TNT - Left Hand Brewing Company

Hazy Black Walnut, 21 SRM
ABV 7.90%
IBU 20
Malted Wheat, Premium 2-row, Munich and Chocolate WheatWarrior and Perle

"Brewed with Lapsang Souchong tea, a noted 'smoky' tea."

(Beer added by: obireidkenobi on 03-16-2011)
Reviews by smokeypeat:
2.65/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Always looking for something with smokey accents so I was happy to find this on the shelves. Poured into a pint glass, the color is a deep dark brown, looks like bog water. Initially presents with a deep beige head but that quickly faded leaving just a light film on top. Smell is hard to pin down. Definitely some smoke, with a hint of soy sauce, and tea leaves. On tasting this beer my taste buds were just as confused as my nose had been. The smokey flavor is just off. Rather than getting that great smoke campfire quality that elicits fond memories of camping with friends/family, I get a smoke quality of cheap cigar ash that has been left out a long time. Their is a soy sauce thing in the taste as well, but its like it had been left in the sauce pan and got burnt. The tea aspects on this beer create this background flavor that seems like dark fruit that is past its time. The mouthfeel doesn't help because the carbonation seems low, making this a thicker mess to have to get down. Overall I was really disappointed in this beer. I know Left Hand can make a good beer with smokey elements because I really enjoyed their Fade to Black vol 2 porter. This one just didn't work.

smokeypeat, Jul 28, 2011
3.33/5  rDev +2.1%

Watching opening day baseball with a few beers,hopefully the Tigers can get a win against the f###g Yankees.Poured into my Aventinus glass a cloudy,hazy russett color with a large fluffy beige colored head.The tea really stands out in the nose along wich spiced,smokey phenols,not over done in my mind.A little light and sharp in the mouth,smoke and phenols dominate the flavors,quite spicy and yeasty,the smoke seems to be a little off.The beer started out promising but did fizzle out a little when came to flavor and feel,I think its a little heavy handed in the yeast department,the tea didnt play a big role on the palate for me until the beer warmed a little and it didnt really cut thru the phenols.Bottled on 2/11/11.

oberon, Mar 31, 2011
3.15/5  rDev -3.4%

The beer pours a dark brown color with an off-white head. The aroma has a lot of meaty smoke in it as well as some wheat notes. The flavor is also very meaty tasting, with some banana and clove notes mixed in. I also get some wheat, as well as some ash and charcoal. Full bodied with medium carbonation. Not bad, but I wish the smoke was turned down a bit and the weizenbock notes were more prevalent.

Mora2000, Jul 07, 2012
3.55/5  rDev +8.9%

On-tap at Cypress St. Pint and Plate in Atlanta.

Pours an opaque light brown color with a one-finger tan head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of smoked malts with very light amounts of bruised banana aromas. Also present are moderate amounts of herbal tea and lighter amounts of wheat.

Tastes similar to how it smells, though the smoked malts are more overpowering. Smoked malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by even more smoked malts. Joining in shortly thereafter are mild amounts of herbal tea flavors. Midway through the sip slightly sweet toasted malt flavors make a brief appearance, as do hints of overripe bananas, before fading out into a mildly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It’s got a nice thickness with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is OK. I finished my glass without any problems however I’m not sure about another.

Overall I wasn’t a big fan of this beer and wish I’d gone with the house beer for half the price, not to mention it’s Sweetwater IPA. Interesting but not worth seeking out.

glid02, Apr 14, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +19.6%

(Served in a dimple mug)

A- This beer pours a dense walnut brown body wit no light passing through. There is a boiling light tan head that is creamy and bubbly.

S- This beer has a smoked tea and juniper needle quality with a clean soft smoke note in the finish. There is a nice black tea note that comes through as the beer opens.

T- The tangy pine needle smoke flavor is earthy with a light burning leaves note and some soft bubblegum ester notes in the dry finish. As the beer opens there are some dark toffee notes and malt notes that come through.

M- This beer has a medium-light mouthfeel with a tight fizz in the finish and no alcohol heat noticed.

O- This beer has a nice smoke flavor that is unique and very pleasant just very little malt or hop character to support it. The smoke and esters from the hefe yeast are a bit odd together. Lapsang souchong bubblegum

rhoadsrage, Jun 15, 2011
3.2/5  rDev -1.8%

I don't know why but I like the look of weizenbocks. The ruddy color, or the hazed muddy water texture and soft white head really makes me happy. I can't say I prefer it over a crystal clear IPA but the style appeals to me and TNT fits it like a glove.

The nose is a horse of a different color. Smoke galore with hints of the weizenbock hidden underneath. Just like when a campfire smoke changes direction in the wind every now and then you get a breath of fresh air that highlights the fruity malts underneath. Very interesting.

Taste is interesting like the nose but falls short for the style. I like the balance of smoke to malt but a sweet eventually overtakes everything else. It becomes such a dominate flavor that after a few swigs all I get is cherrie tartness that borders on synthetic tasting. I wish there were more of the initial flavors and less of the fruity but it's not going to stop me from drinking and hoping the flavor changes for the better the closer it gets to room temp.

Mouthfeel is smooth and medium bodied with a light touch of carbonation. Slick on the tongue and a little tart in the finish from the fruity flavors. After awhile the smoke flavor loses it's novelty and becomes more of a liquid smoke fakeness that I wish tasted more peat/ scotch like. Overall a decent beer that you would expect from left hand but it falls flat. Worth a try but I can't see buying more then one... ever.

jbphoto88, May 05, 2011
2.5/5  rDev -23.3%

cisteve, Apr 07, 2012

IPAylor, Jan 04, 2012
2.83/5  rDev -13.2%

Hemp taste.On tap at The Ginger man NYC. Dar brown with an eighth of an inch of head on dark brown, lacey. Taste was rope and hemp in taste and in smell. Smoke altogether didn't work.Not meating the style. Sweaty. Not too drinkable.Average mouthfeel.

Sammy, May 19, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +21.2%

Left hand TNT

Poured from a bomber into an Aventinus glass. An aggressive pour yields a 1.5 finger beige head atop a very deep chocolatey body.

Smells like chocolate and smoke (specifically lapsang souchong).

Wos, this taste is odd. It's full-bodied, tart, and savory-smoky. How something could be both smoky and sour is mysterious, but considering it's made with lapsang souchong (a very, very smoky tea), it makes sense. Plenty of rich chocolatey malt as well, supported by the wheat. There's also some pruney pleum; I think that's where the tartness is coming from.

Mouthfeel is thick and not very carbonated; it could actually stand a bit more to lighten it up.

Overall this is quite an interesting brew; and coincidentally very similar to one I planned on trying to homebrew one day.

zaphodchak, Jul 28, 2011
3.35/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours a rich, deep brown. Nose is a mix of tobacco, smoke, and cherries. Leather and smoke dominate the flavor. Cherries make an appearance, and the tea comes in late. There is a dry and bitter finish that I would associate with overdone unsweetened iced tea.

As I'm getting into it more and it warms, the smoke and leather are becoming more tame and the bad iced tea flavor is going away. More dark fruit flavors are coming out. And a hint of bacon.

I can't say I love this, and I can't say I hate it. But it's different and worth trying

McNealc31, Jan 27, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -0.3%

cliff1066, Dec 29, 2012
3.3/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured into a tulip glass. Dark brown and bubbly. The head was a bunch of bubbles that only formed into a head for a few seconds.

Smells like smoke, lots of it. Exactly like a raunchier. There is also the smell of black olives.

It tastes smokey too. Also roasted malt and bacon.

Lots of carbonation, light body and stickiness to the texture.

I like the smokey smell and taste, but the other tastes and texture are just not fitting together for me. Worth trying if only for its uniqueness.

Fatehunter, Feb 26, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -23.3%

dumptruck81, Jan 20, 2012
2.88/5  rDev -11.7%

This is a weird beer for me. I can't tell if I like it or hate it.

Pours a dark brown with dark amber edges.

Smells strong of bacon and smoke.

Tastes like a bacon milkshake. The smoke flavors are powerful. I do not exaggerate when I say it tastes like smokey bacon. It is interesting, strange, good and bad all at the same time. The first few sips are very good, but by the time I got to the last of my glass (8oz serving) I just wanted to get the taste out of my mouth. Medium body. Taste lingers.

This beer really brings out the smoke when paired with smoked meats.

osusullins, Nov 03, 2011

jaydoc, Dec 14, 2013

NodakEric, Aug 11, 2012

Tyrawlings, Feb 12, 2012
2.15/5  rDev -34%

Poured into an Aventinus glass.

Pours a deep, murky dark chocolate brown with a mocha head of about two fingers. Copious lacing evident.

Aromas of dark tea, malty, toasted wheat, citrus (orange), not a good mix. Aromas are all over the place, and nothing really works together.

Flavor is kind of "meaty" with dark fruits (mainly prunes), some smokiness.

Mouthfeel is big, chewy. Good level of carbonation. Smoke ting lingers.

Overall not a good combination. Not pleasant, will likely be a drain pour.

JamnesCameron, Apr 15, 2011

Tumble, Mar 04, 2012
4.43/5  rDev +35.9%

A: deep brown/black with a good size off white head. Sticks around forever.

S: Smoked meat right up front. Earthy and dirty. VERY UNIQUE! I gaveit a 5 because it is unlike anything I've smelled before and it is quite pleseant.

T: So odd. Sweetness and the an odd smoked flavor. Almost like a smoked porter witout the body or roast. I am getting this wierd citrus dryness at the back end that I cannot quite nail down. Anyway you slice it, this is quite unique and damn good.

M: For the abv it is more watery than i would think. The carbonation is below average which accentuates the smoke.

O: Out of this world good. I cannot think of any beer in which I have had recently that has unique. I really dig this and would absolutely buy again. Awesome offering.

rrski198, Jun 19, 2011