2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

TNT - Left Hand Brewing Company

Hazy Black Walnut, 21 SRM
ABV 7.90%
IBU 20
Malted Wheat, Premium 2-row, Munich and Chocolate WheatWarrior and Perle

"Brewed with Lapsang Souchong tea, a noted 'smoky' tea."

(Beer added by: obireidkenobi on 03-16-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 112 | Reviews: 75 | Show All Ratings:
Jadjunk

Georgia

3.35/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

"See me blow out of your teapot. I'm from theChinese era Qing. Big batch of bad-ass brew, I will make you sing. Women on the left of me, men on my right. Ain't got no corn, ain't got no rice. I'm just malty nice. Cause I'm TNT. Sometimes you're not in the mood for what everyone else is having." TNT is brewed in the style of a German Weizen Doppelbock and has been infused with Lapchang Souchong tea.

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle to a pint glass. Served above 54º Fahrenheit.

(Appearance) Pours a moderate pale brown head of a crisp, frothy consistency. Body color is a dense, opaque dark brown. Retention is below average and there is no lacing. 3

(Smell) Unique sour, smokey and herbaceous aroma along with funky grape, plum and pungent tea leaves. I haven't quite smelled anything like this, and can't make out whether the aromas are intentional or a product of infection. Potency is high and sharp. 3.25

(Taste) The malt profile is simple and under sweet , with some pale and dry wheat malt plus a pinch of grain caramel for a touch of body. Some meaty smokiness joins a berry spice tea herbal flavor for a very interesting spin on the flavor. Overall it isn't easy to make this out as a doppelbock on anything other than the name itself. Expect the unexpected. 3.5

(Mouthfeel) Texture is slick, oily and thin. Carbonation adds some rough crispness to the mouthfeel. Body is medium for the style, medium+ overall. Alcohol presence is low-medium. 3.25

(Overall) Style purists will not find TNT to their liking, considering how uniquely different this beer is from most beers in general. It hardly carries the markings of a doppelbock or a weizen, and the gruff BBQ smoke and fruity herbal notes of the tea come out as the dominant notes in this beer. Combined with a less-than-stellar appearance and a buzzy mouthfeel, I don't expect a lot of love for this beer, and am myself fairly unimpressed. 3.25

Left Hand Brewing Company's
TNT Weizen Doppelbock
3.35/5.00

04-01-2014 02:29:52 | More by Jadjunk
StonedTrippin

Colorado

2.84/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

I know left hand just won a bunch of medals today at gabf, but this is not their strongest effort. 2011 vintage, looks cloudy, red/brown, and mostly flat, with that wheat malt lace we are all familiar with. my girlfriend thinks it smells like slim jim. I am thinking it smells like slightly higher quality cured meat, but smoky, salty, and fleshy for sure. now that I think of it, it smells a lot like the cured beef I ate in bosnia all summer last year. nothing about this tells me its beer. the flavor is also particularly wholesome, protein is evident here, salty again too. really just downright meaty, I don't get anything as far as malt or hops or yeast, maybe some lazy lager yeast on the back end, and some alcohol, but this is a miss on just about all counts. I don't dislike it, but the flavor is a far cry from the style guidelines, and it just really doesn't work for me. fall notes, but that's too little too late that its seasonally appropriate, this is a mess all over the place. so many left hand bombers have been, but I appreciate the spirit of experimentation that courses through most of them. skip this, if its even still around...

10-12-2013 23:55:53 | More by StonedTrippin
tjmodica

3.58/5  rDev +10.2%

Nailed the color. Small amount of lace and a very thin beige head present with an aggressive pour. Smell is where this shines for me, Smoke smoke smoke, this is a rauchbier. Their is also a black tea and soy sauce smell integrated nicely with the strong smokiness. Taste is soy sauce, moderate smoke, mild sweetness, and light black tea flavors, nice. This was a unique yet well executed project by lefthand and the age has helped this beer.

07-13-2013 00:36:14 | More by tjmodica
DirtyPenny

2.21/5  rDev -32%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

I wanted something strong, and a lot of it, after a long day at work. Grabbed this out of the fridge and I love weizens and I love bocks but...

Visually there's nothing wrong with this one. Sort of a soy sauce or dark, deep wood finish look, but with a bunch of odd floaties that, personally, are a turn off. Pours with a hefty brown seafoam head. Smells... weird. A previous review mentioned a "carbonic tang" and that sounds appropriate. There's an odd fermented vegetation scent to it with a side of soy.

Wait, this thing is made with tea? Oh come on, why mess with a perfectly good thing like a weizenbock?

Taste is pretty much the same as the nose. Very pungent and smoky with a sort of acidy taste and aftertaste and an oily texture.

Bleah. First Left Hand beer I've had at home, and only the second I've ever tasted. I tried their milk stout at the ACBF in Boston last year and enjoyed it, so i know they're capable of good stuff. Best go back to the drawing board with this one guys.

03-20-2013 00:35:21 | More by DirtyPenny
drpimento

Wisconsin

2.55/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Maybe I got a bad bottle. Poured at a good temperature with no head or lace. Color is a very dark, clear, brown red. Aroma is roast, smoke, tea, malt. Flavor's like nose, carbonic tang is up front, followed by smokey sweet, and some tart, followed by some bitter in the finish. Body is ok, carbonation is a bit fizzy. Finish is like flavor, long in the smoke, and not that good. I'm dumping the rest.

07-12-2012 00:58:14 | More by drpimento
Mora2000

3.15/5  rDev -3.1%

The beer pours a dark brown color with an off-white head. The aroma has a lot of meaty smoke in it as well as some wheat notes. The flavor is also very meaty tasting, with some banana and clove notes mixed in. I also get some wheat, as well as some ash and charcoal. Full bodied with medium carbonation. Not bad, but I wish the smoke was turned down a bit and the weizenbock notes were more prevalent.

07-07-2012 03:45:35 | More by Mora2000
Fatehunter

Oregon

3.3/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured into a tulip glass. Dark brown and bubbly. The head was a bunch of bubbles that only formed into a head for a few seconds.

Smells like smoke, lots of it. Exactly like a raunchier. There is also the smell of black olives.

It tastes smokey too. Also roasted malt and bacon.

Lots of carbonation, light body and stickiness to the texture.

I like the smokey smell and taste, but the other tastes and texture are just not fitting together for me. Worth trying if only for its uniqueness.

02-26-2012 00:43:23 | More by Fatehunter
McNealc31

3.35/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours a rich, deep brown. Nose is a mix of tobacco, smoke, and cherries. Leather and smoke dominate the flavor. Cherries make an appearance, and the tea comes in late. There is a dry and bitter finish that I would associate with overdone unsweetened iced tea.

As I'm getting into it more and it warms, the smoke and leather are becoming more tame and the bad iced tea flavor is going away. More dark fruit flavors are coming out. And a hint of bacon.

I can't say I love this, and I can't say I hate it. But it's different and worth trying

01-27-2012 01:13:28 | More by McNealc31
mactrail

2.6/5  rDev -20%

Looks nice enough in the glass with the reddish mahogany color. Seems very sweet for first few sips. If there is some malt flavor, it's lost in the mayhem. Lapsang Souchong is smoked with pine wood, which give a campfire or house burning down flavor that is not at all pleasant in beer. Aroma is peculiar but interesting with some bacon and tar. Endless aftertaste of Lil' Smokies, even with the greasy mouthfeel.

My other beverage interest is tea, and I find the Lapsang Souchong flavor too strong even in tea. And adding it to beer, the intense flavor just sticks out. I'm a big fan of weirdness in beer ingredients, but not when they're dosed with a heavy hand.

12-19-2011 04:13:14 | More by mactrail
TheSarge

2.85/5  rDev -12.3%

Poured this one into an Aventinus glass.

Even with a vigorous pour, this brew only makes a finger thick light tan head. The body is brown and pretty thick with residual yeast.

The aroma is smoky sweet with a hint of over ripe banana and clove.

The taste is totally rauch. Not what I expect in a weizenbock. There is a hint of sweetness, but I can't quite peg down what it reminds me of.

Feels full in body, a little chewy, and a little oily.

12-17-2011 23:36:06 | More by TheSarge
RedneckBeerz

2.78/5  rDev -14.5%

This is my 1st chance to try a Left Hand brew (following up after a disapponting 10° below).

Poured into a washed out Guinness pint, this brew pours a dark brown with red hinted color and a small tan head with a slippery lacing.

The dark grains come forward on smell as well as errr smokey tea I suppose, Not that much experience with tea, except for sweet tea and thats definately not the aroma.

The flavor is a kick in the butt for me. The first thing that comes to mind FOR ME on 1st taste is smoked oysters, the following sips confirm my original taste. I'm hanging in there because I like smoked oysters, but I'd rather eat them with crackers and hot sauce than drink them.

In my opinion, way out of the Weizentbock box.

By about the 6th sip the smoked oysters are slowly being replaced by some barley and minor wheat. Smokiness is still prevelant in the throat. After about 8 - 10 sips I was determined to soldier on through this, but I've raised the white flag and surrender this into the depths of my sink. I'm starting to feel like I just ate a can of bad smoked oysters.

For me, a C brew, and that's being more than generous

12-12-2011 22:49:19 | More by RedneckBeerz
jlindros

3.45/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours a dark murky black tea looking stuff, with pretty much no light getting through, with a fizzy darker head that fades pretty quickly.

Nose brings a definite smoked aroma, some smoke cheese like with a bit of a smoke wood like aroma, a faint black tea aroma in the background as well that's more like background radiation of tea than a dominant aroma, light caramel and molasses, some bock like malts and a faint chewy brown malt.

Taste comes on following right with the nose, bringing smoke at first, a slight smoked cheese and light hickory and some campfire even. The smoke brings a slight bitterness and almost acidity, as well as a faint acrid burnt flavor. Then comes the light black tea, and earthy tannic like tea flavor that's not too strong, but more dominant than the aroma I think. Malts play a background role in this one, with a bit of caramel and molasses, then some dark wheat like bock flavors, and a bit of dark fruits. There is a light smoked jerky like flavor too that comes and goes. Finish is drier, with more smoked flavors, light campfire, sticky sweet like malt flavors, a bit syrupy at this point as well, and some light bitterness and tannins.

Mouth is a bit heavier bodied, some booze warmth comes out on the finish, with decent carbonation.

Overall interesting to try, but not one I would probably buy again. It has some interesting flavors, nice tea like and the smoke starts nice but gets a bit overwhelming. The biggest problem with the beer is that the beer itself, malts etc, play a background role in this beer. It's more about the smoke and tea than weizen-doppelbock at all, for which the flavors are very subtle and hard to get to behind the heavy smoke and tea. I like the idea, but please tone those components down a bit and try again. The tannins start to get a bit heavy and combine with the smoked, char, and bitterness to bring a slightly unpleasant feel as well.

11-27-2011 18:27:07 | More by jlindros
osusullins

2.88/5  rDev -11.4%

This is a weird beer for me. I can't tell if I like it or hate it.

Pours a dark brown with dark amber edges.

Smells strong of bacon and smoke.

Tastes like a bacon milkshake. The smoke flavors are powerful. I do not exaggerate when I say it tastes like smokey bacon. It is interesting, strange, good and bad all at the same time. The first few sips are very good, but by the time I got to the last of my glass (8oz serving) I just wanted to get the taste out of my mouth. Medium body. Taste lingers.

This beer really brings out the smoke when paired with smoked meats.

11-03-2011 03:04:16 | More by osusullins
langm12

Indiana

3.78/5  rDev +16.3%

Poured from a 22 ounce bomber into a pint glass.

A - Dark almost black brown. 1 1/2 finger tan head. Fairly good retention. Very good lacing.

S - Smoke, BBQ, peat, leather

T - If you could drink smoke it would take like this. Malty sweetness comes in once the smoke flavor subsides. A bit of fruit (apricot maybe?) and a good scotchy peat flavor. The tea comes through at the very end.

M - Medium mouth feel with more carbonation than I was expecting.

This is a wild beer. Definitely worth trying once. don't know if I would go back for another round.

10-21-2011 03:47:56 | More by langm12
beermaker1

3.98/5  rDev +22.5%

appearance - dark tree bark brown, minor head from tap pour. Fine bubbles and lacey.

smell - slightly smoked bbq, reminded me of texas grilling, bitter end coming from black tea. I love a good black tea.

Aroma- Wow, smell the black tea and sweet licorice, leather BBQ.

taste - A whole lot of bbq and very sweet, black tea just makes it even better, I had this on tap at the Breweery in Colorado during GABF. Loved it.

mouthfeel - lighter body then you would expect for a dark rich beer. Very drinkable.

Overall- I really liked this on tap. I would like to try it on a nitro tap. This was a fresh batch just on tap, so it was crisp and clean. I bought 2 bottles to bring home and cellar. 1 in 6 months and 1 in a year.

10-05-2011 02:41:05 | More by beermaker1
kylehay2004

3.85/5  rDev +18.5%

A: single finger off white thick head. Very murky brow with gray hues.

S: mesquite aroma. Smells like pulled pork honestly.

T: more bbq in the taste with caramel. Some apple and apricot notes as well.

M: moderate carbonation and medium body.

Overall: I liked this one more than I thought I would as I watched it fill my glass and begin to fill the air with the aroma of a backyard bbq. Not an everyday beer obviously but a must try.

10-02-2011 06:31:47 | More by kylehay2004
StaveHooks

Oklahoma

3.28/5  rDev +0.9%

A - Dark brown almost black body with 2 fingers of fluffy tan head.
Head vanishes.

S - Toasted leather, dark malts, smoked peat, sorghum, liquid smoke, iron minerals, strange herb perfume aroma, hickory wood chips.

T - Watered down liquid smoke, roasted malts, toasted sugars, unknown fruit character barely sneaks out among the savory smoked meat flavor. Hints of cocoa and muted coffee bean. Finishes sweet with slight hop bitterness.

M - Medium body, moderate carbonation.

Interesting twist on the style. The smoke character is bold, and has a good amount of sweetness to balance. I only noticed the black tea on the aftertaste. Try it for something different.

09-30-2011 22:29:44 | More by StaveHooks
ccrida

Oregon

2.58/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Phenolic, peaty smoke, and a dripping spoonful of diacetyl. I'm sorry, but I've wasted enough time on Left Hand brews to give them an in-depth review. I haven't had one in several years, and see they are still really poorly made. The body is kind of watery in spite of the jarring flavors, and the finish vapid. Fail.

09-16-2011 02:43:28 | More by ccrida
TheWhiskerReview

Tennessee

3.7/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a muddy brownish-black with a 1-finger off tan head. Solid layer of retention throughout most of the brew. Lacing is mild.

The nose offers a first wiff of that intensely smoky Lapsang Souchong tea. It's starting to approach a Rauch in character but just not quite. It smells mostly to me like a big dose of hickory BBQ smoke. Underneath that lies the malty-sweet character of the Doppelbock- more aromas of fresh apples, sorghum, sweet prune, dark bread and maybe even a little currant. There's a odd sort of banana note, like you took a black-spotted overripe banana and then tried to caramelize the mush on the stovetop. I know you use bananas that ripe for making banana bread but here it's just a little strange. Not sure if it's from the brew itself or if that is the beer showing its first age spot. But overall, freshness is not in question here.

The palate is medium bodied and malty sweet, with a moderate carbonation and a bit of mid-tongue tannin from the tea no doubt- flavors of rich pear fruit, smoky cinnamon, raisin, dark bread, chocolate and again with that off banana note. The finish is a tad thin, but dry and very mouthwatering with tea-influenced herbal flavors.

I can very easily see how some people here could hate this. On one hand, it's kinda like an inbred cousin of a Rauchbier. But personally, although the flavor combination is weird, I kinda dig it. But I have a great appreciation for out-of-the-box thinking. This probably isn't something I'll buy again, but I'm also not a huge fan of malty lager styles to begin with. But if this sounds intriguing to you, I'd recommend trying it once for sure.

09-01-2011 18:34:57 | More by TheWhiskerReview
AmbsterSchrier

3.9/5  rDev +20%

02/16/2011 Bottle Date
(aged for about 6 months in our basement refrigerator at 40 deg)

I was really intrigued by the "out of the box" use of Lapsang Souchong tea leaves in a Weizen Dopplebock/Rachbier style. It's unconventionality appealed so we picked it up.

A--Murky deep brown, about zero clarity (probably the wheat I'd imagine), slight milky brown, fizzy head that dissipates quickly.
S--The tea gives it a smokey woody smell, a bit of tart fruit and then sweetness from the grain. Definitely detect some malty notes in the nose.
T--Sweeter and maltier on the front, finishes like a dark, bitter tea followed by a slightly fermented briny flavor that is reminiscent of the after-taste of miso soup followed by a sip of black tea. Smooth, drinkable and intriguing.
M--Medium body, slightly dry feel (again, I attribute this to the tea) more of one to sip on. Worthwhile if you enjoy novelty, appreciate a smokey beer or good strong cup of tea.

Serving type: bottle poured into pint glass

08-22-2011 04:52:37 | More by AmbsterSchrier
FLBeerGal

1.8/5  rDev -44.6%

Had this beer from a 22 oz bomber bottle. I was excited to try this beer because of the smokey element. Poured into a pint glass. Right away the smell hits you in the face. Leather, smoke, burnt tar. Not a good combination. The taste was overwhelming fake Liquid Smoke to me. I couldn't get passed the leather, burnt soy sauce, fake liquid smoke taste of this beer. I dumped it, and I can count on one hand how many times I've dumped a beer. Not. Good.

07-28-2011 18:42:13 | More by FLBeerGal
smokeypeat

Maryland

2.65/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Always looking for something with smokey accents so I was happy to find this on the shelves. Poured into a pint glass, the color is a deep dark brown, looks like bog water. Initially presents with a deep beige head but that quickly faded leaving just a light film on top. Smell is hard to pin down. Definitely some smoke, with a hint of soy sauce, and tea leaves. On tasting this beer my taste buds were just as confused as my nose had been. The smokey flavor is just off. Rather than getting that great smoke campfire quality that elicits fond memories of camping with friends/family, I get a smoke quality of cheap cigar ash that has been left out a long time. Their is a soy sauce thing in the taste as well, but its like it had been left in the sauce pan and got burnt. The tea aspects on this beer create this background flavor that seems like dark fruit that is past its time. The mouthfeel doesn't help because the carbonation seems low, making this a thicker mess to have to get down. Overall I was really disappointed in this beer. I know Left Hand can make a good beer with smokey elements because I really enjoyed their Fade to Black vol 2 porter. This one just didn't work.

07-28-2011 14:59:54 | More by smokeypeat
zaphodchak

3.95/5  rDev +21.5%

Left hand TNT

Poured from a bomber into an Aventinus glass. An aggressive pour yields a 1.5 finger beige head atop a very deep chocolatey body.

Smells like chocolate and smoke (specifically lapsang souchong).

Wos, this taste is odd. It's full-bodied, tart, and savory-smoky. How something could be both smoky and sour is mysterious, but considering it's made with lapsang souchong (a very, very smoky tea), it makes sense. Plenty of rich chocolatey malt as well, supported by the wheat. There's also some pruney pleum; I think that's where the tartness is coming from.

Mouthfeel is thick and not very carbonated; it could actually stand a bit more to lighten it up.

Overall this is quite an interesting brew; and coincidentally very similar to one I planned on trying to homebrew one day.

07-28-2011 03:58:26 | More by zaphodchak
claytong

Vermont

3.43/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

appearance - dark tree bark brown, minor head from tap pour

smell - sweet smoked bbq, reminded me of texas grilling, bitter end coming from black tea (not a big black tea fan)

taste - my god thats a lot of bbq and very sweet, black tea just makes it even odder, i gave them extra points for creativity. certainly if you know what to expect and were pairing this it would be a superb and unique beer. but on its own, i didnt really like it.

mouthfeel - light body and just cloying from the oversweetness, glad i had a imperial stout to get it out of my mouth

07-11-2011 17:48:22 | More by claytong
grittybrews

Washington

3.48/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured a dark cola brown into a tulip with a finger of khaki head. Aroma of smoke and toffee.

Moderate carbonation and a fairly thin mouthfeel. Tons of mesquite smoke up front with some fairly strong caramel malt and a slight citrus character. Lots of smoke on the back end as well.

Pleasant enough, but the BBQ mesquite quality seems out of balance and becomes a bit too dominant after a while.

07-11-2011 04:05:42 | More by grittybrews