank it.

morenone, Feb 16, 2011
3.08/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

01/27/11- Had this one on-tap at Dirty Franks in Columbus.
Honestly, I realized that this tasted different than last year... but not because it was an entirely different style. Good to know that I'm not crazy.
A: Black with yellow hues, sparse film and collar but good lacing.
S: Strong banana, caramel, roast that is almost bacon but more campfire, slightly earthy hops... almost like a smore.
T: Caramel, strong pork roast, bananas, slight rum, chocolate. Not very good.
M: Almost crisp frothy mouthfeel.
D: Good.

I'm not a big fan of smoked beers, but this one was tolerable.

ne0m00re, Jan 29, 2011
3.08/5  rDev -23.6%

a: This had a black body and it poured with a short lived light tan head.

s: Light smoke and some roasty porter twang.

m: Thin and kind of muddled overall. Vaguely smokey with hints of chocolate and sour coffee.

m: Lightly carbonated and a bit watery.

o: I loved volume 1 but I was let down by volume 2.

DIM, Oct 08, 2011
3.15/5  rDev -21.8%

A - Poured into a pint glass nice and black with a pretty head and lacing.

S - Malty & smoky

T - Smoky, but not overwhelming - it's no rauchbier; slightly acidic aftertaste

M - Creamy, bubblier than other porters I've had

D - Not very boozy going down, but don't know if I'd go for more; maybe Baltics ain't my thang

Awesome label -- one of my favorites that I've seen out there.

vapodge, Jan 26, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -19.4%

sendbeer, Nov 18, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -19.4%

westcoastbeerlvr, Oct 12, 2013
3.26/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

a-Dark brown/black
s- don’t remember…but nothing remarkable
t- roastiness followed by a light smokiness. Earthy hops. I think I had this brew a couple of years back and remember it to be just a bit more smoky (to my liking) than this.
m- medium
o – eh, not bad, but nothing remarkable.

Brianofthemarsh, Dec 09, 2013
3.3/5  rDev -18.1%

A - Pours with a pitch black body and a thin, brown head...the head doesn't stick around for long and falls to a patch in the middle with a strong bead...some lacing clung around

S - There is a lot of roasted malt in the aroma as well as chocolate...I'm also picking up a sweetness from some vanilla...the thing I can detect the most is a strange lactic aroma

T - The sweetness actually comes out up front...that lactic flavor is there adding to the sweetness, but it's mostly vanilla doing its thing...the roastiness is throughout the entire beer...it coats your palate...some dark fruits are creeping in towards the back end just adding another dimension...the malts turn smoked in the finish

M - Medium bodied...comes up thin sometimes but is smooth...a combination of roasty and smokey

O - The whole lactic presence in the nose really through me off...I got past it in the body because it wasn't as prevalent...if it wasn't for that flavor I think this would have been a decent beer...Volume 1 is my favorite so far in the series

thain709, Sep 20, 2011
3.35/5  rDev -16.9%

Tried this one on tap a week or so ago at Liquids and Solids, was unimpressed, so I picked up a couple of bottles earlier this week. After trying one, I still find it lacking. Poured a beautiful garnet color, with a creamy light brown head. Very smoky aroma, alomst burnt, like a campfire. On the palate, more of the same; overwhelming smoke, along with a little roasted malt and dark chocolate. Too much smoke for my tastes.

emmasdad, Dec 19, 2010
3.4/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pitch black colored beer with a rapidly fading head.Aroma is smoky malts.Taste is smoky malts and chocolate.The smokiness prevents this from being smooth in any way although the alcohol is well hidden.I would recommend to try this at least once and as for me even though it was decent one was enough.

matty, Dec 20, 2010
3.4/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Glad to see a bottle of this still on the shelf at my local haunt, as I missed it when it first came out. 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours a dark black with absolutely no head at all. Not even the slightest bit of lace on the edge. Suspicious. I've seen more foam on a Coke. Light smoky aromas in the nose, roasted meats, sweet malts. The body is a touch thin. I'd prefer a bit more heft. A nice smoky flavor wraps this beer up nicely. Faint chocolate in there, but the char and smoke qualities win out. Slightest sweet kiss on the finish. Not bad.

Onenote81, Dec 12, 2011
3.4/5  rDev -15.6%

Appearance: Pours thick and black looking with a small head of tan bubbles after a pretty aggressive pour. The head faded while I was typing my notes, so it was gone within 20 seconds or so. The beer looks a bit like coffee sitting in my glass with no foam or anything.

Aroma: OK, now the aroma is stepping up a bit. I can definitely get the roasty notes you expect from a Porter with the coffee, dark cocoa, burnt toffee, etc. The smoke is definitely there and is becoming much more noticeable as the beer sits some and warms up. There are some hops noticeable in here too, but they are mostly floral...they too get more noticeable as the beer warms up.

Taste: The flavor has some strong coffee notes along with the smoke, but overall the flavor is coming across with a coffee balance to it. I am also getting dark cocoa and chocolate along with a spiciness that I believe is both from the hops as well as the alcohol, but they are playing pretty nice together. There is some bitterness, but the beer finishes with the balance toward the malt. This is a good thing as all of the dark grains are rather acidic on the palate, so they are contributing their own challenge to any sweetness left to linger. The beer is medium bodied with low carbonation. The alcohol lightens things up some, but with the lack of carbonation, you don't really notice the part of the profile between the initial flavor and the finish. The middle is missing, how odd...

Opinion: Well, this is an OK beer, but unfortunately it fell short from what I would call an "outstanding" beer for this style. I guess the fact that it is a baltic porter makes it fit in a bit more, but it still doesn't really seem to showcase either one flavor or the overall blend of flavors. The way this beer is, it has some really assertive notes and not a lot of backbone to back those up, so they end up out of balance and hanging on your palate waiting for something. Even a while after my sip, when I swallow I can pick up the coffee and cocoa. This beer is really bold in ways. I just wish it was a little more balanced.

SkeeterHawk, Jan 31, 2011
3.43/5  rDev -14.9%

12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance-Jet black and SO opaque-no light's getting through this one. Moderately large tan head with moderate retention and some lacing.

Aroma-Smoke, bacon, and chocolate take the forefront here, with slight coffee as well. Hints of sweet caramel and dark fruit are also present, though are very light.

Flavor-Nice smoky flavor-not so strong as to overpower the other flavors, but definitely present. Slight dark fruit flavors give way to roasted notes of chocolate, and eventually coffee grounds. Hop flavor and bitterness are low, and the hint of sweetness up front is balanced by the roast. There's something oddly vegetal about the aftertaste that I can't quite put my finger on-it doesn't overwhelm the other flavors, but it keeps this from being an excellent beer.

Mouthfeel-Medium full body, medium carbonation. Very slight alcohol warmth. No astringency.

Decently drinkable, but the flavor falls a bit short in my opinion. Certainly a good beer, but not a great beer. Something about the strange/off-flavors i pick up in the aftertaste just turns me off a bit.

plfahey, Feb 14, 2011
3.43/5  rDev -14.9%

Bottle into A & W pint glass (I know...) in high altitude Denver, CO in December 2010.

A: 2 finger, creamy head. Dark black colour.

Sm: Light but nice scent of roasted barley and some hops. Appealing.

T: Balanced body, with strange notes. Can't place them all; they're obscured by the smoke. They're balanced in that no particularly note is pronounced over the others, and the beer is built quite well. I rather fancy it.

Mf: Adequately coarse and dry for a porter.

Dr: I'd have it again at the right price.

kojevergas, Feb 24, 2011
3.45/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle, bottled on 11/10/10. Pours a dark brown black with a medium cream light brown head that slowly goes to a thin film that laces the glass.

The aroma is subdued - a little charred chocolate and liquid smoke.

The flavor is sweet lactic chocolate with some smoke and a weird plasticky hot (almost peppery) bitterness in the finish. There is some warming alcohol present. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, it's got some weird notes to it, but it kind of grew on me as I drank it.

Beaver13, Jan 13, 2011
3.48/5  rDev -13.6%

This beer got better with time. At first drink, it was a bit too poignant on the top end for me, but as it progressed, and the VERY evident smokey end notes came through, this beer became a winner in my book. It isn't a beer that I could drink a lot of at one time, but it was very enjoyable, and I would most definitely recommend.

charlesmcd, Dec 13, 2010