TNT - Left Hand Brewing Company

Hazy Black Walnut, 21 SRM
ABV 7.90%
IBU 20
Malted Wheat, Premium 2-row, Munich and Chocolate WheatWarrior and Perle

"Brewed with Lapsang Souchong tea, a noted 'smoky' tea."

(Beer added by: obireidkenobi on 03-16-2011)
osusullins

2.88/5  rDev -11.4%

This is a weird beer for me. I can't tell if I like it or hate it.

Pours a dark brown with dark amber edges.

Smells strong of bacon and smoke.

Tastes like a bacon milkshake. The smoke flavors are powerful. I do not exaggerate when I say it tastes like smokey bacon. It is interesting, strange, good and bad all at the same time. The first few sips are very good, but by the time I got to the last of my glass (8oz serving) I just wanted to get the taste out of my mouth. Medium body. Taste lingers.

This beer really brings out the smoke when paired with smoked meats.

11-03-2011 03:04:16 | More by osusullins
langm12

Indiana

3.78/5  rDev +16.3%

Poured from a 22 ounce bomber into a pint glass.

A - Dark almost black brown. 1 1/2 finger tan head. Fairly good retention. Very good lacing.

S - Smoke, BBQ, peat, leather

T - If you could drink smoke it would take like this. Malty sweetness comes in once the smoke flavor subsides. A bit of fruit (apricot maybe?) and a good scotchy peat flavor. The tea comes through at the very end.

M - Medium mouth feel with more carbonation than I was expecting.

This is a wild beer. Definitely worth trying once. don't know if I would go back for another round.

10-21-2011 03:47:56 | More by langm12
beermaker1

3.98/5  rDev +22.5%

appearance - dark tree bark brown, minor head from tap pour. Fine bubbles and lacey.

smell - slightly smoked bbq, reminded me of texas grilling, bitter end coming from black tea. I love a good black tea.

Aroma- Wow, smell the black tea and sweet licorice, leather BBQ.

taste - A whole lot of bbq and very sweet, black tea just makes it even better, I had this on tap at the Breweery in Colorado during GABF. Loved it.

mouthfeel - lighter body then you would expect for a dark rich beer. Very drinkable.

Overall- I really liked this on tap. I would like to try it on a nitro tap. This was a fresh batch just on tap, so it was crisp and clean. I bought 2 bottles to bring home and cellar. 1 in 6 months and 1 in a year.

10-05-2011 02:41:05 | More by beermaker1
kylehay2004

3.85/5  rDev +18.5%

A: single finger off white thick head. Very murky brow with gray hues.

S: mesquite aroma. Smells like pulled pork honestly.

T: more bbq in the taste with caramel. Some apple and apricot notes as well.

M: moderate carbonation and medium body.

Overall: I liked this one more than I thought I would as I watched it fill my glass and begin to fill the air with the aroma of a backyard bbq. Not an everyday beer obviously but a must try.

10-02-2011 06:31:47 | More by kylehay2004
StaveHooks

Oklahoma

3.28/5  rDev +0.9%

A - Dark brown almost black body with 2 fingers of fluffy tan head.
Head vanishes.

S - Toasted leather, dark malts, smoked peat, sorghum, liquid smoke, iron minerals, strange herb perfume aroma, hickory wood chips.

T - Watered down liquid smoke, roasted malts, toasted sugars, unknown fruit character barely sneaks out among the savory smoked meat flavor. Hints of cocoa and muted coffee bean. Finishes sweet with slight hop bitterness.

M - Medium body, moderate carbonation.

Interesting twist on the style. The smoke character is bold, and has a good amount of sweetness to balance. I only noticed the black tea on the aftertaste. Try it for something different.

09-30-2011 22:29:44 | More by StaveHooks
ccrida

Oregon

2.58/5  rDev -20.6%

Phenolic, peaty smoke, and a dripping spoonful of diacetyl. I'm sorry, but I've wasted enough time on Left Hand brews to give them an in-depth review. I haven't had one in several years, and see they are still really poorly made. The body is kind of watery in spite of the jarring flavors, and the finish vapid. Fail.

09-16-2011 02:43:28 | More by ccrida
TheWhiskerReview

Tennessee

3.7/5  rDev +13.8%

Pours a muddy brownish-black with a 1-finger off tan head. Solid layer of retention throughout most of the brew. Lacing is mild.

The nose offers a first wiff of that intensely smoky Lapsang Souchong tea. It's starting to approach a Rauch in character but just not quite. It smells mostly to me like a big dose of hickory BBQ smoke. Underneath that lies the malty-sweet character of the Doppelbock- more aromas of fresh apples, sorghum, sweet prune, dark bread and maybe even a little currant. There's a odd sort of banana note, like you took a black-spotted overripe banana and then tried to caramelize the mush on the stovetop. I know you use bananas that ripe for making banana bread but here it's just a little strange. Not sure if it's from the brew itself or if that is the beer showing its first age spot. But overall, freshness is not in question here.

The palate is medium bodied and malty sweet, with a moderate carbonation and a bit of mid-tongue tannin from the tea no doubt- flavors of rich pear fruit, smoky cinnamon, raisin, dark bread, chocolate and again with that off banana note. The finish is a tad thin, but dry and very mouthwatering with tea-influenced herbal flavors.

I can very easily see how some people here could hate this. On one hand, it's kinda like an inbred cousin of a Rauchbier. But personally, although the flavor combination is weird, I kinda dig it. But I have a great appreciation for out-of-the-box thinking. This probably isn't something I'll buy again, but I'm also not a huge fan of malty lager styles to begin with. But if this sounds intriguing to you, I'd recommend trying it once for sure.

09-01-2011 18:34:57 | More by TheWhiskerReview
AmbsterSchrier

3.9/5  rDev +20%

02/16/2011 Bottle Date
(aged for about 6 months in our basement refrigerator at 40 deg)

I was really intrigued by the "out of the box" use of Lapsang Souchong tea leaves in a Weizen Dopplebock/Rachbier style. It's unconventionality appealed so we picked it up.

A--Murky deep brown, about zero clarity (probably the wheat I'd imagine), slight milky brown, fizzy head that dissipates quickly.
S--The tea gives it a smokey woody smell, a bit of tart fruit and then sweetness from the grain. Definitely detect some malty notes in the nose.
T--Sweeter and maltier on the front, finishes like a dark, bitter tea followed by a slightly fermented briny flavor that is reminiscent of the after-taste of miso soup followed by a sip of black tea. Smooth, drinkable and intriguing.
M--Medium body, slightly dry feel (again, I attribute this to the tea) more of one to sip on. Worthwhile if you enjoy novelty, appreciate a smokey beer or good strong cup of tea.

Serving type: bottle poured into pint glass

08-22-2011 04:52:37 | More by AmbsterSchrier
FLBeerGal

1.8/5  rDev -44.6%

Had this beer from a 22 oz bomber bottle. I was excited to try this beer because of the smokey element. Poured into a pint glass. Right away the smell hits you in the face. Leather, smoke, burnt tar. Not a good combination. The taste was overwhelming fake Liquid Smoke to me. I couldn't get passed the leather, burnt soy sauce, fake liquid smoke taste of this beer. I dumped it, and I can count on one hand how many times I've dumped a beer. Not. Good.

07-28-2011 18:42:13 | More by FLBeerGal
smokeypeat

Maryland

2.65/5  rDev -18.5%

Always looking for something with smokey accents so I was happy to find this on the shelves. Poured into a pint glass, the color is a deep dark brown, looks like bog water. Initially presents with a deep beige head but that quickly faded leaving just a light film on top. Smell is hard to pin down. Definitely some smoke, with a hint of soy sauce, and tea leaves. On tasting this beer my taste buds were just as confused as my nose had been. The smokey flavor is just off. Rather than getting that great smoke campfire quality that elicits fond memories of camping with friends/family, I get a smoke quality of cheap cigar ash that has been left out a long time. Their is a soy sauce thing in the taste as well, but its like it had been left in the sauce pan and got burnt. The tea aspects on this beer create this background flavor that seems like dark fruit that is past its time. The mouthfeel doesn't help because the carbonation seems low, making this a thicker mess to have to get down. Overall I was really disappointed in this beer. I know Left Hand can make a good beer with smokey elements because I really enjoyed their Fade to Black vol 2 porter. This one just didn't work.

07-28-2011 14:59:54 | More by smokeypeat
zaphodchak

3.95/5  rDev +21.5%

Left hand TNT

Poured from a bomber into an Aventinus glass. An aggressive pour yields a 1.5 finger beige head atop a very deep chocolatey body.

Smells like chocolate and smoke (specifically lapsang souchong).

Wos, this taste is odd. It's full-bodied, tart, and savory-smoky. How something could be both smoky and sour is mysterious, but considering it's made with lapsang souchong (a very, very smoky tea), it makes sense. Plenty of rich chocolatey malt as well, supported by the wheat. There's also some pruney pleum; I think that's where the tartness is coming from.

Mouthfeel is thick and not very carbonated; it could actually stand a bit more to lighten it up.

Overall this is quite an interesting brew; and coincidentally very similar to one I planned on trying to homebrew one day.

07-28-2011 03:58:26 | More by zaphodchak
claytong

Vermont

3.43/5  rDev +5.5%

appearance - dark tree bark brown, minor head from tap pour

smell - sweet smoked bbq, reminded me of texas grilling, bitter end coming from black tea (not a big black tea fan)

taste - my god thats a lot of bbq and very sweet, black tea just makes it even odder, i gave them extra points for creativity. certainly if you know what to expect and were pairing this it would be a superb and unique beer. but on its own, i didnt really like it.

mouthfeel - light body and just cloying from the oversweetness, glad i had a imperial stout to get it out of my mouth

07-11-2011 17:48:22 | More by claytong
grittybrews

Washington

3.48/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured a dark cola brown into a tulip with a finger of khaki head. Aroma of smoke and toffee.

Moderate carbonation and a fairly thin mouthfeel. Tons of mesquite smoke up front with some fairly strong caramel malt and a slight citrus character. Lots of smoke on the back end as well.

Pleasant enough, but the BBQ mesquite quality seems out of balance and becomes a bit too dominant after a while.

07-11-2011 04:05:42 | More by grittybrews
beergod1

2.63/5  rDev -19.1%

NO NO NO....Hard to finish this beer. Split a bomber (thank God I shared) Poured dark brown with an average frothy brown head that lasted, with good lacing. Moderate roasted malt, wet wood and horrible smoke aroma. Medium body with a smooth texture and light carbonation. Medium smoked sweet flavor with a medium smooth sweet finish. Some Tastes I can't pin point, maybe it's the Tea? Bad combination, no balance. By far Left Hands worst brew, I have an Imperial Stout from them next....Stay tuned.

07-08-2011 23:17:11 | More by beergod1
JayS2629

Alabama

3.4/5  rDev +4.6%

It pours a dark, muddy brown, almost black with a creamy tan head, nice retention and creamy walls of lace.

The smell is odd, hickory smoked meat up front with some roasted notes, toasted nuts, and woody qualities.

Not a lot of sweetness, but some caramel and toffee notes topped off with some bitter cocoa. Nutty qualites throughout the dominating smoked meat flavors. Hickory and campfire. Floral, and earthy notes on the back. Earthy, herbal tea notes as well.

Thick body and creamy, smooth in the middle. A little bitter on the finish. A definite sipper. Nothing that made me want to buy another.

07-02-2011 16:57:05 | More by JayS2629
corby112

2.58/5  rDev -20.6%

Draft at the Rackhouse in Denver, CO.

Pours a deep, dark chocolate brown cor that's almost black and completely opaque with a one finger off white/light beige head that quickly settles into a thin lasting ring.  Minimal spots of lace left behind.

Very smokey aroma that smells almost burnt with hints of charcoal, butane and campfire with sweeter notes underneath, especially chocolate and toffee.  The smoke kind of overpowers though with an ashy character.

Medium bodied with a strange combination of burnt smokiness and sweeter malt.  Unpleasant burnt malt flavor that tasted like charcoal and ashtray.  Not in a good way like most smoked beers.  Sweet chocolate toffee and caramel and maybe even some dark fruit.  I know that this is made with tea but it doesn't taste like it.  Not herbal at all, just smokey and not very flavorful or complex.

Overall this was very disappointing. A weizenbock made with tarry schong tea made me excited for a complex smokey wheat beer but it's kind of a one dimensional mess.

06-21-2011 06:13:14 | More by corby112
rrski198

Georgia

4.43/5  rDev +36.3%

A: deep brown/black with a good size off white head. Sticks around forever.

S: Smoked meat right up front. Earthy and dirty. VERY UNIQUE! I gaveit a 5 because it is unlike anything I've smelled before and it is quite pleseant.

T: So odd. Sweetness and the an odd smoked flavor. Almost like a smoked porter witout the body or roast. I am getting this wierd citrus dryness at the back end that I cannot quite nail down. Anyway you slice it, this is quite unique and damn good.

M: For the abv it is more watery than i would think. The carbonation is below average which accentuates the smoke.

O: Out of this world good. I cannot think of any beer in which I have had recently that has unique. I really dig this and would absolutely buy again. Awesome offering.

06-19-2011 02:35:03 | More by rrski198
jefferz5000

3.68/5  rDev +13.2%

Finally found a bottle of this unique beer. Although many seem to have a negative opinion of it, I just had to try it. I love smoky brews.

TNT pours a dark, nutty brown hue that is not quite opaque. Head is a light beige formed from many tiny bubbles. A nice ring around the glass hangs out after most of the rest disappears.

Aroma is pretty intense. Very smoky, like a bold Rauchbier. That's the first thing that hits you, smoke. Then you get some other almost odd qualities. Some tea qualities come through and perhaps some anise. Hard to pickup much else through the smoke.

The taste follows the nose with it's huge smokiness. The finish is a bit weird. You really get the tea toward the end. The aftertaste, aside from the smokiness, is a tad unpleasant. I'm not sure what people hate about this flavor, though. Of course, like I said, I love smoky beer.

Mouthfeels is rather disappointing, it's quite thin. My brother, who is not a beer nerd, even mentioned that. Carbonation is moderate and fitting. But this is a thin beer, no doubt.

Overall, I'm glad I picked this up. I think the classification in which this beer is placed might throw people off. It definitely is more reminiscent of a Rauchbier, with some added strange qualities. This is still enjoyable to me.

06-16-2011 03:52:38 | More by jefferz5000
Daniellobo

District of Columbia

Assertive and intriguing take on a doppelbock, smoked and sweet in quite an unusual way.

Presentation: 22 oz brown capped bottle. Label with an elaborate retro/playful illustration of steaming teapots and formal characters splashing the brew up as the cup reaches their lips. Side narrative with a playful take on the AC/DC song explaining the intent of the brew. Served in a weiss glass.

A - Murky brown pour with a rich frothy head, settling very nicely, good retention and lacing.

S - Smoked nose, sweet sense with a touch of wheathy banana.

T - Hefty smoked tea malt, the Lapsang tea works assertively with a sweet caramel sense with touches of faint banana. Quite explosive? That would explain the name there… Notes of chocolate, very malty, assertive smoked sense throughout with herbal touches. This is far complex than what one would sense at first.

M - Medium body and carbonation, with a nice smooth flow punctuated by a light dry finish.

O - Sure enough it is a challenging brew, but if one is keen on a smoked/sweet tea brew this is rather well done and stimulating.

Notes: Not to style and liking it quite a bit for that. Provocative use of the Lapsang Souchong tea, providing and assertive smoked edge and a very sweet range, which sure is not going to be for any palate. I would not mind keeping one of this around for the right occasion.

06-16-2011 01:19:32 | More by Daniellobo
rhoadsrage

3.9/5  rDev +20%

(Served in a dimple mug)

A- This beer pours a dense walnut brown body wit no light passing through. There is a boiling light tan head that is creamy and bubbly.

S- This beer has a smoked tea and juniper needle quality with a clean soft smoke note in the finish. There is a nice black tea note that comes through as the beer opens.

T- The tangy pine needle smoke flavor is earthy with a light burning leaves note and some soft bubblegum ester notes in the dry finish. As the beer opens there are some dark toffee notes and malt notes that come through.

M- This beer has a medium-light mouthfeel with a tight fizz in the finish and no alcohol heat noticed.

O- This beer has a nice smoke flavor that is unique and very pleasant just very little malt or hop character to support it. The smoke and esters from the hefe yeast are a bit odd together. Lapsang souchong bubblegum

06-15-2011 13:15:27 | More by rhoadsrage
NEhophead

2.95/5  rDev -9.2%

22 fl oz brown bottle, served in a weizen glass.

Bottled on 02/16/2011.

Muddy molasses in color; almost opaque, syrup-like consistency. Dense, coffee colored inch-high foam. A bit of condensed lacing with not much strength.

Prominent, rauch-like peat smoked malt over a somewhat reserved banana, clove, and orange peel background. Notes of semi-sweet caramel and milk chocolate. Pretty dynamic aromas, although not quite in perfect harmony.

Smoked, cured meat that controls this weizenbock's flavor from the outset. The smoke in combination with an assertive clove creates a medicinal herbal spice. A lemon, orange solvency makes for a sourness that is quite off-putting.

A full, medium bodied; very active on the palate on account of some intense carbonation. Thin at mid-sip on account of the sour flavor quality.

Wow, this one is an interesting offering...I'm not really sure where to start. The peat smoked malt aroma and flavor is quite intriguing; however, it created a lot of off-flavors in areas that warranted more attention. One to pass on.

06-13-2011 01:00:39 | More by NEhophead
Gehrig

3.7/5  rDev +13.8%

Enjoyed on tap at the Brilliant Blind Pig.

One fat finger of tan froth tops a murky amber-ruby body, nice duration and some lacing on the mug. Some chocolate, berry, and caramel peek through what is on the whole what can best be described as a perfume-y aroma. My hunch is that this stems from whatever yeast strain Left hand is using for TNT, but whatever it is, the pungent aroma is nearly out of control and, despite some appeal, tamps down on what effervescence the other flavors can offer.

The taste, however, atones for the exceedingly floral offerings that assail the nose. Plenty of fruit--most notably berry and orange--along with ample chocolate malt make TNT a tasty beverage. Good mouthfeel, effervescent with a crisp creamy smooth texture.

This is not the bets Weizenbock I have had, in good part because the smell borders on off-putting. Yet overall, this is delicious and accessible despite its flaws. Strong and smooth, Left Hand--which is historically very hit-and-miss with me--has hit close to the mark with TNT, a solid, flavorful beer well worth trying.

06-12-2011 21:18:15 | More by Gehrig
lonestar4lunch

3.13/5  rDev -3.7%

I keep saying I am done with Left Hand but I enjoy a good weizenbock so I picked up this bomber. Turns out this is not your typical weizenbock.

This pours a dark, cloudy brown with light lacing. The aroma is strong of smoked malts, almost like an end of the night and the embers in the fire are almost out smell. The taste is strong of smoke and malty sweetness.

The mouthfeel isn't as full as I thought it was going to be based on the look. It finishes not like a beer but like I am eating some smoked, fatty brisket (needs some salt).

This is very interesting. I can't decide on this one. It is enjoyable but is it because I can't stop thinking about smoking a brisket? It is very
drinkable, I will say that.

06-10-2011 20:20:12 | More by lonestar4lunch
Mario61Aler

3.93/5  rDev +20.9%

A. Deep murky dark brown, faint head with very little lacing.

S. Smelled of a smoked beef roast over an oak fire and encrusted with an English breakfast tea that was toasted first complex aroma.

T. darkm fruits fragrant tea, smoke, dark malt, unsweetened coca-cola finish.

M. Medium to heavy-bodied, definitely a sipper, an excellent example of a smoked beer.

O. I really liked this one as an end of the day sipping beer, watching TV and relaxing with the wife.

06-05-2011 02:54:56 | More by Mario61Aler
WastingFreetime

Wisconsin

4.08/5  rDev +25.5%

Bomber Date Stamped 02/16/11
First of all, I have noticed that many of the reviews for this brew are rating this brew lower for having a smoke flavor. This bothers me, because this beer is for all intents and purposes a RAUCHBIER with a weizenbock base. But instead of using a smoked malt, it is brewed with Lapsang Souchong tea leaves. Seriously. If you don't already know, Lapsang Souchong is the equivalent to the serious tea-drinker's world of what a smoked malt is for a beer nerd. They dry the tea leaves over a smokey pinewood fire until the tea is saturated with smoke flavor. So what we have here is an extremely mutant beer, a Weizen Doppelbock Rauchbier / Black Tea hybrid! It is supposed to taste smokey!
And also, you may notice I have aged my bomber a few months. This was intentional, I find that a few months in the basement smooths everything out into a better balance for my particular taste. On to the review:
A. Deep murky dark brown, faint fizzler of a head which needs work. I'm happy with the color, but not happy with the lackluster head.
S. Smoked ham gravy slathered on biscuits with a cup of English Breakfast Tea on the side. Some coca-cola and teriyaki sauce scents as well. A left behind cigar made of tea leaves rather than rolled tobacco smoldering fragrantly in the ashtray of a leather upholstered smoking room.
T. Plums, soy sauce, fragrant tea, smoke, black wheat malt, unsweetened coca-cola finish.
M. Medium to heavy-bodied, definitely a sipper, but well worth trying if you enjoy smoked beers.

06-02-2011 16:33:22 | More by WastingFreetime