TNT - Left Hand Brewing Company

Hazy Black Walnut, 21 SRM
ABV 7.90%
IBU 20
Malted Wheat, Premium 2-row, Munich and Chocolate WheatWarrior and Perle

"Brewed with Lapsang Souchong tea, a noted 'smoky' tea."
2.15/5  rDev -33.8%

Poured into an Aventinus glass.

Pours a deep, murky dark chocolate brown with a mocha head of about two fingers. Copious lacing evident.

Aromas of dark tea, malty, toasted wheat, citrus (orange), not a good mix. Aromas are all over the place, and nothing really works together.

Flavor is kind of "meaty" with dark fruits (mainly prunes), some smokiness.

Mouthfeel is big, chewy. Good level of carbonation. Smoke ting lingers.

Overall not a good combination. Not pleasant, will likely be a drain pour.

3.55/5  rDev +9.2%

On-tap at Cypress St. Pint and Plate in Atlanta.

Pours an opaque light brown color with a one-finger tan head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of smoked malts with very light amounts of bruised banana aromas. Also present are moderate amounts of herbal tea and lighter amounts of wheat.

Tastes similar to how it smells, though the smoked malts are more overpowering. Smoked malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by even more smoked malts. Joining in shortly thereafter are mild amounts of herbal tea flavors. Midway through the sip slightly sweet toasted malt flavors make a brief appearance, as do hints of overripe bananas, before fading out into a mildly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It’s got a nice thickness with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is OK. I finished my glass without any problems however I’m not sure about another.

Overall I wasn’t a big fan of this beer and wish I’d gone with the house beer for half the price, not to mention it’s Sweetwater IPA. Interesting but not worth seeking out.

2.33/5  rDev -28.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

pours a very murky brown with a decent sized khaki colored head that quickly settles to a thin film and leaves a bit of lacing as it makes its way down the glass.

malty bock aromas with some graininess and wheat toast, but plenty of herbal tea spiked with citrus. doesnt quite work together too well.

some toasty malt flavors with some raisin and plum, but with significant bitter herbal tea mixed in there as well. Im not sure this was the correct style to use this tea with. flavors do not mesh well together at all, and actually get worse as the beer warms. some campfire smoke and astringency as well.

almost medium bodied with rather light carbonation and a smoked herb aftertaste that lingers unpleasantly.

not very impressed. sounded interesting, and it is interesting, but overall its totally not for me, and not something I would drink again.

3.55/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Murky brown color with a yeasty final pour. Head is tanned, short, and a little thin. Not bad in the color, but the carbonation and head need some work.

The nose is smoky, with a must of dark fruits wafting from the depths. I'm interested, but not in love.

Sweet and smoky, with phenolic yeasts and the browned malts making big headway against the previously dominating smoke character. Herbal and spicy, harkening to a "typical" weizenbock, but the smoke component makes this one quite unusual.

A little overcarbonated, which actually helps keep the smoke flavor off the palate and allows some of the raisin and banana. Still, not an overall great effort. Pretty weird for the style and not in a good way.

3.53/5  rDev +8.6%

22 oz bottle poured into a weizen glass. A thick mocha-tan creamy head starts off about an inch thick, then recedes to an 1/4 inch cap. Body color is a thick, muddy brown. Everything about the way this beer looks says "Thick".

Smell has a strange smoked bacon aroma that took me by surprise. I was not expecting that. I don't smell the black tea, but I do get a hint of the wheat. The taste still has a smokey quality, but the bacon is not as intense. Though it is dark roasted, the wheat still retains some clean character. It helps cut the heaviness of the heavy malt bill. The black tea comes in through the finish giving a mild, herbal tea bitterness.

The mouthfeel is heavy and super chewy. This could be a meal in of itself, however a full 22 oz bottle is pushing the limits. The bacon character was a little off-putting at first. Just not what I was expecting. As the beer warms, flavors mellow out and it is more approachable. Not completely blown away, so maybe only a quarter stick.

3.35/5  rDev +3.1%

A-Agree with other users that it did pour sort of murky, but settles into a deep brown with about two fingers worth of tan head

S-malty, sweet, and a little smokey, hints of tea in there also

T-Lots of smoke and malt flavor, spicy and yeasty, and then finishes with a tea taste which I find off putting with the smoke and malts.

M-very smooth, starts out with a medium body but ends thin, low carbonation

Kind of mixed feelings about this, I like the smokiness of the beer, but I am not a fan of the tea flavor which seems to me thins the beer out a lot.

3.33/5  rDev +2.5%

This is destined to be a divisive beer. I kinda like it, but can easily see how someone might not...at all.
Deep, deep brown. Thick and clearly unfiltered. Darkest weizenbeer I've had and it looks almost like a big stout.
The nose is pretty close to a rauchbier. I've been told it's distinct to the tea and the nose is authentic, but to me it's not too far from rauchweizen.
The taste is sweet up front, a bit like like a normal weizenbock but is followed by big BBQ-sauce like smokiness. Tea is a bit lost when this cooler, but shows itself more as it warms. It effectively blends with the smoke, too. The problem? All of the chocolate/banana/spice flavors are buried beneath the smoke, tea, and BBQ notes. If that doesn't appeal to you, this beer will be horrid. It's probably something a rauchbier fan might enjoy (overlooking the Reinheitsgebot issue) or at least have a taste for.
As I work my way in, I think it becomes a bit tiresome and 1-dimensional. 1/2 a bottle is more than enough.
Not terrible, and tasty at first. Drinkability is pretty low, though.
Interesting, but likely not something I'd be eager to revisit.
Hmmm...some good elements and some really odd ones.

2.48/5  rDev -23.7%

Had this one on tap this evening at Hops & Pie in the Highland neighborhood in North Denver. I had considered purchasing a bottle for a few seconds the other day, but passed. Glad I did. Medium brown color, with a scant off-white head. Aromas of light smoke, dark raisins, bananas and wheat. Similar on the palate, but hidden behind an overwhelming (and unpleasant) smokiness.

1.73/5  rDev -46.8%

Long silence of reviews broken. Why? Well, this is the first drain pour I've done in years.

It looks OK, dark and cloudy, but has little aroma, and the mouthfeel is off...an affect of the tea I'm assuming.

Phenolic/tannin flavor completely takes over whatever this beer "should" be. Tastes like a bad batch of home brew (and I have brewed exactly one bad batch of home brew with tea). Astringency is king in this beer's land of disappointment only made that much harder by the absurd price.

Use your wallet (trust me, close it) to coup this beer out of rotation.

2.85/5  rDev -12.3%

A - Brown, and it is a bit murky, but the hue is deep so I don't see why so many reviewers have been flat-out offended by it. It has a scant off-white head.

S - The nose is good. Not Schlenkerla good, but not terribly far off. Campfire, smoked salmon, smoked mullet, etc.

T - The taste is a bit of a dropoff. Maybe a huge dropoff. It is very sweet and reminds me a lot of chewing tobacco. I am not an expert on 'chaw' by any means, but I've done most things once including chewing tobacco. It tastes like the Levi Garrett that I had in 7th grade.

M - The feel is perfectly acceptable.

O - I don't really like this one, overall. There are aspects that are good, but too many parts are out of place here.

It is worth noting that it can be redeemed by a pepperoncini pairing... The spiciness of the pepper quells the sweetness of the taste.

3.33/5  rDev +2.5%

Watching opening day baseball with a few beers,hopefully the Tigers can get a win against the f###g Yankees.Poured into my Aventinus glass a cloudy,hazy russett color with a large fluffy beige colored head.The tea really stands out in the nose along wich spiced,smokey phenols,not over done in my mind.A little light and sharp in the mouth,smoke and phenols dominate the flavors,quite spicy and yeasty,the smoke seems to be a little off.The beer started out promising but did fizzle out a little when came to flavor and feel,I think its a little heavy handed in the yeast department,the tea didnt play a big role on the palate for me until the beer warmed a little and it didnt really cut thru the phenols.Bottled on 2/11/11.

2.1/5  rDev -35.4%

Live review out of a pint glass at Bodega.

This is the first beer I have ever rated a beer a "1" for appearance. Again, I am pissed the %score for appearance is so low. A beer this ugly begs not to be sampled.

Looks like murky chocolate milk or sewage. Thick, dense opaque camo brown. Headless, no lace, though there is a slimy film coating my glass. Too much sediment... sometimes a filter can be man's best friend.

Thought it was on nitro until I realized it would never settle.

Smells interesting enough. Tea is very strong, black gunpowder tea, chai, faint vanilla. Earthy and powerful. Tons of smokiness. Some friends with me said it smelled like bacon. I didn't get bacon, but certainly an odd take on the style.

Taste is very sweet, more chai type flavors, some black tea, warming deep in my throat. Lots of twiggy, medicinal flavors. After a while it hurt my stomach, I couldn't finish more than half a pint. Reminded me of my Chinese mother-in-law's medicine soup that is made with weird roots and herbs.

Very dry. Bone dry, over-steeped tea dry. Thick and with some particulate detectable. Not pleasant.

Overall just not what a beer should be. The idea was very intriguing, but ultimately a failure. How did this make it's way into distribution???

3.5/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Appearance is just bad, it's closest to either polluted pond water or perhaps very light weight used motor oil. It's a dark brown with tons of haze. Head and lacing were good, which was it's only saving grace on appearance.

S - Aroma is quite pleasant with lots of wheatyness along with a strong malty sweetness.

T - An interesting mix of wheat, tea and smoke. Lots of smoke on the front, tea notes in the middle and all wheat in the aftertaste.

M - Mouthfeel is smooth and thick at the start but thin at the end. The wheat coats the mouth.

Overall...interesting. For anybody who really enjoys wheat beers this will be a standout. I've never had a wheat that combines the smoke and tea elements. Worth trying!

1.85/5  rDev -43.1%

I love Left Hand Brewery. I love there smoked line up. They make some of my favorite beer. This, however, is a train wreck. Murky brown color with almost no head. It looks like shit water, seriously. The aroma is the only saving grace. Love the smoke notes. Reminded me of oak smoke. Flavor was unexpectedly smokey and dominant. Caught some tea notes, especially on the end. Didn't get anything else. There is a lot of flavor in there but it's a train wreck. I'm sure some will laud over it's complexity but this is not complex, this is an ambush of flavor. Left Hand is better than this!

4.58/5  rDev +40.9%

On Draft at the launch party at The Fred.

Smoky nose! Would think smoke beer if you didn't tell me otherwise.

Flavor is more smoke, caramel, dark fruits, wheat. Little tea/ copper in finish.

Mouthfeel is soft. Not astringent, or harsh. Sweet at times.

Overall, love the complexity. A lot of flavor and taste to sort out.

TNT from Left Hand Brewing Company