TNT - Left Hand Brewing Company

Hazy Black Walnut, 21 SRM
ABV 7.90%
IBU 20
Malted Wheat, Premium 2-row, Munich and Chocolate WheatWarrior and Perle

"Brewed with Lapsang Souchong tea, a noted 'smoky' tea."
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
3.37/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I can see why other reviewers have given this brew poor scores. To start with, this is not a Weizen Dopplebock (think Heavy Seas, Hang Ten). Similar enough to Smuttynose S'muttonator....crossed with a Rauchbier.... perhaps a cousin of sorts. That being said, I am not exactly sure what the brewers at Left Hand were thinking with their interpretation of this style.

Eye Candy: Dark mahogany with a small tan bubbly head that rapidly vanished. Appears thick and viscous, dangerous but deceitful.

The Nose Knows: Initial full frontal assault of smoked bacon (cold) that thankfully dissipates at this brew warms, giving way to an essence of dark wheat, sweet herbal tea, figs, candied plums, and lastly a zap of clove.

Tongueland: Thin, thin, thin. Similar mouthfeel to the Left Hand Milk Stout. Both beers would qualify as a black lager in terms of mouthfeel on the East Coast IMO. This beer is actually quite complex with many flavors longing to emerge, given ample time by the connoisseur. From the fridge, the smoke was a tad overwhelming and certainly overpowering. After approx 1 hour of being exposed to ambient temperature conditions, the complexity began to delicately unfold and emerge like a Lotus flower exposed to the radiance of the sun.

Slight sweet smoke, reminiscent of honey and mesquite. Dark fruit middle, hint of dark wheat, essence of honey. Finish of over ripe mashed bananas, dash of sweet red herbal tea, but mostly spicy clove with a poof of cocoa. Impressive in terms of the depth that is present; however, this brew is agonizingly muddled. Cellaring may improve the delineation. The clove spice could be interpreted as overpowering, but I prefer a robust spiced ale.

Bender Factor: In April, one and done. But release this baby in the cold days of December and I am turning down the thermostat. This baby WILL warm you up!

I recommend exposing this brew to ambient conditions for minimum of one hour before truly reviewing. Taste TNT fridge cold, then taste after the time period has elapsed. You will be pleasantly surprised :) And amazed! (2,072 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +23.6%

On tap at Brick Store Pub.

Pours dark mahogany with a one finger tan head that dissipates to a thin layer and leaves good lacing down the glass. You can't see any light though this beer. This is the first weizenbock I've ever had and I'd have to say the color is a little weird kind of has grayish hues around the edges. But definitely unique looking which I found attractive.

Smells of leather and dark fruits such as figs and plums. Just a hint of smoke in the nose.

Tastes smokier than it smells. I like the taste a lot...I pick up the dark fruits again. Not much hop bitterness or flavor to speak of.

Mouthfeel is medium with a dry finish. Quite a bit different on the palate than any other wheat beer I've had.

I am new to this style but if this beer is anything like others in this genre than I would definitely like to try more of them. I could drink a few of these in one sitting. (894 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -19.3%

I am not quite sure what to expect with this one. I have brewed a number of WeizenBocks myself, and this is a hard style to hit and have it taste good. I constantly compare everything to Aventinus, so I am a bit jaded. This one has tea in it, so I am expecting something different from the get-go. Let's see what Left Hand has to offer on this one:

Appearance: Pours a very dark brown color that you really can't see light through even when tipped. There was a small heaf of tan bubbles on top that were rather large and fizzy that didn't really stick around for all that long. Then the head was a small ring where the beer meets the glass. There is no lacing left on the glass after drinking the beer.

Aroma: The aroma is really earthy. I am glad that I knew that there is tea in here as I would swear it was infused with potting soil (they "dry dirted" their beer). As the beer sits for a bit the aroma is getting more minty and a bit less earthy. There is a rauch component coming out clearly now that I don't know is actual rauchmalt or from the tea. Any weizen yeast aromatics are reserved. They may be giving me a bit of clove, but there is no banana in here for sure, which is a good thing IMO.

Taste: The smoke and earthy notes are the primary components of the flavor. There is some evident alcoholic warming that is being added to by the acidity of the dark malt and I guess from the tea too. Overall the flavor gets harsh rather quickly. There is some solid malt in this beer, but it seems that the basis being dark malts isn't playing as well with the darkness of the tea as you would hope and it gets pretty seriously acidic quickly and that stays with you into the finish. As the beer sits, the malt is turning less smokish and getting a Rye malt edge to it, that I am not sure what I think of. The alcohol softens up some as the beer warms up, and the flavor profile is starting to favor the caramel. The beer itself is medium bodied with ample to a bit low of carbonation.

Opinion: I am normally a pretty big fan of what Left Hand does, but this beer has left me guessing. I am not sure what they were going for here, except for a reason for a collaborative effort with their local coffee shop. Perhaps this is their offering to compete with Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout. If so, they missed the boat. At least the beer is getting sweeter as it warms, but I am not sure that I am going to be able to finish this one. I think that this will be the first Left Hand beer that I have pitched, but it is just not "doing it for me". Sorry, Left Hand. Maybe your next one. (2,582 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +29.4%

Bomber poured into a Darkness Tulip

Appearance: Very dark, nearly black. Very thin offwhite head.

Aroma: Wow, even after reading the other reviews, the smell struck me as "different." Smokey, meaty, almost like a BBQ. But then there's the tea smell hiding in there as well.

Taste: The smoke hits first, but it balances out with a slightly sweet tea flavor. Then the smoke returns for a slightly bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: A little thin, but I think it works. The smell initially made me expect a thicker more syrupy mouthfeel, rather than the thin fairly clean feel.

Overall: I was a little worried reading the other reviews. Thankfully, I think they're a bit harsh. This is an interesting beer. Rich smokey flavors with a subtle sweet tea underside. I liked it. (766 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -15.3%

A: Pours a dark, nearly opaque brown color. A two finger beige head forms, and gently recedes to a ring. Some sticky lace is left behind.
S: Big meaty smoke. Charcoal, burnt toast. Light sugary sweetness and some chocolate.
T: Follows the nose. Though the smoke is even more up front. Burnt charcoal and ash. Some sweetness lingers, not much else. This is a Weisenbock?
M/D: A medium body that is light on the carbonation. Thin and watery. A bit of burning alcohol in the back of the throat. Not something I am going to back to, and I don't really care to finish the bomber.

This is not something I enjoy. I don't understand were the tea comes into play here, because I get nothing, and way to much smoke. A very harsh beer. Not a Weisenbock at all, and not very pleasant. I would not recommend it. (799 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +46.9%

Review from notes on 4/15, tasted side by side against SmokeJumper.
Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a murky brown with a thin tan head.
S: Smoke, malty goodness, tea.
T: Heavy blast of smoke on the initial taste, followed by some sweet tea, then some citrus, and finally onto a balance between smoke and malt on the finish.
M: Medium carbonation, medium to heavy body, smooth finish.
O: This beer is probably getting knocked too much for what it is, a heavy smoke beer. I applaud Left Hand for trying something new in the way of smoke beers, and I will gladly buy this again because I personally like it. Also, this is certainly not deserving of the poor ratings it is getting similar to that of BA Wake Up Dead. (736 characters)

3.47/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

11 ounce goblet - $7.00 at Taco Mac in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Dispensed a dark brown body with a rather scant, wispy, off-white head. A bit of a gunky appearance.

Smell: Smokey, gamey meatiness in the forefront of the aroma with auxiliary, increasingly lighter notes of dark wheat-based bread, bruised 'nanas, dark fruits, caramel, and chocolate.

Taste: Begins with a dark breadiness, slightly toasted, with a parcel of earthy, mealy nuts. Sweet drizzle of simple syrup. Smallest hint of chocolate. Low level of hop bitterness. Distinctly meaty lapsang souchong component along with some forgotten bananas and a smear of fruit gastrique. Small touch of alcohol. Smokey, sweetish finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium-low carbonation. Smoothly textured.

Overall: I think I liked the idea much better than I liked the actual beer. (844 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +18.1%

Aroma is smoky and yeasty with a malty undertone and a firm hint of caramel. It pours a dark opaque brown with a respectable, if not persistent, light tan head. Flavor is yeasty, smoky and malty with a caramel undertone and a fruity hint - could there be a bit of raspberry in there? Texture is smooth and nicely fizzy, leaving a fruity tingle behind. (351 characters)

A: Poured from a bottle to a weizen glass. Had a dark, mahogany brown color and a thick, murky consistency. There was a big, off white, long-lasting, foamy head. Pretty good, but not great, lacing.

S: A definitive smokiness pervaded the aroma, along with malt and some wheat.

T: Tasted of malt, wheat, a sugary component (caramel?), and that smoky quality. The advertised tea was also present, but it was very mild. Almost more like a rauchbier than a weizenbock, but a pretty good flavor nonetheless.

M: A good amount of carbonation with a super dry finish. Medium-bodied.

D: An interesting beer that isn't quite of its style, but is still drinkable. (655 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +15.6%

A - Poured out a murky dark, brown color with a small, short-lived head of foam. It left little to no lace.

S - It smelled very smoky with some bacon-like aromas.

T - It tasted smoky and malty with some caramel and toffee. Almost like a rauchbier.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A little light bodied for a big beer.

O - This is interesting. It helps knowing that this tea is smoked. Do not drink this thinking you are getting a traditional weizenbock. (462 characters)

2.17/5  rDev -33.4%

Poured into an Aventinus glass.

Pours a deep, murky dark chocolate brown with a mocha head of about two fingers. Copious lacing evident.

Aromas of dark tea, malty, toasted wheat, citrus (orange), not a good mix. Aromas are all over the place, and nothing really works together.

Flavor is kind of "meaty" with dark fruits (mainly prunes), some smokiness.

Mouthfeel is big, chewy. Good level of carbonation. Smoke ting lingers.

Overall not a good combination. Not pleasant, will likely be a drain pour. (505 characters)

3.57/5  rDev +9.5%

On-tap at Cypress St. Pint and Plate in Atlanta.

Pours an opaque light brown color with a one-finger tan head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of smoked malts with very light amounts of bruised banana aromas. Also present are moderate amounts of herbal tea and lighter amounts of wheat.

Tastes similar to how it smells, though the smoked malts are more overpowering. Smoked malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by even more smoked malts. Joining in shortly thereafter are mild amounts of herbal tea flavors. Midway through the sip slightly sweet toasted malt flavors make a brief appearance, as do hints of overripe bananas, before fading out into a mildly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It’s got a nice thickness with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is OK. I finished my glass without any problems however I’m not sure about another.

Overall I wasn’t a big fan of this beer and wish I’d gone with the house beer for half the price, not to mention it’s Sweetwater IPA. Interesting but not worth seeking out. (1,084 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

pours a very murky brown with a decent sized khaki colored head that quickly settles to a thin film and leaves a bit of lacing as it makes its way down the glass.

malty bock aromas with some graininess and wheat toast, but plenty of herbal tea spiked with citrus. doesnt quite work together too well.

some toasty malt flavors with some raisin and plum, but with significant bitter herbal tea mixed in there as well. Im not sure this was the correct style to use this tea with. flavors do not mesh well together at all, and actually get worse as the beer warms. some campfire smoke and astringency as well.

almost medium bodied with rather light carbonation and a smoked herb aftertaste that lingers unpleasantly.

not very impressed. sounded interesting, and it is interesting, but overall its totally not for me, and not something I would drink again. (855 characters)

3.55/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Murky brown color with a yeasty final pour. Head is tanned, short, and a little thin. Not bad in the color, but the carbonation and head need some work.

The nose is smoky, with a must of dark fruits wafting from the depths. I'm interested, but not in love.

Sweet and smoky, with phenolic yeasts and the browned malts making big headway against the previously dominating smoke character. Herbal and spicy, harkening to a "typical" weizenbock, but the smoke component makes this one quite unusual.

A little overcarbonated, which actually helps keep the smoke flavor off the palate and allows some of the raisin and banana. Still, not an overall great effort. Pretty weird for the style and not in a good way. (712 characters)

3.52/5  rDev +8%

22 oz bottle poured into a weizen glass. A thick mocha-tan creamy head starts off about an inch thick, then recedes to an 1/4 inch cap. Body color is a thick, muddy brown. Everything about the way this beer looks says "Thick".

Smell has a strange smoked bacon aroma that took me by surprise. I was not expecting that. I don't smell the black tea, but I do get a hint of the wheat. The taste still has a smokey quality, but the bacon is not as intense. Though it is dark roasted, the wheat still retains some clean character. It helps cut the heaviness of the heavy malt bill. The black tea comes in through the finish giving a mild, herbal tea bitterness.

The mouthfeel is heavy and super chewy. This could be a meal in of itself, however a full 22 oz bottle is pushing the limits. The bacon character was a little off-putting at first. Just not what I was expecting. As the beer warms, flavors mellow out and it is more approachable. Not completely blown away, so maybe only a quarter stick. (994 characters)

3.39/5  rDev +4%

A-Agree with other users that it did pour sort of murky, but settles into a deep brown with about two fingers worth of tan head

S-malty, sweet, and a little smokey, hints of tea in there also

T-Lots of smoke and malt flavor, spicy and yeasty, and then finishes with a tea taste which I find off putting with the smoke and malts.

M-very smooth, starts out with a medium body but ends thin, low carbonation

Kind of mixed feelings about this, I like the smokiness of the beer, but I am not a fan of the tea flavor which seems to me thins the beer out a lot. (559 characters)

3.33/5  rDev +2.1%

This is destined to be a divisive beer. I kinda like it, but can easily see how someone might not...at all.
Deep, deep brown. Thick and clearly unfiltered. Darkest weizenbeer I've had and it looks almost like a big stout.
The nose is pretty close to a rauchbier. I've been told it's distinct to the tea and the nose is authentic, but to me it's not too far from rauchweizen.
The taste is sweet up front, a bit like like a normal weizenbock but is followed by big BBQ-sauce like smokiness. Tea is a bit lost when this cooler, but shows itself more as it warms. It effectively blends with the smoke, too. The problem? All of the chocolate/banana/spice flavors are buried beneath the smoke, tea, and BBQ notes. If that doesn't appeal to you, this beer will be horrid. It's probably something a rauchbier fan might enjoy (overlooking the Reinheitsgebot issue) or at least have a taste for.
As I work my way in, I think it becomes a bit tiresome and 1-dimensional. 1/2 a bottle is more than enough.
Not terrible, and tasty at first. Drinkability is pretty low, though.
Interesting, but likely not something I'd be eager to revisit.
Hmmm...some good elements and some really odd ones. (1,179 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -22.4%

Had this one on tap this evening at Hops & Pie in the Highland neighborhood in North Denver. I had considered purchasing a bottle for a few seconds the other day, but passed. Glad I did. Medium brown color, with a scant off-white head. Aromas of light smoke, dark raisins, bananas and wheat. Similar on the palate, but hidden behind an overwhelming (and unpleasant) smokiness. (376 characters)

1.82/5  rDev -44.2%

Long silence of reviews broken. Why? Well, this is the first drain pour I've done in years.

It looks OK, dark and cloudy, but has little aroma, and the mouthfeel is off...an affect of the tea I'm assuming.

Phenolic/tannin flavor completely takes over whatever this beer "should" be. Tastes like a bad batch of home brew (and I have brewed exactly one bad batch of home brew with tea). Astringency is king in this beer's land of disappointment only made that much harder by the absurd price.

Use your wallet (trust me, close it) to coup this beer out of rotation. (568 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -10.7%

A - Brown, and it is a bit murky, but the hue is deep so I don't see why so many reviewers have been flat-out offended by it. It has a scant off-white head.

S - The nose is good. Not Schlenkerla good, but not terribly far off. Campfire, smoked salmon, smoked mullet, etc.

T - The taste is a bit of a dropoff. Maybe a huge dropoff. It is very sweet and reminds me a lot of chewing tobacco. I am not an expert on 'chaw' by any means, but I've done most things once including chewing tobacco. It tastes like the Levi Garrett that I had in 7th grade.

M - The feel is perfectly acceptable.

O - I don't really like this one, overall. There are aspects that are good, but too many parts are out of place here.

It is worth noting that it can be redeemed by a pepperoncini pairing... The spiciness of the pepper quells the sweetness of the taste. (842 characters)

3.38/5  rDev +3.7%

Watching opening day baseball with a few beers,hopefully the Tigers can get a win against the f###g Yankees.Poured into my Aventinus glass a cloudy,hazy russett color with a large fluffy beige colored head.The tea really stands out in the nose along wich spiced,smokey phenols,not over done in my mind.A little light and sharp in the mouth,smoke and phenols dominate the flavors,quite spicy and yeasty,the smoke seems to be a little off.The beer started out promising but did fizzle out a little when came to flavor and feel,I think its a little heavy handed in the yeast department,the tea didnt play a big role on the palate for me until the beer warmed a little and it didnt really cut thru the phenols.Bottled on 2/11/11. (725 characters)

2.15/5  rDev -34%

Live review out of a pint glass at Bodega.

This is the first beer I have ever rated a beer a "1" for appearance. Again, I am pissed the %score for appearance is so low. A beer this ugly begs not to be sampled.

Looks like murky chocolate milk or sewage. Thick, dense opaque camo brown. Headless, no lace, though there is a slimy film coating my glass. Too much sediment... sometimes a filter can be man's best friend.

Thought it was on nitro until I realized it would never settle.

Smells interesting enough. Tea is very strong, black gunpowder tea, chai, faint vanilla. Earthy and powerful. Tons of smokiness. Some friends with me said it smelled like bacon. I didn't get bacon, but certainly an odd take on the style.

Taste is very sweet, more chai type flavors, some black tea, warming deep in my throat. Lots of twiggy, medicinal flavors. After a while it hurt my stomach, I couldn't finish more than half a pint. Reminded me of my Chinese mother-in-law's medicine soup that is made with weird roots and herbs.

Very dry. Bone dry, over-steeped tea dry. Thick and with some particulate detectable. Not pleasant.

Overall just not what a beer should be. The idea was very intriguing, but ultimately a failure. How did this make it's way into distribution??? (1,264 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Appearance is just bad, it's closest to either polluted pond water or perhaps very light weight used motor oil. It's a dark brown with tons of haze. Head and lacing were good, which was it's only saving grace on appearance.

S - Aroma is quite pleasant with lots of wheatyness along with a strong malty sweetness.

T - An interesting mix of wheat, tea and smoke. Lots of smoke on the front, tea notes in the middle and all wheat in the aftertaste.

M - Mouthfeel is smooth and thick at the start but thin at the end. The wheat coats the mouth.

Overall...interesting. For anybody who really enjoys wheat beers this will be a standout. I've never had a wheat that combines the smoke and tea elements. Worth trying! (718 characters)

1.91/5  rDev -41.4%

I love Left Hand Brewery. I love there smoked line up. They make some of my favorite beer. This, however, is a train wreck. Murky brown color with almost no head. It looks like shit water, seriously. The aroma is the only saving grace. Love the smoke notes. Reminded me of oak smoke. Flavor was unexpectedly smokey and dominant. Caught some tea notes, especially on the end. Didn't get anything else. There is a lot of flavor in there but it's a train wreck. I'm sure some will laud over it's complexity but this is not complex, this is an ambush of flavor. Left Hand is better than this! (588 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +40.2%

On Draft at the launch party at The Fred.

Smoky nose! Would think smoke beer if you didn't tell me otherwise.

Flavor is more smoke, caramel, dark fruits, wheat. Little tea/ copper in finish.

Mouthfeel is soft. Not astringent, or harsh. Sweet at times.

Overall, love the complexity. A lot of flavor and taste to sort out. (332 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last