TNT - Left Hand Brewing Company

Hazy Black Walnut, 21 SRM
ABV 7.90%
IBU 20
Malted Wheat, Premium 2-row, Munich and Chocolate WheatWarrior and Perle

"Brewed with Lapsang Souchong tea, a noted 'smoky' tea."

(Beer added by: obireidkenobi on 03-16-2011)
2.25/5  rDev -30.8%

3.35/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

"See me blow out of your teapot. I'm from theChinese era Qing. Big batch of bad-ass brew, I will make you sing. Women on the left of me, men on my right. Ain't got no corn, ain't got no rice. I'm just malty nice. Cause I'm TNT. Sometimes you're not in the mood for what everyone else is having." TNT is brewed in the style of a German Weizen Doppelbock and has been infused with Lapchang Souchong tea.

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle to a pint glass. Served above 54º Fahrenheit.

(Appearance) Pours a moderate pale brown head of a crisp, frothy consistency. Body color is a dense, opaque dark brown. Retention is below average and there is no lacing. 3

(Smell) Unique sour, smokey and herbaceous aroma along with funky grape, plum and pungent tea leaves. I haven't quite smelled anything like this, and can't make out whether the aromas are intentional or a product of infection. Potency is high and sharp. 3.25

(Taste) The malt profile is simple and under sweet , with some pale and dry wheat malt plus a pinch of grain caramel for a touch of body. Some meaty smokiness joins a berry spice tea herbal flavor for a very interesting spin on the flavor. Overall it isn't easy to make this out as a doppelbock on anything other than the name itself. Expect the unexpected. 3.5

(Mouthfeel) Texture is slick, oily and thin. Carbonation adds some rough crispness to the mouthfeel. Body is medium for the style, medium+ overall. Alcohol presence is low-medium. 3.25

(Overall) Style purists will not find TNT to their liking, considering how uniquely different this beer is from most beers in general. It hardly carries the markings of a doppelbock or a weizen, and the gruff BBQ smoke and fruity herbal notes of the tea come out as the dominant notes in this beer. Combined with a less-than-stellar appearance and a buzzy mouthfeel, I don't expect a lot of love for this beer, and am myself fairly unimpressed. 3.25

Left Hand Brewing Company's
TNT Weizen Doppelbock
3.35/5.00

2.84/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

I know left hand just won a bunch of medals today at gabf, but this is not their strongest effort. 2011 vintage, looks cloudy, red/brown, and mostly flat, with that wheat malt lace we are all familiar with. my girlfriend thinks it smells like slim jim. I am thinking it smells like slightly higher quality cured meat, but smoky, salty, and fleshy for sure. now that I think of it, it smells a lot like the cured beef I ate in bosnia all summer last year. nothing about this tells me its beer. the flavor is also particularly wholesome, protein is evident here, salty again too. really just downright meaty, I don't get anything as far as malt or hops or yeast, maybe some lazy lager yeast on the back end, and some alcohol, but this is a miss on just about all counts. I don't dislike it, but the flavor is a far cry from the style guidelines, and it just really doesn't work for me. fall notes, but that's too little too late that its seasonally appropriate, this is a mess all over the place. so many left hand bombers have been, but I appreciate the spirit of experimentation that courses through most of them. skip this, if its even still around...

3.58/5  rDev +10.2%

Nailed the color. Small amount of lace and a very thin beige head present with an aggressive pour. Smell is where this shines for me, Smoke smoke smoke, this is a rauchbier. Their is also a black tea and soy sauce smell integrated nicely with the strong smokiness. Taste is soy sauce, moderate smoke, mild sweetness, and light black tea flavors, nice. This was a unique yet well executed project by lefthand and the age has helped this beer.

3.1/5  rDev -4.6%

2.21/5  rDev -32%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

I wanted something strong, and a lot of it, after a long day at work. Grabbed this out of the fridge and I love weizens and I love bocks but...

Visually there's nothing wrong with this one. Sort of a soy sauce or dark, deep wood finish look, but with a bunch of odd floaties that, personally, are a turn off. Pours with a hefty brown seafoam head. Smells... weird. A previous review mentioned a "carbonic tang" and that sounds appropriate. There's an odd fermented vegetation scent to it with a side of soy.

Wait, this thing is made with tea? Oh come on, why mess with a perfectly good thing like a weizenbock?

Taste is pretty much the same as the nose. Very pungent and smoky with a sort of acidy taste and aftertaste and an oily texture.

Bleah. First Left Hand beer I've had at home, and only the second I've ever tasted. I tried their milk stout at the ACBF in Boston last year and enjoyed it, so i know they're capable of good stuff. Best go back to the drawing board with this one guys.

2.55/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Maybe I got a bad bottle. Poured at a good temperature with no head or lace. Color is a very dark, clear, brown red. Aroma is roast, smoke, tea, malt. Flavor's like nose, carbonic tang is up front, followed by smokey sweet, and some tart, followed by some bitter in the finish. Body is ok, carbonation is a bit fizzy. Finish is like flavor, long in the smoke, and not that good. I'm dumping the rest.

3.15/5  rDev -3.1%

The beer pours a dark brown color with an off-white head. The aroma has a lot of meaty smoke in it as well as some wheat notes. The flavor is also very meaty tasting, with some banana and clove notes mixed in. I also get some wheat, as well as some ash and charcoal. Full bodied with medium carbonation. Not bad, but I wish the smoke was turned down a bit and the weizenbock notes were more prevalent.

TNT from Left Hand Brewing Company