TNT - Left Hand Brewing Company

Hazy Black Walnut, 21 SRM
ABV 7.90%
IBU 20
Malted Wheat, Premium 2-row, Munich and Chocolate WheatWarrior and Perle

"Brewed with Lapsang Souchong tea, a noted 'smoky' tea."
Ratings: 115 | Reviews: 75
Reviews by VALIS666:
3.38/5  rDev +3.7%

Watching opening day baseball with a few beers,hopefully the Tigers can get a win against the f###g Yankees.Poured into my Aventinus glass a cloudy,hazy russett color with a large fluffy beige colored head.The tea really stands out in the nose along wich spiced,smokey phenols,not over done in my mind.A little light and sharp in the mouth,smoke and phenols dominate the flavors,quite spicy and yeasty,the smoke seems to be a little off.The beer started out promising but did fizzle out a little when came to flavor and feel,I think its a little heavy handed in the yeast department,the tea didnt play a big role on the palate for me until the beer warmed a little and it didnt really cut thru the phenols.Bottled on 2/11/11.

3.16/5  rDev -3.1%

The beer pours a dark brown color with an off-white head. The aroma has a lot of meaty smoke in it as well as some wheat notes. The flavor is also very meaty tasting, with some banana and clove notes mixed in. I also get some wheat, as well as some ash and charcoal. Full bodied with medium carbonation. Not bad, but I wish the smoke was turned down a bit and the weizenbock notes were more prevalent.

3.57/5  rDev +9.5%

On-tap at Cypress St. Pint and Plate in Atlanta.

Pours an opaque light brown color with a one-finger tan head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of smoked malts with very light amounts of bruised banana aromas. Also present are moderate amounts of herbal tea and lighter amounts of wheat.

Tastes similar to how it smells, though the smoked malts are more overpowering. Smoked malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by even more smoked malts. Joining in shortly thereafter are mild amounts of herbal tea flavors. Midway through the sip slightly sweet toasted malt flavors make a brief appearance, as do hints of overripe bananas, before fading out into a mildly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It’s got a nice thickness with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is OK. I finished my glass without any problems however I’m not sure about another.

Overall I wasn’t a big fan of this beer and wish I’d gone with the house beer for half the price, not to mention it’s Sweetwater IPA. Interesting but not worth seeking out.

3.9/5  rDev +19.6%

(Served in a dimple mug)

A- This beer pours a dense walnut brown body wit no light passing through. There is a boiling light tan head that is creamy and bubbly.

S- This beer has a smoked tea and juniper needle quality with a clean soft smoke note in the finish. There is a nice black tea note that comes through as the beer opens.

T- The tangy pine needle smoke flavor is earthy with a light burning leaves note and some soft bubblegum ester notes in the dry finish. As the beer opens there are some dark toffee notes and malt notes that come through.

M- This beer has a medium-light mouthfeel with a tight fizz in the finish and no alcohol heat noticed.

O- This beer has a nice smoke flavor that is unique and very pleasant just very little malt or hop character to support it. The smoke and esters from the hefe yeast are a bit odd together. Lapsang souchong bubblegum

3.23/5  rDev -0.9%

I don't know why but I like the look of weizenbocks. The ruddy color, or the hazed muddy water texture and soft white head really makes me happy. I can't say I prefer it over a crystal clear IPA but the style appeals to me and TNT fits it like a glove.

The nose is a horse of a different color. Smoke galore with hints of the weizenbock hidden underneath. Just like when a campfire smoke changes direction in the wind every now and then you get a breath of fresh air that highlights the fruity malts underneath. Very interesting.

Taste is interesting like the nose but falls short for the style. I like the balance of smoke to malt but a sweet eventually overtakes everything else. It becomes such a dominate flavor that after a few swigs all I get is cherrie tartness that borders on synthetic tasting. I wish there were more of the initial flavors and less of the fruity but it's not going to stop me from drinking and hoping the flavor changes for the better the closer it gets to room temp.

Mouthfeel is smooth and medium bodied with a light touch of carbonation. Slick on the tongue and a little tart in the finish from the fruity flavors. After awhile the smoke flavor loses it's novelty and becomes more of a liquid smoke fakeness that I wish tasted more peat/ scotch like. Overall a decent beer that you would expect from left hand but it falls flat. Worth a try but I can't see buying more then one... ever.

2.86/5  rDev -12.3%

Hemp taste.On tap at The Ginger man NYC. Dar brown with an eighth of an inch of head on dark brown, lacey. Taste was rope and hemp in taste and in smell. Smoke altogether didn't work.Not meating the style. Sweaty. Not too drinkable.Average mouthfeel.

3.95/5  rDev +21.2%

Left hand TNT

Poured from a bomber into an Aventinus glass. An aggressive pour yields a 1.5 finger beige head atop a very deep chocolatey body.

Smells like chocolate and smoke (specifically lapsang souchong).

Wos, this taste is odd. It's full-bodied, tart, and savory-smoky. How something could be both smoky and sour is mysterious, but considering it's made with lapsang souchong (a very, very smoky tea), it makes sense. Plenty of rich chocolatey malt as well, supported by the wheat. There's also some pruney pleum; I think that's where the tartness is coming from.

Mouthfeel is thick and not very carbonated; it could actually stand a bit more to lighten it up.

Overall this is quite an interesting brew; and coincidentally very similar to one I planned on trying to homebrew one day.

3.4/5  rDev +4.3%

Pours a rich, deep brown. Nose is a mix of tobacco, smoke, and cherries. Leather and smoke dominate the flavor. Cherries make an appearance, and the tea comes in late. There is a dry and bitter finish that I would associate with overdone unsweetened iced tea.

As I'm getting into it more and it warms, the smoke and leather are becoming more tame and the bad iced tea flavor is going away. More dark fruit flavors are coming out. And a hint of bacon.

I can't say I love this, and I can't say I hate it. But it's different and worth trying

3.29/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured into a tulip glass. Dark brown and bubbly. The head was a bunch of bubbles that only formed into a head for a few seconds.

Smells like smoke, lots of it. Exactly like a raunchier. There is also the smell of black olives.

It tastes smokey too. Also roasted malt and bacon.

Lots of carbonation, light body and stickiness to the texture.

I like the smokey smell and taste, but the other tastes and texture are just not fitting together for me. Worth trying if only for its uniqueness.

2.95/5  rDev -9.5%

This is a weird beer for me. I can't tell if I like it or hate it.

Pours a dark brown with dark amber edges.

Smells strong of bacon and smoke.

Tastes like a bacon milkshake. The smoke flavors are powerful. I do not exaggerate when I say it tastes like smokey bacon. It is interesting, strange, good and bad all at the same time. The first few sips are very good, but by the time I got to the last of my glass (8oz serving) I just wanted to get the taste out of my mouth. Medium body. Taste lingers.

This beer really brings out the smoke when paired with smoked meats.

2.17/5  rDev -33.4%

Poured into an Aventinus glass.

Pours a deep, murky dark chocolate brown with a mocha head of about two fingers. Copious lacing evident.

Aromas of dark tea, malty, toasted wheat, citrus (orange), not a good mix. Aromas are all over the place, and nothing really works together.

Flavor is kind of "meaty" with dark fruits (mainly prunes), some smokiness.

Mouthfeel is big, chewy. Good level of carbonation. Smoke ting lingers.

Overall not a good combination. Not pleasant, will likely be a drain pour.

4.44/5  rDev +36.2%

A: deep brown/black with a good size off white head. Sticks around forever.

S: Smoked meat right up front. Earthy and dirty. VERY UNIQUE! I gaveit a 5 because it is unlike anything I've smelled before and it is quite pleseant.

T: So odd. Sweetness and the an odd smoked flavor. Almost like a smoked porter witout the body or roast. I am getting this wierd citrus dryness at the back end that I cannot quite nail down. Anyway you slice it, this is quite unique and damn good.

M: For the abv it is more watery than i would think. The carbonation is below average which accentuates the smoke.

O: Out of this world good. I cannot think of any beer in which I have had recently that has unique. I really dig this and would absolutely buy again. Awesome offering.

3.45/5  rDev +5.8%

It pours a dark, muddy brown, almost black with a creamy tan head, nice retention and creamy walls of lace.

The smell is odd, hickory smoked meat up front with some roasted notes, toasted nuts, and woody qualities.

Not a lot of sweetness, but some caramel and toffee notes topped off with some bitter cocoa. Nutty qualites throughout the dominating smoked meat flavors. Hickory and campfire. Floral, and earthy notes on the back. Earthy, herbal tea notes as well.

Thick body and creamy, smooth in the middle. A little bitter on the finish. A definite sipper. Nothing that made me want to buy another.

2.86/5  rDev -12.3%

Firstly, the waiter told me that this was a chocolate stout. So I was shocked at the taste when I got it. I didn't use his error in my rating.

A- 2 finger tan head, very dark beer.

S- Smokey, slightly burnt smell.

T- Tasted smokey. Especially the aftertaste. I did not get wheat from this beer at all, just a smokey beer that was more like a rauch beer.

M- Very carbonated. My first guess as to not being a stout at all. Thin feel, not bad, not great, but not bad.

O- The flavors were too complicated. It seemed to be a little bit all over the place, but the driver was smoked flavor. I drink smoked beer as I lived in Bamberg for a few years, but this one just does not hit on the notes I'd like which is clear direction in a flavor.

2.68/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Always looking for something with smokey accents so I was happy to find this on the shelves. Poured into a pint glass, the color is a deep dark brown, looks like bog water. Initially presents with a deep beige head but that quickly faded leaving just a light film on top. Smell is hard to pin down. Definitely some smoke, with a hint of soy sauce, and tea leaves. On tasting this beer my taste buds were just as confused as my nose had been. The smokey flavor is just off. Rather than getting that great smoke campfire quality that elicits fond memories of camping with friends/family, I get a smoke quality of cheap cigar ash that has been left out a long time. Their is a soy sauce thing in the taste as well, but its like it had been left in the sauce pan and got burnt. The tea aspects on this beer create this background flavor that seems like dark fruit that is past its time. The mouthfeel doesn't help because the carbonation seems low, making this a thicker mess to have to get down. Overall I was really disappointed in this beer. I know Left Hand can make a good beer with smokey elements because I really enjoyed their Fade to Black vol 2 porter. This one just didn't work.

1.9/5  rDev -41.7%

Had this beer from a 22 oz bomber bottle. I was excited to try this beer because of the smokey element. Poured into a pint glass. Right away the smell hits you in the face. Leather, smoke, burnt tar. Not a good combination. The taste was overwhelming fake Liquid Smoke to me. I couldn't get passed the leather, burnt soy sauce, fake liquid smoke taste of this beer. I dumped it, and I can count on one hand how many times I've dumped a beer. Not. Good.

2.88/5  rDev -11.7%

Poured this one into an Aventinus glass.

Even with a vigorous pour, this brew only makes a finger thick light tan head. The body is brown and pretty thick with residual yeast.

The aroma is smoky sweet with a hint of over ripe banana and clove.

The taste is totally rauch. Not what I expect in a weizenbock. There is a hint of sweetness, but I can't quite peg down what it reminds me of.

Feels full in body, a little chewy, and a little oily.

3.88/5  rDev +19%

02/16/2011 Bottle Date
(aged for about 6 months in our basement refrigerator at 40 deg)

I was really intrigued by the "out of the box" use of Lapsang Souchong tea leaves in a Weizen Dopplebock/Rachbier style. It's unconventionality appealed so we picked it up.

A--Murky deep brown, about zero clarity (probably the wheat I'd imagine), slight milky brown, fizzy head that dissipates quickly.
S--The tea gives it a smokey woody smell, a bit of tart fruit and then sweetness from the grain. Definitely detect some malty notes in the nose.
T--Sweeter and maltier on the front, finishes like a dark, bitter tea followed by a slightly fermented briny flavor that is reminiscent of the after-taste of miso soup followed by a sip of black tea. Smooth, drinkable and intriguing.
M--Medium body, slightly dry feel (again, I attribute this to the tea) more of one to sip on. Worthwhile if you enjoy novelty, appreciate a smokey beer or good strong cup of tea.

Serving type: bottle poured into pint glass

3.45/5  rDev +5.8%

Pours a dark murky black tea looking stuff, with pretty much no light getting through, with a fizzy darker head that fades pretty quickly.

Nose brings a definite smoked aroma, some smoke cheese like with a bit of a smoke wood like aroma, a faint black tea aroma in the background as well that's more like background radiation of tea than a dominant aroma, light caramel and molasses, some bock like malts and a faint chewy brown malt.

Taste comes on following right with the nose, bringing smoke at first, a slight smoked cheese and light hickory and some campfire even. The smoke brings a slight bitterness and almost acidity, as well as a faint acrid burnt flavor. Then comes the light black tea, and earthy tannic like tea flavor that's not too strong, but more dominant than the aroma I think. Malts play a background role in this one, with a bit of caramel and molasses, then some dark wheat like bock flavors, and a bit of dark fruits. There is a light smoked jerky like flavor too that comes and goes. Finish is drier, with more smoked flavors, light campfire, sticky sweet like malt flavors, a bit syrupy at this point as well, and some light bitterness and tannins.

Mouth is a bit heavier bodied, some booze warmth comes out on the finish, with decent carbonation.

Overall interesting to try, but not one I would probably buy again. It has some interesting flavors, nice tea like and the smoke starts nice but gets a bit overwhelming. The biggest problem with the beer is that the beer itself, malts etc, play a background role in this beer. It's more about the smoke and tea than weizen-doppelbock at all, for which the flavors are very subtle and hard to get to behind the heavy smoke and tea. I like the idea, but please tone those components down a bit and try again. The tannins start to get a bit heavy and combine with the smoked, char, and bitterness to bring a slightly unpleasant feel as well.

3.37/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I can see why other reviewers have given this brew poor scores. To start with, this is not a Weizen Dopplebock (think Heavy Seas, Hang Ten). Similar enough to Smuttynose S'muttonator....crossed with a Rauchbier.... perhaps a cousin of sorts. That being said, I am not exactly sure what the brewers at Left Hand were thinking with their interpretation of this style.

Eye Candy: Dark mahogany with a small tan bubbly head that rapidly vanished. Appears thick and viscous, dangerous but deceitful.

The Nose Knows: Initial full frontal assault of smoked bacon (cold) that thankfully dissipates at this brew warms, giving way to an essence of dark wheat, sweet herbal tea, figs, candied plums, and lastly a zap of clove.

Tongueland: Thin, thin, thin. Similar mouthfeel to the Left Hand Milk Stout. Both beers would qualify as a black lager in terms of mouthfeel on the East Coast IMO. This beer is actually quite complex with many flavors longing to emerge, given ample time by the connoisseur. From the fridge, the smoke was a tad overwhelming and certainly overpowering. After approx 1 hour of being exposed to ambient temperature conditions, the complexity began to delicately unfold and emerge like a Lotus flower exposed to the radiance of the sun.

Slight sweet smoke, reminiscent of honey and mesquite. Dark fruit middle, hint of dark wheat, essence of honey. Finish of over ripe mashed bananas, dash of sweet red herbal tea, but mostly spicy clove with a poof of cocoa. Impressive in terms of the depth that is present; however, this brew is agonizingly muddled. Cellaring may improve the delineation. The clove spice could be interpreted as overpowering, but I prefer a robust spiced ale.

Bender Factor: In April, one and done. But release this baby in the cold days of December and I am turning down the thermostat. This baby WILL warm you up!

I recommend exposing this brew to ambient conditions for minimum of one hour before truly reviewing. Taste TNT fridge cold, then taste after the time period has elapsed. You will be pleasantly surprised :) And amazed!

2.15/5  rDev -34%

Live review out of a pint glass at Bodega.

This is the first beer I have ever rated a beer a "1" for appearance. Again, I am pissed the %score for appearance is so low. A beer this ugly begs not to be sampled.

Looks like murky chocolate milk or sewage. Thick, dense opaque camo brown. Headless, no lace, though there is a slimy film coating my glass. Too much sediment... sometimes a filter can be man's best friend.

Thought it was on nitro until I realized it would never settle.

Smells interesting enough. Tea is very strong, black gunpowder tea, chai, faint vanilla. Earthy and powerful. Tons of smokiness. Some friends with me said it smelled like bacon. I didn't get bacon, but certainly an odd take on the style.

Taste is very sweet, more chai type flavors, some black tea, warming deep in my throat. Lots of twiggy, medicinal flavors. After a while it hurt my stomach, I couldn't finish more than half a pint. Reminded me of my Chinese mother-in-law's medicine soup that is made with weird roots and herbs.

Very dry. Bone dry, over-steeped tea dry. Thick and with some particulate detectable. Not pleasant.

Overall just not what a beer should be. The idea was very intriguing, but ultimately a failure. How did this make it's way into distribution???

1.82/5  rDev -44.2%

Long silence of reviews broken. Why? Well, this is the first drain pour I've done in years.

It looks OK, dark and cloudy, but has little aroma, and the mouthfeel is off...an affect of the tea I'm assuming.

Phenolic/tannin flavor completely takes over whatever this beer "should" be. Tastes like a bad batch of home brew (and I have brewed exactly one bad batch of home brew with tea). Astringency is king in this beer's land of disappointment only made that much harder by the absurd price.

Use your wallet (trust me, close it) to coup this beer out of rotation.

3.05/5  rDev -6.4%

I had this at the Meddlesome Moth the other day, shared a bottle with BeerDiablo. ( Thanks much, Man! )

A hard beer to describe, and not at all what either of us were expecting.

The appearance was great, though, a nice dark reddish brown, a little cloudy, definitely looked like a Weizen Doppelbock as described on the bottle. A little bit of thin head retention.

The smell was the first surprise, heavy, heavy smoke aroma. Not what either of us expected for a weizen doppel! A closer look at the bottle revealed it was brewed with tea, which explained a little of the smoky aroma.

I actually quite enjoyed the aroma, it was a little bit like opening up the smoker while slow cooking a brisquet wrapped in wet, fragrant tea leaves. Lots and lots of smoke but in the best way.

The taste...not as great as the smell. A little too muddled, with too many of the flavors that were trying to present themselves just overwhelmed by the flavors brought on by that heavy, smoky aroma.

The Smoke flavor carried over very heavily, and so did the tea scent. In fact, the tea flavor came out way too much, like chewing on wet tea leaves that had been smoked for a week.

Only as it warmed did it finally began to reveal some of the wheat and malt flavors I'd been expecting from the style.

Unfortunately as it warmed, it also began to present a little more of a soy sauce character. It also brought on just a little bit of tart fruit that should have been delicious, but was too overwhelmed by smoke and tea.

By the time I was done with my glass, I'd gotten to like it a little bit more then I had when I started, but definitely not one of my favorite Left Hand products. And I usually love their beers!

I think with some good cellar time it might become a much better beer, time for the flavors to balance out a little bit, cause right now it's almost all smoke, and tea, and eventually soy. To the point of overpowering all the other flavors attempting to present themselves.

It had a decent mouthfeel, smooth for the most part. But all the smokiness left my palette feeling kinda overwhelmed after a while, kept rinsing it with water to get a better feel for the beer.

2.91/5  rDev -10.7%

A - Brown, and it is a bit murky, but the hue is deep so I don't see why so many reviewers have been flat-out offended by it. It has a scant off-white head.

S - The nose is good. Not Schlenkerla good, but not terribly far off. Campfire, smoked salmon, smoked mullet, etc.

T - The taste is a bit of a dropoff. Maybe a huge dropoff. It is very sweet and reminds me a lot of chewing tobacco. I am not an expert on 'chaw' by any means, but I've done most things once including chewing tobacco. It tastes like the Levi Garrett that I had in 7th grade.

M - The feel is perfectly acceptable.

O - I don't really like this one, overall. There are aspects that are good, but too many parts are out of place here.

It is worth noting that it can be redeemed by a pepperoncini pairing... The spiciness of the pepper quells the sweetness of the taste.

2.76/5  rDev -15.3%

A: Pours a dark, nearly opaque brown color. A two finger beige head forms, and gently recedes to a ring. Some sticky lace is left behind.
S: Big meaty smoke. Charcoal, burnt toast. Light sugary sweetness and some chocolate.
T: Follows the nose. Though the smoke is even more up front. Burnt charcoal and ash. Some sweetness lingers, not much else. This is a Weisenbock?
M/D: A medium body that is light on the carbonation. Thin and watery. A bit of burning alcohol in the back of the throat. Not something I am going to back to, and I don't really care to finish the bomber.

This is not something I enjoy. I don't understand were the tea comes into play here, because I get nothing, and way to much smoke. A very harsh beer. Not a Weisenbock at all, and not very pleasant. I would not recommend it.

TNT from Left Hand Brewing Company